PDA

View Full Version : Questions

Deathsai
05-19-2005, 07:57 PM
Well, I got my DVD Drive, and I'm loving this game. The transition from SHII to SHIII was a little hard, but I think I'm used to it now (Except for rigging for silent running when I mean to zoom in).

Having some problems, though. In my campaign, it's April 1940. I'm averaging 1 mission a month. Should the war be going by this fast? I've only had around 8 patrols since the war started. Does it slow down later on?

Secondly, I've yet to actually find a convoy. I only ever find single ships. I've only fought more than one ship twice. Once, I decided to see what was in Scapa Flow. I surfaced the sub and sailed in. Visbility was terrible, there was a bad storm that day. I look around for a few minutes, and conclude that Scapa Flow is empty. As I sigh, my wish is granted: two cruisers and three destroyers all emerge from the rain, and my sub is almost destroyed in the first volley of fire. I loaded up an old save after a poor attempt at escape, and just sailed back to Wilhelmshaven.

The other time was in the channel, at Pas De Calais. I was fighting 2 armed trawlers and 2 Esco boats. I sank one and was working on the other when I finnally noticed the 3 destroyers on the horizon. After a duel where I did nothing but lose my conning tower, deck gun, and AA gun to enemy fire, and having spent almost all my torpedoes (I only had one up front and one in the aft) I just sat at the bottom of the channel, waiting for the destroyers to stop dropping depth charges. I finally got bored after about 15 minutes, rigged for silent running, and started to slowly move off. The destroyers instantly picked me up, and by the 2nd run my sub was filled with water.

So, when should I expect more targets?

And, lastly, what should I do if I end up in a bad situation, like the above in my bad duel with the 3 destroyers in the English Channel? Is there any way to escape?

Also, what is your strategy for sinking ships? I lock on to the ship, open the tube, set the speed to fast, medium, or slow (depending on how far the ship is away, with T-I torpedoes I set it to fast for 1,000 meters, medium for 500-750, and slow for anything under that.) get a solution, and let her rip. Should I be doing something else? I always try to get my sub pointing towards the enemy.

And where are screenshots saved?

BTW, hello to Avon if she reads this! I guess she doesn't do much Operation Flashpoint anymore.

gabriel_cd
05-19-2005, 08:33 PM
The game is in real time, so it depends entirely on you how long a patrol takes. Some are complaining that refitting between patrols takes too long.

Look for convoys in the convoy lanes marked on the game map. You may need to wait a few days in those areas before you get a convoy report.

If you are in shallow water, with three or four ships hunting you, the best tactic is to pray. Alternately some very deft maneuvering at periscope depth and an incredible amount of luck might see you sink the destroyers and get away. This has become quite hard since 1.3.

Twelvefield
05-19-2005, 08:53 PM
*** GAME SPOILER***

If you want to find convoys, there's a guaranteed work-around that takes advantage of the game:

1) This works best if your patrol zone is rather far from your home base, so results may vary.

2) Go to your patrol zone. Shoot at as much shipping as you can. After your 24 hours in the patrol zone are up (whether or not you sink anything), plot a long, indirect course back to your base. Use your navigator to help you make sure you will not run out of fuel.

3) Engage shipping as you return to base. It seems to work best if you don't save your torpedoes for that cruise liner you're not going to find, anyway. Plink away at the coastal and small transports, one torpedo at a time. Make sure you use your aft torpedos when you feel you can. Be aggressive!

4) The moment you completely run out of torpedoes (and hopefully expended some deck gun ammo, although my method works better if it is stormy all the time), start to head more directly for home base.

Guaranteed, no matter which direction you go in, the moment the AI realizes you are out of torpedoes, BdU will start sending you convoy contact messages, and/or, you will stumble onto convoys on your own. Veritable swarms of convoys, really.

Works every time! Winking smiley face.

Deathsai
05-19-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by gabriel_cd:
The game is in real time, so it depends entirely on you how long a patrol takes. Some are complaining that refitting between patrols takes too long.

