PDA

View Full Version : Type XXI - disappointment

The_Silent_O
04-26-2006, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I know what you're thinkin' ... another thread about the Type XXI bugs. And your right! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Here's the deal. I've played three careers now and I've never had any memory problems or lockups.

So now after purposely putting myself with the right renown and timing in Bergen to get a XXI for the first time...I'm having memory lockups like I've never experienced before...I have to do a complete reboot.

I searched the community manual and threads here for this particular bug or crash and could not find it. It happens while I'm setting up my attack with the periscope and either, just before or after I launch a torpedo...talk about Coitus Interuptus... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

1) has anybody else experienced this particular memory lockup?

2) Is there a known fix or work around?

3) If not, I guess I'll put SHIII on the shelf for awhile and give Sid Meier's Pirates a spin...

DELL INSPIRON 8600 laptop
512 ram
ATI mobility 9600 with 64 megabytes

Celeon999
04-26-2006, 09:31 AM
my attack with the periscope and either, just before or after I launch a torpedo...talk about Coitus Interuptus...

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Nope, havent noticed this bug yet......but never say never ! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bucketlung
04-26-2006, 03:48 PM
You must be bad luck. I have never had this game crash on me until a couple of hours ago.

I had just sunk three ships in a heavily protected convoy off the US coast in June 1944. I managed to survive being chased by 6 destroyers and just as I was slipping away from the last persistant destroyer the game crashes.

But I'm sailing a IX-C. I've been trying to save renown for an XXI, thanks for the warning.

HeibgesU999
04-26-2006, 04:25 PM
The only crashes I have had, all dealt with Corrupted Save Games. I don't even Alt-Tab anymore when I play SH3.

And I give myself extra renound to make Kapitanleutnant after a couple of patrols, and this never gave me any problems either.

Perhaps it is XXI specific.

The_Silent_O
04-26-2006, 04:47 PM
I'm going to reload from the port again and see if it crashes...again.

The Schorhel is worthless...out of nowhere you get hit by aircraft...

Guys thanks for all the tips...but I think it is XXI specific and has to do with targeting with the periscope.

rls669
04-26-2006, 07:49 PM
You do have the mod installed to fix the batteries and schnorkel, right? No point in trying to use the XXI without it.

I got to use the XXI for one mission before the game corrupted my 40-patrol career. Now I'm back in 1941.

Werner_U-292
04-26-2006, 10:53 PM
Of course you have memory issues with 512mb of ram. What a joke, no offence but thats no set up for a gaming PC these days. I had to upgrade to 2 gigs just to run BF2 online, I know SH3 is different and older game but I wouldn't try to run anything with 512 mb's short of some old strategy game like Age of Empires, or something.

Virtual_Adept
04-26-2006, 11:47 PM
I've not had any problems with the XXI except for the battery and snorkel issues. Of course, I have 1.5 gigs of RAM...

Originally posted by rls669:
You do have the mod installed to fix the batteries and schnorkel, right? No point in trying to use the XXI without it.

Where is this mod?

rls669
04-27-2006, 02:04 AM
http://www.u-boot.realsimulation.com/

In the SH3 Downloads general mods section, it's called XXI Flak and Battery Fix.

Also, unless you're in really rough seas, you can use the schnorkel at periscope depth, which will really reduce the radar signature.

The_Silent_O
04-27-2006, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by Werner_U-292:
Of course you have memory issues with 512mb of ram. What a joke, no offence but thats no set up for a gaming PC these days. I had to upgrade to 2 gigs just to run BF2 online, I know SH3 is different and older game but I wouldn't try to run anything with 512 mb's short of some old strategy game like Age of Empires, or something.

I've had no problems with any of the games I've played. 512mb is sufficient for what I do. I'm not a first person shooter fanatic so the most trying games I have are SHIII and IL-2 and both play fabulously.

Other games that play great on my system are Blitzkrieg series and Codename Panzer.

I purchase my system (laptop) knowing that I would not get into the heavy 3-d gaming. It travels well and I can pick up the internet wherever I can find a hotspot.

The_Silent_O
04-27-2006, 05:24 AM
The problem with my Type XXI seems to be solved...last night I downed 3 cargos with four torpedos.

I can tell there are some issues with the XXI as the coders left it.

- the periscope doesn't quite line up with it's elevation meter.

- I have no idea what the proper schorkel and periscope depth is.

- Know about the battery problem and I'm not too concerned about the schorkel issue.

Thanks for all the input

Goosen83
04-28-2006, 03:39 AM
Ive experienced the exact same thing just in a type IX or type VII at the start of the war. I had just installed the Grey Wolves at the time and I thought that was the problem. A reboot took care of the problem and I havent encountered it since then (and I still have GW). And no, its not the amount of ram, I had 1024mb.

The_Silent_O
04-28-2006, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Goosen83:
Ive experienced the exact same thing just in a type IX or type VII at the start of the war. I had just installed the Grey Wolves at the time and I thought that was the problem. A reboot took care of the problem and I havent encountered it since then (and I still have GW). And no, its not the amount of ram, I had 1024mb.

yep, some sort of very rare bug although I've never had it early in the war.

Torpedo_Lover
04-29-2006, 11:14 PM
Id also like to say. i can play all types of games on 512MB. nay probs in that department http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

rls669
04-29-2006, 11:27 PM
Since I'm looking at the task manager right now that says SH3's peak memory usage was over 650mb, there's definitely a difference with more memory even if, with only 512mb, you've never experienced it. Of course SH3 isn't really a very demanding game. Try playing Oblivion or Fear with high-res textures etc in a decent resolution with 512 megs.

Torpedo_Lover
04-29-2006, 11:47 PM
Its just wen ppl say 'what a joke' its daft lol. i play SH3 alot and find no probs at all. apart from stodgy AI lol