PDA

View Full Version : The Worst Thing that AC2 could Do..

DreamerM
12-01-2007, 05:51 PM
Is be set completely in Desmond's time period, with Desmond as the main character and Desmond fighting whoever in his own time.

There are plenty of games in which you resist a dystopic, oppressive future, and some of them are really great, the Half Life series being the most shining example.

There is, currently, only one game in the world in which you fight Crusaders and Templars and leap from belltowers in Acre, knock over stalls in Damascus, and climb to the top of the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem. It's the artful, vibrant recreation of a long-vanished world that makes Assassin's Creed what it is.

Why would we want to trade that for the well-trodden ground of subverting yet another bleak future? Something other games, lots of them, have done and done well?

I don't care about the fake science and I don't even really care about Desmond. Altair, his problems, and his world are what I've become emotionally invested in. The rest is secondary.

dirtybird21
12-01-2007, 05:52 PM
The worst thing AC2 could do is not exist.

avsrule247
12-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Ok thanks man.

wepeel
12-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Worst thing would be an ill-developed 5-hour single player campaign coupled with an extensive array of multiplayer scenarios and an advanced ranking system on Ubisoft's site to match it.

I would much prefer non-existence over seeing the downfall of what started out as a great game with great potential.

MammothWaffle
12-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by DreamerM:
Altair, his problems, and his world are what I've become emotionally invested in. The rest is secondary.

Better hope your girlfriend/boyfriend doesn't read that.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

On a different note though, I fully agree that having the games plot fully in some gloomy future wouldn't be all that enjoyable and is cliche.

cooldude6681
12-01-2007, 06:14 PM
I'm actually hoping that Ubisoft makes AC2 set completely in Desmond's time period. While it's cool and all to play Altaïr in 1191, it wouldn't make much sense to keep playing as him when we've already done everything related to him and his story.
In case you hadn't noticed, Assassin's Creed's story is about Desmond and the Piece of Eden, not Altaïr being a bad-*** assassin in 1191.

Originally posted by dirtybird21:
The worst thing AC2 could do is not exist. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

DreamerM
12-01-2007, 06:17 PM
I think the fact that everyone who worked on this game was so emotionally invested in it is a very good sign: Jade Raymond said at one point that it'd be hard for her to "completely abandon" the franchise, and her eye for game design is pretty stellar. As long as the designers care about their francise, their characters, the world they're creating and their fans, we can't be led TOO astray.

I don't want another DMC2... DMC2 happened when a sequel to a well-known game was taken from the innovative director who masterminded it, given to a first-timer and his inexperienced crew, and told to make it "appeal to the mainstream." They watered down everything that made the game great, and no one ended up satisfied with the result.

tenclub23
12-01-2007, 06:17 PM
no. what would be ****in awesome is ac being both. fighting in 1191 and in desmonds time. like for sum reason u NEED to go back to get clues or sumthing and using the animus this time as YOUR advantage

DreamerM
12-01-2007, 06:19 PM
What, I ask, is the appeal of fighting in Desmond's time? We've done the dystopia thing, all of us, many times.

METELHEAD9000
12-01-2007, 06:56 PM
I agree that it would suck if the whole game tolk place in 2012 but i still think that it would be cool to play as demond and fight againsts abstargo and stop them from lauching the mind control stilite but also play as altiar and go around the world colecting the artifacts shown on the map created by the peice of eden

DreamerM
12-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by cooldude6681:
While it's cool and all to play Altair in 1191, it wouldn't make much sense to keep playing as him when we've already done everything related to him and his story.

You know those mystery novels? I like the ones in which the mystery is solved 2/3rds of the way through the book, and everything seems to have worked out....and yet the story's still going. And you have to wonder.... What have they missed? We've overlooked something. Something's still coming.

Maybe they'll be playing up the Sci-fi elements, perhaps incorperating eventual Time Travel, as Desmond continues to channel Altair and maybe have dream flash-backs to his life, maybe even conversations with Altair himself so they can start working together to bring down the Templars. There's plenty of opertunities left for our main man to kick more ***.

cooldude6681
12-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Isn't that essentially what all action/adventure games are? A "dystopia thing" as you put it? What is Altaïr doing if not simply fighting in a dystopia in an ancient time?

Edit: You make an excellent point about the mystery novels. It wouldn't be too bad if part of AC2 was about Altaïr, but I wouldn't want him to take up the majority of the game like AC did. I want to see the evolution of Desmond's character.

DreamerM
12-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Isn't that essentially what all action/adventure games are? A "dystopia thing" as you put it? What is Altair doing if not simply fighting in a dystopia in an ancient time?

The setting is everything. EVERYTHING. The setting and the creativity and attention paid to it. Assassin's Creed showed us something new. It took a plunge and set a game in a world that games have ignored before now: Instead of another GTA Clone or FPS in which you kill aliens, we got something new.

The "ancient time" which you so carelessly dismiss is almost a character in and of itself. The research that went into re-creating the locales, the political webs going every which way, the beautiful historical images.... THAT is what makes the game what it is. And there's no other game like it.

dirtybird21
12-01-2007, 07:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cooldude6681:
Isn't that essentially what all action/adventure games are? A "dystopia thing" as you put it? What is Altair doing if not simply fighting in a dystopia in an ancient time?

The setting is everything. EVERYTHING. The setting and the creativity and attention paid to it. Assassin's Creed showed us something new. It took a plunge and set a game in a world that games have ignored before now: Instead of another GTA Clone or FPS in which you kill aliens, we got something new.

The "ancient time" which you so carelessly dismiss is almost a character in and of itself. The research that went into re-creating the locales, the political webs going every which way, the beautiful historical images.... THAT is what makes the game what it is. And there's no other game like it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

About the ancient time being a character part... I was thinking the same thing, But not in exactly the same words... It feels like you're a PART of a whole different culture... One of the things i love is how every time you enter jerusalem theres tons of people migrating out of the city...

METELHEAD9000
12-01-2007, 07:14 PM
i think that the worst thing that AC2 could do is have a dead line that makes it so the game has the number of glitches and techincal problems like not being able to climb on to the roof of a builing even though you are lest than a foot away or have a horiable story line and it lasts less than 15 hours and isn't AC

DreamerM
12-01-2007, 07:17 PM
I want to see the evolution of Desmond's character.

So do I. I think it's rediculous that he lived with Assassins until he was 16 and the man can't even run. HOWEVER, I don't think the expansion of his physical role in the franchise is the way to go.

I honestly can't believe you'd trade the unique setting of AC1 for another dystopic future. Instead of the Only One of It's Kind status of the first game, we'd be in direct competition with Half Life and all the other games that have told those kinds of "Resist the bad future" stories. We're going to be in direct competition with all kinds of amazing games who've already tread that path until it's worn right down.

We've done something new in Assassin's Creed. Originality is what the industry relies on to grow. Can't we keep that new thing?

cooldude6681
12-01-2007, 07:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cooldude6681:

The "ancient time" which you so carelessly dismiss is almost a character in and of itself. The research that went into re-creating the locales, the political webs going every which way, the beautiful historical images.... THAT is what makes the game what it is. And there's no other game like it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree, the setting is phenomenal and there are very few other games that use the time period (in fact, I think the only other games that use that time period are RTSes).
I suppose another way to say it is that I don't want AC2 to feel 'forced' into using that time period. It should feel natural. If Ubisoft can incorporate the ancient time period into AC2 and make it feel natural/have natural story progression, then great. But if they use it just because there are so few other games out there that use it, then no. Just...no.

DreamerM
12-01-2007, 07:28 PM
I suppose another way to say it is that I don't want AC2 to feel 'forced' into using that time period. It should feel natural.

Wiether it feels natural or unnatural depends entirely on the story made up to support it. If they focus entirely on the past, all the Present stuff is going to feel "forced" if they focus on the present then any Past stuff is going to feel "Forced."

The Animus is what united the two plotlines, and the need to get information on the Piece of Eden is what drove both stories. As long as the past and the present can remain connected that way, then you don't have to worry about either peice feeling Unnatural.

DreamerM
12-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by METELHEAD9000:
i think that the worst thing that AC2 could do is have a dead line that makes it so the game has the number of glitches and techincal problems like not being able to climb on to the roof of a builing even though you are lest than a foot away or have a horiable story line and it lasts less than 15 hours and isn't AC

That, of course, is something that worries everyone. There are lots of ways for a game to end up sucking: not enough time, not enough budget, not enough people who care, bad voice acting, bad music, glitches, loadtimes....

