PDA

View Full Version : Shooting at planes in a VIIB...yikes

gunnulf229
07-18-2005, 03:55 PM
Ok, first and foremost, let me say, I have no mods, and am on 1.4b, and loving this game. Made the mistake of reading a few too many posts here in the forums about folks just shooting down planes like nobody's business. Maybe I'm not as young as some of you bucks, but I got a wild hair on the other night and decided to stay surfaced a couple nights back, and give the RAF whatfor. Ha...was I ever surprised! Maybe it's the fact that I'm only in a VIIB and have just the one gun, but the end result was the RAF bombed the living daylights out of me and killed a couple of my crew, and I struggled downard with sever flooding in 3 compartments, a ton of damage, freaked out crew all stressed to the gills (as they should have been). My score for all of this? Nadda. No kills on the RAF. Very much turned me into a believer, and I think I'm now firmly onboard with what real u-Boat captains would have done on spotting a plane..."Alarm! Take her down fast!" Luckily, finished up my patrol with near 70,000 tons in merchan shipping sent to the bottom. Glad I didn't have to write theat report up for real to BdU, explaining why I thought it was worth risking a valuable U-Boat trying to shoot down a relaitively cheap airplane. For thos of you shooting down planes, I'd like to know your settings. I was playing at 59% (yeah, I'm not playing on hardcore yet, my trig skills just aren't up there yet and I don't quite get the manual settings thing in practice), and it nearly cost me my life.

twistedpretzel
07-18-2005, 05:44 PM
its a lot easier with four 20mm quads.

urlybird0
07-18-2005, 06:21 PM
Hey Gunnulf229

I can't hit bugga all when i'm firing flak either , i set them to fire at "Everything" on auto , Ok we may have an incident occassionally of friendly fire , downing a plane sponsored by the Lufttwaffe , but it gives you the oppurtunity to crash dive and escape .

Ubd

Maj_Solo
07-18-2005, 06:43 PM
either they hit or they don't ... it is funny as long as they don't ..... I always wondered what the fragmentation would be like from a bomb exploding 10m away .... anybody wondered about that huh?? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

in this game it is not funny when they hit, I left a save file of a badly damaged IXC in the caribean ... they crew is fine, I pick that boat up later .....

legodragonxp
07-18-2005, 07:20 PM
I fire on the enemy while turning and getting up to flank speed. Right after they make an attack run I dive and hope I have time. Maybe when I have multiple guns (I'm in late 1941) I'll try to duke it out, but after 1.4b (no mods) I've had some nasty run-ins with aircraft.

-Lego

stinkhammer6
07-18-2005, 09:18 PM
If you are feeling brave and in for a huge suprise, roll up under iceland, surface and do circles on their lawn tooting your horn, I got nearly annihilated by 11 search planes dropping their sticks of 500 pounders, each was taking turns bombing me like I was being passed around like a lawyer in prison. I got out of there but I wont turf that yard again.

OH if you guys have a sailor named Adolph Bahn in your tub, throw that guy on the flak gun, that sailor hands out serious beat downs to the planes for a mear scrub, Im not kidding.

Bubblehead1948
07-18-2005, 09:53 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif Had a similar experience to this one near the west end of the channel. Lost a gunner. If you insist on staying on the surface to fight, I'd recommend an experienced gunner, and let him do the shooting. Don't do this near coastlines under any circumstances. Regardless of what some folks have managed to achieve, its not worth the loss of a boat. Duking it out with aircraft is only something you should do if caught off guard. Fire long enough to force them to make another pass and then crash dive.
Thats my advice. You'll last longer that way.

stinkhammer6
07-19-2005, 04:20 AM
Screw that, my tub is taking on all comers, planes included, as far as Im concerned, nobody goes home, get in my path and youll meet Davey.

Ackwell
07-19-2005, 08:34 AM
I know it's unrealistic to fight against planes with U-Boat but because I work as an officer in Anti-Aircraft Regiment in army I just have to do that all the time.

One hint, the target situation in naval AA is the easiest there is. Air targets are attacking straight at you. Zoom the sight max (using TAB). Then do what we call "tracer observing". Look at where your ammo is going (that is much more easy in real life without pixels and resolutions etc.). For big planes like Catalina or B-24 aim for wings and engines. Short Burst and tracer observing. Thats the thing. And when they get really close, put the pedal to the metal. Give them all you got. But still, remember tracer observing.

quillan
07-19-2005, 09:18 AM
I'd dive, unless they were too close to be able to dive before an attack run. In that case, I'd run to flank speed with the guns manned, turn hard into the plane just before the attack, and dive as soon as the plane passed me. In my VIIB, I shot down a grand total of 1 plane. It was a lone B24, in the circumstance I described. It was too close to avoid one attack run, I dodged the bomb and had already ordered a crash dive when the plane went down. I had two twin 20mm mounts at the time. But, the increasing air threat is what finally caused me to upgrade from my beloved VIIB to a VIIC. Later on in the war, the AA firepower of a VIIC is enormous.

HimmelJaeger
07-19-2005, 10:17 AM
lol, it's a lot less dangerous when you have two twin barreled 20mm with a ROF beyond imagination and a twin barreled 37mm with a decent ROF as well... This is on my IX-D2 in Jan. 1944.

merlin414
07-19-2005, 04:34 PM
I believe that with experience your crew could do very well against planes. In my first career early in the war when they sent you one or maybe two planes I left my crew on deck and try to shoot them down. The AI in early war planes rarely came close to me, and now my crew is VERY good at shooting down planes. But I also do not allow seamen man the guns, only petty officers with a specialty for flak with an officer with speciality of gunnery and flak. Now in the early 44 in my XXI I only dive away when I see more then ten planes if less I let my crew deal with them, and most of the time I down all but one or two. I have no mods and am running 1.4b. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I will keep shooting down planes as they come at me.

BDNeon
07-19-2005, 10:13 PM
In order to effectively engage planes you should have at least one qualified flak gunner. Also, you should try to set an engagement range nominal for what you are engaging. For example, the slow and large bombers warrant long range engagement, since they are easy targets, while the smaller and more nimble fighters should be engaged at either close or medium range. I remember one time when on patrol with my newly upgraded VIIB, with a new conning tower setup with 2 flak guns instead of 1, I ran into a whole freakin aerial convoy of Sunderlands! There were roughly 15 of the bastards, and I ordered my AA crew to open fire at medium range, since I was running low on ammunition. Not a single bomber made it out alive. I filled up roughly 3 pages of my captains log with reports of downed Sunderlands. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Davca
07-20-2005, 08:53 AM
hey to all,
my experience is i always dive but recently i was loaded with the tower with 2 20mm twins + the 37 big flak + experience 4 flack gunners so i decided to fight.they jump at me right after leaving my pen port so i start fighting,i play on 74% realism.i used my bin to give my crew the priority of targets(works if they are closer) and the fun started.no kidding the airforce send for on sub at least 30 planes,huricans,bombers and so on,they came in multiple waves and my guys rocked,we shot down about 15-20 planes, and my 2 sailors died when they were fixing some damage on the deck gun.they got sprayed from the gun of the bomber.after that i decided not to risk any more not talking about running out off ammo and dived.
it too much by any means to meet 30 planes????
but fun http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif