PDA

View Full Version : The Forgotten Soldier

Gerd_Schopfel
11-17-2004, 09:13 AM
The book "The Forgotten Soldier" is a real autobiography from Guy Sajer. It is the best action book I have ever read! I just couldn't put the book down!

This is a book that I will hold close to my heart for the rest of my life.

http://www.blitzbikes.com/48748e20.jpg

TASKFORCE1x1
11-17-2004, 09:19 AM
I read mostly naval books. Does this have any naval history in it? Any mention of sub stories? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Messervy
11-17-2004, 09:21 AM
Is this the one about finnish strugle against the might of the red army?

argh...forget it...that one is Unknown soldier by Veina Alto.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-17-2004, 09:26 AM
The Forgotten Soldier is about a French/German guy who fought on the Russian Front. Speaking for myself, I didn't particularly enjoy it. It dragged in parts, and the descriptions of battle just didn't move me all that much.

Gerd_Schopfel
11-17-2004, 09:28 AM
Oh man, this book is beyond anything I dreamed off. To answer you question, there is definatly naval action in it and so much more.

If you have never read this book, then you are missing out on the best fist hand true story of a German foot soldier in the Eastern front.

Gerd_Schopfel
11-17-2004, 09:30 AM
Beeryus, this book is more than what a foot soldier sees and experiences in battle.
So please don't downplay this magnificent book.

If you have not read it, then you need to read it, and judge for yourself.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-17-2004, 09:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gerd_Schopfel:
Beeryus, this book is more than what a foot soldier sees and experiences in battle.

If you have not read it, then you need to read it, and judge for yourself. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1241.gif

I have read it. It's just a footsoldier's experiences on the Russian Front. There's no naval action in it. Here's the Amazon.com description:

"This is the horror of World War II on the Eastern Front, as seen through the eyes of a teenaged German soldier. At first an exciting adventure, Guy Sajer's war becomes, as the German invasion falters in the icy vastness of the Ukraine, a simple, desperate struggle for survival against cold, hunger, and above all, the terrifying Soviet artillery. As a member of the elite Gross Deutschland division, he fought in all the great battles, from Kursk to Kharkov."

I agree with the description, except I would replace the words 'exciting adventure' with 'tedious slog', and the word 'desperate' with 'boring'. The action takes place in the Ukraine, and if you can find naval actions going on in the Ukraine, then I'm impressed - I didn't know the Germans or the Russians fought naval battles on land.

Messervy
11-17-2004, 10:10 AM
There was an encounter between a russian submarine and the german tank, but I am not sure was it Sevastopol or Odessa!

RedTerex
11-17-2004, 11:06 AM
I enjoyed the book, I thought that it had all the right elements that make a good war story.
Even though I read the book 20 years ago, I still remember it.

Jose.MaC
11-17-2004, 03:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Messervy:
There was an encounter between a russian submarine and the german tank, but I am not sure was it Sevastopol or Odessa! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! Seems interesting! Could you explain more about it?

Egan2.0
11-17-2004, 03:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gerd_Schopfel:
The book "The Forgotten Soldier" is a real autobiography from Guy Sajer. It is the best action book I have ever read! I just couldn't put the book down!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is a great book but I seem to remember some controversy over whether it was a genuine memoir or if it was fiction. Here's a link to stuff about it:

http://members.shaw.ca/grossdeutschland/sajer.htm

There was a lot of stuff on the Battlefront.com forums about it a while ago.

For myself, I would like it to be genuine. It is a very good read.

jagtigermk2
11-17-2004, 07:13 PM
I read the book about 4-5 years ago, i quite enjoyed the book.

pzrshrek
11-18-2004, 05:42 AM
Best book ive read ever, and i ave read alot of ww2 books.

Read it 3 times and will read it again http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

pzrshrek
11-18-2004, 05:44 AM
Experts have decided, this is the real thing, allthough the debate were long. Still it has been official that this book is genuine!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Egan2.0:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is a great book but I seem to remember some controversy over whether it was a genuine memoir or if it was fiction. Here's a link to stuff about it:

http://members.shaw.ca/grossdeutschland/sajer.htm

There was a lot of stuff on the Battlefront.com forums about it a while ago.

