PDA

View Full Version : Okay, lets have your view

ZL2BMH
11-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Hello Everyone.

Because of the terrible media COD received, there's absolutely no way I'll waste my precious pension money on it, So, where do we go from here? I really 'love' IL2 Stormovik 1946 and now would very much like to get a replacement. I realise everyone is different otherwise we would all be driving the same car, but in your opinion ( I think my spec's are in my sig) what is the next best cab off the rank?.
Regards, zl2bmh.

nvrsummer2
11-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Theres plenty of people who are really enjoying COD.

Your rig seems decent enough to give it a go. Dont write it off because a considerable few have. You're still helping the developer...

WTE_Galway
11-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Give up WWII flight sims and play the other CoD ... Call of Duty MWF3 ???

Any attempt to offer what CoD does with current tech would suffer almost identical teething problems.

This used to be accepted in flight sims (IL2 was a monster to get running 10 years ago) but now the market is full of tantrum throwing children expecting X-Box style generic game compatibility. The result of the tantrums will not be better Flight Sims, the result will be no flight sims.

RoF has a following but is not WWII and is tiny in comparison to IL2. However if you are not obsessed with WWII download RoF, its initially free you just pay for addon planes.

Tully__
11-09-2011, 09:16 PM
There's little in the way of bugs or (given adequate hardware) performance issues to complain of in CoD now. I'm getting quite adequate performance with i7 950 @ 3.07GHz, 6GB DDR3, GTX460 1GB

FishCookie
11-09-2011, 09:20 PM
There is DCS A10C if you like jets, Rise of Flight for WWI crates. For WWII there is only 1946 and CloD at the moment, wait another 4 months and Clod should be patched up to standard.
As said before the original IL2 was very demanding when it was released, many forget this as so much of the fan base have only been playing for the last few years. Try running 1946 on an Athlon XP1500, 256Mb SDRAM and a Geforce 4600Ti to appreciate how technology has developed to handle the original engine. In ten years from now we'll be able to buzz around London at 60FPS no problem http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Newflyer
11-09-2011, 09:37 PM
COD is fun for awhile but it gets boring fast. Unless your really into pick up and play style games that will give you a quick fix from gunning down people with no recoil guns then you wont be pleased with it. The single player isn't very good either. I'm not bashing it or anything, I understand why people find it fun. It is fun, but I can also understand the people who dislike cod.

WTE_Galway
11-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Newflyer:
COD is fun for awhile but it gets boring fast. Unless your really into pick up and play style games that will give you a quick fix from gunning down people with no recoil guns then you wont be pleased with it. The single player isn't very good either. I'm not bashing it or anything, I understand why people find it fun. It is fun, but I can also understand the people who dislike cod.

I presume we are talking Call of Duty here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I notice that disgruntled Call of Duty fans seem a touch more violent then Cliffs of Dover ones ...

http://www.news.com.au/breakin...frfkui-1226191525850 (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/world/call-of-duty-fan-robs-fellow-gamer-at-gunpoint/story-e6frfkui-1226191525850)

" Meanwhile, a Colorado man threatened modern warfare of his own after his pre-ordered copy of the game wasn't available.

Police said Lomorin Sar, 31, threatened to shoot employees of a Best Buy store in Aurora, Colorado, and blow up the premises because they didn't have his copy of the game, the Aurora Sentinel reported. "

Tully__
11-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by FishCookie:
... Try running 1946 on an Athlon XP1500, 256Mb SDRAM and a Geforce 4600Ti...
How about Forgotten Battles on a PIII 500MHz with 128MB RAM and a GF2mx...average 15fps on that setup, max about 21fps and min in the low single figures. I still played it though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ElAurens
11-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Frankly, after flying Cliffs of Dover of a while now, I cannot go back to IL2/46, and heaven knows I've tried.

It just looks, and feels like the ten+ year old sim it is. IL/46 is like looking at a comic book now. I don't care how many mods you throw at it.

There is no turning back.

Bo_Nidle
11-11-2011, 06:39 PM
I'm the first to admit that I was probably one of the most vocal and ferocious critics of CloD when it was released, I still am. But, and after my initial raging anger at the state of the sim on release it's a big BUT, I'm big enough to admit that it is now starting to take proper shape following the latest patch.

Don't get me wrong, it is still faaaarr from a completed article but it is dragging itself forwards and is at least playable now.

The frame rates are now reasonable, the terrain and lighting is much improved, the sound (one of the things that was appalling on initial release) is light years beyond what it was.

There is still a long road ahead though. The AI leaves a lot to be desired, communication is none existent, FM needs work in a lot of areas.

But, even with all those problems, it is now, thanks to the latest patch, showing real potential.

So much so that I've wheeled my first Spitfire into the paint-shop.

I just hope the developers do not abandon CloD, especially as I want that Korean war add-on!.

VW-IceFire
11-12-2011, 06:46 AM
I still think if you point out the history of the series that the hoped for future of CloD is a great one. IL-2 Sturmovik came out and it had some serious bugs, only a handful of planes (it was really just meant to simulate the IL-2 after all) and performance was poor on all but the most powerful computers of the time. Fast forward 10 years and it's the defacto standard for WWII air combat simulations.

It didn't take 10 years to get there either... but IL-2 did go through three major expansions including Forgotten Battles, Ace Expansion Pack and Pacific Fighters. IL-2 1946 was just icing on the cake. I feel like after Forgotten Battles it began to become a fully fledged product with enough aircraft and diversity to maintain a lot of interest.

Maddox Games does need to make sure that Battle for Moscow and Korea and whatever else follows after that are solid experiences. I'd like to see some really pointed expansions to the original product that give us the same globe trotting full war experience that we have now. It'll take a while and maybe not as much breadth will be captured... but that is the goal in my mind.

Monty_Thrud
11-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Tully__:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FishCookie:
... Try running 1946 on an Athlon XP1500, 256Mb SDRAM and a Geforce 4600Ti...
How about Forgotten Battles on a PIII 500MHz with 128MB RAM and a GF2mx...average 15fps on that setup, max about 21fps and min in the low single figures. I still played it though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You were lucky!...

I remember using a CPU less powerful than a toaster...onboard GPU AND!...sound...

MEMORY!! what ukin memory...6fps if we were lucky!

EJGrOst_Caspar
11-13-2011, 11:58 PM
I was playing Il-2 on a P3 800Mhz and a Geforce 440 MX, 128MB RAM. It was still looking better than Warbirds 2.77. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Now, I tried to play CoD on my recent rig, but its NOT looking better than IL-2 with the necessary tweak downs. I can get ~15FPS at lowest settings at best. There is no chance, that I give it a try again before two or three years more have passed.
I will not be able to buy a new PC before then anyway.
No highly detailed, clickable cockpit can make me reverse.

I'm quite dissapointed, that 1CMaddox creates such a blown up product. There is no comparism with the initial IL-2.

For the same reason I skipped MSFS X!

Gaming for the rich! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif