PDA

View Full Version : Two reticle circles.What are they?

parman2004
12-21-2004, 02:14 PM
What are the 2 circle reticles for? The smaller one floates inside the other larger one.Weapons fire at the center of the larger circle.Can't find anything in the documentation. Can I change it?

UKPsycho
12-21-2004, 02:19 PM
It appears to be similar to the modern jet 'shows your projected flight' function. I might be wrong, buts its my guess....

Capt._Tenneal
12-21-2004, 02:27 PM
Is this a new kind of "super sight" or PF version of wonder woman view ?

berg417448
12-21-2004, 02:44 PM
I believe the small circle is called a velocity vector indicator. maybe.

horseback
12-21-2004, 03:06 PM
berg's got it right; I think of it as being analogous to the 'ball' in the needle and ball turn and bank indicator. If your ball is centered on your instrument panel, you'll find that the little circle is centered left-to-right when you hit CTL-F1.

cheers

horseback

DarkCanuck420
12-21-2004, 03:06 PM
its used to show you where you will end up if you stay on course w same speed etc. you use it for landing. turn on auto pilot for a landing to get an idea on how it works. other then landing its kinda annoying. it crosses your sights sometimes.
if the search function worked you could have found me asking the same question http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
===============================================

prop-head
12-21-2004, 03:13 PM
Indeed, as Berg417448 says, the little circle's a velocity vector indicator. It shows the actual direction that your A/C is currently heading. In other words, you don't always fly axactly in the direction your guns are pointing.

Note how it floats around while you maneuver hard. For example, when yanking back on the stick it'll droop well below the gunsight reticle. The angular distance between the two basically indicates your angle of attack (the angle at which the wings bite into the air). And stomp on your pedals to see the velocity vector swing in the left-right plane.

The velocity vector was added to aid in carrier traps. As you glide down toward the deck, try to keep the wee circle planted more or less on the wires (the more distant ones, ideally), and you'll plant your crate at about that spot. Of course, a successful trap will only come about if you touch down at the correct attitude so that the hook'll catch a wire.

gates123
12-21-2004, 04:07 PM
Can this be seen in cockpit only mode? and if so how?

Athosd
12-21-2004, 05:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gates123:
Can this be seen in cockpit only mode? and if so how? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No - it appears in 'no cockpit' view only.

shieldsyy
12-21-2004, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the info. I was reluctant to ask.

Texas LongHorn
12-21-2004, 06:38 PM
berg wins the prize. It is indeed a copy of the VVI used in US Navy birds. I'm pretty sure the Thud and Tomcat were first to use this. Technically it is called the "Vertical Velocity Indicator." I remember on an overloaded shot up A-6 is was pretty darn important!!!! LongHorn

prop-head
12-23-2004, 02:05 PM
Longhorn,
It's not "vertical velocity indicator", but instead "velocity vector indicator." Big difference!

To reiterate, the VVI locates the direction in space toward which the A/C is moving at any given instant. Y'all know that at low airspeed you can have your nose (read: gunsight) pointed precisely toward the horizon but the A/C will actually be descending. In such case, the VVI will be positioned below the gunsight, pointing at the spot on good ol' earth where you'll eventually end up if you don't take corrective action. If you were to bunt over sharply enough in a negative-G dive, the VVI would pop upward so as to lie somewhere above the gunsight's center. So, if it were a "vertical velocity indicator", why would it move *upward* when the rate of descent increases, as in the example I just gave? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Troll2k
12-23-2004, 03:16 PM
In the 3.0 readme under the carrier landing section it is explained.

JaggedRaven
12-23-2004, 08:10 PM
I agree, it's a VVI...but I've also found it's a useful tool for leading an aircraft with your guns...put the smaller circle on the enemy in a turn, squeeze the trigger...and WHAMMO!!!...chunks of blood, spit and a$$ are flying everywhere.

of course I'd never use it like this online....*whistles and rolls eyes*

AFJ_Locust
12-23-2004, 08:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by parman2004:
What are the 2 circle reticles for? The smaller one floates inside the other larger one.Weapons fire at the center of the larger circle.Can't find anything in the documentation. Can I change it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AOA INDICATOR

DarkCanuck420
12-24-2004, 12:26 AM
Its actually an air freshener that dangles in your cockpit. i gues you could use it to help you land. but its moslty used for sniffing purposes onlyhttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif.
================================================