PDA

View Full Version : Drop Tank Question

Tex-Hill-AVG
12-08-2005, 10:53 AM
I searched the forums for an answer to my question and didn't find one, so here goes.

How many gallons of fuel do drop tanks hold? In FB/AEP/PF do all drop tanks hold the same amount? (I know they don't in real life). Is there a chart anywhere which lists how much the drop tanks hold for each particular aircraft?

Thanks,

Tex

Platypus_1.JaVA
12-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Dunno...

I really don't ever use droptanks. Online, my patience runs out long before the internal tanks are empty. And offline you can use time acceleration etc.

Tex-Hill-AVG
12-08-2005, 11:09 AM
Well, I'm creating some historical missions, so the information would be good to know.

Thanks,

Tex

lrrp22
12-08-2005, 11:15 AM
Tex,

Just realize that many fighters in-game suffer a very un-historical speed penalty for wing racks- not the drop tanks, but the racks themselves after the tanks have been dropped. The Mustangs lose almost 25 mph at sea level, and up to 40 mph at higher altitudes due to the racks. Speed lose should be 8-12 mph.

Originally posted by Tex-Hill-AVG:
Well, I'm creating some historical missions, so the information would be good to know.

Thanks,

Tex

Viper2005_
12-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Spitfires have their drop tank capacities helpfully marked (30,45,90 imperial gallons if memory serves).

Other than that I suggest that you use google.

A quick search reveals that the P-51's metal drop tanks had a 110 US gallon capacity. Resin impregnated paper tanks had a capacity of 108 US gallons.

A 150 US gallon ferry tank was also developed although information on this tank is sketchy.

Doubless this can be repeated for almost any aircraft you might care to name.

lrrp22
12-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Viper,

The in-game P-51 tanks are the 75 U.S. gallon version. The 110 gallon tank was relatively rare in the ETO.

Originally posted by Viper2005_:
Spitfires have their drop tank capacities helpfully marked (30,45,90 imperial gallons if memory serves).

Other than that I suggest that you use google.

A quick search reveals that the P-51's metal drop tanks had a 110 US gallon capacity. Resin impregnated paper tanks had a capacity of 108 US gallons.

A 150 US gallon ferry tank was also developed although information on this tank is sketchy.

Doubless this can be repeated for almost any aircraft you might care to name.

Viper2005_
12-08-2005, 12:47 PM
Fair enough. I've never felt the need to investigate in game - 50% internal fuel has always been quite enough for my purposes in the P-51!

lrrp22
12-08-2005, 12:55 PM
True. Coupled with the huge wing rack speed penalty, the fact that 100% is far, far more fuel than any map in FB could use makes the matter of drop tanks somewhat academic!

Originally posted by Viper2005_:
Fair enough. I've never felt the need to investigate in game - 50% internal fuel has always been quite enough for my purposes in the P-51!

Viper2005_
12-08-2005, 01:04 PM
A swift investigation suggests that allied aircraft have their drop tank capacities quoted. US aircraft probably quote their capacity in US gallons, I think that the Spitfire's droptanks are quoted in Imperial gallons (at least they should be...).

Interestingly the Mustang III has 75 gallon droptanks too. Given that it's an RAF aircraft, 75 US gallons ~ 62 Imperial gallons but hey...

Soviet aircraft have their drop tank capacities measured in litres.

Luftwaffe aircraft all seem to carry the Type D droptank of unspecified capacity. Google doesn't seem too helpful in this regard...

I haven't checked Japanese aircraft yet...

fighter_966
12-08-2005, 03:06 PM
notion for Viper there was at least 250litres
Droptank in Bf109 G4...if this helps they also
used tanks which wer called doppelreiter And if
I remember correct those were 350 litres but I
am not sure..

Tex-Hill-AVG
12-08-2005, 03:27 PM
I guess I should have been more clear. What are the "in game" capacities of the drop tanks for the various aircraft?

Thanks,

Tex

Viper2005_
12-08-2005, 03:54 PM
The "in game" capacities are as quoted in the loadout screen. US aircraft use US gallons. British aircraft (hopefully) use Imperial Gallons if Oleg's team have done the conversion. Russian aircraft use litres.

German aircraft use the Type D droptank (though others were available IRL). I don't know the capactity of the Type D droptank.

Japanese aircraft seem to have their drop tank capacities measured in litres.

<span class="ev_code_RED">So apart from the German aircraft, just look at the loadout screen for whatever aircraft you're interested in.</span>

For German aircraft hopefully somebody knows how much fuel the Type D droptank holds. Perhaps you might start a thread dedicated to that question?

BTW, If you don't believe what the loadout screen says, measure your fuel flow at a given altitude and set of engine settings on the Crimea map and see how much more duration you get at those settings with droptanks.

Padser
12-08-2005, 04:04 PM
~S~

A related question. Someone was telling me the other day that there is a bug that means that once you have dropped your drop tank your aircraft still responds as if carrying the same weight.

I'm not sure I've noticed one way or the other, although there isn't the change in pitch and altitude one might expect after jettisoning an ungainly weight from the aircraft.

Of course, in my case any ungainly weight leaving the aircraft is typically the pilot, or one of those ugly wing things... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

~S~

Pads

Tex-Hill-AVG
12-08-2005, 04:07 PM
Ok, start up PF & tell me how many gallons are in the drop tanks for the P-38. I'm at work so I can't.

I checked this morning & all it said was 2 drop tanks. (Unless I'm going blind of course. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Chuck_Older
12-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Just as a bit of info:

beleive it or not, the US used pressed paper droptanks- they look like aluminum but it's not

Aluminum paint, probably. Sounds strange, but using silver paint from a spray can (which had aluminum particulates in it) used to be a hot-rodder's trick to get head gaskets to seal better when high compression ratios were used and head gasket failure was the result- the aluminum paint in this case probably helps seal the droptank. Incidentally, they used glass elbows to feed fuel from the tank to the plane

Padser
12-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Using google magic and about 5 seconds I found this:

'...P-83J-5-LOs with two 55-US gallon additional fuel tanks in the leading edge space previously occupied by the intercoolers and thus restoring maximum internal fuel capacity to 410 gallons (1010 gallons with drop tanks).'

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/p38_13.html

And this:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~fbonne/warbirds/ww2htmls/lockp38.html

In game, you're right (2 x drop tanks) - I don't know, make it up...

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

horseback
12-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Working from memory, since I'm at work, but after nearly 40 years of scale modelling and 6 years of flight simming, I think the following figures are least generally correct.

In regard to LW droptanks, the figure I remember seeing most often is 300 liters.

About the Mustang's 110/108 gal tanks: the 75 gal tanks were common initially, but as the 110 gal metal and 108 paper tanks became available, they were almost certainly more common than the relatively expensive 75 gal teardrop tanks, which, by the by, did next to nothing for the P-47's range.

I believe that the standard tank for the P-38 was 150 gallons, and the big 'ferry' tanks might have gone as high as 250 gallons. 300 gallons for normal long-range combat missions sounds a bit high, even in the Pacific.

cheers

horseback

Lion_13
12-08-2005, 05:11 PM
According to the AERO Series publication (1968) the following:

"Efforts to increase the combat range of this fighter-bomber produced the A-4/U8. Two aircraft, c/n 669 and 670, were fitted with VTr Ju87 racks midway un the wings each carrying a 300 ltr tank. The ETC-501 bomb rack fitted under the fuselage, and carried a 500 kg bomb. All aircraft pressed into the fighter-bomber role were likewise fitted with this rack which could also accommodate a 300 ltr fuel tank."

Hope this answers the question for you.