PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Britain?

frapeforte1
01-31-2005, 04:27 PM
Does anybody have an idea when the BOB will is estimated to be released??

frapeforte1
01-31-2005, 04:27 PM
Does anybody have an idea when the BOB will is estimated to be released??

cwojackson
01-31-2005, 04:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by frapeforte1:
Does anybody have an idea when the BOB will is estimated to be released?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Which one?

frapeforte1
01-31-2005, 05:15 PM
How many are there? Are there different variants?

cwojackson
01-31-2005, 05:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by frapeforte1:
How many are there? Are there different variants? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>There are two under development. The 1CMaddox version you're obviously aware of. Undoubtedly it will be the most online player friendly.

Shockwave (they put out the most accurately modeled FS2004 addon aircraft) has teamed up with GMX media to produce an all new sequel to the original Rowan BoB. Their version will be aimed at the offline individual player market.

frapeforte1
01-31-2005, 05:44 PM
Do you know if the Shockwave version will be compatible with the IL-2 Series? Or will only the Maddox games one be comaptible? Any idea of when the Maddox games BOB is thought to be released?

3.JG51_BigBear
01-31-2005, 05:50 PM
No the two have nothing to do with each other and since Oleg's BOB is based on a whole new engine it won't even be compatible with PF. As far as a release date, your guess is as good as anyone elses. My guess is at least a year, almost definitely longer.

cwojackson
01-31-2005, 05:50 PM
Do you know if the Shockwave version will be compatible with the IL-2 Series? Or will only the Maddox games one be comaptible? Any idea of when the Maddox games BOB is thought to be released? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually neither version (yes, not even the 1CMaddox version) will be compatible with the current IL2 series.

I have no idea regarding the release date on the 1CMaddox version. It has been a very long time since there have been any official updates.

Chivas
01-31-2005, 06:10 PM
Originally Oleg planned BOB's release for early this year. But that was before Ilya talked Oleg into letting him develop Pacific Fighters. Pacific fighters has delayed BOB indefinatly or worse may have killed BOB.

I really hope we will be seeing BOB screenshots sometime after the next major Pacific Fighters update.

frapeforte1
01-31-2005, 06:13 PM
Thanks

gooner1
01-31-2005, 06:35 PM
Saw some high poly 3d smax screenies quite a while ago of a bf109e and the framework and detail of a hurricane plus some french aircraft on the netwings site so i hope bb is still on. That might be why things seem a bit quiet on the dev updates front. I certanly hope bb is still on because thats the sim iv'e been waiting on the most. =)

http://www.pintura3d.com/graphics/spit_hurricane.jpg

cwojackson
01-31-2005, 07:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gooner1:
Saw some high poly 3d smax screenies quite a while ago of a bf109e and the framework and detail of a hurricane plus some french aircraft on the netwings site so i hope bb is still on. That might be why things seem a bit quiet on the dev updates front. I certanly hope bb is still on because thats the sim iv'e been waiting on the most. =)

http://www.pintura3d.com/graphics/spit_hurricane.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The Battle of Britain appeals to me for it's simplicity. It was a crucial moment in history, yet the size of theater is limited, the length of flights restricted and the variety of aircraft limited.

LEXX_Luthor
01-31-2005, 07:20 PM

When first announced, it was "2005" which I knew then is 2006 because the world's gamaing Software Industry uses a different calender than PC users. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BoB...

Limited geographic area to model in BoB as the first install of a future line of Maddox sims covering possibly all theaters of WW2. "Return to Eastern Front in 7 years", Oleg said last year.

Limited time span of aircraft models and limited to 3 nations only (Brit, Germany, and Italy)...easy to develop this as first install.

Excellent theater to experiment with and put into a game just about everything future WW2 theater addons will need such as Radar, ground observers (hopefully), night fighters, naval action (except carriers), etc...

Oleg is supportive of two 3rd Party teams now working on...

