PDA

View Full Version : ~Unacceptable v 4.01m patch behavior~

Chuck_Older
06-18-2005, 06:46 AM
I am very disappointed with the behavior of the 4.01m *download* - not the v4.01m patch- I still have not flown v4.01m. I am sure that I will be just fine with the patch, but it is the absolute impossiblity of succesfully downloading the patch that is completely and totally unacceptable.

I have downloaded three times from Ubi.com, and once from Worthplaying, for a total of four times. That's four times on a dialup modem, for a grand total of 31 hours of download time, since Thursday last.

This does not include the 4 hours of defrag time for my HD, or the time I spent otherwise cleaning up my HD to prepare for this monstrous 140+MB file to be downloaded.

Every time, the same result: file corruption errors. I am told to "Please download a fresh copy and try again"

And every time, WinRAR gives me a similar error. For example, each time I download from Ubi, the same message:

"CRC failed in fb_maps10.SFS
unexpected end of archive"

When I downloaded from worthplaying, the files were corrupted, and the message read:

"CRC failed in fb_3do11.SFS

This situation is completely and totally unacceptable. Oleg and others on the 1C:Maddox Games team, you make a superior product. I enjoy your work very much. Right now, it is not possible for me to use the product you make available. The problem is not my PC. The problem is most likely the nature of my internet connection- dailup modem, and packet loss.

The whole world doesn't have high speed internet. It is impossible for me to get it here; I am not allowed to alter the building, which includes a hole for a new cable line.

If it were not for the kindness of the Community here, I could not ever again play your fine simulation. Many members here have offered to provide me with the download in it's uncorrupted form, for which I am grateful. Think about that situation for a moment.

Relying on the kindness of other people to provide me with access to a download that I should already have access to is unacceptable

I am not asking for an apology, and I am not demanding my money back, and I am not saying you are bad people. I am saying that there are supporters of 1C:Maddox Games that are now excluded from getting this update from any source online, and this situation needs to be examined. Right now, I feel like I am excluded from an elite club, and since I don't have membership in that club, I can either join, or find a new pastime.

As a staunch supporter of 1C:Maddox Games and Oleg Maddox, I find this situation to be 100% unacceptable, and I do require an explanation as to why it is possible to make a download available that can only provide corrupted installs of the latest version of the sim.

Downloads should be available in their correct form to all with internet access. This is basic and neccesary.

Thanks for your time,
Chris Blair

Greg_Boyington
06-18-2005, 06:57 AM
Ask a friend with a decent connection to DL it for you and put it on a CD.
What is unacceptable (i use your own words)is people with a slow internet thinking they can DL 140 MB without a resume program.
It's not a question of elite....it's a question of computer knowledge. I had a 56k during a long time, and big files tranfer is always uncertain. Don't blame it on 1C or UBI.
but i'm not a bad guy, here is a very stable link :
for 4.01 merged :
http://france-simulation.com/download.php?op=mydown&did=367

for 4.01 standalone :
http://france-simulation.com/download.php?op=mydown&did=368

And one more thing....do you have the latest version of winrar? Old versions can't open new archives, and show the same error message.
Regards,

AWL_Spinner
06-18-2005, 07:20 AM
On a different tack, the last few patches have been distributed via bittorrent which is highly resumable and makes it a whole lot easier for everyone, most of all modem users; however this does not appear to be the case this time. Which is a shame for folks like the original poster. UBI folks, it'd be good if that was a habit that was returned to in future http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Chuck_Older
06-18-2005, 07:23 AM
Pappy-
I do not need to defend myself to you or anyone else about this. I am disappointed with the service I just received, and it is within my rights to present my concerns rationally, clearly and directly. I have done so. I am not being unreasonable. There is no room for argument. I bid you good day, sir

Chuck_Older
06-18-2005, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by AWL_Spinner:
On a different tack, the last few patches have been distributed via bittorrent which is highly resumable and makes it a whole lot easier for everyone, most of all modem users; however this does not appear to be the case this time. Which is a shame for folks like the original poster. UBI folks, it'd be good if that was a habit that was returned to in future http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

This is my point exactly. It's very much like modem support is not even considered now

SeaFireLIV
06-18-2005, 07:34 AM
Sorry to hear this Chuck Older, at first I thought you were joking, but now I see there`s a real problem. It`s sad when companies just assume everyone`s on broadband and can almost instantly download anything. I still remember the rough days when I was on dialup...

I hope UBI sought this out.

Chuck_Older
06-18-2005, 07:37 AM
I expect it's just an oversight. But I'm trying to make it known to Ubi, 1C and anyone else that there's a problem- might save some headaches http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

BrassEm
06-18-2005, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
I am very disappointed with the behavior of the 4.01m *download* - not the v4.01m patch- I still have not flown v4.01m. I am sure that I will be just fine with the patch, but it is the absolute impossiblity of succesfully downloading the patch that is completely and totally unacceptable.

