PDA

View Full Version : Lost my start task bar

blackpulpit1970
08-11-2005, 08:50 AM
I lost my start task bar all together, i tried clicking mouse on corners and dragging but to no avail, i didnt hide it on purpose so i dont no what happened, is there any way of pulling the task menu up to see if its in hide mode or any suggestions to get it back, i rebooted and still nothing, i have my desktop buttons(games,internet,etc,etc) but no styart bar on bottom of my moniter, any help greatly appreciated.

Atomic_Marten
08-11-2005, 08:57 AM
Weird. You should be able to pull the taskbar up again. Most likely you have "push" it outside the screen, so all you have to do is move cursor to the bottom edge of the screen; it should turn into black double arrow, then left click and drag up.

blackpulpit1970
08-11-2005, 09:15 AM
Tried doesnt work, dont no what the problem is.

SeaNorris
08-11-2005, 09:18 AM
You tried pressing the Windows button on your keybord?

blackpulpit1970
08-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Yes even that did not work for me, its like i lost it all together, all i did was change resolutions around. I also changed my driver the other day, i did it correctly and it worked fine and had my task bar no problem but now nothing.

Hoarmurath
08-11-2005, 09:31 AM
Have you tried changing your desktop resolution again? It usually reset the position of task bar and icons.

Daiichidoku
08-11-2005, 09:43 AM
the answer to ANY computer problems is solved two different ways, thusly;

reformat

OR

10-pound sledgehammer (note that this can be subsituted with a big rock, blowtorch, hand grenade, fall from 100ft+, or my favorite, a wood chipper

blackpulpit1970
08-11-2005, 10:17 AM
What do you mean by reformating, im computer illiteret.

Atomic_Marten
08-11-2005, 10:32 AM
Reformat=delete old windows and install fresh windows on that partition. That is not hard thing to do but you have to posses some basic knowledge. If someone hasn't show that to you, I would not reccomend it.

Be sure to change your desktop resolution, sometimes it can solve many problems like Hoarmurath suggested.
We can only guess your problem. It is a good thing if your problem is not related to virus/spyware/malicious prog thing. If you have somehow 'disabled' it, it should be reversable i.e. you should be able to bring it back again.

AFAIK taskbar cannot be deleted.

Can you post a screenshot of your desktop? Maybe we can help you better that way...

blackpulpit1970
08-11-2005, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the advice, im at work and will post it later tonight, i was thinking about re-installing window xp, if i cant get it to work, well see, thanks guys.

SithSpeeder
08-11-2005, 11:17 AM
Sometimes on resolution and/or driver changes, the centering of the beam can be affected. Have you tried the manual monitor controls to see if it is simply broadcasting the beam too low, giving the effect of clipping the bottom of your screen off? Usually, this is like a "vertical position" button on the monitor itself.

Also, you can launch windows explorer, right?

* _54th_Speeder *

Taylortony
08-11-2005, 11:34 AM
You seriously dont want to prat around reinstalling windows, trust me. click at the bottom of the screen window then click properties and see if it is on auto hide, if not that try rescaling the pc window on your monitor, it might be out of sight or ask in the community help, please disregard all this reinstall windows rubbish etc, it will be something simple..

blackpulpit1970
08-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Sith i did re-install a new driver before all this happened and i think the problem does lie there somewere, what do you mean by manual moniter controls, the buttons on my monitor for scaling etc, if so then no i havent but will try when i get home, also will try the resizing of my monitor also. I cant launch windows explorer only internet explore?? any ideas why

NonWonderDog
08-11-2005, 11:57 AM
You can always try a Ctrl-Shift-Esc --> File --> New Task (Run...) --> type "explorer.exe"

I believe that that's the "official" way to restart windows explorer when it crashes.

The "official" way to shutdown explorer when it hangs is real useful to know, too. You have to go to Start --> Shut Down, hold down Ctrl-Shift-Alt, and press cancel. It's really stupid, but it does actually work! That won't help here, though, unless someone knows a shortcut key to bring up the shutdown menu. Interestingly, though, this is the *only* way to get rid of the menu bar normally.

If restarting the computer doesn't fix it, though, and the menu bar isn't hidden by a poorly adjusted monitor, I really don't know what to tell you. It might actually be some kind of virus, but that's probably the least likely culprit.

Taylortony
08-11-2005, 02:32 PM
yes i mean rescale the size of the screen incase it has pushed it out of view? are you on xp? you can roll it back to prior to installing the new driver, is it an nvidia one? that has some features that may have turned it off, check read me files on their site

Atomic_Marten
08-11-2005, 02:51 PM
If the START button is pressed (windows key) it must be viewed on screen, unless we have manually "trimmed" more than half of the screen on monitor controls (START menu reaches normally almost half of the screen).

Tully__
08-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Before you do anything else, try restoring the original resolution or using your monitor front panel controls to resize the screen. It sounds very much like your monitor is simply displaying the desktop too low or too large.

GreyBeast
08-11-2005, 04:52 PM
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIT!!!!!

Don't reformat and reinstall!!!!!!!!

I have a fix! I downloaded it somewhere on the internet, on a site made for tweaking Windows and "repairing" stuff that "breaks" mysteriously. This specific little utility makes the task-bar reappear and fixes desktop icons not staying where they should as well as quick-launch icons moving all over the place because the taskbar won't stay the size you gave it.

PM me and I'll send you the file.

SithSpeeder
08-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Alright! It sounds like GreyBeast may have the answer. What's it called? Post the name (or link to the site) so that we can all see/learn about it.

BlackP--Aaaaah. See, the reason I asked about Windows Explorer was that if you couldn't launch it, then you do have a Windows problem (not just a screen size problem).

Can you launch in safemode? Usually, the option presents itself when booting up with XP (I forgot the specifics--do a google search).

Also, googling, I found this:
Have you ever lost your taskbar while fiddling with Windows XP? David Dorn has the answer

Windows XP is, without doubt, a delightful operating system €" it€s very easy to customise, which, for many, is its downfall.

For instance, it€s very easy to lose the taskbar (the bit with all the buttons on, usually found at the bottom of your desktop). Want to know how to get it back, so you can put it somewhere a little more sensible?

Easy €" just hold down the <CTRL> key and tap <ESC>. It doesn€t matter where you€ve put it, or where you€ve lost it, <CTRL><ESC> always brings it up.
^top

David Dorn

Oh, and DUH (on me, that is)...SYSTEM RESTORE! Unless you totally disabled it, you can go back to a previous restore point. Hopefully, one happened kinda recently. XP roxxers for this little feature.

* _54th_Speeder *

GreyBeast
08-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Well, the problem is I downloaded it a while ago, and I don't remember the name of the site. AND, I might have changed the name of the file...

If I recall correctly, the name of the site was ww.TweakXP.com, but you'll have a tough time finding the site, let alone the fix.

But, I insist, it's only 2k, so anyone interested, just PM me and I'll be more than happy to send it directly via e-Mail.

Better still, tell me where to host the file on the internet and I'll put it up and post a link to it...

If you want to GOOGLE it up:

The authors are called Kelly Theriot and Doug Knox and the file itself MAY be called: XP Taskbar Desktop FIX ALL.vbs