PDA

View Full Version : I ran out of fuel, so what?

Mik1984
08-28-2005, 10:06 AM
Although I ran out of fuel, my diesels functioned perfectly until I reached the base. Is the fuel actually infinite?

Kaleun1961
08-28-2005, 11:16 AM
You most likely have unlimited fuel enabled in your realism settngs. I once ran out of fuel with the setting on for limited fuel, and my diesels definitely thudded to a halt.

Mik1984
08-28-2005, 11:23 AM
Nope, I play on 100% realism settings. Is this a bug?

I have v1.4b

vlieg1982
08-28-2005, 11:40 AM
A think he talk about as you run out of fuel, you dive run on battery then you surface en you can run normally

Hocking
08-28-2005, 11:47 AM
I don't know about the "dive and then run again" bug. But I can tell you that I once ran out of fuel in a Type II-A, and I definitely came to a screaching halt.

Michiel_88
08-28-2005, 12:46 PM
If you play with unlimited fuel on, your fuel level remains 100%

Maj_Solo
08-29-2005, 05:07 AM
When they report out of fuel the boat will continue for a quite respectable distance. Eventually your boat will truly run out of fuel and stop. If it still doesn't run out of fuel and goes on forever then I think it is a bug caus my boat always run out of fuel.

And this is because I always ask my navigator how far I can go with current fuel and speed and so when going home I always squeeze the last drop out of the boat, and I know my navigator is always right, right down to the last kilometer. Not seldome my boat stops in view of the harbor so I escape and end the mission there cause I can go in on electric motors if I wanted to.

Hoatee
08-29-2005, 05:51 AM
On my second patrol in a type IIA, the boat ran out of fuel just off Norway - quite some distance from base. Click on exit and to my surprise I had returned to base (must have drifted back to base 'on course' - and a patient navigator).

Maj_Solo
08-29-2005, 06:37 AM
ok ok ok I see now .... hitting the ESC return to base is just that ... an Escape ... use it if you want to , has nothing to do with simulating the U-boat, it is a software escape kindly provided by the developers ..

Mik1984
08-29-2005, 07:24 AM
Well, when your're really near a base, then such solution is relatively acceptable.

FlyingDutch1966
08-29-2005, 09:09 AM
Anyone thought of refueling on-time?
I looked up this option, and some experienced players already said you can refuel in other ports (probably friens/allies).
Today a refueled in Trondsheim (may 1940 allie) and got fresh torpedos too! and the crue is fresh.
With esc you dock in base and you will start a new assignment telling you to end up in your homeport (Willemshaven for me). The points you've scored are already add up.

Is the distance left over when you ask for it really accurate?
In my first IIa sub he replied differently in 2min. time ( +/- 200km difference) in good weather. So I went home on time and got fuel left (and torps).

Maj_Solo
08-29-2005, 10:35 AM
I set time acceleration to 4 or 8 so that the boat speed quickly settles to the new speed before the navigator calculates. Then I plot course and then time accelerate and look at the numbers at end point ask him what he thinks and then increase speed one step or slow down one step and ask again. When pretty good I change to the speed meter instead of the telegraph and order them to keep a specific knot number. Also, don't ask him what he thinks while the boat is recharging batteries or compressing air cause then the navigator will be really pessimistic.

The_Silent_O
08-30-2005, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Mik1984:
Although I ran out of fuel, my diesels functioned perfectly until I reached the base. Is the fuel actually infinite?

I can attest that I also have run into this...my fuel ran out in the carribean and I was still able to proceed using my diesels way after I met 0 fuel...

I know I use real fuel usage on settings

twitch2395
08-30-2005, 11:23 PM
On time i was hit with a few depth changes which destroyed my engines an i sunk(in about 40ft of water) and i pressed escape and then RETURN TO BASE and i magically appeared in my office.