PDA

View Full Version : IL2 & Linux

CARBONFREEZE
12-20-2005, 07:09 AM
So I gave an old gaming machine to a friend of mine, and decided to dump Fedora Core 4 (a Redhat flavor of Linux) on it. He wanted to be able to play IL2 from within Linux without having to boot into windows. I got him setup using the plain old winehq fc4 rpm (0.9.2) with winetools for windows application dependencies. All tests run with 4.02m

Hardware:
XP 3200
Asus A7n8x-e dlx
1024 ddr 400
Asus v9650? (geforce 5, 128mb, AGP)
SB Audigy ZS 2
MS Precision 2 Pro

Installed OS, drivers (including Nvidia kernel module), and updates via yum (with livna repo). Machine setup with 2048mb swap partition, but the game does not seem to swap often unless loaded down with more than 300+ objects in the mission. Installed wine 0.9.2 from winehq.org. At first I attempted to compile from WineX (Cedega) CVS, but even after resolving the compilation deps I still had issues compiling WineX, so I left it for another day- I will play with it when I decide to start flying IL2 again. Installed winetools with the xdialog dep for fc4 from dags repo. After installing winetools, I ran wt as the user and began retrieving the windows app dependancies from several servers (base setup, system apps, and true type fonts in winetools). After ~20 "simulated" windows reboots (ah windows reboots so fast in linux - be sure) all app deps were installed. Next I copied over his il2 install from winblows, but before I ran il2setup I went and downloaded hyperlobby. Installed HL with no issues. If you try to run HL with an incorrectly configured wine setup, you will run into issues loading HL. I have found that simply using winetools in conjunction with wine (use winetools to make your initial config file, instead of using winecfg) and downloading all of the windows app software dependancies (base install and system progs in wt) will give you the least trouble. Hyperlobby did have some rendering issues, and graphics corruption, but it was possible to use all functions correctly if you moved the HL window around every time you changed something in HL.

To get IL2 to run, you will have to enter winecfg and change the OS from 98 to 2000, otherwise your going to run into lots of JVM issues (I had this problem about 2 yrs ago when initially getting il2 to run in wine with limited success). After that, as long as your graphics card is setup properly, il2 will run, and look great. Loading times are about the same as windows, and sound works right off. With the most recent Linux NVIDIA graphics drivers, there were no issues with corruption and whatnot in il2. You do want to run the game fullscreen, though, otherwise your going to have issues with mouse lag (might be able to resolve this by disabling double buffering in winecfg, but I have not tried it yet). Joystick and key setup can cause problems with il2 if your running wine, but this shouldn't be a problem if your running "Cedega" with point to play or winex from cvs. HL was able to launch il2 and I was able to successfully join a multiplayer session. Stutters related to aircraft spawning were greatly reduced from windows, this machine would average 1 second per spawn in windows and only have a microstutter or very short duration pause in linux. Blackdeath (1024x768, gf4 defaults in il2setup, low landscape/lighting, excellent obj detail and lighting) averaged 45 and had only microstutters with wine, in windows we were getting 1 second pauses when the la5 rams the fw190 and other places. In the go229 vs b17 track, there were no pauses, and no microstutters or frame rate drops more than 3fps when mk103 shells were hitting targets - in windows there would normally be about a 15fps loss.

Overall I was impressed with the graphics quality and very smoothe gameplay, even online. I can't wait to get this setup with my p4dee box and see how the game performs. I might even buy cedega if I get worked up enough about it.

Edit: for typo

Stoyanov
12-20-2005, 08:03 AM
Great news!!!!!!!!
I've got 1 question, how did u managed to run the HL, because mine freezes on the loading screen..../using wine/

P.S.sry I saw that u explained how to fix this issue.. OMG Im so happy Il-2 is the only reason that i keep win at home...
Any Ideas about TrackIR use?

rnzoli
12-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Congratulations, I am amazed....

CARBONFREEZE
12-20-2005, 02:10 PM
Any Ideas about TrackIR use?

I'm not sure. I don't have one, because I use the microstick on my Cougar as the mouse. As long as it is detected by the linux kernel we should be able to use it via wine at some point in the future - but if Naturalpoint hasn't written a driver for it or released the hardware info to a *nix developer interested in persuing this then we may be out of luck.

CARBONFREEZE
12-20-2005, 02:16 PM
AHA!

Lots of info on TiR via linux. Just did a quick google and found this:

http://www.thewretched.org/trackir.html

verbatim:
"Here's a driver I've been writing in my spare time for the TrackIR device for Linux. Right now it is a very usable character device. There are some things that still need to be done, however:

* non-blocking reads
* multiple TrackIR devices
* ioctl for sending commands to the camera
* general organization of the code, right now it's all one file

Any help with the first two items would be appreciated as there aren't any USB drivers that I can find that support non-blocking reads and I'm clueless as to how to support multiple devices in one driver without the use of lots of minor numbers. The second two items should be done in a couple of days.

These patches are against the 2.4.3 kernel, you have to provide the trackir_firmware.h file yourself, because I haven't gotten permission from Eye Control Technologies to include it with the patch. Just download the firmware here. Then use the ezusb_convert.pl script in the drivers/usb/serial directory of the kernel source to turn it into the header file. Example command usage:

gerudo:serial$ ./ezusb_convert.pl trackir_firmware < TrackIR_revC_noswitch.hex > trackir_firmware.h"

Also see:
http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?u...t_topic;f=5;t=000142 (http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000142)

Atleast someone is working on a kernel module. I don't have much experience messing around with that stuff, I just install them and go =)

Need to find a developer willing to assist this guy in that project, or takeover.

HellToupee
12-20-2005, 07:45 PM
I got il2 working in wine 0.9.3 but with sound using the hardware mode its delayed and using emulated its not delayed but is choppy and crackly. Hatswitch is recognised as an axis so cant seem to map it to view keys.

ElAurens
12-20-2005, 08:35 PM
On an XP Pro machine:

Install FB

Install AEP

Install PF

Install correct patches in order.

Play the game.

Way too easy.

CARBONFREEZE
12-20-2005, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by HellToupee:
I got il2 working in wine 0.9.3 but with sound using the hardware mode its delayed and using emulated its not delayed but is choppy and crackly. Hatswitch is recognised as an axis so cant seem to map it to view keys.

I haven't had any issues with Audigy 2zs. Sound quality is great, works with surround as well.

Do you have onboard sound? This could be causing some of your problems, or incomplete driver support in linux.

rnzoli
12-21-2005, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by ElAurens:
On an XP Pro machine:

Install FB

Install AEP

Install PF

Play the game.

Way too easy.

Agreed. That's why the list can be expanded with this:

"Learn nothing."

ElAurens
12-21-2005, 05:27 AM
Guys, I understand that computers are abviously your hobby and you enjoy "making it work".

Just don't expect linux to ever be a mainstream system alternative to windows. Won't happen because most users just want to turn the thing on and use it, that's all.

Cheers.

Zayets
12-21-2005, 06:27 AM
I would like to know if somebody managed to make the dedicated server to work under linux. Because I have a Slackware machine online all the time and it's a pitty I can't host IL2 games. Or maybe Oleg will help us by making the dedicated server linux compatible. Sort of fat binary or a big install with all libraries, no deps at all.

rnzoli
12-21-2005, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Zayets:
I would like to know if somebody managed to make the dedicated server to work under linux. Because I have a Slackware machine online all the time and it's a pitty I can't host IL2 games. Or maybe Oleg will help us by making the dedicated server linux compatible. Sort of fat binary or a big install with all libraries, no deps at all.

Have you tried this already? I would consider that a dedicated server is even more easy to set up, since there are no graphics, no sound, no input devices to care about.

Aaron_GT
12-21-2005, 01:22 PM
Just don't expect linux to ever be a mainstream system alternative to windows. Won't happen because most users just want to turn the thing on and use it, that's all.

If you want to turn something on and just use it you want a one-purpose device (e.g. a console, or a set top box for email, or a mobile phone) not a PC running Windows, Linux, or anything else. Under the hood the device might be running one of these of course, the Tivo being an example of an easy-to-use single-purpose device which runs Linux.

For the best of the Linux distributions the ease of use is pretty much the same as with Windows (my mother was happy with Linux for home use but opted for Windows purely because some programs she wanted to run were Windows based). Linspire, Xandros, and Ubuntu work pretty well for beginners.

Windows requires quite a bit of know-how to work with too, it is just that most people are used to how it works. Driver support from vendors is still better for Windows in general, but that's more to do with hardware manufacturers than anything else. (That having been said I have had incidences of Linux supporting hardware better than Windows). What Linux really lacks for general use is a good, legal DVD player, but Turbolinux is producing a commercial one. For gaming use it needs more native support as Cedega/WineX is a workaround and Microsoft can change the APIs and break it.

In the future Linux may well become more prevalent given the support of the Chinese and Brazillian governments for it. These are huge emerging markets.