Look for convoys in the convoy lanes marked on the game map. You may need to wait a few days in those areas before you get a convoy report.

If you are in shallow water, with three or four ships hunting you, the best tactic is to pray. Alternately some very deft maneuvering at periscope depth and an incredible amount of luck might see you sink the destroyers and get away. This has become quite hard since 1.3.

I'm inclined to agree that refitting takes too long.

I don't see any convoy lanes marked on my map...

What if I'm not in shallow water? Just sit my U-Boat on the bottom and hope for the best?

gabriel_cd
05-19-2005, 09:59 PM
The printed map that came with the game. If you downloaded the game there is a folder that has PDF copies.

Just wait in the general area, either patrol at low speed or just wait on the surface.

CannonFodda_99
05-19-2005, 10:26 PM
I too would like to know where the screeshots are saved
Can take some pretty good pics especially with the smoke mod
Thanks in advance
Cannon

alanschu
05-19-2005, 10:27 PM
If you're not in shallow water, try to dive deep while ahead slow and silent running. If you get pinged really fast and it stops, crank to ahead flank but keep diving....in fact, who cares about noise at this point, because the DD is likely going 30+ knots and isn't going to hear you. Check the depth to make sure it's safe (I try to always patrol off the continental shelf, so my depth is always >1000 metres), and make a 90 degree turn port or starboard.

At deep depths (I usually go between 100-150 m, but usually that's overkill), you have plenty of time to react to depth charges. After you've moved a bit at flank speed, go back to ahead slow. Often they'll have a hard time picking you back up again because you're so deep.

Deathsai
05-19-2005, 10:37 PM
Still, nobody has told us where screenshots are saved. I couldn't find them in my SHIII folder.

I'm usually patrolling in the Irish sea, now that my base has moved to Brest. Occasionally, there will be a large convoy, but I usually just spend all my torpedoes sinking a bunch of lone ships. There never seem to be that many large convoys, I've only ever seen 2.

Also, are planes terrible at bombing or what? I usually don't even dive anymore, even if I'm on rough seas and can't man the AA gun. I've had 4 fighter-bombers dive at once on my U-Boat, and they came closer to hitting the merchant boat I was passing than they did me.

Hell, on the air time I was attacked from the air, the plane crashed into the water next to my U-Boat! It started sinking on an angle, and actually came close to hitting the belly of my submerged U-Boat! I have screenshots, but I don't know how to access them.

Ah, well, I suppose the screenshots aren't put into your SHIII folder until you exit the game or something. Here's some proof of the RAF's terrible piloting skills:

http://img274.echo.cx/img274/9666/sh3img19520052124582817zr.jpg

http://img274.echo.cx/img274/1074/sh3img1952005212511259jm.jpg

http://img274.echo.cx/img274/6526/sh3img1952005212511257qi.jpg

alanschu
05-19-2005, 10:46 PM
I'm pretty sure they are in your SH3 directory. I think they are .bmp files.

As for planes...wait until 1943! When you realize that there's 12 B-24s carpet bombing you with like 8 depth charges each, you'll soon learn the meaning of pain and sufferring.

My first "real" encounter with them was in the middle of 1943. Two Sunderlands (I think) found me on radar (oh yeah...you're gonna love storms once Radar is an issue), and got one lucky shot that destroyed both of my diesel engines (ack!). After they left I needed to surface as I had heavy flooding. While doing those repairs, my watch officer commented about aircraft being spotted....I went to the bridge to see what was coming, and I literally didn't have the time to count how many there were since they filled my screen and bombed me into oblivion. It was the end of my first career.

Radar sucks. Vetern Pilots with extended range after 1943....suck much much more

Deathsai
05-20-2005, 11:43 AM
Well, I think I'll take the planes more seriously when they make me dive instead of laugh.

tinneri
05-20-2005, 11:55 AM
DEATHSAI !

Very nice screenshot !! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif