PDA

View Full Version : 1944 Tactics

stinkhammer6
07-29-2005, 06:09 AM
Since I upgraded to a snorkel in my 7-b I have noticed that I can avoid all DD and surface contacts that wish to do harm by simply travelling along with the snorkel. I have it raised and at scope depth or a tad more shallow and time compress along my plotted course on 1024x compression. I still get ship info on the map when they appear and when my time goes down suddenly to 8x's, I zoom in and check the speed on the ship direction my sonar man picked up. If its fast, its a DD if its not so fast, its a non threatening ship, follow it, sink it return to course.

I also adjust fuel usage with battery at this depth by merely lowering the snorkel and switching to battery mode. I have yet to get spotted by a plane or come across a DD with the desire to sink me to the bottom. I only surface to bring in my externals or to use my deck gun on a halted wounded ship, other than that, Im at periscope depth all the time and its working out great. This is for those who dont know this, for those who do, why didnt you mention this before???? Good hunting.

Sgt_Starbuck
07-29-2005, 06:16 AM
It may be 1.4 but if I raise my snorkel every plane in the world attacks me...day or night.

Sarge

DiveDevil
07-29-2005, 06:52 AM
I'm creeping into Gibraltar at the moment in '43 with the snorkel and I got to tell you, if you think they won't see that snorkel think again. I've tried several diffrent times to raise my snorkel and I always get spotted by either a Elco a plane or one of several DD in the area and its night and in the middle of a pretty rough storm. I check the external and see that the snorkel produces a wake like a snowplow. The reason no-one has spotted you yet might be because you running at max compression. I never see any air patrols if I'm running at 1024,only if I drop back to 128 or lower. Also a little bit of advice, diesels are pretty loud underwater a lot louder than the electric motors anyway. If a DD is in the area and your snorkeled than theres a good chance they will hear you.
Good Hunting

stinkhammer6
07-29-2005, 10:28 AM
I never get spotted by a DD, the second a contact comes up I track it to see if its a warship or a merchant, Ive chased down some contacts to find its a DD but never get detected. Also if you are near land or a port its generally a good idea to lower your snorkel for reasons you explained. When you see you are low on air or battery power, all you have to do is stop and raise it to get fresh air and charge your batteries. 4 patrols with it and so far Im able to get around with no issues, and I dont even have the snorkel paint yet. Could be me using 1.3 and max compress to get where I want to go like loch ewe (ahead slow takes a long time you know) but when I hunt, I compress to 256 exclusively. Just thought Id share this with others out there and my experiences.

WilhelmSchulz.-
07-29-2005, 09:34 PM
Its called RADAR. Later in the war it can detect the snorkel.

stinkhammer6
07-29-2005, 09:51 PM
I have the anti radar coating for it.

Im just about mid 1944, cant be much later, the game will be over.