I have downloaded three times from Ubi.com, and once from Worthplaying, for a total of four times. That's four times on a dialup modem, for a grand total of 31 hours of download time, since Thursday last.

This does not include the 4 hours of defrag time for my HD, or the time I spent otherwise cleaning up my HD to prepare for this monstrous 140+MB file to be downloaded.

Every time, the same result: file corruption errors. I am told to "Please download a fresh copy and try again"

And every time, WinRAR gives me a similar error. For example, each time I download from Ubi, the same message:

When I downloaded from worthplaying, the files were corrupted, and the message read:

This situation is completely and totally unacceptable. Oleg and others on the 1C:Maddox Games team, you make a superior product. I enjoy your work very much. Right now, it is not possible for me to use the product you make available. The problem is not my PC. The problem is most likely the nature of my internet connection- dailup modem, and packet loss.

The whole world doesn't have high speed internet. It is impossible for me to get it here; I am not allowed to alter the building, which includes a hole for a new cable line.

If it were not for the kindness of the Community here, I could not ever again play your fine simulation. Many members here have offered to provide me with the download in it's uncorrupted form, for which I am grateful. Think about that situation for a moment.

Relying on the kindness of other people to provide me with access to a download that I should already have access to is unacceptable

I am not asking for an apology, and I am not demanding my money back, and I am not saying you are bad people. I am saying that there are supporters of 1C:Maddox Games that are now excluded from getting this update from any source online, and this situation needs to be examined. Right now, I feel like I am excluded from an elite club, and since I don't have membership in that club, I can either join, or find a new pastime.

As a staunch supporter of 1C:Maddox Games and Oleg Maddox, I find this situation to be 100% unacceptable, and I do require an explanation as to why it is possible to make a download available that can only provide corrupted installs of the latest version of the sim.

Downloads should be available in their correct form to all with internet access. This is basic and neccesary.

Thanks for your time,
Chris Blair

G'day Chris,

Oh the joys of modem downloads.... believe me I know your frustrations. However what is it you would want UBI to do?

All major software houses are designing games in the gigabytes now so updates and patches aren't gonna be small. The up side is we get very sophisticated games where IL2 is most definitely one of THE benchmark programs. (Many many thanks to Oleg and team.)

I do hope you do get the patch as you know it will be worth it.

Cheers.

Chuck_Older
06-18-2005, 08:22 AM
What would I like Ubi to do?

very simple.

Provide requirements for successful downloads. Requirements for PC specs are listed on the game box; requirements for trouble-free downloads should be mentioned- right now it's assumed to be common knowledge

"This download is provided in a format that some dialup modem users may experience trouble with. Unfortunately we do not support our previous format which was more modem-friendly. We regret any inconvenince this may cause. This patch is provided in a format that is best downloaded by high speed connection to avoid issues with packet loss and possible file corruption"

I should not need to be knowedgeable about every aspect of PCs and interent connectivity to download a file

It seems that it is assumed that I am. I am a mechanic. I can't fix it until it's broken. Now it's broken and I can fix it. before, it seems I was expected to know it would break- but that info was not known to me

LEBillfish
06-18-2005, 08:29 AM
Chuck have you tired DAP "Download Accelerator Plus"?

http://www.speedbit.com/DefaultT.asp

Might help in the interim.

Greg_Boyington
06-18-2005, 08:33 AM
It's evidence that some of you have a very high level of exigence about a free add-on.
Perhaps you forget it's a gift, not a wright.
If i can understand your disappointment, and if it's true that now dial-up modems are forget, i can't understand words like "unacceptable", "i spent time to defrag my HD", etc...
It remembers me people whining about bad FPS on PF....because they use an old 32MB Ge-Force3 Graphic card.
I gave you easy solutions. Try them.

Jaws2002
06-18-2005, 08:43 AM
I know what you feel. At some point in time we all had this problem.
Is there anything like an "Internet Caffe" in your town?
Go there and get it in 5-6 minutes. Burn it on a CD and that's it.

Chuck_Older
06-18-2005, 08:45 AM
Pappy-
ask someone more fluent in English to explain to you what I have posted. Your English is better than my French (J'etudie Francais pour six ans, mais je oublie toute les mots. Je parle Francais une petite peu, mais tres mal), but it is evident to me you are misundertanding my standpoint.

I have exhausted all routes I know of, including what you have suggested concerning WinRAR

You are behaving as if I'm another whining punk@ss kid, and I am not. I have already plainly stated that I do not want my money back, yet you mention that I may forget the add-on is free. I have not, and I addressed that in my first post. I can only assume that you are understanding my explanations and standpoint imperfectly due to a difference in primary language

What this modem download issue currently means to anyone who is experiencing this problem, is "on passe pas"- there is no solution other than other people's kindness. This is not, I think, a path that 1C:Maddox or Ubi actually wants folks to be walking down

Chuck_Older
06-18-2005, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by LEBillfish:

No, I will try it out, Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Liquid-Koshed
06-18-2005, 09:20 AM
Took about 10 minutes with my connection http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Chuck_Older
06-18-2005, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Liquid-Koshed:
Took about 10 minutes with my connection http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

That's really super

psychobabbler
06-18-2005, 09:35 AM
don't rub it in. the guy has been very helpful
around here and he's having a real problem.

AWL_Frog
06-18-2005, 09:36 AM
Chuck_Older, I'm sorry to say this, but if you want to blame UBI for anything, it should be that they are not offering the download diveded into smaller portions.

The file they have on their servers is intact, otherwise everyone else would have the same problem. It does not make any sense to say that there is a specific problem for modem users to download it, it's just that a modem is not very reliable when it comes to transferring large files, and 140 mb is obviously a very large file for a 56k modem.

Btl_Avon
06-18-2005, 09:42 AM
Take up the offer by people who will send u a cd.

Or goto Gamershelll.com for better download connections.

http://www.gamershell.com/download_9626.shtml

Greg_Boyington
06-18-2005, 09:52 AM
lol Chuck...My english is not perfect, but i can understand perfectly your explanations, thanks.
I just think it's not UBI's work to solve all the bad internet connection problems, or to explain the evidence of using a resume software like DAP or Getright to download a 140Mb file with a dial-up.
I hope you'll solve your problem and have fun with the very controversed 4.01. Don't forget to make a backup your IL2 folder before installing, in the case of you dislike the 4.01....because you'll need to DL the 3.04 again? 2 more days with a dial-up....

Chuck_Older
06-18-2005, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Greg_Boyington:
lol Chuck...My english is not perfect, but i can understand perfectly your explanations, thanks.
I just think it's not UBI's work to solve all the bad internet connection problems, or to explain the evidence of using a resume software like DAP or Getright to download a 140Mb file with a dial-up.
I hope you'll solve your problem and have fun with the very controversed 4.01. Don't forget to make a backup your IL2 folder before installing, in the case of you dislike the 4.01....because you'll need to DL the 3.04 again? 2 more days with a dial-up....

I don't want them to solve the internet problems- I just want them to give warning that there could be a problem, and I want to make sure they know there is a problem in the first place

I have all my previous patch download applications in a folder called "Safe FB" that lives on my desktop http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

MaxMhz
Originally posted by LEBillfish:

Could not agree more.

When downloading large files from the web DAP does an excellent job keeping your connection, increasing your download speed - you can even disconnect and resume later. I'd say it's usefull for any connection type too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Chuck_Older
Originally posted by psychobabbler:
don't rub it in. the guy has been very helpful
around here and he's having a real problem.

yes, but I can also be a real jerk http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

BrassEm
06-18-2005, 10:10 AM
What would I like Ubi to do?

very simple.

Provide requirements for successful downloads. Requirements for PC specs are listed on the game box; requirements for trouble-free downloads should be mentioned- right now it's assumed to be common knowledge

"This download is provided in a format that some dialup modem users may experience trouble with. Unfortunately we do not support our previous format which was more modem-friendly. We regret any inconvenince this may cause. This patch is provided in a format that is best downloaded by high speed connection to avoid issues with packet loss and possible file corruption"

I should not need to be knowedgeable about every aspect of PCs and interent connectivity to download a file

It seems that it is assumed that I am. I am a mechanic. I can't fix it until it's broken. Now it's broken and I can fix it. before, it seems I was expected to know it would break- but that info was not known to me

k, you have a difficulty in downloading, how do you know it is the ubi server and not your ISP that is causing the problem? Or your computer setup that is causing the problem?

Many people have downloaded the update and yet you are calling ubi foul with the problems you alone are experiencing? To help you get that download I suggest diagnosing your own system and not blaming ubi. Try the downloaders suggested. If you dont have success then maybe a change in ISP or hardware is required. I can understand your frustration but it is not an UBI fault. I really do hope that this problem can be sorted out!

Cheers.

Bluemax137
06-18-2005, 10:19 AM
I understand your problem Chuck. Many years ago, when I first approached the net, the best avaliable connection was dialup 9.6!!! I must add that actually the biggest downlodable files were around 6/700 k. Said that, actually they were so kind and so smart to split the files in several parts allowing ppl to download each of them in a reasonable time. I'm so lucky to have a 6 mega broadband connection and I just needed few minutes to dload the patch. But not everybody is that lucky. Why didn't they think about to split the patch in 5/6 files? It's nothing of my business but I think that they should care a bit more about "all" theyr customers.

Max

Jetbuff
06-18-2005, 10:28 AM
Chuck... I think you should chuck out your current ISP. There's a very high probability it's a case of lost/corrupt packets. Mind you, you don't need to go high speed, but isome ISP's just do a lousy job of maintaining their network. If that is indeed the case, then you really don't have a beef with Ubi or 1c:Maddox.

I got my download from Ubi, twice. Both times it was uncorrupted. I used FireFox's download manager and have high-speed DSL.

Chuck_Older
06-18-2005, 11:03 AM
(shakes head in disbeleif)

I really think that some folks haven't read half of what I've posted

It's difficult for me to not become angry with some of the responses here

GT182
06-18-2005, 11:10 AM
Chuck, where are you in Canada? I'm on the Canadian border here in NY, near Massena and can send you a cd of 4.01m and 4.01 if you want.

crazyivan1970
06-18-2005, 11:49 AM
Chucky ... boy i`m gonna beat you up. I offered you a disk...but nooo. Look... couple of hundred of thousends people downloaded 401 from UBI, Check6 and 3d gamers. And it seems that you are the only one with download issue... does it hint you to anything at all? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Look, dang it... accept the offer of people to send you a CD and stop making noise http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Because... you either experiancing heavy packets loss... or your ISP might have some kind of built in software on the server that is causing it... or your Winzip/Winrar is corrupted. So, take the offer you stubborn young man.

A.K.Davis
06-18-2005, 11:52 AM
(shakes head in disbeleif)

I really think that some folks haven't read half of what I've posted

It's difficult for me to not become angry with some of the responses here

I've read it all, and still don't see what you are asking for. You say you are disappointed with ubi, but I think you are more disappointed with your modem and ISP situation and venting here.

BTW, one of the flight sim magazines (I believe PC Pilot or Computer Pilot) includes the latest patches for most sims on the magazine's CD. There would be a delay, but a subscription would solve your internet problem.

heywooood
06-18-2005, 11:58 AM
surprising.

Chuck - take the CD that has been offered - dial-up is as old as floppy disk...time marches on.

UBI makes the patch available and that is the end of their obligation, if you can call it that.

Willey
06-18-2005, 01:39 PM
Bump! Had to suck this taffin thin with darn 6KB/s for hours. That ubi server just sucks big time.

WWMaxGunz
06-18-2005, 02:09 PM
Dear old UBI would you please;

In recognition of us dialup users, some who don't get 5k/sec due to old phone lines,

Please-please-please use WinRAR to cut the patches up into segments of no more than 20 MB?

You will save bandwidth by having less people reload from bad files, you have some gain too.

It takes very little time so please do this.

Signed;
A. Paying Customer

DuxCorvan
06-18-2005, 06:10 PM

Grampa, leave that mausoleum now. Stop living in the basement of Ulises S. Grant's tomb, and get a home: if you can't make a hole in your home, then it's not yours. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Meanwhile, follow the general advice, and "carpe diskem"... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Chuck_Older
06-18-2005, 10:10 PM
I have the CD thing taken care of, I beleive. I appreciate your offer, Ivan, but someone who is 45 minutes away in a car is doing this for me. I can't accept everyone's offers, although I do appreicate them

As to this thread-

This is simply very staggering to me

I have quite clearly answered the question of what I am doing in this thread, and what I want.

I answered that question very directly in the 10th post in this thread

I cannot understand what is so hard to understand here.

I want Ubi to know that their method of providing the patch is a problem for some people

I want them to examine the problem, and if needed, provide requirements for a successful download

I want them to consider that not everyone has optimum wquipment for large downloads

I really, really have addressed these issues in this thread

Those who don't see what I am doing...are you sure you're not just so used to threads similar to this one, but which also whine and demand, that you don't recognise it when someone sees trouble and simply wants to get to the bottom of it, and make things easier for all concerned?

This is a quote from a post here in this thread, from me:

"What would I like Ubi to do?

very simple.

It seems that it is assumed that I am. I am a mechanic. I can't fix it until it's broken. Now it's broken and I can fix it. before, it seems I was expected to know it would break- but that info was not known to me"

Really, read the thread. My mind is boggled; it's as if we are not reading the same thread. I have read it three time sjust now to make sure I posted what I remember posting, and that nothing is missing. I feel like I'm in Bizzaro-World now http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif I am reading replies to my posts that assume I'm b!tching and moaning about how badly Ubi and/or 1C do something...and I'm doing nothing of the sort. I'm being told I'm laying blame, when i should look to my PC...it is not my fault that the patch is provided in a way that is different than earlier patches. This method makes issues for some people, and I'm warning Ubi and players about it.

And for that, I'm told I'm doing a lot of things I'm not. I am also getting a lot of repsonses that simply tell me that it's just a necessity that I have better equipment...which is such a foreign way of thinking it's incredible

The internet connection I have is good enough to come here, it's good enough to play this sim online, it's good enough to download skins, download missions, and upload missions and campaigns, and it's good enough to download every previous patch. But it's not good enough to download this one? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Something isn't right about that, and so far, only one or two people here in this thread seem to grasp that

WWMaxGunz
06-18-2005, 10:17 PM
Any problem with what I posted?

Do you know that WinRAR can split and archive into segments and reassemble them?

Quit b!+chin and send UBI an email. Leave out the abrasive no-help and self-problems, you
just might have a chance of getting somewhere. Or, honk them off and you can keep crying.

You'll have someone drive 45 minutes one way by car rather than take one through the post?
That tells lots of the chance of UBI getting a decent email.

Chuck_Older
06-18-2005, 10:22 PM
Holy Jesus why do I even try. Too bad we're not in the same room, eh, Max?

Ivan, do me a favor and delete this whole thing. I don't give a rat @ss about trying to help people here anymore

blue_76
06-19-2005, 01:44 AM
Chuck, I have a dialup modem like u and i used download accelerator. even though i had to stop the download a few times due to loss of connection, i got the file in one piece and it worked just fine. I remember u from the SH3 forum, u are a decent fellow, don't give up.

best wishes.

strewth
06-19-2005, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by Chuck:
yes, but I can also be a real jerk

Yep. Got to agree somewhat. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Isn't it frustrating when some clown won't listen to what you are trying to say? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

I do recall a thread not so long ago Chuckey Baby http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

No hard feelings though mate. I use Download accellerator Plus and it took three days to d/l the 4.01m, but I got it in one piece. I would recommend you try it out. Heaps better all round for d/l'ing. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:

quote:

Go get the latest version of the flight model before you complain about the current flight model. Without v4.0, you're living in the sim's past. Your FM is obsolete, the new one is available for you to experience. In other words: you're panting that something needs to be fixed, when it already has been fixed

He`s right, y`know. This thread is illogical. Not even really worth responding to except to support Chuck_Older`s words.

This thread is not illogical. It was a request to Oleg TO SEE IF THE FINAL OUTPUT COULD HAVE AS REALISTIC TORQUE AS POSSIBLE!

There is nothing illogical about a request. It was simply a query, a question and others responded politely with their opinions. For that I am grateful.

Maybe the wording of the heading could have been better, but I done my best to point out that this not a rightous attack or whine attack. Simply a request.

I happen to love this game as many others do and I certainly appreciate all that Oleg has done for us in the past. I realise, as do some others, that there are limitations on the games engine as well as other technology. Heck, when I am in an AC and it does something weird in the game, I accept that all the AC have some weird little quirks and that the enemy is probably compensating for one of their own. I just personally found that the take offs were very easy compared to what they should be and was hoping for Oleg to ensure that this feature be made as accurate as possible givin the restrictions on the engine. I also know that it impossible to ever get it exact due to limitations and from what I hear it still could do with some refinement.

So, now I have d/l'd 4.00 and installed it. Happy????

My REQUEST still stands. For Oleg to see if they can just keep an eye on this feature and get it as close as possible. I am sure that now I have got 4.00, all you gate keepers might allow me to ask a reasonable question un-hindered.

So do I have permission now???? Please??? So can I please just ask this question now without being judged by those that are obviously no better than myself, because now I have 4.00 just like everyone else????

Once again. Thanks to the polite and helpful feedback from others.

Flakenstien
06-19-2005, 05:17 AM
Chuck i feel your pain!
For those of you stressing that we dial uppers need to use a downloader with resume capibilities you are correct! We do!
Problem is UBI doesnt allow resuming http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif This is where one main problem with UBI lies!!!
My download was 79% complete when for some reason UBI stopped the download, which I figured no big deal until I tried to resume just to be told "this server doesn't allow resuming"!
I should have known better this isnt the first patch that I tried to get from UBI.

Now I know some will say use a different link, blah-blah, but this is a UBI product which I ahould be able to get from UBI, why should I have to use someone elses bandwidth up to patch my UBI product?

