PDA

View Full Version : Ian - a one-off question

XyZspineZyX
10-09-2003, 10:49 AM
Can you please, please assure me that we'll hear accurate merlin engines sounds in BoB? At least in CFS2 & 3 I could add in genuine recordings from Mike Hambly and the like.

It drives me bananas in FB listening to that totally non-merlin engine.

If you say yes, I shan't bore everyone in all the other threads/sites pleading for the same information . . . honestly . . . no, really . . .

XyZspineZyX
10-09-2003, 10:49 AM
Can you please, please assure me that we'll hear accurate merlin engines sounds in BoB? At least in CFS2 & 3 I could add in genuine recordings from Mike Hambly and the like.

It drives me bananas in FB listening to that totally non-merlin engine.

If you say yes, I shan't bore everyone in all the other threads/sites pleading for the same information . . . honestly . . . no, really . . .

XyZspineZyX
10-09-2003, 12:07 PM
We are in the process of arranging in cockpit sounds from various planes. May be different to what ppl hear from outside of course but they should be good.

XyZspineZyX
10-09-2003, 12:25 PM
Given the new sound engine being employed, does that mean genuine recordings will be adapted for in-cockpit, external and flyby?

XyZspineZyX
10-09-2003, 10:16 PM
I found mike-hambly's sound a little too digitized. I think he enchances his sounds always a bit to make it more attractive or something.

But anyways, there are great sound files to download and substitute the horrendous default Cessna sounds in the CFS series.

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye
shall be judged: and with what
measure ye mete, it shall be
measured to you again.

http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/templates/subSilver/images/logo_phpBB.gif (http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/index.php)

XyZspineZyX
10-10-2003, 04:33 AM
I'll be happy not to hear other engines behind me over 500- 1k away.

<center>http://mywebpage.netscape.com/nyngje/charvel.JPG

XyZspineZyX
10-10-2003, 11:31 AM
I tried a 8 watt case fan with 55dB and it made a great engine. But it was waaaay too loud for anything but playing FB. But it did reduce the case and CPU temps by a good 10 degrees F. They say Nvida cards are good for engines too. Otherwise just turn the sound off, I must have saved a million fps by now since I got FB. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-10-2003, 10:10 PM
I totally agree with choxaway.

Both Merlins and Allisons sound so fantasic during flybys. Genuine external sounds for these in IL-2 FB, rather than the current "Briggs and Stratton lawnmower doing 400kph" sound, would please a lot of people.

Ian, I suspect most people will be surprised and maybe disappointed with real in-cockpit sounds for Merlin and Allison power aircraft. I've ridden in both in a Mustang and a Warhawk- they both sound like you're riding inside a stone crusher that's about to fail!!

In the book "Barracuda Pilot" Dunstan Hadley writes of his first flight in a Hurricane, "I strapped myself in and started the engine. The Merlin is one of the sweetest sounding engines. Heard from inside the cockpit I wondered if it was all right. the noise resembled a concrete mixer which had bee filled with old nuts and bolts."

However I'm all for accuracy- so if the in-cockpit sound are real that's great. I just hope Oleg and his team can provide us with accurate external sounds as well as getting the in-cockpit right.

Then there's the forthcoming Tempest and it's Sabre engine...!!!!