PDA

View Full Version : when to use water injection in f4u

shop21BB13F44
11-13-2011, 06:09 AM
I read somewhere that the water injection is not effective at all altitudes and just overheats the engine. Can anyone tell me when to use water injection most effectively?
Thanks

Treetop64
11-13-2011, 08:11 AM
What and where did you read about this?

Water injection is effective because it prevents the engine from overheating when you're running the engine beyond it's limitations. However, once the water runs out while the engine is operating at such high stresses, it will surely overheat and destroy itself. Water injection is not meant to be simply left on all the time; it is for immediate emergency purposes only.

My recommendation for you is to simply continue reading reliable sources on the subject in books, the web, etc., and practice in the game to see what works best for you. You're going to get a wild variety of opinions in the forums.

Luno13
11-13-2011, 11:12 AM
I think you have continuous water injection for maybe 5 or 10 minutes. You're not supposed to boost to those kinds of levels for any length of time, however.

While the water/methanol does help cool the engine, it's still going to overheat because of the high manifold pressure. All you're really doing is delaying the inevitable.

In the Corsair and most fighters, I cruise at 75% power or less, climb at 80-85% power and fight at a range of power. I lower manifold pressure and rpms when diving to get more speed, but I go full 100-100 while climbing. I hardly ever have to keep the radiator flaps open during a fight unless I've gotten into a position where I'm too slow and need full power.

The water/methanol injection comes in during times that I need that tiny extra boost. I typically don't leave it on for more than a minute, and usually just several seconds. If I'm running away horizontally and have no room to dive, I'll use it for a few minutes.

Essentially, it's for emergencies only.

PhantomKira
11-14-2011, 08:07 AM
As stated, for emergencies only. Use it when that extra little bit of power will [might] get you out of a tight spot. Most effective use is after a long run with a cool engine (low[er] power settings, of course), so that the engine won't immediately overheat when you push it to and beyond its limits. Look in the history books, and that's exactly what they did in the real world, keeping lower settings and cool engines as long as possible before combat knowing they'd heat up quickly. (That sounds a lot to me like what you're describing. The engine's already hot from a maximum RPM run, and when you ask more of it, it's so hot it has no more to give, and overheats. This is typical of how newer sim pilots fly their sim airplanes. Balls to the wall and then they wonder why the thing overheats. You don't need all that power all the time, and you're drinking fuel at a tremendous rate at maximum settings, too.) Also, when climbing to intercept, where every minute of climb will give you a few extra hundred feet, and hopefully position of advantage for the attack.

Personally, I rarely use it, mostly because I'm afraid of loosing it when I need it most. Also, I've discovered that a 90-95% power setting will get me all the speed I need in combat without overheating the engine.

As with Leno, I normally run 60-70% in cruise, maybe 80%-85% for high cruise in a war zone. It takes time to build up speed, so you'll want highish settings in a combat zone so you already have that speed, but that doesn't mean you have to run flat out all the time.

One more detail. If you look at the power settings for the P-38, (my favorite), you'll notice that the corresponding IL-2 HUD power settings don't correspond. The IL-2 settings are wayyy too low. For example, when I take off using Lockeed recommended settings, 55in MP on the engines, the HUD states I'm only pulling 80% power or so. 100% is 60in MP, which is, according to Lockeed, emergency power settings. Therefore, one would reason, 80% in IL-2 really is closer to 100% of the maximum power you should be running when not in an absolutely-need-it combat situation.

deskpilot
11-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, that clarifies things for me nicely. I will use water injection for emergencies only.

mortoma
11-20-2011, 10:54 PM
I have flown this sim since the demo was out and I always use the WEP, MW50 water, ethanol, notleistung ( spelling? ) and Forzash ( spelling again? ) or whatever the heck you want to call the variations of boost or extra cooling. At least during combat! You say use it only during an emergency? Well fighter combat is always an emergency, at least in real life. Because you kill or you get killed. In a sim we live on after we get "killed" of course. But it's an emergency in the sim too if you want your virtual life to go in a mission.

That stuff being said, some of these guys are giving you advice as if it's in the real planes.
In the sim, damage to your engine from any form of boost or extra cooling is not modeled. Only damage from overheating itself is modeled, with WEP or whatever on or not!

With German fighters some serious damage is modeled from misuse of MW50 though, you have to turn it on only before the engine is below 100% or else you'll fry the engine. And the 109E-Z ( I think ) has boost that can only be turned on above a certain altitude or you'll toast the engine.

Other than that, use the boost or extra cooling as much as you want during combat, I always do and have no trouble doing so. Combat IS an emergency the way I think about it.