There are many other sites that allow use of thier bandwidth to host this file along with others and to know they care more about us than the company that we paid for this product does is uncanny!
And this myth that everyone is on DSL or cable is wrong take a survey and you'll see that dial up is still the majority but we are left out in the back field and many of us have no other options and I'll be ****ed if I will pack up house and move in order to download a patch http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif or should i expect someone to mail me a copy of the patch on CD. Many have offered this service and it is truly kind of them, but really you can't tell me that it isnt UBIs responsibility to provide us access to these "free" files, we paid for it when we bought the software!

Of course I also know most who praise this "free" stuff are also those that didnt buy the software in the first place and are probably using illegal copies but that is a seperate topichttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

And to those of you that have nothing better to offer than your own ignorance, SHUT UP!
He has the right to post his feelings and disgust just like you do your rants and raves about **** even more childish and stupid like "the MGs are porked". Very seldom have i seen anything but helpful advice from this man and when he does have a vaild complaint you flame him like you ***** about when someone flames you, grow the hell up!
These forums contain 5% helpful people (which includes Chuck) and 95% morons which are the rest of you! If you dont belive me read some of your own posts http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

knightflyte
06-19-2005, 09:13 AM
I'm on 56k........ I know lots of people on 56k.
It shouldn't be that software makers make patches and downloads specifically for DSL or cable.
Yes, high speed connections are more prevelant, but not so overwhelming that 56kers should be 'abandoned'.
If I dl a movie I have a choice of bandwidth.
Not so with a patch. (Just an example and I realize movies and patches are like apples and oranges)
I tried it once and the download failed. I used a friend. But it really is something that frustrates when you can't get a complete of uncorrupted file.

WWMaxGunz
06-19-2005, 10:17 PM
This is why I say that;

WinRAR allows large files and archives to be split into smaller pieces, like 10 or 20 MB
if desired.

WinRAR will take the pieces and assemble the full file again.

If UBI would break the patches down that way then there would be no big problem using
dialup. I have a friend with highspeed close by, but otherwise I'd be happier if they did.

Simply, there is a solution so why keep whining on and on?

Yeah Chuck, you want to be in a room with me. Sure.

fordfan25
06-19-2005, 10:25 PM

Thanks for your time,
Chris Blair

i am afr to lazzy to read all that but i think i got the jest of it. try Dloading it from filefrount.

Heliopause
06-20-2005, 03:34 AM
Like a river frustrations can run deep...... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Philipscdrw
06-20-2005, 08:21 AM
*sniff* Farewell broadband. For eight and a half months I have enjoyed your company, but next weekend I must leave forever... For the university will be using my room to house conference guests, and I will be living in a tent at various gliding airfields, and when I return home my PC will not be connected to the internet. And next year, if I can return to university, I will be staying with a family that obtain their internet from AOL, so I will still be without internet connectivity...

What am I doing here? I have an exam in an hour! Quick, to Hyberlobby!

WholeHawg
06-20-2005, 08:51 AM
It maybe a problem with your WinRAR. I had the same thing happen to me and after I unloaded WinRAR all was well again.

antifreeze
06-20-2005, 10:05 AM
> I want Ubi to know that their method of
> providing the patch is a problem for some
> people
> I want them to examine the problem, and if
> needed, provide requirements for a successful
> download

I think they have provided the best download situation possible; I don't see how they could do any more to improve the download. They had good bandwidth on their server and made sure it didn't crash when thousands of people all tried downloading the patch. And of course there were many official and unofficial mirrors too within an hour of the announcement.

The download DOES NOT need to be split into smaller chunks. It is up to you to choose the right software for your connection and the size of the download. Most dedicated download SOFTWARE these days splits the file up automatically and performs checksums on all the parts to make sure you don't miss or corrupt any data. It then rebuilds the large file from the smaller parts.
So just choose the right software and you should be fine with ANY connection speed. The idea that the distributor has to split the file into smaller parts is Neanderthal; downloading technology has long since moved on.

The only other thing UBI could possibly have done was release patches on CDs and make users pay for them to be sent via snail-mail. Which is a fair point. Some software distributors do sometimes provide this type of service, although usually it is only the high-end software that costs hundreds of pounds which allows for the additional costs of this method of distribution. But that has nothing to do with improving the actual download; it just improves the avenues of availability.

And you also seem to want all game distributors to print on every packet that 'future upgrades may require large downloads'? Why not just take it for granted that ALL software you buy may require large downloads for patches and upgrades? Using our common sense might save some ink.

> Problem is UBI doesnt allow resuming This is
> where one main problem with UBI lies!!!
> My download was 79% complete when for some
> reason UBI stopped the download, which I
> figured no big deal until I tried to resume
> just to be told "this server doesn't allow
> resuming"!

