PDA

View Full Version : Something special about the original IL2...

The_Stealth_Owl
12-01-2009, 04:06 PM
It just seemed like more fun then 1946, I don't now why.

I seemed more free and it had better graphics, it was brighter and I liked the sounds better.

What happend with todays IL2?

The Original feels so much beter for some reason.

What do you think?

ROXunreal
12-01-2009, 04:13 PM
I think that everything you mentioned is better in 1946. No, I don't only think that, I claim it as a fact. The sounds and graphics are better and the game is bigger by having more maps and aircraft and aircraft options like CEM

The_Stealth_Owl
12-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Ignoreing the features, the original is better in my opinion.

I know! Maybe it was the non pacific fighters menu!

I hate the pacific fighters menus in 1946. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

Grey, green, brown, and tan always cheer me up, but the blue. Not as hapy of a feeling.

SsSsSsSsSnake
12-01-2009, 04:32 PM
there was something simple and pure about it, a bit like a virgin http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gifbut I know what you mean
ssssssssssnake

Fiberbot
12-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Perhaps it was the new, and unheard of, and (unseen) as of yet, fresh flight sim that swallowed us all up. I played the original sim forever and never really got tired of it. I agree with you all. There is still something very special about the orginal version!

Aviar
12-01-2009, 05:13 PM
The 'Original' was 8 years ago. That would put the kid at 6 years old. Who is he kidding?

Aviar

The_Stealth_Owl
12-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Don't make me take a picture of the disk.

Bearcat99
12-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Yes indeed there is stuill something special about the original IL2.. but bear in mind that many here have been flying tyhis sim since ten.. and believe me.. IL2 was great n it's day and it is still a gem.. but it has nothing on 46.

mortoma
12-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Actually it was a mix of good and bad. I think people are just being sentimental but the original did have it's fault with a static campaign system and weird flight models. The P-39 could barely take off and had a horrific initial climb too. The older FW-190A4 also was weird handling. I do have my fond memories but that isn't enough for me to reinstall it. I still have it and it's paper manual but they are only for my collection.

ROXunreal
12-01-2009, 06:23 PM
My first memory of IL-2 at all was trying to take off with a P-39 (of all planes!) in the demo. Without a joystick or any prior flying sim experience. Stall, what's a stall? And why is my plane crashing every time it leaves the runway?

Treetop64
12-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Maybe its the fact that the 8 year old IL-2 runs like silky cream on today's machines. I bet if we still had Pentium IIs with onboard graphics and sound chips, 512MB of RAM, and Windows ME, we probably wouldn't be quite as endeared towards it as we are now.

Besides, we'd be dreaming about how cool it would be to have all the enhancements and planes in IL-2 that we are now actually enjoying with 1946.

However, I also agree that the menus look better in IL-2 than in 1946. Too much blue!

Choctaw111
12-01-2009, 07:38 PM
The one thing that was better about the very first demo was the raindrops on the windshield. That was awesome.

Romanator21
12-01-2009, 08:14 PM
What? Really? Is this demo still available?

RS_Spitslayer
12-01-2009, 08:59 PM
There is a certain mod pack that takes the menu's back to the original look.

Stiletto-
12-01-2009, 10:27 PM
What I liked best and remember that stood out about the original IL-2 as previously stated, was the flight models.. It was very challenging at the time, to have to get your P-39 and MiG-3 up close to 200kph just to take off into level flight. God forbid you try to start climbing at that speed.
Though I am sure the original was tougher than '46, one of the first patches for the original IL-2 made it almost impossible to gain any altitude at all with a large bombload. This could be with an airstart and going at max throttle!

I also have dear memories of butchering the blue flyers in my beloved LA-5FN, back when 190 pilots were almost non existant and only knew how to turn fight. *sigh

stalkervision
12-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by The_Stealth_Owl:
Ignoreing the features, the original is better in my opinion.

I know! Maybe it was the non pacific fighters menu!

I hate the pacific fighters menus in 1946. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

Grey, green, brown, and tan always cheer me up, but the blue. Not as hapy of a feeling.

I like it a lot too S/O and occasionally reload it and play it still.