PDA

View Full Version : I heard this mustang is for sale

johann63
12-22-2005, 10:21 PM
Just slightly modified and oh-so-puuurrdy

Souds like a good package deal, not sure of the price. Well I did get a christmas bonus, hmmm....

http://aafo.com/racing/2005/Dago_Red_4_Sale/images/01.jpg

slo123
12-22-2005, 11:55 PM
slightly modified?

Tully__
12-23-2005, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by slo123:
slightly modified? Yeah, like a Nascar race vehicle is a "slightly modified" street car. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

slo123
12-23-2005, 12:02 AM
yea just a little higher octane gas

stansdds
12-23-2005, 04:19 AM
The Bearcat in the trailing position is just "slightly" modified too. I remember reading Air Classics magazine back in the late 1970's and very early 80's when these aircraft were being modified for racing. At the time I thought it was a waste of rare, valuable, and historically significant aircraft. I still feel the same, but if you have gobs and gobs of money and it's your aircraft, I guess it's also your right to do whatever you want with it.

Just like the "Super Corsair" built up by Steve Hinton and Jim Maloney (Planes of Fame, Chino, CA). They started with a spare airframe that was actually an early F4U-1, not a -1A or -1D, a -1. Would it have been better to have restored this aircraft, given the rarity of surviving -1's, rather than turning it into a smoking hole in the ground?

WOLFMondo
12-23-2005, 05:28 AM
Agreed there. Really don't like to see those planes modified and eventually crashed for the sake of air racing.

Airmail109
12-23-2005, 09:55 AM
I do....restorations practically arnt the original warbird anyway, those air racers like 99 percent of the warbirds you will see at airshows have very little orginal parts.....I think its a great way to keep the some of the spirit of aviation going.

jarink
12-23-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Aimail101:
I do....restorations practically arnt the original warbird anyway, those air racers like 99 percent of the warbirds you will see at airshows have very little orginal parts.....I think its a great way to keep the some of the spirit of aviation going.

I agree. I think the HMS Victory should be "tuned" so it can compete in the America's Cup, as well!

[/Sarcasm]

Actually, I think, especially in the case of rare warbirds (the F4U-1 mentioned above and others like any "only surviving" planes) should be resotred to as near original condition because of their historical value. Static museum displays have their place, but nothing stimulates the imiginations of young people like seeing and hearing a real warbird in the air. It inspires many of the younger generations to learn more about an important period of modern history, plus perhaps about relatives that served in those same birds.

TheGozr
12-23-2005, 10:42 AM
Agreed many are replicas and at the races rare are the real ones, luckly those replicas are flying . And i hope they will fly more but it's going down now.

Flakwalker
12-23-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by johann63:

Souds like a good package deal, not sure of the price. Well I did get a christmas bonus, hmmm....

They are full scale ones or RC?

VW-IceFire
12-23-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Flakwalker:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johann63:

They are full scale ones or RC? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Those two are fairly famous racer aircraft of the 1950's and later. One is obviously a Mustang and the other is a F8F Bearcat. Of course, heavily heavily modified for all speed.

Treetop64
12-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Anyone notice the angle of incidence of the propellers on the two planes? They are really taking big slices of air as they spin!

Those guys must really be movin'...

stansdds
12-23-2005, 03:47 PM
You kind of need to take a big slice of air when clipping along at 500+ MPH. Yeah, Dago Red and Rare Bear can exceed 500 MPH at 5000 feet altitude.

actionhank1786
12-23-2005, 05:10 PM
Well even if kept stock, and restored to flying condition, the thought comes to mind that do you really want a rare bird up in the air?
It's so nice to see them fly (Nothing can make a plane fan smile like seeing a P-38 come low over a run way and bank into the sky) but then there's the fact that accident rates can be pretty steep.
I think it wasn't long ago that we lost our last flyable He-111 to a crash.
On that note, i was in Fond du Lac wisconsins (about 30 minutes away from Oshkosh, home of the EAA airventure) and i was in a local firehouse. They had pictures all over the walls of various rescues they'd been to. The most amazing one i saw was a Yak-3 that had ditched in a field.
It's prop had been ripped off, and the left wing looked like Godzilla had pulled it up, but it was still in pretty good condition.
One of the most amazing photos i've seen.

johann63
12-23-2005, 11:02 PM
Just like the "Super Corsair" built up by Steve Hinton and Jim Maloney (Planes of Fame, Chino, CA). They started with a spare airframe that was actually an early F4U-1, not a -1A or -1D, a -1. Would it have been better to have restored this aircraft, given the rarity of surviving -1's, rather than turning it into a smoking hole in the ground?

So true stansdds, it was a sad thing to lose all of those corsairs to racing.

And of couse I was joking with "slightly" modified. That thing is devilish now.

VW-IceFire
12-23-2005, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by actionhank1786:
Well even if kept stock, and restored to flying condition, the thought comes to mind that do you really want a rare bird up in the air?
It's so nice to see them fly (Nothing can make a plane fan smile like seeing a P-38 come low over a run way and bank into the sky) but then there's the fact that accident rates can be pretty steep.
On that note, i was in Fond du Lac wisconsins (about 30 minutes away from Oshkosh, home of the EAA airventure) and i was in a local firehouse. They had pictures all over the walls of various rescues they'd been to. The most amazing one i saw was a Yak-3 that had ditched in a field.
It's prop had been ripped off, and the left wing looked like Godzilla had pulled it up, but it was still in pretty good condition.
Its a fair point...but these really aren't even warbirds anymore. Actually from what I understand, there are very few warbirds that are actually warbirds...most are totally rebuilt anyways. You CAN build another...its an incredible loss if one is damaged or destroyed and its even more tragic if a life is lost...but I'm very much in favour of keeping these things flying whenever feasible and possible.

I'm in my early 20's...I never got a chance to see these in their heyday. But at least I can see them in their lovingly restored, rebuilt, recreated, beauty.

raisen
12-24-2005, 07:31 AM
Running rare birds ? Would you run an old race car on a track ?

Yes on both counts. Nothing sadder than a race car in a museum. If they aren't used then it's almost as if they die. Just keep it sensible.... I wouldn't recommend recommisioning the first Wright flyer, but if a fifty year old plane or race car can be kept servicable, then so much the better.

Some of the cars I've seen in the last year or two have been raced more this last couple of years, than ever they did when they were new. Pictures at Andys Historics (http://andyshistorics.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/)

Raisen

actionhank1786
12-24-2005, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by actionhank1786:
Its a fair point...but these really aren't even warbirds anymore. Actually from what I understand, there are very few warbirds that are actually warbirds...most are totally rebuilt anyways. You CAN build another...its an incredible loss if one is damaged or destroyed and its even more tragic if a life is lost...but I'm very much in favour of keeping these things flying whenever feasible and possible.

I'm in my early 20's...I never got a chance to see these in their heyday. But at least I can see them in their lovingly restored, rebuilt, recreated, beauty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah i'm just about to hit 20, so i know what it's like to not get to see them when there were thousands