DreamerM
12-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Notice one other thing:

The Evil Corrporation of Templar Evilness found what they wanted in Desmond/Altair's memories...and stopped looking.

Lots of people are making the same assumption that they did: the reason why they stopped looking is that the game is over, there's nothing else to do in the 2rd Crusade, Altair's done. And yet he's not dead.

Boy will their faces be red if it turns out they didn't hang in there long enough to learn something REALLY crucial...

nostalgicMonkey
12-02-2007, 12:15 AM
There seems to be a fair consensus that Altair will even BE in the second one. The ninja scenario seems more likely, with a flashback/prequel (think star wars)-type AC2.

The whole emphasis on having an Asian as Desmond's predecessor surely steers the story in that direction?

MiniAssasin
12-02-2007, 01:08 AM
why are people acting like the game is the first game to be set in the past i have played hundreds for 20 years and counting

AirRon_2K7
12-02-2007, 02:20 AM
We've done something new in Assassin's Creed. Originality is what the industry relies on to grow. Can't we keep that new thing?

Exactly. That's why Assassin's Creed 2 should not be in the third Crusades. It wouldn't be new, or original if it's used again. The best we could hope for is a Halo 2... where all of a sudden Altair figures out that he has the ability to do different things... that he (for some stupid reason) couldn't do before. If you look around, quite a few of the more sensible members (ie, people that don't speak with numbers... lik3 7h15) have come up with a reasonable idea of what the second game could be about. It doesn't involve the 3rd Crusades, but to be honest, it looks a whole lot better.

I wouldn't pay 44.99 for Assassin's Creed 1.5, I'd rent it, to see if anything had changed, if not... then I wouldn't buy it. Fact. I know, I know, blasphemy bla bla bla.

Can't we keep a new thing? What would be new about keeping an old thing? Assassin's Creed 2 should move on, and continue showing us something new. Simply by the nature of the game, this series could go ANYWHERE. Why not exploit those factors?

DreamerM
12-02-2007, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by AirRon_2K7:

Exactly. That's why Assassin's Creed 2 should not be in the third Crusades. It wouldn't be new, or original if it's used again.

So you approve of going backwards? Of going from a setting in which no video games before now have been set to one in which hundreds, literally, have been set? From fun organic Historical re-creation to another sterile sci-fi setting? They'll immerse us in that world and let us get attached to Altair, only to banish both to the has-been pile and let them rust? Even when every post here suggests ways the game could be EVEN BETTER?

Desmond's world is barely touched upon in the first game except in dialog. It seems far less real then Altair's world, in which people seem to live and breathe. I can only assume it's because THAT is the place that they want us paying attention to, THAT is the place where we are supposed to want to be and belong as gamers.

One game can't possibly sap all the potential out of a game franchise like this, the source material is just too rich. You act like everyone and their mom has played 3rd Crusade games.

katz_bg
12-02-2007, 03:35 AM
The worst thing AC2 could do is not exist. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

wepeel
12-02-2007, 04:03 AM

Can't we keep a new thing? What would be new about keeping an old thing? Assassin's Creed 2 should move on, and continue showing us something new. Simply by the nature of the game, this series could go ANYWHERE. Why not exploit those factors?

Innovation, while important, isn't all there is to making a good game. Introducing Altair and building his story up throughout the game represents an investment, both in terms of developing the game and of me as a player spending time playing it.
Assuming I end up liking Altair, identifying with him and putting myself in his shoes as I play the game, I'm likely to want to experience more of his adventures.

Obviously this is subjective, but it's always been my take on gaming. I have a problem with the Final Fantasy games for the same reason. You get introduced to a bunch of characters, and just when you start liking some of them, the adventure ends and you'll most likely never get to play them again.
With the background knowledge of the fact that sequels of some kind are going to be made, just with completely different characters in a different world, this just doesn't satisfy.

kew414
12-02-2007, 04:19 AM
What's left for Altiar to do anyway? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

lol I could imagine it
*open pause menu*

<LI><STRIKE>Go to Assassins Bereau</STRIKE>
<LI><STRIKE>Get info. 3/6 required before you can go on mission</STRIKE>
<LI>Mission: Pick up kids from school.
-They finish at 3:10
-There will be an opening at the front gate you can sneak through

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

AirRon_2K7
12-02-2007, 04:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AirRon_2K7:

Exactly. That's why Assassin's Creed 2 should not be in the third Crusades. It wouldn't be new, or original if it's used again.

