PDA

View Full Version : Army Group North Campaign

BWaltteri
06-10-2008, 02:22 AM
Let me tell you... This campaign is hard!

Or challenging if you want to call it such.

In the early part...

Ground attack missions at airfields with 109F's, and nobody in the squadron, except me, even tries to knock out the AA first.

In 1943...

You start at a Finnish airbase and several of your first missions are ships near Lavansaari. But it's winter and once you manage to sink the frozen ship your squadron will be flying the same mission for several rounds finding nobody. It's not nice to see a squadron returning the base with all their bombs unused.

And in 1945...

You have to fly the 262 at Berlin. I've not yet reached that but I already fear the worst.

BWaltteri
06-10-2008, 02:22 AM
Let me tell you... This campaign is hard!

Or challenging if you want to call it such.

In the early part...

Ground attack missions at airfields with 109F's, and nobody in the squadron, except me, even tries to knock out the AA first.

In 1943...

You start at a Finnish airbase and several of your first missions are ships near Lavansaari. But it's winter and once you manage to sink the frozen ship your squadron will be flying the same mission for several rounds finding nobody. It's not nice to see a squadron returning the base with all their bombs unused.

And in 1945...

You have to fly the 262 at Berlin. I've not yet reached that but I already fear the worst.

DKoor
06-10-2008, 07:36 AM
For some reason German campaigns were always much easier for me than VVS ones.
For the most part you have better aircraft in one way or the other... at least I feel they are better, I'm able to exploit them much better than VVS types. That is practically true for every type except Yak-9U which is state of the art plane.

Unfortunately... as you already mentioned, by that time you get to fly Me-262, and that plane obsoletes every other regular type in IL2 WW2.

Try the TA-152 (H) campaign... it's a sweet 30 mission campaign, and TA-152 AI roxors! I lost only two AI pilots during the whole campaign. Unbelievable, really.

BWaltteri
06-11-2008, 03:42 AM
The Russian campaigns in my opinion change from very easy to almost impossible. It is nice to try to keep the TB-3 airborne.

But in that German campaign around Leningrad some take-offs were too risky because the enemy constantly bombed the airfield. I had to find out that gun after every second mission and destroy it if I wanted to continue the operations safely.

DKoor
06-11-2008, 05:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BWaltteri:
The Russian campaigns in my opinion change from very easy to almost impossible. It is nice to try to keep the TB-3 airborne.

But in that German campaign around Leningrad some take-offs were too risky because the enemy constantly bombed the airfield. I had to find out that gun after every second mission and destroy it if I wanted to continue the operations safely. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm glad that I'm not the only one noticing this... I mean with this runway shelling thing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif .

I got my wing clean blown off on Prokhorovka front by a (tank?) shell, once I was landing on runway... I flew a Hungarian Bf-109F.

BWaltteri
06-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Prokhorovka is one of the best campaigns. I flew it as Hungarian in FB.

And yes, the land forces may hit the planes on the field.

But back to Leningrad, I was wondering what happens in the SW corner of the city, there seems to be a huge battle always going on. It is the Russian navy that shells the German convoy nearby, but sometimes the Russian gunboats suffer casualties too. Apparently it is the destroyer that hits the gunboats as well as it pounds the convoys.