PDA

View Full Version : He-111 in online games

XyZspineZyX
09-20-2003, 08:26 AM
How do you use the He-111 when playing online? I took some time to try to figure out how to use the bombsight but never successfully did anything with it. Instead, I've gotten used to using the He-111 in a sort of quick "dive-bomb" role where I roll out my bombs while skimming the ground. This is best done when external views are enabled, but that probably isn't completely necessary.

How do you He-111 veterans do it? If you do use the bombsight, can you give a play-by-play of dropping a bomb using the bombsight for the rest of us "fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants" people?

XyZspineZyX
09-20-2003, 08:26 AM
How do you use the He-111 when playing online? I took some time to try to figure out how to use the bombsight but never successfully did anything with it. Instead, I've gotten used to using the He-111 in a sort of quick "dive-bomb" role where I roll out my bombs while skimming the ground. This is best done when external views are enabled, but that probably isn't completely necessary.

How do you He-111 veterans do it? If you do use the bombsight, can you give a play-by-play of dropping a bomb using the bombsight for the rest of us "fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants" people?

XyZspineZyX
09-20-2003, 03:19 PM
Man, no one? C'mon.

BUMP!

XyZspineZyX
09-20-2003, 03:26 PM
Well, when the He-111 first came out, it was quickly found out that there was a bug with the automatic bomb release when flying online.

Some people thought they found a way around it but, together with the light defensive armament, ppl don't fly the He-111 very often anymore in the intended role.

Does the bombsight work properly now in online 1.11??

I made a formula for calculating TAS in excel.

=C3+((C3/100)*2)*(($B4*3,2808)/1000)

C3= IAS in km/h
B4= the altitude in meters.

I tested it offline and from an altitude of 3000m, it is almost spot-on.

Happy flying!

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye
shall be judged: and with what
measure ye mete, it shall be
measured to you again.

http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/templates/subSilver/images/logo_phpBB.gif (http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/index.php)

XyZspineZyX
09-20-2003, 04:00 PM
I'm a veteran Heinkel Pilot, since I suck as a fighter pilot I might as well give somebody something to shoot down. Here's the play by play on a typical online mission.
First most important: You have to find a good server that has something worthwhile to bomb, a sort of mission with some cities or ships near bases, something besides air bases. Never use the cheats: ea-No speedbar ,No icons ,No external views, No minimap icons ,Complex engine Mgnt ,only one chance (no respawning) and you have to land back at the base you left from, taxi to the hanger and shut down. More realistic this way.

1-Plan your mission.
2-Take off from a farther away base, climb, climb, climb, at least 5000m min. Fly outside the battle area, plan some sort of unexpected route so you survive the trip there at least.
3-use the bombadier or nose gunner position to see where you are and line up the bombing run by using landmarks, or directional compass, I usually grab a screen shot of the map, leave the server and print one real quick for reference , then go back on.
4-Map a key for "level stabilzation" so when on the bombing run you can concentrate on the onocular site.
5-head straight toward the target, fly straight level with aircraft trimmed and around 270 kts.
6-jump to bombadier station. with a formula (like one posted) enter your TAS (true air speed) Altitude into the bombsite.
7-shift+F1 to look through site, raise atitude of site, with mapped atitude keys, to say 70 or 80 degress forward to scan horizon for target, to make sure you are on a straight run.
8-to not have to worry about keeping the aircraft level, since this is required for crosshairs to appear, use the "level stabilazation key" to keep plane level and on course, you will slowly loose altitude but if you hit this key then trim the aircraft just right, then turn off, you will not need the key any more and you can go back to the bombsite.
9-look through the site, follow the target with crosshair for a second or so then hit "bomb automation key" , that's it, the crosshair will follow the target then tell you "bombs released "then "bomb automation" off.
10-I look from the rear belly gunner position to watch if bombs hit target.
Important: get the hell out of there, quick bank and head home to land, usually most fighters are too lazy to fly up after you. If you are chased head for clouds or what ever you can do because you will lose on your own, I fly usually with my buddy in his BF-109 and he helps out big time, usually stays a little behind and higher then swoops down if somebody is on my six.

<center>http://www.bluebyte.net/il2-e/graphics/il2.jpg
<marquee>game for sale, slightly used, $5.00</marquee>

XyZspineZyX
09-20-2003, 04:00 PM
Try using the TB-3 bombsight first. It's more simplified, yet you can accurately bomb with it. Good luck on making it to a target, and it takes a while to get altitude.
I'm working on a complete bombsight tutorial and will post it when I get it finished.

This is JimRockford. At the tone leave your name and message; I'll get back to you.

XyZspineZyX
09-20-2003, 04:04 PM
One more tip, you can trim a fully laden HE-111H2 with power settings (not H6 unfortunatly) when you have the level-stabilizer on.Throttle on 86% and prop pitch on 80% should do the trick.

These settings may vary with diffrent fuel loadouts.

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye
shall be judged: and with what
measure ye mete, it shall be
measured to you again.

http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/templates/subSilver/images/logo_phpBB.gif (http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/index.php)

XyZspineZyX
09-20-2003, 05:32 PM
I don't use the bombsight much, but I normally fly an H-6 as well, which makes it less necessary IMO. I tend to cruise at around 2000m or so, then as I start approaching the target I go to the nose gunner position (much easier to line up that way - I can't line up worth a damn from the pilot's left-side seat), and when the target is at about a 45 to 60 degree angle from me I dive on it, full throttle and about 80% prop with 100% fuel mixture. When I get close I release my first 2 500kg bombs, wait a tick then release the other two. I then start pulling up, increasing my mixture to 120% and prop to 100%, so that I end up at about 250m above the ground and at a good rate of speed (400+, it's been awhile so I couldn't tell you how fast I actually hit), and start turning while rising slightly. If you do it right you'll be heading back towards your base while still going over 400kph, and at a low enough altitude that unless someone followed you in the dive, by the time anyone figures out where you are and what's going on odds are you'll be too far away for the enemy to effectively attack you. This doesn't work nearly as well in later-year missions, but up until mid/late-'43ish I can do that repeatedly and very seldom get shot down.

BTW, here's a handy-dandy (although beta, technically) utility BadBernie (over at greatergreen.com) made that calculates TAS for you and automatically inputs it into your bombsight:

http://209.209.44.31/scripts/ikonboard/ikonboard.pl?s=9b77cc74f6a8db82113a70adf747185d;ac t=ST;f=27;t=4075

That link tells how to use it, and also has the link to download it from.

XyZspineZyX
09-20-2003, 06:36 PM
oh and anothier hint . If you dont want to mess with trim use the auto level. and while your loosing altitude you simply adjust the altitude while your flying with bombsite automation on it wont hurt anything and it will drop the bombs accuratly.