PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Sidewinder 2 and Windows 7

smink1701
06-27-2010, 02:32 PM
About to upgrade to windows 7 and was wondering if there were any issues with using MS Sidewinder joystick?

Thanks

Waldo.Pepper
06-28-2010, 12:00 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/windo...y/en-us/default.aspx (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/en-us/default.aspx)

No answer from MS, typical, when I asked the answer given was 'information coming soon' HA!

Xiolablu3
06-28-2010, 04:10 AM
Hi, smink1701.

I realise you are new so I will leave this one, but in future could you please put these queries in the community help section?

smink1701
06-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Sorry.

Urufu_Shinjiro
06-28-2010, 12:23 PM
If it's the USB version then it should work fine, though the programming software won't, you can use a third party joystick profiling program (bearcat has linked a few somewhere, do a search). If it's the gameport version, then no.

smink1701
06-28-2010, 12:51 PM
It's a usb.

general_kalle
06-28-2010, 02:59 PM
pm my squadmate TrinityJay (on theese forums)

Trinity_Jay
06-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Stone,

Thanks for the head's up.

Smink: With regards to to the MSFS2 and Windows 7 (64), I had no issues. It was a case of plug in and play. You may want to go into your Windows config and check it, but I had no issues. Same goes for the CH pedals, TrackIR and X52 throttle.

Let me know how it goes.

Jay
CPS_Bulldog

jameson2010
07-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Biggest issue is that you cannot switch off the return to centre forces without installing the original drivers that came with the stick. It therefore feels like stirring a stick in cement all the time. Unlike under Xp where, with drivers installed, the stick is floppy when stationary on the ground, and only gets any force as airspeed increases. This gives an approximation to flying as in a real aircraft. If Bearcat has recommended some software that will work instead of the original drivers, I'd try that, presumably that will turn off the return to centre force. The difference is remarkable without it btw.

Cpt_Lindgren
07-08-2010, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by jameson2010:
Biggest issue is that you cannot switch off the return to centre forces without installing the original drivers that came with the stick. It therefore feels like stirring a stick in cement all the time. Unlike under Xp where, with drivers installed, the stick is floppy when stationary on the ground, and only gets any force as airspeed increases. This gives an approximation to flying as in a real aircraft. If Bearcat has recommended some software that will work instead of the original drivers, I'd try that, presumably that will turn off the return to centre force. The difference is remarkable without it btw.

I don't know how it works in Win 7, but in Vista the centering is disabled when you activate Force feedback in the game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jameson2010
07-08-2010, 02:05 PM
That wasn't the case when I tried vista, but then it was only on the machine for three days, and for half of that time it displayed the message "windows is updating"! So it was back to xp. But I seem to recall it was possible to install drivers for the stick in vista under xp compatible mode, but could be wrong about that. M$ have removed even that possibility under 7 as I understand it.