For myself, I would like it to be genuine. It is a very good read. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

pzrshrek
11-18-2004, 05:47 AM
An non-emmotional person wouldn't like this book, but for the rest, i can guarantee you will cry when last chapter is revealed! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beeryus:

If you have not read it, then you need to read it, and judge for yourself. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1241.gif

I have read it. It's just a footsoldier's experiences on the Russian Front. There's no naval action in it. Here's the Amazon.com description:

"This is the horror of World War II on the Eastern Front, as seen through the eyes of a teenaged German soldier. At first an exciting adventure, Guy Sajer's war becomes, as the German invasion falters in the icy vastness of the Ukraine, a simple, desperate struggle for survival against cold, hunger, and above all, the terrifying Soviet artillery. As a member of the elite Gross Deutschland division, he fought in all the great battles, from Kursk to Kharkov."

I agree with the description, except I would replace the words 'exciting adventure' with 'tedious slog', and the word 'desperate' with 'boring'. The action takes place in the Ukraine, and if you can find naval actions going on in the Ukraine, then I'm impressed - I didn't know the Germans or the Russians fought naval battles on land. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pr0metheus 1962
11-18-2004, 08:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pzrshrek:
An non-emmotional person wouldn't like this book, but for the rest, i can guarantee you will cry when last chapter is revealed! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As an INTJ, I guess I count as a 'non-emotional person'. I certainly didn't cry. I was too busy trying to finally get the d@mned book over and done with to actually care what happened to the guy.

Gerd_Schopfel
11-18-2004, 01:32 PM
Beeryus wrote:
"I was too busy trying to finally get the d@mned book over and done with to actually care what happened to the guy".
==========
Beeryus, you really are a non-emotional person (what's wrong with you!?).

You refer to the book, "The Forgotten Soldier" as a 'tedious slog', 'boring' and d@mned, then why the hell did you even bother finishing the 500+ page book?
In my eyes, your lack of respect and synpathy towards this book makes you a miserable creature. I'm glad I don't know you in person.

Respect the unknown-the Forgotten.
-

Pr0metheus 1962
11-18-2004, 01:45 PM
Beeryus, you really are a non-emotional person (what's wrong with you!?). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing. I'm just an INTJ. We don't show emotion easily.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You refer to the book, "The Forgotten Soldier" as a 'tedious slog', 'boring' and d@mned, then why the hell did you even bother finishing the 500+ page book? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I rarely start a book without finishing it. You have to give an author a chance. A book has to be extraordinarily ill-suited to me for me not to finish it. I guess that's one good thing about it - I didn't find it 'extraordinarily bad'.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>In my eyes, your lack of respect and synpathy towards this book makes you a miserable creature. I'm glad I don't know you in person. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm. You decide you don't want to know me in person simply because I don't like your favourite book? And you say I'm a miserable creature? Lighten up! Heck, I'm sure there are lots of things we don't agree on, but that's never stopped me from making friends before. Some of my best friends disagree with me (vociferously) on most things, and I wouldn't have it any other way - if you surround yourself with people who agree with you, you're not likely to find out when you're wrong, and you're never going to change anyone's mind when you're right. It's a pretty safe way to go through life, but it's not really very challenging.

E.Thang
11-19-2004, 06:37 AM
Guy Sejer's 'The Forgotten Soldier' is one of the best war books I have ever read. If you are looking for a good Naval book, 'Gallent Lady - The History of the USS Archerfish' is awesome.

bertgang
11-19-2004, 06:54 AM
I don't know 'The Forgotten Soldier', but I'm not surprised about the different points of wiew.

The books I disliked the most were always about one of my favourite topics (not so strange, as I usually don't read at all books without any interest for me); no way to positively share my opinion with other readers, I was an heretic.

So back to latin:
DE GUSTIBUS NON EST DISPUNTANDUM