1939 Poland BoB addon www.9-1939.pl/ (http://www.9-1939.pl/)
1940 France BoB addon www.france-simulation.com/ (http://www.france-simulation.com/)
(they could come in one addon, don't know)

The simhq boys/girls have Theorized that The Meds will be the first post~1940 BoB addon developed....a 3rd Party FB map maker posted that any FB maps of England and The Meds are "reserved" by Oleg and not currently available for 3rd Party development for FB/PF.

Rowan's new BoB will not have Flyable bombers except Stuka. This we know for sure. We are not yet sure if Oleg's BoB will have Flyable twin engine German bombers. We can hope. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Nemisis_WOF
01-31-2005, 08:48 PM
Damm shame that Olegs BOB will not be IL2 compatible (is that correct?)I was hoping it would be so that we could all have a nigh on complete full world theatre for IL2.

heywooood
01-31-2005, 08:53 PM
no - the two will not meet, but eventually, BoB will be expanded with other theaters like Med, etc...

BoB will be vastly improved game engine and graphics platform...enough to almost shame FB/AEP.... all new physics will make stalls and torque modelling a thing to behold.

You will not want to go back - but you will always remember the first, best airial combat flight sim we ever saw...Il2 and FB/PF.

tascaso
01-31-2005, 09:04 PM
I am all for moving forward...by the time that BOB comes out the CPU's and Vid Cards to drive it will very fast and very cheap!

Yes we will remember the dream that was IL-2 when it first came out! I waited a year for the release I remember seeing the first screenies and just drooling. I could not believe it when it first came out just awesome. Now we are a bunch of spoiled little brats arguing about FB, AEP, and PF.

As far as I am concerned PF did not need to be released as I seldom get into it much unless flying coops with my Squad M8's. BOB and its addons will be great! I can wait! Thanks Oleg and Team.

123_Tony_123VEF

Akwar
01-31-2005, 09:20 PM
Being a big fan of Rowans BOB Im actually really anticipating Shockwaves product.I know it will be a winner.And being a big fan of dynamic offline campaigns have no interest really whatsoever in online play.

F4U_Flyer
01-31-2005, 09:32 PM
All we need is a south britain / channel / french coast map and we could wait a couple years! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

MiamiEagle
01-31-2005, 10:05 PM
Iam also very interested in the new Oleg project Battle of Britain. I know it will probably of the highest quality. Please lets be patient. Lets not push the issue. I guarantee it will happen. But perhaps we should worry more of when will he finnish this project first.
I rather he finish this unfinnish project than for him and his team to leave us this half done deal. Their are plenty of program dedicated to the Battle of Britain.Their is one in the making as we read this post call Wings of Victory. Check it out . Its in Airwarfare Website.
Here is its address:http://www.airwarfare.com/
This those not mean I want to discourage you from Buying in the future Oleg and team version of the Battle of Britain.
I just want him to finnish this project first.
Thank you
Miamieagle

cwojackson
01-31-2005, 10:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Akwar:
Being a big fan of Rowans BOB Im actually really anticipating Shockwaves product.I know it will be a winner.And being a big fan of dynamic offline campaigns have no interest really whatsoever in online play. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Being a single player I have to agree, the dynamic campaign play is going to be great. The weather engine will be the frosting on the cake for me.

Yimmy
02-01-2005, 08:51 AM
I had Rowans BoB, but I did not find it nearly as playable as Rowans Mig Alley - mostly because I had an annoying graphic glitch, and found that it was slightly unrealistically hard to shoot down enemy aircraft.
I found the graphics simply amazing mind (apart from my said glitch).

Ergo, I am also looking forwards to Olegs BoB.

However, I can see it being a tad of a flop. I mean, how can it compete with the IL2 FB merged game? It will be more hardware demanding to play, yet will not delivery nearly so many aircraft / campaigns or maps etc...

I can very much imagine myself simply sticking with the present series of games for a fair few years to come, especially given at the moment I have only experienced PF.

ploughman
02-01-2005, 09:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> However, I can see it being a tad of a flop. I mean, how can it compete with the IL2 FB merged game <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From little acorns mighty oaks do grow...remember IL2 Sturmovik, a limited plane set and because of the success of that IL-2 FB came out with a plethora of downloads and add-ons that now leaves us with a plane set that's just awesome and due to get even better. The BoB game engine, the increased immersiveness of the gameplay and the technology it utilises, and the appeal of the theatres of war associated with it will create a simulation that'll gain monster ammounts of momentum as it develops, much as the IL2 FB series has, until it becomes the all conquering Godzilla of flight sims stood athwart the shattered metropolis of the simming community around about 2007/2008.

Well, that's the dream anyway.

Hoatee
02-01-2005, 01:09 PM
My hopes are for a parallel development. We already can partially play BoB right now - all that is missing is the Spitfire Mk 1, for example, but we do have the Hurricane Mk1.

The seperate and new BoB will be all fine and dandy but not fit to run on all computers. Looked at the chat session regarding SHIII and apparently that subsim will only run under XP and the video card has to be able to deal with some 'shaders'. So I fear that my pc, while perfectly capable of running AEP+PF, may not be able to run BoB when it does come out. Which is why I hope the 'missing' bits will be added.....

Sterf21
02-09-2005, 08:59 AM
Let's hope they put in The Netherlands... that too was a part in the battle of britain.

madsarmy
02-09-2005, 09:17 AM
From what I remember when Oleg first announced BOB. It will start off with a limited number of flyable€s but it would be like IL2 & not be a stand still product.
Also remember reading that he liked the Lancaster a lot & somebody said €œthe Lanc was not in the BOB€. He replied €œI know but as I€ve said BOB wont stand still€

Saunders1953
02-09-2005, 10:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> until it becomes the all conquering Godzilla of flight sims stood athwart the shattered metropolis of the simming community <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ploughman, good one! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

darkhorizon11
02-09-2005, 11:51 PM
Flight sim after flight sim has been pumped out over the years, many coving the same topics with a couple new "wow" features with each one.

Mind you I'm not doubting 1c's ability to make video games but they REALLY have their work cut out for them. If they just improve the graphics and flight models it was just be new and improved FBAEPPF. Of course 1c knows this so for BoB I'm expecting:

Extremely complex flight models: What we have now plus realistic acceleration and deceleration. Especially in dives. It would be nice if they got stalls and spins right too. That is my one LARGEST gripe for FBAEPPF.

Nasty Graphics: Duh! Every new game boasts this and unfortunately to many generic gamers this is more important than gameplay itself.

Complex Damage models and System Management: Basically like MSFS2004 WWII style. Complex engine management like we have now but also seperate systems that are modeled such as the electrical, vacuum, cabin pressurization (though most aircraft of the era weren't). This way we can practice and simulate instrument failures and the like. Same in combat, the location of a component and its function is modeled in the aircraft so if it is disabled it affects the systems and instruments that rely on it. Not just random bullet holes and prepainted damage skins ladies.

Immersion: The little things. Perhaps an optional pilot view of running out to the aircraft during a raid. Having to wait a minute while grounds crew pull out the chocks and fuel up your plane. The integration of smart AI ATC, they clear you to take off and give you vectors to your target (since those craft Brits did have radar http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif) ATC also knows how to run a traffic pattern instead of vectoring planes at each other and then screaming at you to go around everytime. Same idea goes for your wingmen and squad as well. Instead of a ghost flying the plane you actually see your body moving the controls. Maybe even the option to customize what you look like and what you wear (although that is pushing it). How about a first person view as you jump out of a compromised aircraft?

Flyables: This isn't as big of a deal to me as it is to some people. Were going to get plenty I would say at a minimum maybe 35 flyable aircraft and variants right off the bat. Naturally we'll be getting add-ons anyway and 1c does have a lot of help on this as previously pointed out. Perhaps another 35 non, I think that would cover most of the aircraft that took part in the BoB on the German, Italian, and British side. Then again maybe a few more since some people are modelling aircraft for campaigns in Poland 1939 and France 1940.

Maps: Yeah, good accurate maps. They shouldn't be too complex. The Channel and I assume there will probably one giant 500mb map that will probably cover Southern England and Wales. A northern map as well that will cover the Northern ports the Germans did do some bombing up there. Then of course the appropriate maps for France. A Berlin map would be important since the Blitz was ignited because of the British bombing. This is a long shot but it would be quite neat if we could fly between maps. Even if there was a 5 second loading screen and then the map maybe jumps to the adjacent one? Just an idea I don't know how feasable that would be...

Mind you I'm not being a jerk I'm just saying what 1c will have to do in this next game if they really want BoB to hit it big again like IL2 did. I not a programmer either and don't pretend to be. Naturally we won't get everything up there, but I just throwing out some ideas. That stuff, in my opinion would really make for an amazing flight sim and revolutionize flight simming!

fordfan25
02-10-2005, 12:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hoatee:
My hopes are for a parallel development. We already can partially play BoB right now - all that is missing is the Spitfire Mk 1, for example, but we do have the Hurricane Mk1.

The seperate and new BoB will be all fine and dandy but not fit to run on all computers. Looked at the chat session regarding SHIII and apparently that subsim will only run under XP and the video card has to be able to deal with some 'shaders'. So I fear that my pc, while perfectly capable of running AEP+PF, may not be able to run BoB when it does come out. Which is why I hope the 'missing' bits will be added..... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

do you have a link or anything about the problems with shaders you mentuned in SH3? i have been looking forward to this game for awhile now but lost touch with the updates and news about 4 months ago.

ImpStarDuece
02-10-2005, 12:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darkhorizon11:

Flyables: This isn't as big of a deal to me as it is to some people. Were going to get plenty I would say at a minimum maybe 35 flyable aircraft and variants right off the bat. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good post Darkhorizon but all the info i ahev read and backed up on my HD seems to point to 10-12 flyables as the initial MAXIMUM, with quite a few AI thrown in.

This still leaves us with a hypothetical list of flyables;

Spitfire I
Hurricane I
Me-109 E
Me-110C (i think it was the C)
Ju-88
He-111
Do-17Z
Blenheim

add a couple of Italian birds and a wild card or two (Defiant, Battle, British heavy bomber or a medium) and your in good shape without the patented Oleg goodies that usually slip in.

darkhorizon11
02-10-2005, 04:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ImpStarDuece:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darkhorizon11:

Flyables: This isn't as big of a deal to me as it is to some people. Were going to get plenty I would say _at a minimum maybe 35 flyable aircraft and variants right off the bat._ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks ImpStar Deuce. I stand corrected although there are a lot of third party modelers in there so we might wind up with a number somewhere in between.

Good post Darkhorizon but all the info i ahev read and backed up on my HD seems to point to 10-12 flyables as the initial MAXIMUM, with quite a few AI thrown in.

This still leaves us with a hypothetical list of flyables;

Spitfire I
Hurricane I
Me-109 E
Me-110C (i think it was the C)
Ju-88
He-111
Do-17Z
Blenheim

add a couple of Italian birds and a wild card or two (Defiant, Battle, British heavy bomber or a medium) and your in good shape without the patented Oleg goodies that usually slip in. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CreaseKeeper
02-10-2005, 05:31 PM
I guess I'm jaded, i've always been more interested in the PTO than the ETO.

PF was put on the back burner (notice I didn't say forgotten http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ) for BoB which IMHO is nothing more than IL2 ver 4. We've already got Luftwaffe vs RAF planes, and granted they can add many more to the exsisting, but it's the same ol' same ol'.

Save for making it with a new engine (I think) what is the big difference? same planes, a few new ones, and new maps.... Oh well.

I was hoping they'd really take the time to expand on the PTO but I'm happy with what I have, and like has been said before Oleg likes the ETO, so that's what us PTO fans are stuck with if we want a good flight sim.

the IL2 series is untouched in all areas and will probably stay that way for many years. I'm just glad to have some variety now rather than the same old spit vs Me109/fw190 stuff.

-S-

Tailgator
02-10-2005, 05:55 PM
well as far as BoB goes, someone wake me up when it makes it to the PTO http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

heywooood
02-10-2005, 10:07 PM
hmmm...after this experience, you may sleep like Rip van Winkle before Oleg thinks about a PTO expansion for BoB... buy a few razors before you lie dowm, mmmm-kay?