PDA

View Full Version : F4Us and Corsairs

Sana_HvJ
10-07-2006, 04:25 AM
Hi everybody,

can anybody tell me what's the difference between the F4U and Corsair in the game? The F4U versions are explained in the game database.

I'd thank you for some infos on the Corsair versions and how they differ from the F4Us

Akronnick
10-07-2006, 04:34 AM
Corsair Mk1 was the British version of the F4U-1 with the "birdcage" canopy which is not in the game. The other Corsairs are the same as the F4U-1A and F4U-1D which are in the game. They may have loadouts with British bombs, but otherwise are the same as their USN counterparts.

Sana_HvJ
10-07-2006, 04:35 AM
thx

WOLFMondo
10-07-2006, 06:03 AM
I dont' know if there is a difference in the FM but the British Corsair has something like 11 inches missing from each wing. So this might have some impact on roll, speed and climb.

JFC_Rautaristi
10-07-2006, 06:39 AM
The british models indeed have clipped wings (can't be sure but read somewhere it would be because of smaller british carriers?) and because of that have slightly higher top speed. This is not much though.

Although i usually love to have more speed, the british models seem to handle a lot worse than the USN counterpart, which leads me to prefer the USN ones. The gunsight is also better on the american ones, but these are just personal opinions. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

mandrill7
10-07-2006, 06:45 AM
Actually, the birdcage-canopied Corsair I is modelled in the game, but only in the British version.

Akronnick
10-07-2006, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by mandrill7:
Actually, the birdcage-canopied Corsair I is modelled in the game, but only in the British version.

That's what I was trying to say, thx for clarifying.

R_Target
10-07-2006, 07:56 AM
Also, Corsair I has full span wings.

VW-IceFire
10-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Corsair Mark II and IV seem roll a bit faster and float a bit less on landing (like the real ones). They are otherwise the same.

I prefer to fly the Mark IV if I can but the differences are very small. Its a nice touch to have them!

JG53Frankyboy
10-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by JFC_Rautaristi:
......... The gunsight is also better on the american ones, but these are just personal opinions. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

IIRC the F4U-1A/C/D , Corsair Mk.II and IV have all the same gunsight...........

i personaly prefer the Corsair Mk.I , because has the best rearview (with canopy closed), no overheadarmour.

and yes, the FAA Corsair Mk.II and IV , the Mk.I saw never combat action, had clipped wings because of the lower hangardecks of the UK carriers - caused by their armoured flightdecks.

horseback
10-07-2006, 09:48 AM
The Fleet Air Arm used the standard British practice of 'naming' aircraft and numbering the versions as 'Marks'; hence, the Corsair Mk I would be essentially the same as the base model F4U-1, the MK II would be analogous to the F4U-1A, and so on.

US practice prewar had been numbering systems alone, with the manufacturer or pilots occasionally providing an unofficial nickname. The British practice of naming aircraft caught on with the US public during WWII and has stayed with us ever since.

The biggest difference between FAA and USN Corsairs is due to the fact that the Royal Navy built their carriers with steel flight decks (which was found to be a great disappointment to Japanese kamakazes who targeted them) which meant that the hanger decks had somewhat lower ceilings (center of gravity issues-you don't want your capital ships too top heavy).

Because the Corsair's wings fold upwards, it was necessary to clip about 8 inches (approx. 20cm) off the wingtips so that the wingtips wouldn't be scraping the overhead inside the hanger decks. Apparently this had no negative effect on performance, but was not beneficial enough for the practice to migrate to USN/USMC models.

cheers

horseback

SkyChimp
10-07-2006, 02:30 PM
The "Birdcage" Corsair in the game is labelled as a Corsair I. Actually, there was no difference between the Corsair I and the F4U-1. Both had full span wings.

The loadouts for these planes are whacked in this game. The Corsair I (F4U-1), as produced, had no centerline rack, and no inner wing racks. The only external stores it could carry were 100lb bombs under the outer wings.

The F4U-1A, as produced, only had one centerline rack capable of carrying up to a 2,000 lb bomb. It had no inner wing, or outer wing racks.

The real heavy hauler was the F4U-1D/C.

I'd like to see these loadouts fixed, but they never will be.

stansdds
10-07-2006, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by SkyChimp:
The "Birdcage" Corsair in the game is labelled as a Corsair I. Actually, there was no difference between the Corsair I and the F4U-1. Both had full span wings.

The loadouts for these planes are whacked in this game. The Corsair I (F4U-1), as produced, had no centerline rack, and no inner wing racks. The only external stores it could carry were 100lb bombs under the outer wings.

The F4U-1A, as produced, only had one centerline rack capable of carrying up to a 2,000 lb bomb. It had no inner wing, or outer wing racks.

The real heavy hauler was the F4U-1D/C.

I'd like to see these loadouts fixed, but they never will be.

Yeah, I'd like to see the loadouts fixed and the Corsair I made available as AI F4U-1's, but you are correct, it won't happen.

IL2-chuter
10-07-2006, 06:07 PM
I'm surprised the Corsair doesn't have the bazooka tube rockets like the P-38 . . .

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Akronnick
10-08-2006, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by IL2-chuter:
I'm surprised the Corsair doesn't have the bazooka tube rockets like the P-38 . . .

I think those were a USAAF invention and weren't used by USN/USMC units, at least I've never seen these on a Navy bird.