So you approve of going backwards? Of going from a setting in which no video games before now have been set to one in which hundreds, literally, have been set? From fun organic Historical re-creation to another sterile sci-fi setting? They'll immerse us in that world and let us get attached to Altair, only to banish both to the has-been pile and let them rust? Even when every post here suggests ways the game could be EVEN BETTER?

Desmond's world is barely touched upon in the first game except in dialog. It seems far less real then Altair's world, in which people seem to live and breathe. I can only assume it's because THAT is the place that they want us paying attention to, THAT is the place where we are supposed to want to be and belong as gamers.

One game can't possibly sap all the potential out of a game franchise like this, the source material is just too rich. You act like everyone and their mom has played 3rd Crusade games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Way to quote a single sentence, moron. Not once did I suggest going backwards, neither did I at any point say anything to suggest that "everyone and their mom has played 3rd Crusade games". Learn to read before you attempt to make presumptions. Now answer me this; how could a new game based in the third Crusade be new, or fun, when the storyline has clearly shown us that the whole point of the game has been discovered?

I can see that you like the third crusade, and that you don't like the future, because as soon as you read my post, you instantly thought that I said that the second game should be set in the future. Well, brainiac, I didn't, 'not did I say where, or when it should (or could) be set. Feudal Japan seems a likely option (do your research) for the second game. And, infact if you read any of my post, instead of breaking down at the first sentence, you would know that I approve of the game going anywhere. There are 15 subjects that we know nothing about, and a 16th that we know very little about, apart from that he may be oriental, and that he killed himself. A game could be set in sixteen different and unique worlds, each with something new to offer, possibly refreshing and almost definately exciting. Plus the fact that this futuristic place that you loath with a passion, does actually seem unique.

When has a game been based on a group of modern assassins fighting templars who wish to exploit the treasures of the world to take over the minds, and subsequently control, everybody; starting a whole new world, lead by the templars, seemingly revolving around the date 21/12/2012?

I can't name more than 0, if I'm honest.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Go to Assassins Bereau
Get info. 3/6 required before you can go on mission
Mission: Pick up kids from school.
-They finish at 3:10
-There will be an opening at the front gate you can sneak through

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif But, seriously, that's almost the point (one of the points) that I'm trying to make. There isn't anything left for Altair, other than more of the same (ie. more assassinations) and critics have already complained about repetitiveness. The last thing Ubisoft would do (if they do make another one) is make the game more repetitive...

Sgt.Burger
12-02-2007, 04:46 AM
Uhm, slight spoilers in the post above?

GuStick93
12-02-2007, 05:03 AM
i dont even know how could ac 2 be completely in 2012,how the hell could desmond ifght them,any kind of violence he would make they would shoot him in a second.
SPOILER ALERT !!!!!!!!!!!
SPOILER ALERT !!!!!!!!!!!

We don't even know if desmond will be in Ac 2,maybe wel be playing as subject 16 and his ancestor,the guy who left the blood markings on top of desmond's bed,in an email by vidic u read that subj 16 had a far eastern descendant,which explains the chinese writing and the chinese buildings,i guess subj 16 also got the bleed effect and thats how he could write in chinese...

All i know is that AC2,wouldnt be AC without going back to the past and assassinating some ppl,that is why its called Assassin's Creed after all.

Only time will tell...

FatRascal
12-02-2007, 05:23 AM
My first post on here, and a long one I'm afraid.

I agree that I wouldn't want to see AC2 set entirely in the modern world.

I'd like to see it retain the historical crossover / animus element, and I agree that it's got to look at history and think "what other periods of history were famous for assassins and intrigue?"

Fedual Japan is one, but frankly video games have done it to death. Ninjas, samurais...been there, done that, got the deadly throwing stars.

What about Europe in the 1500s? Renaissance Italy and France and/or Tudor England? Imagine the fantastic city-scapes and challenges that could be created:

Tudor London - Gritty, dangerous, squalid. Castles to infiltrate etc.

Venice - The canals, the masked carnival-goers, the little alley-ways

Florence - The towering churches and cathedrals, the city divided by the river with its various bridges, the world of Machiavelli and the Medici family.

Paris - A city divided by religious tensions, the St Bartholomew's day massacre either brewing or still fresh in the characters' memory etc.

Rome/Vatican city - Speaks for itself really. St Peter's, the Castel St Angelo, perhaps the Masayaf of the game.

You might have to span a bit of history to use all these settings, or plump for some and ditch others, but I would LOVE to see a game where you're sneaking through these cities, hunting the Merchant Princes, the despotic Cardinals, the dissolute Monarchs and their families.

That's my 2p-worth, anyway.

Sep.

midna1
12-02-2007, 09:51 AM
Altiar should have a pet wolf like in shadow dancer. Kick-***.

xELITEGUNNERx
12-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Is be set completely in Desmond's time period, with Desmond as the main character and Desmond fighting whoever in his own time.

There are plenty of games in which you resist a dystopic, oppressive future, and some of them are really great, the Half Life series being the most shining example.

There is, currently, only one game in the world in which you fight Crusaders and Templars and leap from belltowers in Acre, knock over stalls in Damascus, and climb to the top of the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem. It's the artful, vibrant recreation of a long-vanished world that makes Assassin's Creed what it is.

Why would we want to trade that for the well-trodden ground of subverting yet another bleak future? Something other games, lots of them, have done and done well?

I don't care about the fake science and I don't even really care about Desmond. Altair, his problems, and his world are what I've become emotionally invested in. The rest is secondary.

i agree the future bit in the game r point less and i think that the game would have been better if there wasn't the future bit so y would any1 cut out the best bit

AirRon_2K7
12-02-2007, 10:27 AM
i agree the future bit in the game r point less and i think that the game would have been better if there wasn't the future bit so y would any1 cut out the best bit

Huh? I didn't get most of that. The future bit is the story, the rest is gameplay. Manage the two, and you've got a game.

DreamerM
12-02-2007, 02:00 PM
how could a new game based in the third Crusade be new, or fun, when the storyline has clearly shown us that the whole point of the game has been discovered?

I can see that you like the third crusade, and that you don't like the future, because as soon as you read my post, you instantly thought that I said that the second game should be set in the future. Well, brainiac, I didn't, 'not did I say where, or when it should (or could) be set. Feudal Japan seems a likely option (do your research) for the second game. And, infact if you read any of my post, instead of breaking down at the first sentence, you would know that I approve of the game going anywhere. There are 15 subjects that we know nothing about, and a 16th that we know very little about, apart from that he may be oriental, and that he killed himself. A game could be set in sixteen different and unique worlds, each with something new to offer, possibly refreshing and almost definately exciting. Plus the fact that this futuristic place that you loath with a passion, does actually seem unique.

A dystopic future game will never be Unique. It has been done too many times in too many different ways, and I always avoid them. Just like hack-and-slashers, they've been done.

Oh. Great. Japan. Maybe we'll get to play as a ninja. That's...exciting. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif Wait, no it's not. We've got Tenchu and Ninja Gaiden. Does the world really need another Ninja game?

CAN the next game go anywhere? Sure it can, I'm not Ubi's boss, they can do whatever the hell they want with it. But a sequel set in china or Japan won't be Assassin's Creed.

Can't have "Assassin's Creed" without the Assassin and his Creed.

DreamerM
12-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by kew414:
What's left for Altiar to do anyway?

At first glance, nothing. Which is why the templars have stopped looking. Yet he's still alive.

They stopped reading the book because they got to what they think was the important part. Imagine how sheepish they'll be when something more important comes up later and they didn't stick with it long enough.

AirRon_2K7
12-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Can't have "Assassin's Creed" without the Assassin and his Creed.

Yeah, that's why we have Desmond. Stop contradicting yourself.

A dystopic future game will never be Unique. It has been done too many times in too many different ways, and I always avoid them. Just like hack-and-slashers, they've been done.

If you ignore them, then you have no right to say that they're not unique.

lostassassin123
12-02-2007, 02:52 PM
I want to see the evolution of Desmond's character.
That's completely off-topic, but that post reminds me of a film "Bulletproof Monk".
You know, the Kaar's evolution is probably the most realistic in all film history http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Yeah, that would be cool, to see something similiar in AC http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

DreamerM
12-02-2007, 03:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can't have "Assassin's Creed" without the Assassin and his Creed.

Yeah, that's why we have Desmond. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Desmond doesn't follow any Creed. Desmond denies he is an Assassin. Desmond is not enough.

If you ignore them, then you have no right to say that they're not unique.

That doesn't make any sense.

NightChild
12-02-2007, 04:04 PM
SPOILER

Eh, everybody keeps saying that the whole 3rd Crusade thing is now done and over with, but we don't really know what happens right? I mean, the game kinda ends with Altar and the rest just standing there staring at the thing. Who broke it and spread it all over the globe? Is Lucy gonna bust Desmond out, will they escape the templars and have lots of babies? Speaking of babies, Desmond sounds pretty American to me. Did Altar or his children travel around so that their greatgreatgrandchild could end up in the Animus in the USA or wherever the Animus is located? Who wrote all the stuff on the wall? Maliks greatgreatgrandkid?

Sorry for all those questions, but I think there's still a lot to explain and to do.

(.. and I don't really want another ninja game :/ )

CatLikeThief
12-02-2007, 04:10 PM
The worst thing AC2 could do is not exist.

Enough said.

stringtapper
12-02-2007, 05:40 PM
I would be very surprised if the second game didn't have more past memories to be played. Whose memories they are would be the question. I also think it's likely that if Desmond remains a part of the story that you will be playing him in the future as well, even if it's just a little bit (maybe as the last level, an escape from the labs). One thing I experienced playing was that I really wanted to do more with Desmond during the lab scene, I was ACHING to play with Altar's abilities as Desmond.

What I expect is that it will become a game of subterfuge where you are being forced to continue with Altar's memories to help the Templars but can also do your own memory-surfing when you're supposed to be asleep in order to try to get the information to the Assassins first.

Or even a scenario where you play as Desmond in order to escape and then when you meet up with the Assassins you find they've reverse engineered the Animus and need your help to get information.

So in general I feel it will be a Matrix-like plot where you are essentially fighting in two (or more) different time-periods throughout the game.

And of course don't rule out the possibility that Desmond's own time could be one gigantic memory that is being accessed by a descendant of his living even further in the future. A "dream within a dream" kind of thing like you find in that B-grade sci-fi flick The 13th Floor.

ckiel
12-03-2007, 07:29 AM
If you're going to talk about ideas for the story of AC2, please read this first (click back to go in the right order of pages)

AC Promo Comic Book (http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/sircuddlesGHII/Assassins%20Creed/?action=view&current=ACBook1.jpg)

dragfindel
12-03-2007, 07:46 AM
worst thing could happen is ending with a cliffhanger la halo 2 and then the ac 3 would be called, finish it!

Bloxham
12-03-2007, 07:15 PM
I wouldn't worry about the game being 100% in the present for the sequel if I were you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DreamerM
12-03-2007, 11:30 PM
AC Promo Comic Book (http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/sircuddlesGHII/Assassins%20Creed/?action=view&current=ACBook1.jpg)

I'll admit the art is great and the idea of a kick-*** Desmond is cool. But the fact remains that Desmond ran off before his training was completed and renounced his Assassin's ways. He's a cynic but he doesn't actually want to hurt anyone.

Compaire that Altair, our elegant ruffian, our arrogant beggar, the sinner stuck between repentance and redeption, the dutiful rebel, our interesting mess of contradicting forces. He's much more volatile and I think a lot of mileage remains in his character. The only thing standing between him and potential Gaming Icon status is that he's just a memory: give him a more direct role in the story and we might have another Sam Fisher, Solid Snake, Agent 47, or Dante.

As for those who say the worst AC would be no AC at all, I have to say I trust the Ms. Raymond and the Ubisoft team: if they do this, they'll do it right.

ACfanboy12
12-03-2007, 11:48 PM
The worst thing that can happen to AC2 is what happend to AC1

DreamerM
12-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by ACfanboy12:

This from someone calling themself the ACfanboy? I don't get it.

Robbinho1992
12-03-2007, 11:55 PM
This may just be me...But i eould think they would have skectehed up the whole story for all there games before they even started developing it. SO bascially ims aying that whatever they have choosen is going to stick. Of they stick with altair...I would like him to move out of the Acre/Damas/Jerusalem areas and maybe go hunting for Eden pieces, that would be ok. A Future istic assassin? Hells yeah, sounds well cool. How they could implemmnet it with all the guns, but try and make it diffrent so not a nother SC? Thats goin gto be there choice...But would like to see more involvemnt from Dessy. In japan? ninjas? Sure why not, be a pretty cool game with the same mehcanics of free running, and to that person who said, "Wehres the assassins and Creed" I am sure Ninja's kill people....Are given targets and there for are also assassins, and i am sure ninja's also have there own creeds, just like that of the mayasaf assassins.

DreamerM
12-04-2007, 12:06 AM
In japan? ninjas? Sure why not, be a pretty cool game with the same mehcanics of free running, and to that person who said, "Wehres the assassins and Creed" I am sure Ninja's kill people....Are given targets and there for are also assassins, and i am sure ninja's also have there own creeds, just like that of the mayasaf assassins.

Why not? Because we don't need another Ninja game. We have plenty. Tenchu, Ninja Gaiden, and loads of other stuff. Also unlike the Assassins, the ninjas didn't kill for political reasons, they killed for money, they were mercenaries. They had very strong rules within their own societies, but their relationship to the outside world was strictly dictated by who was paying them and who was not. Plus the Ninjas were not formally classified as Assassins in the terms of the "ancient islamic sect of religious killers" sense of the word.

THOSE are the kind of Assassins that make this game different. It's not called "Guys who take orders and kill people and jump on buildings and have some kind of creed." It's called "Assassin's Creed" and THOSE killers are the ones that have been in ancient conflict and those killers are the ones that matter.

ACfanboy12
12-04-2007, 12:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACfanboy12:

This from someone calling themself the ACfanboy? I don't get it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its just my name... doesnt mean Im a fanboy... i wanted Hellboy12... but that was taken... thanks to some idiot

DreamerM
12-04-2007, 12:14 AM
Its just my name... doesnt mean Im a fanboy... i wanted Hellboy12... but that was taken... thanks to some idiot

There's a lot of other possible names you know, or are you being sarcastic?

ACfanboy12
12-04-2007, 12:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

There's a lot of other possible names you know, or are you being sarcastic? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No not being sarcastic... I just picked a damn name... does it matter?? god...

Robbinho1992
12-04-2007, 12:20 AM
Why not? Because we don't need another Ninja game. We have plenty. Tenchu, Ninja Gaiden, and loads of other stuff. Also unlike the Assassins, the ninjas didn't kill for political reasons, they killed for money, they were mercenaries. They had very strong rules within their own societies, but their relationship to the outside world was strictly dictated by who was paying them and who was not. Plus the Ninjas were not formally classified as Assassins in the terms of the "ancient islamic sect of religious killers" sense of the word.

THOSE are the kind of Assassins that make this game different. It's not called "Guys who take orders and kill people and jump on buildings and have some kind of creed." It's called "Assassin's Creed" and THOSE killers are the ones that have been in ancient conflict and those killers are the ones that matter.

I see what you are saying, but even if they did go Japan-style, im sure they would make it different to everyother game out there. The use of there own mehcnaics would hake the game diffrerent. Ninja's maybe mercanieres, but what says Ubisoft cant bend the rules and make them fight for something. And a question, why is Altair killing? Becuase he wants to kill these people, or is it ebcuase he is ordered to. He may not be getting paid for it but its nearly the same as being a mercaniry, he was being the angel of death for al mualim. And i hope you read the rest of my post, i dont care much where the next game goes.

DreamerM
12-04-2007, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Robbinho1992:
I see what you are saying, but even if they did go Japan-style, im sure they would make it different to everyother game out there. The use of there own mehcnaics would hake the game diffrerent. Ninja's maybe mercanieres, but what says Ubisoft cant bend the rules and make them fight for something. And a question, why is Altair killing? Becuase he wants to kill these people, or is it ebcuase he is ordered to. He may not be getting paid for it but its nearly the same as being a mercaniry, he was being the angel of death for al mualim. And i hope you read the rest of my post, i dont care much where the next game goes.

I always read all of every post. If I only quote a portion of it, it's for clarity's purposes.

Ubisoft made quite a fuss about Assassin's Creed's historical accuracy. That's why they couldn't and shouldn't "change the rules" and turn ninjas from the impartial mercenaries they were into some sort of crusaders for justice, which is what the Asassin's painted themselves as.

Altair is able to take orders from Al Mualim because when Al Mualim tells him all the death is in service of a more peaceful future, Altair believes him. He believes his cause is just, THAT is why he fights. That's the creed the franchise is named for. It wouldn't be AC otherwise.

Robbinho1992
12-04-2007, 12:58 AM

I always read all of every post. If I only quote a portion of it, it's for clarity's purposes.

Ubisoft made quite a fuss about Assassin's Creed's historical accuracy. That's why they couldn't and shouldn't "change the rules" and turn ninjas from the impartial mercenaries they were into some sort of crusaders for justice, which is what the Asassin's painted themselves as.

Altair is able to take orders from Al Mualim because when Al Mualim tells him all the death is in service of a more peaceful future, Altair believes him. He believes his cause is just, THAT is why he fights. That's the creed the franchise is named for. It wouldn't be AC otherwise.

Uh huh.....

But if they were to stay in the third crusades, wouldnt you kind of think "Been there done that"? I certainly would. I wouldnt have no problem being altair again, by all emans hes great, but to be in the same area, id say thats a big no no. And without Al Mualim to enforce the creed, do the assassins have the creed anymore? I suspect they would still follow it, but with no leader to enfore it, will some of the assassins go against the creed?

I jsut want to the game to be as good or better than this one, and im not bias to where ever it will be, and all becyase some people think its a good idea to stay, im sure ubi have alreead y made up there mind about where they are going next and theres not much we can do but wait and speculate.

DreamerM
12-04-2007, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Robbinho1992:

Uh huh.....

But if they were to stay in the third crusades, wouldnt you kind of think "Been there done that"? I certainly would. I wouldnt have no problem being altair again, by all emans hes great, but to be in the same area, id say thats a big no no. And without Al Mualim to enforce the creed, do the assassins have the creed anymore? I suspect they would still follow it, but with no leader to enfore it, will some of the assassins go against the creed?

The Assassins are still around today, their organization is bigger then any one man. Al Mualim's gone but they'll have a new leader before too long.

By the way, I hate that I know that spoiler. Hate it hate it hate it, and I picked it up around here. Damn.

I'm all for expanding the game world. That's what sequels should do. I think the depth of history and the size of the Holy Lands and the conflict therein contains more then enough source material for several more games without re-treadding old ground.

And even old ground can be made new again by new levels of interactivity: animals in the streets, more people to interact with, doors that can be opened and interiors to explore. AI to be improved upon and information-gathering to be perfected.

The Crusades weren't a little thing. They were a big thing, and the first game barely scratched the surface.

Yes, let the sequel break new ground. DON'T let the sequel take the "assassin's creed" out of AC and turn this into a series of historical games like the "_____ Trail" franchise. That'd be cheap.

Dunno
12-04-2007, 10:38 PM
The worst thing AC2 could be is a version of Oregon Trail where you can die of boredom.

DreamerM
12-05-2007, 03:16 AM
Hey, I liked Oregon trail when I was eight. But it didn't contain nearly enough politically motivated murder.

Still my point that AC wont be AC if set anywhere else remains.

Dunno
12-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Hey, I liked Oregon trail when I was eight. But it didn't contain nearly enough politically motivated murder.

Well then you obviously weren't in my wagon train...

DreamerM
12-07-2007, 11:05 PM
Fact: People who haven't even played the game have already latched onto Altair: making costumes of his outfit and fanart of his image.

How successful is any Assassin's Creed video game going to be with Desmond, some guy in a hoody, on the cover?

ACfanboy12
12-08-2007, 12:05 AM
The WORST thing that can happen to AC2 is that it never happens...