What absolute RUBBISH!!! What were you using to download??? Internet Explorer!!?? The UBI server (as does 99.9% of servers these days) DOES support resume. I know, because I used it. That error is simply a SOFTWARE limitation. Again, choose the right download software. For large files I ALWAYS test within the first five minutes that it will resume. My browser gave that error also, so I used my dedicated software instead, and it resumed fine. Not checking resume is just thoughtlessness, and you deserve to have your time wasted. Don't blame UBI for your mistake in software choice and being too thoughtless to check that resume works.

Technology moves on, and there are always going to be 'casualties' when it does. No-one makes websites for 640x480 resolution anymore. Those people either have to cope with what they've got or buy bigger monitors. However, in this instance, UBI has NOT left dial-up users behind. The download is there for you, and on many different mirrors; it is up to you to choose the correct software to obtain it.

However, if you want to bring up the idea of companies issuing major patches on CDs, I would email UBI and ask them about whether they looked at the feasibility of it. You might find that they considered it, but didn't do it for good reasons.

Flakenstien
06-20-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Antifreeze:

> Problem is UBI doesnt allow resuming This is
> where one main problem with UBI lies!!!
> My download was 79% complete when for some
> reason UBI stopped the download, which I
> figured no big deal until I tried to resume
> just to be told "this server doesn't allow
> resuming"!

What absolute RUBBISH!!! What were you using to download??? Internet Explorer!!?? The UBI server (as does 99.9% of servers these days) DOES support resume.

Actually no I never use IE. Or any browser downloader for that matter.
I used Getright and have never had any trouble with downloading large files on dial up except for UBI. Same thing happened with 3.04 and all previous patches, the reason I started downloading from here is because I assumed I would get a file that was official instead of trusting another site.
So if Getright isnt proper software for the job maybe instead of being a *** you could offer some suggegestions.
And if 99.9% of servers support resuming than UBI is the .1% that doesn't, I just went to try Getright again to see if it did and maybe I was mistaken and as soon as the download starts I get a immediate "This server does not support resuming". So who is speaking rubbish mate?

So many know-it-alls here but yet so few post anything of value.

WWMaxGunz
06-20-2005, 11:13 AM
Antifreeze! Please, sorry if you named it before but what dedicated download SW did you use?

I took GetRight off my system long ago over having to turn it off.
As now I have Mozilla with resume capability but not always good, your post is good news.

han freak solo
06-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Without reading every little detail in every post....

I had the same exact problem as Chuck. But mine was with the 4.01 patch downloaded from UBI with a T1 broadband connection at work. Using Mozilla not IE. I had a successful patch of 4.0 using the Check Six site, though.

Since I was at home with the 4.01 patch with dial-up, I opened the 4.01 patch and copied everything that was changed from 4.0. I put those files into a copy of 4.0. Luckily, it made my new 4.0/4.01 patch work.

antifreeze
06-20-2005, 11:25 AM
> So if Getright isnt proper software for the
> job maybe instead of being a *** you could
> offer some suggestions.

OK, here: http://www.freshdevices.com/
Use that instead, and come back to tell us again that the UBI server
(at http://patches.ubi.com/pacific_fighters/) does not support 'resume'.
[note: you are solely responsible for any software installed and run on your computer].

I didn't mean to be a hard ***, but it is ridiculous to blame UBI or any other distributor for your poor choice of download manager or download technique. And personally I think it is unreasonable to expect UBI to hand out CDs to anyone who claims their speed is too slow or costly, but you'd need to ask them about the logistics of doing that.

MR.Reah
06-21-2005, 02:17 PM
Same experiance here with the UBI site- Used a d/l manager called 'Leechget'-
First attempt file was complete at 119mb and announced 'Error- 3D0**** corrupt or missing'
Second attempt it showed as complete at 98mb and again 3D0**** corrupt or missing.
Point of this reply? Just so you know you arent the only one that encountered this 'difficulty'
Didnt try the DAP program- went to a friend and asked her to put it on a disc for me- all is well now-

JamesBlonde888
06-21-2005, 09:35 PM
Glad to see you got your patch mate!

As another 56k victim I would like to recap on some very valid points in this thread.

We do not all have high speed connexions available to us for the asking.

An incremental download utility would be VERY helpful.

Nobody is pointing the finger at 1C or Ubi. These issues need to be raised for their consideration since a large volume of their clientele is missing out. I am quite sure that they are greaful for our patronage of their fine product and will take these matters under serious consideration.

wayno7777
06-21-2005, 09:52 PM
Hi Chuck_Older, I see you have the CD. What I use is MetaProducts Download Express. It's also free. I had the 4.0 from CheckSix (took two and half days on and off) and had started to d/l 4.01 when I saw that they posted an 18Mb d/l to update 4.0 to 4.01.
Here's a link:
http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/mpProducts_Detail.asp?id=18
I've used the other dl manager mentioned, but for me this seems to be faster and easier to use. GL Chris.

WTE_Ibis
06-22-2005, 01:52 AM
Jeezus,you must be loved by all Chuck,3 pages of people trying to help you.

EURO_Snoopy
06-22-2005, 03:19 AM
For downloads I and many other long term Sturmovikers around here have recommended 3dGamers. It is used throughout the patching and installation guide and constantly recommended in tech forums. (Sometimes think I'm wasting my time)

But I think there is a need for the downloads to be available in bite sized chunks, so, if it will help, I can put up a download for dialup users.

The patches will be available in 10MB chunks.

I will let you all know when page is ready

NAFP_supah
06-22-2005, 03:36 AM
To be very honest, I know it sucks for you that you can't get the patch but what would you have 1c do about it? Limit themselves to 1 mb patches to please a minority that are stuck behind the technology curve because of geographical issues? This indeed a problem with your internet speed and packet loss as people with broadband who downloaded the file in one go dont have the problem. You have three options here really:

1. Move to another place for broadband (I declined to buy a house once because it was in a non broadband area)

2. Accept that certain things on the internet aren't "meant" for people with dial up, you dont try to download movies either or do you?

3. Go back in time and join General Lud in his fight against technology.

I think its very cool of people wanting to help you out by snail mailing you the patch but this is not something 1c can or should fix. You are stuck behind the technology curve, that is your problem not theirs.

Chuck_Older
06-22-2005, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by NAFP_supah:
To be very honest, I know it sucks for you that you can't get the patch but what would you have 1c do about it? Limit themselves to 1 mb patches to please a minority that are stuck behind the technology curve because of geographical issues? This indeed a problem with your internet speed and packet loss as people with broadband who downloaded the file in one go dont have the problem. You have three options here really:

1. Move to another place for broadband (I declined to buy a house once because it was in a non broadband area)

2. Accept that certain things on the internet aren't "meant" for people with dial up, you dont try to download movies either or do you?

3. Go back in time and join General Lud in his fight against technology.

I think its very cool of people wanting to help you out by snail mailing you the patch but this is not something 1c can or should fix. You are stuck behind the technology curve, that is your problem not theirs.

Since this is the opinion of most folks, I'll reply to you

1)Lend me some money and I'll move. Do you realise how ridiculous it is for you to suggest I move for a PC game?

2)No, no I won't. If the patch is not "intended" for me, then I am excluded, and that is patently wrong

3)Although your esoteric reference to the Luddites is fascinating, my complaint is not against machines, it is against the nature of the availabilty of the patch

What a lot of folks is missing here is that Ubi changed the format of their downloads. I've repeated myself several times now in this thread, and I guess I've deluded myself into thinking people will read it, but I've plainly stated that what I'm looking for is a warning about this from Ubi, as well as alereting as many folks as I can to the issue- which is NOT restricted to dialup users. I mean, read what I posted

Since folks who "know" more than me have all the answers PLUS assume I never tried to resolve this issue in any way, those facts will be ignored

ECV56_Pato1
06-22-2005, 06:10 AM
Chuck is your PC overclocked? I stopped OC'ing my PC cos I was getting tons of CRC errors, I mean, everything seemed to be working right but somehow downloaded compressed files got corrupted.
And you're right in yor complaint, large files must be Available in smaller chunks for dial up users.
S!
Pato

EURO_Snoopy
06-22-2005, 06:35 AM
Links to patches are available in the patching guide. PF broken into 10 files, FB+PF mergred broken in 15 files.

Chuck_Older
06-22-2005, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by EURO_Snoopy:
Links to patches are available in the patching guide. PF broken into 10 files, FB+PF mergred broken in 15 files.

Now this, I didn't know. This is stuff that would have probably solved the problem http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Chuck_Older
06-22-2005, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by ECV56_Pato1:
Chuck is your PC overclocked? I stopped OC'ing my PC cos I was getting tons of CRC errors, I mean, everything seemed to be working right but somehow downloaded compressed files got corrupted.
And you're right in yor complaint, large files must be Available in smaller chunks for dial up users.
S!
Pato

No, no overclocking. I've been tempted, but more powerful CPUs are too cheap for me to justify it. I'm going to get a 3 Ghz or so to replace my 2.08, and the money is so stupid cheap I'll be able to pay for it out of my spare change jar

TgD Thunderbolt56
06-22-2005, 08:35 AM
LOL...what an awesome thread. I could easily visualize Chuck pulling his hair out and it was like there were multiple languages being spoken but few were listening.

Looks like Snoop may have solved much of the problem AND Chuck should now have the patch.

The sun continues to shine, the birds are singing and all is right in the world...again

S!