PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with the il2 trees?

JOHNRAMBO84
01-24-2007, 09:59 AM
Im sure you guys seen them at eye level their invisible! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif and flying above them at 500 mph at 20 ft you dont know if your going to hit them or not!they really freak me out,so my questions is this, is there any way i can take them out of the game like in the conf folder or something http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2007, 10:01 AM
it's how you've chosen to render them in the config file if I recall

PF_Coastie
01-24-2007, 10:06 AM
It is a very ingeneous way these tress were created. They are actually several layers of very thin textures rather that solid objects. It reduces the amount of ram you need to load the textures.

There is NO way to get rid of these forests. Remember, this is a flight sim, not a ground sim. They are best viewed from above....which you should be.

Skycat_2
01-24-2007, 10:08 AM
You mean the forests.

It's true that you can't see the forest for the trees (or something like that) when you're at ground level. Through the years there have been numerous requests to have a wall object that looks like trees included in the library so that mission builders can make the side of forest visible near airfields. Some authors simply plant individual trees along the flightline. But the short answer is that the forests have always been invisible when viewed horizontally.

You can't remove the forests with a conf.ini line either, sorry. They're permanent fixtures of the maps.

Rattler68
01-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Short answer is no. Pay attention to your map if you're screaming off the airfield in any old direction (which is how many pilots crash), or use the runway. At ground level, get used to seeing the thin layers of forest at ground level: you can see them.

Hanglands
01-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Not only are the forests invisible, they are also invincible.

A pretty lethal combination.

Choctaw111
01-24-2007, 11:33 AM
Ah yes, the infamous "invisible trees". As someone pointed out earlier in this thread they should be view from above and I tend to disagree. This sim was developed originally as a ground attack sim for the IL2. Back then these invisible forests were the best way to render them. Placing individual trees was too demanding on systems at that time. I say this once again, "Wait for BoB".

flox
01-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Those are the super secret "stealth trees" developed by top German engineers to dispense with low-flying enemy aircraft.

No but seriously, the "killer trees" are kind of annoying sometimes but alas, there is no getting rid of them.

Lucius_Esox
01-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Such a long time since I played the original IL2,,, were the forests the same then?? Sort of remember them coming when we got the Gulf of Finland map??

Dunno??

Rjel
01-24-2007, 06:35 PM
I think the forest effects are pretty effective. The one thing that's been suggested several times to make them visible down low is a seperate style of trees or an edge so to speak. From above I think they look excellent and if it lowers CPU usage then use them. This sim needs all the help it can get to render the graphics now. I can't imagine using seperate trees to create a forest in BoB and getting anything near acceptable framerates.

Choctaw111
01-24-2007, 08:54 PM
I can't imagine using seperate trees to create a forest in BoB and getting anything near acceptable framerates.[/QUOTE]

Oleg has ways...be sure http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Phil_C
01-24-2007, 09:27 PM
It is a very ingeneous way these tress were created

Yeah it is..

and i still get a better illusion of being at altitude while flying around in IL2/PF/46 than anything else.. and the trees are a good part of the reason why.

Tho thats just me.

SwarmHammer
07-11-2011, 09:37 PM
In fact, SpeedTree 5.1 tree modeler has been used, so the whole chat about them not being better than 1946 is over. They are real trees.

VW-IceFire
07-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Warhammer37m:
In fact, SpeedTree 5.1 tree modeler has been used, so the whole chat about them not being better than 1946 is over. They are real trees.
No question in my mind that Cliffs of Dover is using a superior method. That's in 2011 where it is reasonable to expect that you may have the CPU and GPU horsepower to render every tree.

Ten years ago that was obviously not the case http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Works well flying over the forests. Not so well flying into them from the side.

Aviar
07-16-2011, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Warhammer37m:
No question in my mind that Cliffs of Dover is using a superior method. That's in 2011 where it is reasonable to expect that you may have the CPU and GPU horsepower to render every tree.

Ten years ago that was obviously not the case http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Works well flying over the forests. Not so well flying into them from the side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have CoD, but I have read that you can fly through all of the trees without taking any damage at all. If this is true, why is that a 'superior method' for rendering trees?

Aviar

Stiletto-
07-17-2011, 05:03 AM
The rendering method has nothing to do with the inability to collide with them. That is a different problem they were having with the code, I believe it had something to do with lag or stutters.

Just because they are having problems with their game engine doesn't mean its tied with SpeedTree, there are many many games that use SpeedTree very well.

Bremspropeller
07-17-2011, 05:59 AM
I'm glad you found out about...DELTA WOOD http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif