PDA

View Full Version : How Far Cry 3 Can Be Improved From Far Cry 2

Shiloh8686
06-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Please note that this is just my opinion. IF you disagree, then you can say so, but please don't troll. If you do agree, then please say so. With that out of the way, I am going to start with things that were good about Far Cry 2, and how they can be improved upon.

Map Editor
The Far Cry 2 map editor was great. However, it was a bit beginner-unfriendly, and you could not snap things to the terrain or to other objects. Ubisoft should add the ability to do this. Another thing that they could add, which would make Far Cry 3 the best game ever made in my view, would be a mission editor. Not just a map editor, but a mission editor, with the ability to add AI and assign them behaviors and the ability to give objectives.

Open World
Far Cry 2 made you feel truly free. However, Ubisoft did not really take advantage of this. There was still a set storyline with main missions and side missions. There was only one way to win the game. Let's say that the setting is similar to Far Cry 2: There is a person that you have to kill, but he is very elusive. Ubisoft could make it so that there are multiple different was to find him: You could rise up through the ranks of a faction until you finally find someone important enough to know his whereabouts, or you could kill everyone even vaguely related to him until finally he has to face you himself, etc. Another thing Ubisoft could do to make choices affect the game more is having choices affect the missions that you take. For example, let's say you are on the mission that was shown at E3. You are entering the camp that has a helicopter and a rocketeer. You may choose to go stealthy and then make a run for the chopper, and in that case there will be a cutscene where you are shot down and taken prisoner, and there will be a mission where you have to escape from the area. However, if you choose to kill everyone in the camp (including the rocketeer) before flying away, you might not be shot down, and will not have to take the escape mission. You could also find an entirely different means of escape than a helicopter.

Now I will name things about Far Cry 2 that were not so good, and how they can be fixed.

Too Open
Far Cry 2 was so open that I often felt that I was driving around with no purpose. Ubisoft should at least add the ability to mark waypoints. They should also add faster, more uninterrupted means of traveling. They could also make everything closer together, make vehicles more easily found, and make things a little bit more linear in general.

Guard Posts
I actually liked the basic idea of guard posts: to add a little bit more combat in between the painstaking driving. However, when I ran into a guard post, I would too often end up getting in a heated combat, and finishing it only to find two patrol cars trying to mow me down. It would end with me having lost most of my syrettes and ammo in a ten-minute battle. I would then have to resupply on ammo and syrettes, and now I've spent 20 minutes with no progress at all. Ubisoft can fix this by making patrol cars at least a quarter less frequent, and much more predictable. They can also make guard posts much easier to avoid or destroy.

Enemy Health
I think we all agree that the enemies are too hard to kill in Far Cry 2. They should at least quarter the enemy health, because it is extremely frustrating an unrealistic.

Stealth
It was too hard to be stealthy in Far Cry 2. Ubisoft should add more silenced guns, and put in the ability to mark enemies on your radar. They should also have scouting positions for every mission.

Too Repetitive
I mean this about everything. The vehicles, the guard posts, the missions, the enemies, the weapons, etc. There should just be more variety, more of everything. This isn't very hard to do.

Customization
There wasn't enough customization. In Far Cry 3 you should be able to customize you weapons. There should also be lots of weapons.

Choices
In Far Cry 2, when there was a mission, there was usually only one way enter the area and complete the mission. Far Cry 3 should have multiple entrance points for every mission, and multiple way to solve it.

Currency
IT was difficult to earn a lot of money in Far Cry 2 so that you could buy weapons and equipment. It should be easier to make money in Far Cry 3.

That is pretty much it.

lil_morta_7
06-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Well they said they're trying to go pretty realistic. And you know about your customization and such, your on a remote island in the middle of friggin' no where with a bunch of loons who haven't seen mass civilization is years for all we know. You aren't gonna have much customization.

elliotthebest02
04-17-2012, 08:51 PM
farcry3 can be improved from farcry2 by:

attachments on guns (like red dot and things like that)
more guns
be able to fly helicopters and that
be able to do more things on map editor
don't make it as long to level up
be able to create classes

thats all i can think of

hope you like my advive :cool:

oh yeh and could you make so we have like a radar online or something
and could you make it so its faster to get in a match im on it now and its taking ages

xOMGITSJASONx
04-17-2012, 09:42 PM
I play literally hundreds of different games each year. Since this is Far Cry 3 we are talking about I must say you nailed most of my issues with Far Cry 2 (which I really enjoyed minus the killer jeeps). My only concern with Far Cry 3 will be the story campaign. I want a long methodical rich story with ups and downs that is atmospheric and engaging. I know Ubi can do it.

steve133d
04-17-2012, 10:23 PM
what a great thread idea, another way to be sure that ubisoft makes Far Cry 3 the best Far Cry game ever made. Maybe we should compare far cry 1-2 and 3. Many loved Far cry 1 for many reasons ( like the environment ( tropical island ) which is back but many other reason too....

SurpriseInPants
04-18-2012, 12:19 AM
IMO...

Map Editor: Agree to a degree (hey! it rhymes!), I felt as if it was overwhelming in the beginning, but became substantially easier to use the longer you used it. As far as user-friendliness goes, though, I felt it was very user-friendly for a map creator, as there's no dealing with files and the like. Just drag and drop.

Open World: I agree with it all, though doubt most of it will make the cut. :(

Too Open: I felt as if the designers didn't quite know if they were making a linear game or an open-world game at times. A lot of the time it was spot-on, but other times there was this difference in the game world, like "you can enter here at any time, but there's only one way in". Kind of like a pseudo-open world at times I suppose? But mainly it was just that there wasn't much to see or do outside of the missions. FC2 had an open world with very few sights and a linear mission structure. Though considering it takes place in war-ravaged Africa, I give it some leeway.

Guard Posts: As you said, and I could never understand why they always shot me on sight. I would have liked to have a visa or papers of some sort that would let me bypass the guard post without shooting people. Also I always felt forced into a confrontations with the guards, as I could never find another way around a lot of the posts, though maybe I wasn't being creative enough.

Enemy Health: I never got why i had to unload an entire clip to kill a guy in the game. I also would've liked a little bit more tactical shooting, as most of the time it never seemed to matter where I shot the enemy, they always suffered the same damage. This would lead to me unloading on a single guy without a sense of actually where to shoot on his body. I think RDR does bullet impact and enemy injuries the best by far, where enemies fall on the ground, and you can take out their shooting hands.

Stealth: I loved it when it worked, hated it when it didn't. If you play really smart, then stealth becomes more viable, though still not easy by any means. At least from my experience.

Too Repetitive: I actually disagree, while there weren't many sights to see in the game, there were many ways to play it. As long as the player mixed up the gameplay and creates their own strategy, the game rarely gets as repetitive as a lot of folks say. Again, in my experience.

Customization: I love customizing in any game, and I believe FC3 lets players customize their weapons to an extent, so that's cool.

Choices: I think I stated this above in another point.

Currency: I always thought this was interesting, as it sucks gaining diamonds in the beginning, but by the end I had way more than I knew what to do with. My problem isn't how hard it is to find money, mine is there's not much to spend on.

AGAIN, I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH, THIS IS ALL IMHO... Rock on. :cool:

The3PointBuck
04-18-2012, 02:06 AM
Ummm... I never had any problems with killing the enemy and using stealth. And I played on the highest difficulty. I actually thought the enemy health was fairly realistic and I enjoyed it. Being stealthy required extreme patience and not making contact with the enemy at all. I had ways to cross the map and completly avoid all guard posts and trucks, so I never was bothered with repetative respawns as much. I did this by walking everywhere. You could crouch in the bushes and never be seen. I think the map editor is the best Ive ever used. And I deifitley do not want a more linear game world, that would be horrid. I actually was bothered with how all the cliffs in FC 2 bottlenecked you most the time. I would prefer wide open spaces. The missions could use a lot more variety and I always love customization. In order to buy all the weapons and upgrades in FC 2 you literally had to find all the hidden briefcases and do all the missions.

The3PointBuck
04-18-2012, 03:18 AM
All I noticed was that using a machete would somehow alert everybody. I could usually fall back after being spotted and circle around thier flanks (except with the eagle eyed sniperes). Using silenced weapons was somehow more efficient than the machete. But not attacking was still the best way to remain under the radar for me. I always wondered why the enemies never seemed to sleep at night.

The3PointBuck
04-18-2012, 07:36 PM
I cant wait to see how realistic the AI will be, especially the dogs. Do you think they mo-caped the dogs?
I want so much realism that I would be forced to cower in the jungle and weep in terror or fight with a passion and actually want to escape the island.
Good lord! what if they had it where you could hear and feel Jasons heart beat during streeful situations!? That would be very intense and make every moment have an impact on the player. Maybe the adrenaline from combat can even cause your accuracy to decrease and impair your abilities like a real firefight would do. Then to add to the insanity Jason begins to get post traumatic stress disorder..:eek:

lil_morta_7
04-19-2012, 03:25 PM
As far as stealth goes, dumb down the A.I a ton, and I think they should bring traps back. The end. :P

ronster2011
04-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Just not to release a broken game like far cry 2 was it's one thing having bugs another thing where the entire gameplay was simply too repetitive and unfortunatly irritating.... Essentially a game is meant to be fun and an enjoyable experience even if it has mature themes Far cry 2 would have been good if it had not have been so boring it seems they are addressing the issue and keeping my fingers crossed that this time they get it right they are very aware about what went wrong in far cry 2 but the only thing I have not seen addressed yet is enemy variation and stealth so again let's hope that we can have varied enemies also that you have to fight differently apart from everything we have seen as of yet.

Far cry 3 would need to have other distractions or activities to break the monotomy how about hunting a crocodile that has claimed 7 lives a river near a village, shark fishing and selling the fish in town,. Archery Competition / blowgun competition / treasure hunting things like this as distractions from the main campaign and people not trying to kill you constantly where ever you go

basically fun mini games along with the main campaign.

When driving a vehicle radio music would be a good addition

and last but not least THE STEALTH GAMEPLAY AND UBER STEALTH WEAPONS NEEDS TO BE PRESENT FOR IT TO TRULY BE FAR CRY dont get me wrong I like gunplay too but it's about having the choice and the approach to your objective that counts the most and the build up in gameplay before all out action occurs I have not seen enough buildup and different stealth weapons to wet my pallette yet in any trailers or footage.

Flashify
04-22-2012, 04:40 PM
hated not being able to get in a sniping position up a mountain because an invisible was stopping me.

xOMGITSJASONx
04-22-2012, 10:55 PM
AI and story along with cleaning up any performance issues like glitches etc.

ronster2011
04-23-2012, 04:00 AM
The OP nails down alot of what I felt was bad about Far Cry 2 and that also it felt like it lost it's way in terms of direction and tried to be too real and at the same time was totally unrealistic........ Notice the ubisoft banner for welcome to our forums does not contain a reference to far cry 2 says it all really

matonking
04-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Climb obstacles

Very frustraiting humping a boulder for 5 minute trying to jump up onto a ledge thats barely 3 feet above you.
I never saw why you couldn't climb up the tiny hills that were dotted everywhere in the game.
You are a missionary FFS!

Transport

Too big of a world for too slow and too weak vehicles.
Needs something to fly to cover distances! even if its a microlight

AI Aiming

The accuracy NEEDS to be dropped for AI. I shouldn't be shot with an RPG from 500m away so easily or sniped with a handgun.

AI health

Those bullet proof invisible vests P'd me off to know end

Degrading weapons

Was an okay feature, but it often jammed in the middle of a gun fight (suspiciously so), and considering we are in a tropical paradise and not a dusty african savana.. it needs to go.

diseases

Malaria can suck my balls! I hated having to collect pills and more importantly.. it only ever happened in the first 10-30% of the game. After that it didn't seem to affect you as frequently. Just isn't needed. GET RID OF IT!

controls

My biggest issue was the clunky controls. Just didn't feel very fluid and it always annoyed me. Especially on MP.

Even on highest sensitivity the controls were almost exponential in turning speed instead of a nice linear progression, using the controller (PS3), So when you tried to turn around it was either a clear over shoot or a clunky slow turn.

ronster2011
04-23-2012, 01:51 PM
FarCry 2 as a first approach made a very good job. As for the banner has nothing to do with it's success or not, really you get nowhere with your conjectures without any real reasoning.

Techniaclly it was very good but it was the gameplay that made it suffer and essentially thats why it failed that is what I mean and I am not being funny about it, if it was that good it would be on the advertising banner but it's not but I would hope the protagonist of Far cry 3 ends up there because this will be the last chance that is why I have been looking into many things and trying to convey messages about what I think for the success of the game.... I really do want Ubisoft to do well on this and granted everyone makes mistakes and I am trying to channel good energy towrds making this game good so please if you don't like my comments or suggestions and don't think that I think before I write somthing then I can assure you I mean exactly what I write and say and I am not trolling the thread please look at my other posts if you do not believe me because I have put quite alot of thought into some of the things I have said over this weekend, and I am not posting for my benefit alone I want to spur on Ideas and make Far cry 3 a success and have it stand out from the crowd so please understand that fact

Although why would ubi-soft listen to me? It's worth a try atleast what do you think?

Holographik
04-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Climb obstacles

Very frustraiting humping a boulder for 5 minute trying to jump up onto a ledge thats barely 3 feet above you.
I never saw why you couldn't climb up the tiny hills that were dotted everywhere in the game.
You are a missionary FFS!

I think you mean mercenary and jumping the boulder :) Gameplay would have been dreadfully dull as a missionary :p

WretcheddDrake
04-24-2012, 01:43 AM
How Far Cry 3 Can Be Improved From Far Cry 2

Where do I even begin?

Let's see...

The map editor is great, but the atmosphere of Far Cry 2 was awful. All brown and dirty with green water. I'm glad they're going back to a vibrant and colorful tropical theme

The player movement in Far Cry 2 is what ruined that game's multiplayer. It seems this has been addressed for 3

Weapons were pretty terrible in Far Cry 2. I do like that now we get to customize our layout. I hope this carries over to custom games so that I don't have to always make a new loadout or upgrade weapons AGAIN everytime I enter a private match

Vehicles were sluggish and sensitive in Far Cry 2. I won't bother to comment on them for 3 since they're not included in the multiplayer.

Spawn times are also a buzzkill for FPS games. Please reduce the spawn time to 3 seconds like FCIP, AND allow us to customize spawn time/lives in private matches.

JamesCallahan
09-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Ways FC3 can be better than FC2
There are soooooo many ways FC3 can be better.
1: A better fast travel system. The Omnibus route things in FC2 worked pretty well in some cases, but sometimes the positioning of objectives and obstacles in the world were frustrating.
2: More sense of an open world. While FC2 lets you go places in what order you choose, most of the game is spent in narrow valleys avoiding rocks and trees. Only in the desert areas did i feel like I was actually in an open world game where I could be an awesome sniper.
3: Better selection of weapons, especially at the beginning. After a long while you could develop your loadout to accomadate your playstyle, but the first chunk of the game clearly favors action vs stealth.
4: Better vehicle driving. While driving down those narrow valleys, avoiding the rocks, trees, posts, and random things, it's really hard to see where you're going, especially in dense jungle areas because the lighting, while good looking, breaks everything up so it's a jumbled mess of light and dark leaves and because it's a game, you have no depth perception nor spacial awareness, and because it's forced funnel vision (being in 1st person) I crash a LOT. Also, it takes too long to get out of vehilces at times. And the hang-glider, while fun and smooth once it's in the air, was too rare and hard to get off the ground in the 1st place, mostly due a random rock or tree in the way.
5: NO MALARIA. NO HANDICAP OF THE CHARACTER. While it's realistic, it detracts from the fun.
6: Better lighting. The lighting in FC2 LOOKS good, but is a pain to play the game in. Especially under a lot of trees or a shack with a crappy roof. The clash of light and dark make it impossible to see. A flashlight would have been nice.
7: AUTOSAVE. FC2 asked if I wanted to save at the most inconvenient times, like when 20 guys are shooting at me. Instead of asking, I would have preferred to let the game just do it.
8: Better buddies. They would help me if I died in any way except for one, which was the most common way I died. Getting hit by a car. Which brings us to number...
9: Enemy cars are one-hit kill if you're run over? I've wasted a lot of time fighting #7's save issue just to get hit by some random car that came over a hill that I could not have avoided. It'd be nice if these weren't so overly deadly. Deadly is fine, but it's just insane as is.
10: Better boats. This looks like it's solved already, but the BIG boats in FC2 were pointless in singleplayer. The waterways were not wide enough for them to fit through.
11: Better aiming. This has been pointed out before, but the sensitivity in FC2 was insane. Either aiming very, very slowly, or uncontrollably fast. No middleground? Really?
12: Wider mission variety. All the missions felt the same. (partially due to #3) All the missions for me flowed like this: Drive up to 20 yds away from area. Hop out, sneak, scout, start shooting. Kill/blow up objective, run like mad back to my car, drive away. Fun at first, but it get's old fast.
13: Better swimming.
14: Better running.
15: Better jumping.
16: Better story. The Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now was a good story, but given the open world nature and slow progretion of the game, it didn't work here. (this looks like it's solved already in FC3)
17:Sturdier vehicles. The fact that vehicles degrade didn't bother me, but they fell apart really easily at times. Being able to take a few more bullets would be nice.
18:Less dense trees. The trees/ bushes/grass made it way to hard to see anything except light/shadow clash for most of the game.
19:Ability to melee without having to change to a machete and back would be nice.
20: Better fire. It was amazing for it's time, but sometimes it would just burn without end, other times, it would burn just long enough for the sound effects to start, then stop.
I think that's about all I have ATM...

mistados
09-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Reduce the lag between pressing the shoot button and the gun actually firing..console versions suffered badly from this..

StrayDog_RR
09-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Weapon degredation is not so annoying... Hope that it will return.

deussd
09-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Why there are so many people have problems with FC2 player movement? I think FC2 has the most realistic movement system I've ever seem~except you can't climb over an 3-feet tall fence:p

Holographik
09-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Weapon degredation is not so annoying... Hope that it will return.

Weapon degredation will unfortunately not return.

Why there are so many people have problems with FC2 player movement? I think FC2 has the most realistic movement system I've ever seem~except you can't climb over an 3-feet tall fence:p

I can't speak for PC, but on consoles it was mostly the slow turning that people had trouble with, as well as the lazy aiming, it just wasn't responsive enough compared to many other shooters.
I personally hated the stamina of your character, you were apparently the most out of shape mercenary ever. A 10 meter run would leave you gasping and dizzy :confused:

deussd
09-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Weapon degredation will unfortunately not return.

I personally hated the stamina of your character, you were apparently the most out of shape mercenary ever. A 10 meter run would leave you gasping and dizzy :confused:

Agreed, from what I know, a well trained, well equipped (at least 30kgs) American soldier can charge in his maximum speed for 60 seconds, so I don't see why players can't sprint longer.

Holographik
09-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Agreed, from what I know, a well trained, well equipped (at least 30kgs) American soldier can charge in his maximum speed for 60 seconds, so I don't see why players can't sprint longer.

At least 60 seconds, and your character in the game did not have nearly the equipment a modern soldier does. I hope Jason is able to run farther the longer we play, and the more deadly he gets. That would make sense, since he's an average American guy. He's thin, but probably a bit out of shape. As he develops and becomes a warrior he should become stronger and have more endurance. The same should be true for his swimming, shooting, takedowns, etc.

PurSkillz
09-19-2012, 08:21 PM
since he's an average American guy. He's thin, but probably a bit out of shape..

Oh, so you have a problem with americans??? we're not all out of shape just look at the OLYMPICS!!!!
did NORWAY do good? NO!
don't talk **** about americans when you know noting about us, ignorant pos!!
america would make all of the world a crater if we wnted to but we dont you should be THANKFUL!

Holographik
09-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Oh, so you have a problem with americans??? we're not all out of shape just look at the OLYMPICS!!!!
did NORWAY do good? NO!
don't talk **** about americans when you know noting about us, ignorant pos!!
america would make all of the world a crater if we wnted to but we dont you should be THANKFUL!

What's your problem man?
No, I don't have a problem with America, I lived there for years, I know quite a bit about it in fact.
Did I say all Americans were out of shape? No, I merely remarked Jason was American, and an average guy. Take any twenty something year-old college student these days regardless of nationality, and he/she likely won't be a pinnacle of fitness and stamina.

It's nice you still believe America is the world power it once was, very cute.

But I digress, I'm not here to fight with anyone. Let's just be civil :)

TheTetraktys
09-19-2012, 09:07 PM

Haha too bad the USA still answers to foreign powers huh. Ever wondered why you're getting screwed so much? Your politicians /presidents are puppets, nothing more. Have fun with the fake left right wing paradigm.

MSV-Vextor
09-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Let's get back on topic. Olympics don't really have anything to do with Far Cry 3 MP.

mambonuts
09-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Let's get back on topic. Olympics don't really have anything to do with Far Cry 3 MP.

Unless of course, you're doing the 100 metre sprint while dodging bullets from an AK-47...LOL

Sorry...I had too...;)

Now, back to topic people...