CARBONFREEZE
12-21-2005, 05:28 PM
I have not attempted to run the dedicated server via wine, but if IL2 will run I see no reason why the dedicated server could not also be run via wine.

HellToupee
12-22-2005, 12:15 AM
On an XP Pro machine:

Install FB

Install AEP

Install PF

Play the game.

Way too easy.

Thats about the same process in linux using wine, i can double click the pretty icons to and have it just run weeeeee

NerdConnected
12-23-2005, 02:04 PM
CARBONFREEZE,

Very interesting to see it runs on Linux ;-)

If it really run's stable and fast on Linux, I'm willing to throw out xp since Il2 is the only thing I really use with Windows.

I tried it myself on a AMD 64 3200, FC3 64 and Radeon9700Pro but got a big hotspot java error and il2 (4.02m) would not start at all.

How did you get it to run without the hotspot Java error?

Mark

CARBONFREEZE
12-23-2005, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by NerdConnected:
CARBONFREEZE,

Very interesting to see it runs on Linux ;-)

If it really run's stable and fast on Linux, I'm willing to throw out xp since Il2 is the only thing I really use with Windows.

I tried it myself on a AMD 64 3200, FC3 64 and Radeon9700Pro but got a big hotspot java error and il2 (4.02m) would not start at all.

How did you get it to run without the hotspot Java error?

Mark

Change OS to Win 2000 in winecfg.

NerdConnected
12-24-2005, 04:16 AM
Did try to run it with w2k settings, but still hotspot java error ;-(

Mark

CARBONFREEZE
12-24-2005, 03:15 PM
Did you install all windows deps from within winetools?

Might also try installing JRE for windows (java.com).

CARBONFREEZE
12-24-2005, 05:56 PM
HL still has some rendering issues under wine. I attempted to disable double buffering & color depth via winecfg with no results. Once HL is running for about 5 minutes, some of the graphics corruption goes away. Switching between the player list and pager still causes problems until you click on one of the functions of each section (such as scrolling the player list, or clicking the previous/next message buttons in pager).

http://www.pbase.com/carbonfreeze/image/53924799.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/carbonfreeze/image/53924800.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/carbonfreeze/image/53924801.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/carbonfreeze/image/53924802.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/carbonfreeze/image/53924803.jpg

I am going to try importing the native .dll files that HL uses and see if that helps reduce this problem.

CARBONFREEZE
12-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I have now setup IL2 & HL to run via WINE for a couple other friends of mine that were running Fedora Core 4. One thing that I noticed is that installing internet explorer would fail if the installation of fedora was not up to date on an SMP kernel based installation. On athlon/i686 (non SMP kernel) ie install would run fine. However if your using an SMP kernel you will either need to run yum update or boot the i686 kernel within GRUB to install ie6 & other windows application deps. Running WINE under a non-smp kernel may also resolve some of the issues with JRE people have been having, but I have not tested this since setting the OS to Win2000 in winecfg always resolves this issue for me.

Edit: Typo & added JRE note.

NerdConnected
12-25-2005, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by CARBONFREEZE:
Did you install all windows deps from within winetools?

Might also try installing JRE for windows (java.com).

I used cedega 5.0.3 and it has all the dependencies installed (I guess). Did not install il2, but copied it from my XP partition to the Transgaming drive.

I will try to install the latest windows jre app. in cedega. Maybe this will work ;-) If it does'nt, I'll try the latest wine version.

Mark

CARBONFREEZE
03-02-2006, 12:12 PM
After setting up Cedega and running IL2, I ran into the same issue. I was getting Java runtime errors, and the game was closing on launch. I resolved this by modifying the il2 conf.ini and adding the "comment" character ; infront of ProcessAffinityMask under [rts]

change your conf.ini to look like this:
<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">[rts]
;ProcessAffinityMask=0</pre>

Now Il2 runs fine under wine and cedega on an smp kernel. You have to make sure il2 only attempts to spawn one thread, though. Otherwise, wine is unable to handle the second spawned thread, and causes il2 to exit with that error.

NerdConnected
03-02-2006, 01:48 PM
CARBONFREEZE,

Thanks, will give it another try. If it does work, I'll let you know.

How's Cedega btw? Better than Wine?

Mark

BillPosters
03-02-2006, 06:44 PM
On an XP Pro machine:

Install FB

Install AEP

Install PF

Play the game.

Way too easy.

A much fairer comparison would show the steps for installing and running a native Linux binary on Windows. The fact that it is this easy to install such a complicated application compiled for a totally different platform shows the power and versatility of the operating system.

For the most part installing software on the more user friendly distributions is a piece of cake.
Open the package manager, choose the app and click install.
No worries about malware/viruses, compatibility or ridiculous license restrictions either.

On topic:
This is certainly welcome news. Like others, the only reason I keep a windows partition is for gaming and the less I have to boot to it the better.

Tachyon1000
03-02-2006, 09:42 PM
So let me get this straight, IL2 is arguably running better under Linux than under Windows eventhough Linux is having to emulate a Windows environment?? Imagine if IL2 was built for Linux!!

JunkoIfurita
03-03-2006, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by Tachyon1000:
So let me get this straight, IL2 is arguably running better under Linux than under Windows eventhough Linux is having to emulate a Windows environment?? Imagine if IL2 was built for Linux!!

Hi Tachyon1000 - strangely enough, this is almost ALWAYS the case.

Most linux distros don't run anywhere NEAR the amount of background tasks and services that the average windows machine does. So, there's usually a nice extra chunk of system resources to allocate to the game.

The performance of games running under Linux WITHOUT emulation - such as Doom 3, Quake 4, Neverwinter Nights and Unreal Tournament 2004 is even better again!

I'm glad that IL-2 is finally running happily under wine...I've been trying on and off for quite a while - I'd never considered that the '2000' OS bucket over the '98' bucket actually made a difference http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Stupid of me.

249th_Harrier
03-03-2006, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by JunkoIfurita:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tachyon1000:

Most linux distros don't run anywhere NEAR the amount of background tasks and services that the average windows machine does. So, there's usually a nice extra chunk of system resources to allocate to the game.

The performance of games running under Linux WITHOUT emulation - such as Doom 3, Quake 4, Neverwinter Nights and Unreal Tournament 2004 is even better again!

I'm glad that IL-2 is finally running happily under wine...I've been trying on and off for quite a while - I'd never considered that the '2000' OS bucket over the '98' bucket actually made a difference http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Stupid of me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WinXP can be optimized for games, I have seen a pdf file floating around that describes how to do it. On a per clock cycle basis, no way emulation beats native. If you build a custom box that is completely tuned for one job, it will run faster, no surprise there.

F6_Ace
03-03-2006, 06:26 AM
Guys, I understand that computers are abviously your hobby and you enjoy "making it work".

Cheers.

See Ubuntu. Also see UN programme of giving $100 Linux-based laptop to every child in developing world.

BillPosters
03-03-2006, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by 249th_Harrier:
WinXP can be optimized for games, I have seen a pdf file floating around that describes how to do it. On a per clock cycle basis, no way emulation beats native. If you build a custom box that is completely tuned for one job, it will run faster, no surprise there.

Wine Is Not an Emulator. WINE is an implemetation of microsoft windows APIs for Linux. No emulation, just different libraries doing the same jobs but better.

Matz0r
03-03-2006, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by JunkoIfurita:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tachyon1000:

I'm glad that IL-2 is finally running happily under wine...I've been trying on and off for quite a while - I'd never considered that the '2000' OS bucket over the '98' bucket actually made a difference http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Stupid of me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wine is not an emulator (actually what W.I.N.E stands for), it provides an application environment (system libraries etc) similar to Windows for Linux. So the application actually runs natively, no emulation required.

Hope thats clear now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

OldMan____
03-03-2006, 09:07 AM
Great to know that! Does anyone can say anything about the jouystick usage? Things like the programming tools for them ( I use saitek stick and a logiteck rudder pedal).

I could use some weekends to add support for this type of configuration on linux drivers myself.. but that would be a hell lot of work.

CARBONFREEZE
03-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Re: Old Man

Sofar I have not been impressed with Cedega. Il2 & Hyperlobby with WINE was easier to get working out of the box (as long as you used winetools to retrieve all of the windows related libraries). It took me an additional week to sort out the conf.ini issue with cedega, with the same conf.ini wine would run just fine on SMP kernel. Cedega is able to run SimCity 4, Morrowind, and GTR better than WINE, though there are some issues with GTR and Morrowind crashes due to D3D usage instead of OGL.

In WINE:

The only major issue I have now is setting joystick controls ingame. I can set keyboard keys, but the joystick axis mappings aren't getting recognized by IL2 (it does not even see my joysticks in the hardware setup ingame). My CH Fighterstick is working in FC4 and I can see the axis via jstest. Another issue is the hat switch. In linux, the hat switch is setup as an axis, instead of a button. I am sure its possible to re-map the hat switch to buttons instead of an axis, but I don't have time to play with that right now.

If we could modify a config file for the different controls this would be awesome, but in IL2 it seems to be stored in an obscure location (not registry) that I have not been able to locate yet. I could probably try moving the stdout of ls -aR FB folder to a file, then modifying the keymappings and running diff on the stdout of the before and after results of ls -aR to see what file was modified. I will do this the next time I get the chance to play with my gaming box.

In CEDEGA:

I have not attempted to setup my joystick maps yet in the "Point 2 Play" system because I didn't have enough time to do so. It will probably work, though. Performance in game seems to be about the same as WINE when running via the OpenGL display system.

Overall when testing ingame the biggest difference between windows and linux+wine has been the lack of micro-stutters when large amounts of AI spawn in a mission. I am currently running the game on a 3.2@3.4 p4d-ee with 4gb of ddr2-800, GF6600GT and 4x120gb SATA Maxtor in RAID 0+1. I have a mission I built to test the performance differences of the ProcessAffinityMask setting in conf.ini (which determines which CPUs get the il2 threads spawned on them) which has about 500 aircraft flying over Leningrad. 5 minutes into the track, an additional 100 aircraft spawn which are different from the others in the mission to stress the HDD and CPU out. Pauses from the spawn are horrible in windows, sometimes lasting up to 10 seconds. In linux with WINE, the pauses usually only last 2-5 seconds depending on if I have run the track after scrubbing the swap/RAM cache before running it (so the game has to reload everything from the RAID).

After I get my controls working I will try moving the FB folder to a ramdisk and see how it performs versus the RAID in linux.

CARBONFREEZE
03-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Another couple of issues I have noticed:

In FC4 with my SB Audigy, I have only been able to have my audio card in use by one program at a time. An issue I have run into is attempting to playback audio from more than one application. This was not an issue in SuSe 9.2pro when I was using it. What I am thinking is that if I run TS/Ventrilo and IL2 at the same time, the audio card will be owned by the first process started, and the second program started (il2 in this case) would not be able to use the card until TS/Ventrilo is closed or stops using the card.

One way around this is the wineserver may have ownership of the card, and then all wine related threads may be able to output to the card.

If anyone has a solution to this let me know.

JunkoIfurita
03-04-2006, 02:53 AM
Another couple of issues I have noticed:

In FC4 with my SB Audigy, I have only been able to have my audio card in use by one program at a time. An issue I have run into is attempting to playback audio from more than one application. This was not an issue in SuSe 9.2pro when I was using it. What I am thinking is that if I run TS/Ventrilo and IL2 at the same time, the audio card will be owned by the first process started, and the second program started (il2 in this case) would not be able to use the card until TS/Ventrilo is closed or stops using the card.

One way around this is the wineserver may have ownership of the card, and then all wine related threads may be able to output to the card.

If anyone has a solution to this let me know.

Hi Carbonfreeze,

It may be an unorthodox solution, but you might want to look into JACK (Jack Audio Connection Kit).

This is technically for use with audio production - letting various pieces of software route to a single piece of hardware (like Propellorheads Rewire).

However, I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work for a game/ventrilo setup as well. If Wine and the apps allow you to select a driver mode, you should be able to select JACK instead of Alsa or OSS.

You have to run the Jackd server, which is best started by a neat little gui app called qjackctl.

You also might have to install the real-time kernel patches...which could be a bit tricky. Since I use my Linux distro for audio production as well, I use the Planet CCRMA pre-compiled Fedora Core 4 kernels for this purpose. Nice and simple.

Worth a shot http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

OldMan____
03-04-2006, 07:01 AM
Well I havn´t tried to us WINE for some years (in past I had no success worth the time). But I will give another try.

We should maybe createa group interested on making PF (and associated stuff) run well on linux?

Any desire on talk about that my e-mail is tiago@thunder-works.com

I am also trying to be sure that Jet Thunder will run on linux.. somehow.. someday.

CARBONFREEZE
03-04-2006, 08:45 PM
I have put together a quick website with some instructions for HL/IL2

http://www.freewebs.com/carbonfreeze/wine/wine.html

Ugly_Kid
03-05-2006, 12:37 AM
Thanks a lot - I will give it a try once I reboot to linux next time.

I tried it earlier with Cedega but had no luck - even lobby was a pain.

Do you think the distribution matters - I am currently using Mandriva? I remember reading about a guy who got it running here using some other distro - arch or something IRC.

BTW isn't wine missing the directx support or something? That's why there is cedega? I always figured cedega being almost compulsory for this stuff...

CARBONFREEZE
03-05-2006, 04:38 AM
Re: Ugly_Kid

I have used IL2 with Cedega, and it was even more difficult to get working than normal WINE (more hotspot jm errors). I just updated WINE to 0.9.9 and the rendering issues in HyperLobby were greatly reduced. After about 15 minutes of HL being active, I have no more texture corruption within the HL window when changing to pager/connection menu.

One of the reasons you have to "pay" for Cedega is for the DirectX and copy protection support. I have tried compiling WineX (Cedega source, without copy protection functions) but I could never get it to compile right.

I don't have time to play around with Cedega (Point2Play) on my gaming box to see if I can map my joystick(s). If you have any progress in this area let me know.

At the moment I use Redhat fedora core 4, but I have used SuSe 9.2/9.3/10 in the past, along with OpenBSD and FreeBSD. I found SuSe to be slow and bloated compared to Redhat, but I liked the YAST config tool that SuSe had. Most of the Redhat GUI admin stuff is through poorly designed apps, and I prefer playing with the config files usually, or finding a 3rd party GUI if I modify the config often enough.

Edit: Typo.

CARBONFREEZE
05-06-2006, 09:50 PM
To map joystick axis and buttons you will need to create a symbolic link to your joystick under /dev.

Example:

ln -s /dev/input/js0 /dev/js0

And so on for rudder & other controllers.

See:

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?versionId=2466

and for dedicated server:

http://www.sturmovik.de/wiki/index.php?title=Linux_Dedicated_Server

Goto your il2 dedicated server directory and type the following to run:

wineconsole il2server.exe

Ugly_Kid
09-29-2006, 07:39 AM
I finally got mine running under wine. Version 0.9.20 is fine the 0.9.21 has a regression it seems.

By linking joysticks from /dev/input/js* to /dev/js* I got at least one stick to run - only two axis up to now.

I read from somewhere that one would need to add DirectInput in Registry tree and generate joystick nodes for it. Haven't had time to go deeper into this.

Meanwhile I am trying to get lobby to run as well. Obviously some people have been succesful on this as well as it can be read on lobby forum - I still haven't got to the point. Only install up to now :/

F6_Ace
09-29-2006, 09:00 AM
Thanks for that info, Carbon - I'll try it as getting my "unsupported" MSFFB2 working fully (all buttons, all axes) has been problematic.

Il-2 works fine under Ubuntu Linux with Wine (I tried 0.9.18 onwards) apart from the odd pause caused (presumably) by the sound subsystem when there is a lot going on.

F6_Ace
10-01-2006, 02:40 AM
On a similar note, has anyone tried to get Il-2 running on ReactOS?

I know it's still early days for it and that the last time I tried it, it didn't work very well (one of the release candidates) but what is the perception on how ReactOS might turn out with respect to gaming?

For me, it's possibly an ideal solution particularly if it takes up less resource than Windows.

Aaron_GT
02-04-2007, 06:43 AM
I suppose I'll bump this thread..

On Ubuntu 6.10, ATI 9800 Pro, latest stable wine, IL2 46 installs, il2setup.exe runs (although doesn't allow me to select the native resolution of the screen for full screen operation). wine il2fb.exe just returns to the console, no error messages, no startup, etc.

Ugly_Kid
02-04-2007, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Aaron_GT:
I suppose I'll bump this thread..

On Ubuntu 6.10, ATI 9800 Pro, latest stable wine, IL2 46 installs, il2setup.exe runs (although doesn't allow me to select the native resolution of the screen for full screen operation). wine il2fb.exe just returns to the console, no error messages, no startup, etc.

I have mine running with 0.9.30 but I had problems having the joysticks recognized. 0.9.29 is really fine for me. I had an issue with Ubuntu - possibly due to kernel update but I needed to include noexec32=off option to boot line option in kernel. This way it works just fine.

Also - you need to use rts.dll or whatever (I believe 46 has alternative .exe in the net) to bypass cd check.

Hope that this helps...

Aaron_GT
02-04-2007, 07:34 AM
Maybe it's that cd check that's the issue, then...

Ugly_Kid
02-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Aaron_GT:
Maybe it's that cd check that's the issue, then...

If you haven't actively done something to avoid it that is a safe bet.

Codex1971
02-05-2007, 04:16 AM
MODS can we make this a sticky?! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif