PDA

View Full Version : For any CFS3'ers still out there (LOL); MAW is released!

BrewsterPilot
06-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Mediterranean Air War is finally released, after years and years of hard work...

LINK (http://www.medairwar.com/)

Blood_Splat
06-09-2007, 01:26 PM
http://www.medairwar.com/maw/films/40mm_havoc.wmv

I like the tank attack.

LStarosta
06-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Nice. Looks pretty cool. I might try it out.

Divine-Wind
06-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by BrewsterPilot:
... after years and years of hard work...
Years and years is right. I found out about MAW in like 2003... And this is the first release. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Looks sweet, hope my computer doesn't blow up when I play it.

XyZspineZyX
06-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by BrewsterPilot:
Mediterranean Air War is finally released, after years and years of hard work...

LINK (http://www.medairwar.com/)

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Today is June 9 2007

~edit

I thought the Sphinx was sandbagged and had a huge retaining wall in front of it during the war

MEGILE
06-09-2007, 03:12 PM
Not in the other half of the world.

Ok I'm being pedantic

reisen52
06-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by BBB462cid:
LINK (http://www.medairwar.com/) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gifToday is June 9 2007[/QUOTE]

They must have figured that out somehow. You can DL it but you can't unlock it till Il Duce gives his speech in Rome on the evening of June 10.

Shtraib
06-09-2007, 04:13 PM
torrents file is avaivable

leitmotiv
06-09-2007, 04:25 PM
I'll definitely try it out!

Skycat_2
06-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Released in three chapters ...

Given the map, and the length of the war, any guesses as to when the other two chapters will be released? I predict:

Part 2: Operation Torch: November 8, (2009?).
Part 3: Invasion of Italy: September 3, (2010?).

If they do this in 'real time,' that is.

Edit: Duh!!! (http://www.medairwar.com/maw/intro.htm) They've already stated the timeline of each chapter. Well, that takes the fun out of guessing. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

leitmotiv
06-10-2007, 04:32 AM
Downloading, even with Rapidshare Premium is grinding slow. Expect to be playing in a couple days.

Superluminal_8
06-10-2007, 06:58 AM
WOW....This gonna take a while to get.What´s wrong with fileplanet http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

leitmotiv
06-10-2007, 11:05 AM
After reading about this for a year, I'm keen as a blade to fire it up. It has all the really interesting early war air/sea interaction IL-2 lacks. Hope they fixed all the crude CFS3 FM foul-ups.

XyZspineZyX
06-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
After reading about this for a year, I'm keen as a blade to fire it up. It has all the really interesting early war air/sea interaction IL-2 lacks. Hope they fixed all the crude CFS3 FM foul-ups.

The 1% team makes nice FM from my experience

leitmotiv
06-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Wonderful. I'll finally be able to do something with CFS3.

VMF-214_HaVoK
06-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Anyone get to try it out yet? I curious to know how it is.

Popey109
06-10-2007, 03:32 PM
I have, wouldnt be so bad but for the fact it's still CFS3...

E-6600
8800gtx
680I mobo
2 gigs Corsair

Still a st..st..studering POS! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif
Oh well, live and learn I guess!

reisen52
06-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Amazing one guy here says he has it & its a POS.....while a large number of people on some other web sites are heaping all kinds of praise on the developers.

Guess they are not as smart as we are & just don't know any better.

leitmotiv
06-10-2007, 11:13 PM
There is a kneejerk reaction to call anything based on CFS3 junk on this forum. I just completed download. Installing. Will get back as soon as I have some info. P.S. I LOATH CFS3.

Skycat_2
06-10-2007, 11:22 PM
The password is now available at the MAW site.

reisen52
06-11-2007, 02:53 AM
There is a kneejerk reaction to call anything based on CFS3 junk on this forum. I just completed download. Installing. Will get back as soon as I have some info. P.S. I LOATH CFS3.

Yeah, It was a real rush job - released about 6 months before it was done to grab some quick Christmas money before M$ abandoned it. A really crappy way for them to pull the plug on combat sims.

That being said, any hobby group who tries to do what the Desert Rats seem to have done deserves a "Well Done". Think about what they might be able to do if BoB is open enough for them to work on.

It would be a really big deal in my mind if they pulled it off. Can't try it myself, my #1 disk is cracked so I can't re-install it, so I would be interested in what you or anyone has to say.

leitmotiv
06-11-2007, 03:00 AM
Hey! It ain't IL-2 graphics-wise, but it isn't the CFS3 FM either (the notorious Piper Cub stall). If you wipe out, you wipe out. Don't expect to do the routine procedures and to recover from a spin like in IL-2. If you spin, you are toast. At least that was the experience I had in the MS406. If you are an early war person, this will float your boat, if you only get excited after May 1944, don't even bother. If the CR32 is your cup of tea, you will like this despite cartoonish graphics (maybe). I am still getting used to it. For me it has promise because I like 6 DOF, early war, and Italian and French aircraft.

reisen52
06-11-2007, 03:09 AM
Hey! It ain't IL-2 graphics-wise, but it isn't the CFS3 FM either (the notorious Piper Cub stall).

Could you post some shots so we can see what it really looks like & not have just the shots from developers like this one at netwings?

http://forums.netwings.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8313

leitmotiv
06-11-2007, 04:51 AM
Don't have the time to post images. Looks just like the screenshots they have posted---in fact, better. I have an excellent rig and I have the graphics set at maximum, and it looks much better than I described in my other post ("cartoonish"). I am thoroughly enjoying the French aircraft (why does the Breguet 693 not have a gunsight? and what happened to the LeO's cockpit?). The Potez 63.11 and MS406 are gems---I've used them quite a bit. With so many aircraft to use, this will not be used up in a day. I love it.

Hawgdog
06-11-2007, 04:52 AM
Wow, two pages of another companies product being discussed.
I think my next money will go to CFS instead of UBI.

msalama
06-11-2007, 04:59 AM
So if I understood correctly no matter what you do you just cannot recover from a spin in MAW then?

reisen52
06-11-2007, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by Hawgdog:

And over 800 views, maybe UBI can charge M$ rent for the space & bandwidth or something.

leitmotiv
06-11-2007, 06:24 AM
I am beginning to believe they went overboard and overcompensated for the lousy CFS3 FM. I'm having trouble recovering from a spin which is code for I'm slamming into terra firm no matter what I do. Does anybody know where the screenshots go after you take them? I discovered something fabulously impressive. I took the Wellington IC for a ride, and it has a cockpit to end all cockpits---I've never seen so much detail, and, if you 360 around, you see details in the nose, in the navigator's station, and all over. Mind boggling. I'll post the screenshot if I can get some help finding it. Couldn't find a screenshot file in the CFS3 folder.

msalama
06-11-2007, 06:36 AM
Cheers Leitmotiv. Keep us posted about all things MAW, but particularly the FMs if you don't mind because from what I've heard the 1% guys have a reputation of knowing their stuff pretty well...

Bearcat99
06-11-2007, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Hawgdog:

It's your dime.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Besides.. I highly recommend open discussion and purchase of all the other available sims.... they all will make you appreciate this one better...

joeap
06-11-2007, 06:51 AM
I am beginning to believe they went overboard and overcompensated for the lousy CFS3 FM. I'm having trouble recovering from a spin which is code for I'm slamming into terra firm no matter what I do. Does anybody know where the screenshots go after you take them? I discovered something fabulously impressive. I took the Wellington IC for a spin, and it has a cockpit to end all cocpits---I've never seen so much detail, and, if you 360 around, you see details in the nose, in the navigator's station, and all over. Mind boggling. I'll post the screenshot if I can get some help finding it. Couldn't find a screenshot file in the CFS3 folder.

Ugggh, I hate that sort of thing...you know "harder is more realistic" schtick. Still the Welly sounds impressive, I'm missing those early war bombers in Il-2. I doubt I'll get this though cause, I don't have CFS3, I doubt I have enouight HD room left, or the horsepower to run it. Still I'll check out the specs, CFS3 is going really cheap now.

leitmotiv
06-11-2007, 06:59 AM
So far, I'm impressed. However, appears the the negative-G stall could not be induced in the CFS3 code---could not get my Hurricane I to do it. It's a mixed bag. Makes you wonder what is the point when something that fundamental could not be rammed into the system. Also, opponents come out of nowhere. Empty sky and suddenly you are being hosed down. I play without the cribs so I'm getting bushwhacked.

leitmotiv
06-11-2007, 07:59 AM
I cannot recover from a spin in any single-seat fighter I've spun (MS406, MC200) at any altitude. The bombers are the aces of the deck as far as I'm concerned---you can fly torpedo-packing SM79s, a frigging Fw 200 Condor, Wellington IC, BR20, Breguet 693, Blenheim I, Ju 52, Potez 63.11, and more. The cockpits on many of the bombers are very impressive. If you were rather put off by the wind-up fare of IL-2 (as I was), this has some attraction. It's like OVER FLANDERS FIELDS---resembling the little girl who when she was good was very very good but when she was bad she was awful.

SeaFireLIV
06-11-2007, 08:31 AM
Is it me or does the MAW title screen depict aircraft from IL2 shots? They certainly look like IL2 planes. Kinda ironic.

Anyway, gave another try of CFS3 with firePower. What FirePower does it does well ie, extra immersion ground effects (dropping a 1000Lb bomb on anything is a joy, nice-ish aircraft with 6DOF. But the terrible problems of the original remain ie, empty aircraft that fire back at you, incredibly limited AI wingmen commands (attack, rejoin, split formation? Help) and the dogfighting I find abysmal. Oh yea and every fighter intercept mission conks out my engine so I have to spend 2 minutes restarting it. Wish I hadn`t given this a second chance. IL2 still rules even without 6DOF.

Does MAW address any of these limitations?

smatchimo
06-11-2007, 08:46 AM
It is a quality MOD and is well worth a look. I have a mid-range rig and it runs VERY smooth. There is no need to junk it due to any prior experience w/ CFS3, these guys fixed it up VERY nicely.
There is quite a bit of content so try to delay judgment till you have tried it yourself or others have had the chance to dig. Im not a part of the MAW team in anyway, just a flight sim fan w/ a simple, level headed opinion.

Basically, if ya have a copy of CFS3 still in one piece, it is well worth a look.

P.s.- Havent had any probs w/ spin recovery, but havent flown a lot of the A/C yet either.

Cheers!

Popey109
06-11-2007, 08:51 AM
I didnt say Maw was a POS!
I siad CFS3 was a POS! Fact is no mater what third party does to CFS3 aint going to fix it.
They can make it better, but the game IS broke!

AI cant land
AI **** tactics
No proper commands for AI.
Force feed back ALL SCREWD UP even with 1%
studdering, low fps even on uper to mid pc's
have to fus with it to danm much to be fun.
Still destroying bridges and hangers with .50cal
I mean, come on!...I know they were tiger killers...but, bridge killers?

It's the core game! it's bad...it's always been bad and will never be fixed. Just too much left broke by M$. Just my thoughts http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

reisen52
06-11-2007, 08:52 AM
I cannot recover from a spin in any single-seat fighter I've spun (MS406, MC200) at any altitude.

I posted a question to them about this.

Responce was its a known issue with the .159 flight model & is corrected in the .161 version that will be in the first patch, about 30 days.

Not sure what a .159 or .161 is but it looks like they are working the problem. More then M$ did after the original release.

BTW on the dumb AI this guy has this to say in post #4. I don't think these people are going to be too critical as they are in on the process.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=44125

But I figured here at UBI I would get a worse case scenario, but hoped people would really give it a try & not just down it out of hand.

I would like to get a good body of opinion on MAW to see if its worth the trouble to getting a new copy of CFS3.

Steven190
06-11-2007, 10:37 AM
leitmotiv

Screen shots from CFS3 go to the CFS3/Mediterranean Air Wars folder in My Documents

reisen52
06-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by joeap:Still I'll check out the specs, CFS3 is going really cheap now.

The specs on the box are pure M$ BS. You need to triple or quadruple them at a minimum.

jasonbirder
06-11-2007, 11:31 AM
I'll download it and try it for the SM79 and the CR32 alone...
How great would it have been if Forgotten Battles had stuck with Forgotten Battles like this instead of concentrating on the 1944 and after stuff...
Hope that the first SOW expansion (The Med one) focuses on the early med instead of cashing in/selling out and focusing on Sicilly/Italy and all the US planes...

LStarosta
06-11-2007, 12:21 PM
I like it a lot, however, I was wondering if the Vickers 40mm is modelled, or if that video was just 20mm cannons.

TheGozr
06-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Well it seems that they have issues and they will fix it quickly.. anyway mine wont start it crash at start up screen.

LStarosta
06-11-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm running Vista and it works fine until I drop a bomb or something and it explodes and then it freezes and crashes Windows completely. Otherwise, it's really fun, and I totally enjoy CFS3 in single player campaign mode where it really shines.

Divine-Wind
06-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by LStarosta:
I like it a lot, however, I was wondering if the Vickers 40mm is modelled, or if that video was just 20mm cannons.
Do two 20mm cannons count as a 40mm?

leitmotiv
06-11-2007, 04:18 PM
Starosta, you get my award for gutsiest poster of the decade for admitting to liking CFS3 on a Maddox forum---I like CFS3 for flying Lancaster missions, cheers!

M_Gunz
06-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by LStarosta:
I'm running Vista and it works fine until I drop a bomb or something and it explodes and then it freezes and crashes Windows completely. Otherwise, it's really fun, and I totally enjoy CFS3 in single player campaign mode where it really shines.

Soundcard issue?

leitmotiv
06-12-2007, 05:14 AM
More FM info, msalama: the Hurricane I definitely does have negative-G cut-out. Flew a long dogfight with 110Es in one and it did cut-out very nicely whenever I slammed the nose down at high speed. Also, and interestingly, I was able to recover from a spin very briskly in this aircraft while I was dead meat in an MS406 and MC200. Some have been complaining about shooting. Not I. I was able to flame two 110s, but one miraculously put out the fires in each engine and in the wings. Flew the Wellington IC to Benghazi (gad, it is a beauty), and dropped incendiaries. All animation beautiful and accurate. Cockpit took a direct hit from flak, and I got the chop. Crashed by the beach! I'm going to be using MAW a lot until BOB has these aircraft.

SeaFireLIV
06-12-2007, 05:47 AM
Thing is I wanted to like CFS3, cos the campaign idea`s not bad. The ground pounding is excellent imho, but oh so much more is awful with it, even with the mods.

What gets me is how people seem to ignore the most fundamental errors that kills a FLIGHT SIM. The quitting engine, not fixed. The **** AI commands, still not fixed. the Ai tactics (both friend and enemy) in combat are sleep inducing. I never, ever get intercepted unless I do a CAP mission or fighter sweep... empty rear gunners still shooting at you.

yea, I`m repeating myself on an IL2 forum.

Atrocious.

It should be called a ground pounding sim and then it may be ok, but dogfighting. Nah, it`s total rubbish and believe me I gave this 2 months effort before and tried again just recently. The only good thing is that it doesn`t stutter for me any more since my PC`s been upgraded 3 times since it`s release 3 years ago.

leitmotiv
06-12-2007, 05:50 AM
MAW is not CFS3.

SeaFireLIV
06-12-2007, 05:52 AM
No it aint, but does it fix the problems I mentioned since it uses CFS3?

leitmotiv
06-12-2007, 07:03 AM
It's too early for me to say since I just started using it 24 hours ago, and since they are going to scrap the version I am using within a matter of days, but the design does correct the infamous CFS3 "Piper Cub stall" (over-corrects in some aircraft to the point to where they will not recover from spins). So far, I am impressed. They really revamped the sow's ear.

reisen52
06-12-2007, 07:38 AM
They have some info about the FM part of the patch here.

http://www.avhistory.org

Superluminal_8
06-12-2007, 07:41 AM
The fov view of the pilot is really far back,isn´t.No biggie,though,just push a button.
Do the Ju 87 missing the floor window,or are the 500kg bombs really obscure it?.Do not recall if it does in Il2.

Otherwise it´s nice despite its CFS3 inherit.

reisen52
06-12-2007, 09:24 AM
I hope to have a copy of CFS3 from a friend tonight. I have the DL and password and am looking foward to trying it out.

BTW: The DL failed to install without CFS3 present.

TheGozr
06-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Well mounted my mod into MAW and it's real cool.

leitmotiv
06-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Gozr---mounted your mod---which mod?---I want to add it!

Thanks for the link, reisen. Looks like they have really done their homework. Yes, you have to have CFS3 + the patch installed to DL.

reisen52
06-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the link, reisen.

The pictures in that AvHistory section are outstanding...does the game really look like that?

leitmotiv
06-13-2007, 02:05 AM
Better. I'll try to get some screenshots up. The Wellington cockpit is fabulous. The airplanes are beautiful. The Potez 631 is gorgeous. The weathering on the Wellington is amazing. There are so many superb skins. Right now it is all pretty overwhelming.

Skycat_2
06-13-2007, 02:09 AM
I logged some stick time in MAW tonight ... very brief, but enough to conclude that it is a good mod. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I wasn't sure what I should expect with the cockpits, but so far the planes I've tried look good. Quality-wise, the pits are a mixed bag. I made some screenshots of about half of the Luftwaffe offices:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/Skycat/CFS3_P38/Bf109E.jpg
First, the Bf109E. This is a fantastic pit and alone is worth the trouble of downloading MAW. It looks very similar to Shockwave's 109E for FS9/FSX so I wouldn't be surprised if it is the work of the same modeler(s). The engine sounds have the distintive whistle under the growl of the motor.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/Skycat/CFS3_P38/Bf109F.jpg
The Bf109F cockpit is disappointing in comparison. It has a gunsight reticle but for some reason it doesn't appear in this screenhot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/Skycat/CFS3_P38/Ju-87.jpg
The Stuka.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/Skycat/CFS3_P38/He111.jpg
The He111, complete with crew.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/Skycat/CFS3_P38/Do17.jpg
The Do17.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/Skycat/CFS3_P38/Bf110.jpg
The Bf110. I'm assuming that the missing textures is part of the reason for the recall on the MAW download. I downloaded the GroundCrew Bf110 a couple of years ago and it was complete then as I recall; AvHistory.org had several versions of it on the 1% website.

leitmotiv
06-13-2007, 04:26 AM
Nice work, Skycat. Just exactly where did you find your screenshots? I was not able to find mine in the folder reisen suggested. I posted about the 11O cockpit on the MAW forum. They informed me the 110 cockpit will be finished at a later date. It was not a glitch. The LeO 46, for example, has no cockpit at all. As it so happens, it was intended to be AI-only but they made it flyable without a cockpit. The Blenheim I/IF either has a very rudimentary cockpit or it is incomplete like the 110's. Tried taking off from HMS ILLUSTRIOUS. Dear me, she has no hull---just a deck floating on the water. The Swordfish are beautifully done exterior models. The cockpit is so-so. MAW's FMs seem accurate. They seem comparable to FS9. Take off in the Fairey Battle had some nice torque. The run seemed short with a full load. Were it not for the cartoony water and landscape, this would be a really good item. Too bad Shockwave's great "Firepower" upgrade for CFS3 apparently doesn't work with it.

reisen52
06-13-2007, 09:10 AM
I installed this late last night & played it till way too late. Its absolutely phenomenal what these developers have done warts & all.

My system built around a dual 4400 & a Gforce 8800 will drive MAW at 75fps+ & in some cases over 100fps with visuals that are equal to or better then what they are showing.

It seems the aircraft are mostly the work of three groups Italian Wings, AvHistory & Ground Crew, with a small number of French plans by the Battle of France group...GC has posted pictures the coming 110 cockpit & its every bit the equal of the 109E in Skycat_2's picture.

GC has also posted a detailed setup, which boxes to check for the mysterious CFS3.configuration to get the best visual performance out of the game.

I am seeing the same thing as leitmotiv regarding the spins, they are way to hard to recover from on some but not all of the fighters. Larger planes are very good overall.

I found my screenshots at C:/Documents & Settings/my name/my documents/CFS3 med.....I made them with a CTL ; command. I used the included high res utility to set my games textures at 2048X2048. There does not seem to be any frame rate impact from this change.

I do not know how to post them here but they are really nice. I would like to show the default opening free flight the I got on my system. A Fiat G-50 flying past a smoking Mount Etna on a cloudy morning at sunrise.

I will be returning my borrowed copy & buying a copy of CFS3. This is the sim M$ should have released if they weren't such money grubbing S _ _ TS.

I will admit to being very up for MAW as I have always wanted to do a MTO sim & the ability to fly a B-24 to Ploesti & maybe back is just icing on the cake.

TheGozr
06-13-2007, 09:14 AM
http://www.gozr.net/iocl/images/cfs3/mawgoz.jpg

reisen52
06-13-2007, 11:14 AM
http://Nerfshot.com/myshot.php?img=361.jpg

msalama
06-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Thx all for the info, been following this thread /w interest. Gonna install this baby fer shure. S!

leitmotiv
06-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Ye cats! What a screenshot, reisen! Great work! I had a nasty freeze with the Greece Fairey Battle Mission today. Was flying along OK when suddenly the screen pixilated and then froze. First time this has happened. Have fought several large air battles over Corinth without trouble.

reisen52
06-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Thanks on the screenshot..real life on my screen looks way better. For whatever reason the picture site will not let me post directly here.

I have been following the netwings MAW board & Greece is one of that areas they are having some trouble with, at least in campaign mode.

A reason for the distribution halt, maybe?

That being said thanks to you & the thread starter for looking into this. I would be kicking myself if I had missed it.

Still every time I fly it its hard not to think what this could have been if M$ had done it right considering these guys who don't have any of the underlying code to use have done.

Also each time I fall to my death I keep hearing "CFS3 sucks because you can't spin in it".

staticline1
06-13-2007, 03:00 PM
As said this is what MS should have released but with all the bugs fixed, too bad MS didn't wait another 6 months or so, my hats off to the guys that put this thing together. Some of the cockpits are unfinished and are going to be installed in a later time but wanted to get the first installation out or something like that. Here is a link at netwings regarding the BF-110 cockpit planned on installing at a later date.
http://forums.netwings.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8296&page=2&pp=10

PRetty nice so far, have got to love the dev support as MS has no clue what that is and though it still has some problems nothing is perfect. Get it you will love it.

reisen52
06-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Well the guy showing the 110 panel is the same guy who did the 109 version in Skycats pictures, so you have to believe. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

leitmotiv
06-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Crass cynicism on M$oft's part to have dumped CFS3 on the market---several years later their bacon is pulled out of the fire by some very dedicated people all over the world (talk about united nations!) coming together to make something very special. Frankly, this will be my primary sim, along with FSX, until KOTS and BOB. I am a 1940-41 France/Med kind of guy.

Troll2k
06-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Over Flanders Fields(OFF) also resurrected cfs3.It is a very good WWI mod.

leitmotiv
06-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Yes it is. It is very pretty.

leitmotiv
06-14-2007, 06:22 AM
Whoeeeeeeeeeeee. I set up an Egypt interception scenario with CR32s going after a mob of Blenheim I bombers escorted by a mob of Gladiator Is. A Donnybrook. To answer a question of a long time ago, YES, the AI gives you a good fight. The bomber gunners won't kill you with a head shot at 1000 meters as in IL-2, but the will kill you if you are stupid and attack in their arc. The bomber pilots will fly to put you at a disadvantage so the gunner can get you. The Gladiators were very clever. I was shot down several times. I found using the CR32's telescopic sight easy with 6 DOF while I am never able to wrap myself around it the way you have to use it in IL-2. I thought the FMs were fantastic. You were tempted to go on looping like an idiot until you were out of energy and altitude. The AI encouraged you to be a fool---it looked like some of them ran out of energy too---I wonder if MAW has "stupid AI" like BOB2? Had a very interesting time.

Figured out screenshots, reisen. You were right, I was dumb. I was stupidly hitting the keyboard screenshot key rather than the game screenshot key. Now I'll get some shots of that peachy Wellington.

The190Flyer
06-14-2007, 07:10 AM
I can't stand CFS3, I've had the game almost since it came out, and have only played it a handful of times, but from that screen of the P51, i think i might need to adjust some settings and give it another try! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

ploughman
06-14-2007, 07:12 AM
Don't be meanies. Post some screenies. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

leitmotiv
06-14-2007, 07:34 AM
Coming up shortly!

ploughman
06-14-2007, 08:03 AM
That 110 panel over on Netwings is... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif

BrewsterPilot
06-14-2007, 09:27 AM
Coming up shortly!

... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

leitmotiv
06-14-2007, 10:00 AM
OK, unfortunately, my best ones of my Welly getting hit, flaming, and blowing up right over Tobruk in the middle of the night didn't take. Here are some of the MS406, which has a very good 'pit---note the sliding canopy and the lovely 6 DOF check six:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s261/G6AS/Picture4-1.png

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s261/G6AS/Picture2-2.png

Here are five of the Wellington IC on a bomb run over Tobruk---note the incredible interior detail:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s261/G6AS/Picture7.png

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s261/G6AS/Picture6.png

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s261/G6AS/Picture5.png

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s261/G6AS/Picture3-1.png

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s261/G6AS/Picture1-1.png

jamesdietz
06-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Looks like I'd like to give it a try...Somebody give me a clue - where do I download it & is it a self install or a PITA?

leitmotiv
06-14-2007, 11:11 AM
It is temporarily not available for download while they fix some glitches they discovered the day of the initial release. They will announce the new download here:

http://www.medairwar.com/

And, the forum is here:

http://forums.netwings.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

LStarosta
06-14-2007, 11:57 AM
MAW is pretty damn sweet. I love the early war desert action. Currently I'm flying a 1941 Tomahawk campaign and it's the best combination of tactical close air support strikes, strategic runs on railyards, bridges, and ammo dumps; and good ol fashioned air to air combat! I wish I got intercepted more often on the CAS runs, though. For the most part you can drop your ordinance, and stick around loitering and strafing with impunity.

ploughman
06-14-2007, 12:20 PM
The Wimpy's pukka nice and the 109E pit looks fantastic. I might download it and see if it runs on my faithful but ancient system.

I_KG100_Prien
06-14-2007, 03:00 PM
I bought CFS3 just to try this mod out and I enjoy it. However, (this may sound strange..) it's kind of boring to go on bombing missions where I never see an enemy fighter.

Also have yet to see any enemy aircraft during CAS missions, but maybe I'll start to see more as I progress in my campaigns.

I have really enjoyed a couple of the missions for the Storch. Taking off and dropping some bombs on incoming enemy troops was a hoot.. Felt like a real "Terror in the Sky" in that slow little puddle jumper.

leitmotiv
06-14-2007, 06:47 PM
Luke, the lack of AI aerial opposition in the campaigns is a glitch. They are failing to trigger. That was one of the reasons MAW was withdrawn. Hopefully this will be fixed in the new download.

Ploughman, they have an in-play device to knock down the graphics level in certain circumstances to ease the load on your computer---it was prominently shown on their website before they locked in down. There's info about it in the forum, but I can't recall where.

Prien, see Luke info above re AI glitch.

reisen52
06-14-2007, 10:25 PM
MAW Screenshot 109E tropical

http://nerfshot.com/myshot.php?img=362.jpg

leitmotiv
06-14-2007, 10:30 PM
Gorgeous shot, R.

AKA_TAGERT
06-14-2007, 10:34 PM
Well the price is right...

leitmotiv
06-14-2007, 10:41 PM
Assuming you already were gouged for CFS3...

reisen52
06-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Gorgeous shot, R.

I came in off the MED & noticed for the first time all the buildings they put in that are not in CFS3.

Amazing what you have to pay M$ for & what you get for free from the Rats. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

leitmotiv
06-14-2007, 10:57 PM
I know. I was amazed by Corinth and Tobruk, and the detail on some British destroyers---better detail than on SILENT HUNTER III and IV naval sims! The Desert Rats team is great. I think I will try out an SM79 torpedo bomber---its cockpit is great.

msalama
06-14-2007, 11:37 PM
OK, comes tomorrow it's me downtown scouring the bargain bins for CFS3. Any rumours and / or news on the new release date, BTW?

leitmotiv
06-14-2007, 11:50 PM
They say days, not weeks. Here's hoping. I'll tell you something interesting, msalama, I recovered neatly from two nasty little spins in the MS406 today and surprised myself completely. Maybe I was not acclimatized to the feel of this game? I am now finding it as smooth as IL-2. I had some trouble getting used to it initially. Whatever the reason, scratch the MS406 off the no spin recovery list!

msalama
06-15-2007, 12:29 AM
Cheers again m8. No, but MAW is just the thing at this point IMO, because I've frankly speaking grown a bit bored w/ IL-2 lately. Hell, I even resurrected my old and (tr|d)usty FS2004 from the dead the other day and downloaded a great freeware C150 (http://drk.free.fr/tutoriels/creation/c150_en.php) for it, too, because I've a powerful urge to get back down to basic VFR flying as well - and right now!

But yeah, gotta get CFS3 / MAW too. Only heard good things about it so far. S!

leitmotiv
06-15-2007, 01:43 AM
I'm a bit bored with IL-2, too, and this hit the spot. I almost didn't do the download on the 10th, but I am glad I did. I am using FS9/X more than anything else lately, and esp X. MAW has really excited me. With all the things to play with, it is a real treat. It is full engine management if you want it. Floats my boat!

leitmotiv
06-15-2007, 07:00 AM
If you make your MAW/CFS3 stick settings very stiff, as they should be for early WWII aircraft without power-boosted controls, you get the most severe thrashing I've yet encountered from a sim from some of the aircraft on take off from the torque (I thought FS9/X was the most powerful). I am not using the word "thrashing" lightly. My Microsoft Sidewinder 2 FF stick beat my hand when I took off in the Fulmar and the SM79. I had to really "get a grip" to hold the thrashing thing still enough to get airborne. Very impressive. This is not the old "sim light" CFS3.

reisen52
06-15-2007, 08:35 AM
These are not mine they are from Netwings...developers showing the fixed flares in a night attack.

http://forums.netwings.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4447

http://forums.netwings.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4449

http://forums.netwings.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4450

Looking foward to the re-release.

Pictures must be Torento (SP?) with the torpedos in the water & Bi-planes in the air, this ain't your fathers CFS3.

jamesdietz
06-15-2007, 09:17 AM
1.) Will someone do a fresh post when this MAW download becomes available again? Please?
2.)I've had my MSFFB joystick on default settings forever...Is there adownload or something to tell me how to improve the feel of this ...where? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

reisen52
06-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by jamesdietz:
1.) Will someone do a fresh post when this MAW download becomes available again? Please?
2.)I've had my MSFFB joystick on default settings forever...Is there adownload or something to tell me how to improve the feel of this ...where? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Current unofficial word from one of the guys on the rat team by PM responce is this weekend or early next week for the re-release & 30/45 days for the major first patch.

leitmotiv
06-16-2007, 06:44 AM
OK, JD, if you want authentically stiff Captain Brown-type WWII aircraft control settings for MAW, all you have to do is go to: Options/Control Options/Sensitivities, and for your stick/throttle/peddles put Sensitivity about 5mm to the right of the farthest position on the left side of the slider. Null zone for all should be all the way to the left (that is, no Null zone). That's it. If you have a Microsoft Sidewider 2 FF stick, it ought to thrash your hand severely on take off due to the torque thanks to these ungentle settings, and you will have a hard time keeping you airplane centered on the runway without slamming your boot on the rudder pedal. You will find MAW take offs make IL-2 take offs feel like walks in the park.

reisen52
06-17-2007, 12:33 AM
I was following a MAW thread at SimHq about when the downloads might be back up & BEAR-AvHistory posted a link to this movie. Some good Real Life shots & in game video.

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=f81pEaFZ3dM

I am not sure how they made it because I can't find anything like a track file creator in CFS-3 or MAW but it does truely look like its from the game.

StukaNuka
06-17-2007, 04:18 PM
OK, unfortunately, my best ones of my Welly getting hit, flaming, and blowing up right over Tobruk in the middle of the night didn't take. Here are some of the MS406, which has a very good 'pit---note the sliding canopy and the lovely 6 DOF check six: Okay, I see from the screenies and chat that it has an MS-406 and LeO (albeit with no 'pit). No disrespect to the Morane, but what about a D.520?

leitmotiv
06-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Yes, has D.520, and it is a beauty. Supposedly has a Bloch 152, too, buried in the campaign game.

reisen52
06-17-2007, 07:30 PM
There are a lot of French planes (Vichy & Free) in MAW including home built ones.

The guy who is doing the Battle of France add-on has put all his in & the 1% guys have developed the flight damage & weapons models for them.

Ones I have tried so far are

Br 693 Very good cockpit
D 520 excellent cockpit
Po 631 Very good cockpit
Po 63 Excellent cockpit

http://nerfshot.com/myshot.php?img=372.jpg
http://nerfshot.com/myshot.php?img=373.jpg
http://nerfshot.com/myshot.php?img=378.jpg
http://nerfshot.com/myshot.php?img=375.jpg
http://nerfshot.com/myshot.php?img=377.jpg

leitmotiv
06-17-2007, 08:56 PM
I am puzzled as to why the otherwise excellent Br 693 lacks a gunsight!

LStarosta
06-17-2007, 09:11 PM
French aircraft are so uncommon in flight simulators and I still have to fly these great planes. Leit, how'd you enable engine management? I'm having a bit of difficulty with this because apparently clickable cockpits are not working for me, and in a lot of planes when I try to adjust mixture, it's either Max Rich or Idle/Cutoff. I'd love to be able to toy around with engine settings and finally indulge in something Il-2 has always lacked.

reisen52
06-17-2007, 10:10 PM
Looks like an unfinished cockpit to me, same guy did the D 520. The cockpits are not clickable mixture control is Ctrl = & CTRL - for incremental rich & lean.

leitmotiv
06-17-2007, 11:11 PM
The trouble I'm having, Luke, is with the custom setting the "Config" control settings. I set up a custom control setting Config use it a couple times and it stops working and I have to set up another! I've never had this happen when I've used CFS3 before. I have about five in the selector now! I've quit adding all the complex engine management features because I'll be doing all this over again for the new download in a few days. I alerted the developers to this trouble. Yeah, I definitely like the option to be able to really control the systems of the airplane, and not just be a shooter.

reisen52
06-18-2007, 02:50 AM
I found a picture of the AI LeO 451 on the Battle of France site. Based on the write up the site owner also did the RAF Battle used in MAW. Another unusual plane for a sim.

http://www3.telus.net/murrdaka/ac_leo451/leo451_rq.jpg

Leitmotiv, based on your CFS3 experience, Can a cockpit from one of the other French planes be copied in to make it player flyable, or is there more too it then that?

leitmotiv
06-18-2007, 04:46 AM
Er, I haven't modded CFS3, and my experience is strictly limited to playing CFS3 with Shockwave's FIREPOWER add-on, and I used it with the OVER FLANDERS FIELDS mod until the lame FM started to annoy me (no vicious rotary torque!). I mainly played Lanc night missions. Luke has much more experience in it than I do. It is possible to fly the Leo using the HUD instruments you can toggle, although rather umimmersive to say the least!

MAW has a few incomplete, or very poor cockpits, like the Blenheim I. The Fulmar's is just atrocious. It's unusable. The Battle's is OK. Too bad they can't seem to be able to model rear-view mirrors---I miss them on my Hurricanes.

All in all, though, how can you dislike a free add-on which turns CFS3 into a really good flight sim? Microsoft ought to give Desert Rats a fat check if they had any sense of gratitude.

jamesdietz
06-18-2007, 08:53 AM
Any news on the re-release?

BoF_Gerfaut
06-18-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by reisen52:
I found a picture of the AI LeO 451 on the Battle of France site. Based on the write up the site owner also did the RAF Battle used in MAW. Another unusual plane for a sim.

Leitmotiv, based on your CFS3 experience, Can a cockpit from one of the other French planes be copied in to make it player flyable, or is there more too it then that?

There's definitely more to it than that, but we are currently working on LeO451 VC to be added.

Please don't forget that this a/c was first designed as an AI only, thus not flyable.
Hopefully it'll gain its full flyable status with an hires VC very soon.

BoF_Gerfaut
06-18-2007, 02:10 PM
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/6992/d520gcii3syrie4102gt6.jpg

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/8359/leo45102qa4.jpg

leitmotiv
06-18-2007, 05:08 PM
That is wonderful news about the LeO, Gerfaut, the LeO is, aesthetically, my favorite bomber. Congratulations on the other French aircraft in MAW. Why does the Breguet lack a gunsight? Is it true there is a Bloch 152 in the campaign?

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/e/ed/Liore_et_Olivier_LeO_45_at_Oran_la_Senia.jpg

BoF_Gerfaut
06-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Thx leitmotiv, these a/c are mainly a collective work.
The LeO comissioned in MAW is the late LeO, in the BoF campaign you'll get the early LeO as shown on your pic.

Yep, the Br.693 still lacks its OPL31 gunsight (the same as MS.406's), but we're still working on it too. Stay tuned for new upgraded versions that will follow.
All these a/c also garantee online compatibility, even if some were just made flyable despite their initial AI-only status.
This adds for more possibilities from the initial release, but they will of course get a VC asap.

faustnik
06-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Guys, I have the CFS3 disk somewhere...

If I can dig it out, is it a big deal to install the MAW upgrade? Do I just install CFS3 and then MAW right over it, or do I need a bunch of patches and other fixes?

Skycat_2
06-18-2007, 05:42 PM
1. Install CFS-3.
2. Install the 3.1 patch from Microsoft.
3. Install the 3.1a patch from Microsoft.
4. Download MAW when it becomes available.
5. Download the password for MAW when it becomes available.
6. Run MAW's install execute. Insert the password when prompted.

Basically that's all there is to it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LStarosta
06-18-2007, 05:42 PM
That is wonderful news about the LeO, Gerfaut, the LeO is, aesthetically, my favorite bomber. Congratulations on the other French aircraft in MAW. Why does the Breguet lack a gunsight? Is it true there is a Bloch 152 in the campaign?

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/e/ed/Liore_et_Olivier_LeO_45_at_Oran_la_Senia.jpg

http://www.samoloty.ow.pl/fot/fot216.jpg

It reminds me of the PZL.37. What fine lines those are! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

faustnik
06-18-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Skycat_2:
1. Install CFS-3.
2. Install the 3.1 patch from Microsoft.
3. Install the 3.1a patch from Microsoft.
4. Download MAW when it becomes available.
5. Download the password for MAW when it becomes available.
6. Run MAW's install execute. Insert the password when prompted.

Basically that's all there is to it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks! That's no big deal, I'll start digging! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

leitmotiv
06-18-2007, 05:57 PM
I know, Luke. I like bombers that looked like racers (and performed like racers) like the PZL.37, LeO, and B-26.

leitmotiv
06-18-2007, 06:01 PM
I am going to install the BoF, Gerfaut!

jamesdietz
06-18-2007, 06:08 PM
I can't seem to locate the 3.1a patch on the Microsoft site ...only found 3.1v.2 to install,which I did... can you give me a hand?I want to be prepared!

reisen52
06-18-2007, 07:04 PM
I can't seem to locate the 3.1a patch on the Microsoft site ...only found 3.1v.2 to install,which I did... can you give me a hand?I want to be prepared!

http://www.microsoft.com/games/combatfs3/downloads.aspx

BoF_Gerfaut
06-18-2007, 11:42 PM
I am going to install the BoF, Gerfaut!

Please note that due to the release of MAW, the original BoF campaign needs a major rework for taking into account last a/c deliveries and all that, so atm MAW is the reference environment as far as BoF French a/c are concerned.

leitmotiv
06-19-2007, 01:29 AM
OK! Keep up the great work!

reisen52
06-19-2007, 06:31 AM
Posted at Netwings by BEAR-AvHistory in a thread about the campaign in Greece.

http://home.nc.rr.com/bear257th/acrop.jpg

There are also 4 posted by "rafael"

http://forums.netwings.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8348

I don't know if its just me, but all the pictures I have seen so far from MAW are very good overall. Not like CFS3 at all.

I wonder if its the hi-level(sp?)texture utility thats included doing it & can it be used in regular CFS3?

leitmotiv
06-19-2007, 09:38 AM
Somebody did their homework.

StukaNuka
06-19-2007, 11:24 PM
If it was released, why did they pull it? Sounds fishy to me.

Aaron_GT
06-20-2007, 03:39 AM
The Fulmar's is just atrocious. It's unusable. The Battle's is OK.

Given that they are, in a sense, versions of the same basic airframe, maybe it is possible to reuse the Battle airframe as the basis of a new Fulmar cockpit?

leitmotiv
06-20-2007, 04:20 AM
Not really. The Battle and the Fulmar had very different windscreens and the Fulmar had a reflector gunsight (which was terribly modeled, as was the windscreen). Maybe they will revisit the Fulmar? The external model is fine.

leitmotiv
06-20-2007, 06:15 AM
I played an amusing scenario with Potez 63.11s hunting for German tanks. Used an Italian town for a French town. High level of flak and two lurking 109Es. Well, I and my other 63.11s found the location of the Germans in a town. They were clearly following the manual on camouflage in an urban environment. We circled and dove around the town amidst the desultory flak bursts looking for them. We couldn't find them! I thoroughly enjoyed this. Seemed most realistic. The 109s never showed up, thankfully. Quite a contrast from the frantic action in IL-2. Drole de guerre.

leitmotiv
06-21-2007, 02:39 AM
MAW still has CFS3's no temperature change regardless of rpm---whoops! Big point loss here!

http://forums.netwings.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8580

Note their arrogant claim to be a "simulator" as opposed to IL-2 and BOB2 when MAW can't model engine temperature change---methinks these guys are riding for fall (something I notice frequently about modded games---the modders really think they don't need the users...curious).

reisen52
06-21-2007, 09:31 AM
MAW still has CFS3's no temperature change regardless of rpm---whoops! Big point loss here!

http://forums.netwings.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8580
Note their arrogant claim to be a "simulator" as opposed to IL-2 and BOB2 when MAW can't model engine temperature change---

You might want to look at the developers responce.

jamesdietz
06-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Seriously to those who have already downloaded the first version of this and have been playing it...
( First a note I have CFS3 but got it only to play Over Flanders Field...have never played with it in its out of the box mode after hearing what a terrible sim it is....so I have no experience on it at all,but years with Il-2...)
This looks pretty good in the various screenshots & tracks I've seen , but will you guys give me an honest opinion...is it as good as Il-2FB/PF..in other words is it worth the download? Is game play & graphics as good ?What about FPS( I only have a 5800 graphics card...)Is it buggy or have a lot of CTD's?
In other words is this worth the download and redoing keystrokes etc. ,or will I find myself back with Il-2 in a week.
After struggling with BoBII ,and finding my pc just barely up to the task , I'd like to try this sim as well, but not if its not worth the effort..
Inquiring minds.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

BoF_Gerfaut
06-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Yep Reisen, for this is CFS3 engine to be blamed, not MAWers who have to live with it.
I'm happy you guys realized that Alx was joking, because he's a cool fellow who's everything but arrogant.

@jamesdietz : just feel free for giving MAW a try or not. At least, you're lucky enough to have the choice !

leitmotiv
06-21-2007, 10:08 AM
JD, we'll have to see when they release the new version. The current version is great as far as I am concerned, but, to get the most out of it, you will need a good rig. Mine is good, but it is borderline for MAW. Be advised, any "flight sim" which can't model engine temp changes will not be as good as IL-2, and that is that.

Yes, I read and participated in the thread (I'm "Hurricane1"), but they should not make derogatory comparisons to IL-2 and BOB2 when they can't do the engine temp. Yes, they definitely do some things better than IL-2. As everybody knows, I am not a fanatical IL-2 booster, but let us keep everything in perspective; IL-2 is a magnum opus, and MAW is very good.

BoF_Gerfaut
06-21-2007, 10:35 AM
IL-2 is a magnum opus, and MAW is very good.

Very honestly, I don't bother comparing both games. The only significant thing for me is that CFS3 grants new a/c, vehicles and theaters to be added whereas IL-2 doesn't.

If I'm not satisfied with IL-2, I just can fill the ORR with whinings : "please Oleg do this, dear Oleg do that !"... whereas if I'm not satisfied with CFS3, I just shut up & kick my own *** for getting things improved like I want them to be.
No French aircraft in CFS3 ? Okay, let's move our asses and design them !

You know, that's all the question between proprietary and open architectures, not only a question of temperature to be properly taken into account or not...

Cheers !

reisen52
06-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by BoF_Gerfaut:
Yep Reisen, for this is CFS3 engine to be blamed, not MAWers who have to live with it.

CFS2 did not have engine temps either till the 1% team added it in. I think right now on the CFS3 planes with WEP if you push it continiously to long you will lose the engine.

Bottom line is according to the Gospel by UBI/Zoo Chapter I verse II its impossiable to have a spin happen in CFS3.

Now we have guys complaing the CFS3 spins are too severe. I don't see why we will not be complaining the engines overheat to fast in the future.

Anyway, as you say, heat or not they are giving us planes you can't get anyplace else even after 5 years of begging on this forum.

msalama
06-21-2007, 03:03 PM
You know, that's all the question between proprietary and open architectures, not only a question of temperature to be properly taken into account or not...

Yep, but far as I've heard CFS3 has a problem w/ online cheaters whereas IL-2 does not. Y'know, all the question between etc. etc. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

But don't get me wrong still. I think you guys have done a tremendous work w/ MAW & I'll definitely get it - plus buy CFS3 - when it's released, so ain't nothing going but the big S! to youse geezers right here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Engine temp effects missing - a baddie, sure, but don't you get off yer a*ses and claim that IL-2 doesn't have any http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

msalama
06-21-2007, 03:04 PM
I think right now on the CFS3 planes with WEP if you push it continiously to long you will lose the engine.

OK, that's good to hear.

reisen52
06-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by msalama:Yep, but far as I've heard CFS3 has a problem w/ online cheaters whereas IL-2 does not.

Thats an urban myth like you can't spin CFS3 planes created by guys who have never flown it on-line.

Can someone cheat maybe, but is it easy no...have I seen someone cheat when I use to fly it, no.

If the planes do not match the program will not allow them into the on-line game, period. This mis-match checking thing was so severe the it really took a bite out of the on-line side of CFS3 because of its flexability & guys making changes they though did not matter.

Games were very hard to establish because of failed matching checks.

The MAW guys have said in testing pure downloads they will match up with any other pure downlaod & they have been posting a lot of pictures from thier on-line flights.

Once someone changes something (like adding 1 extra round of ammo) you will fail the test & not get into the game.

The recomendation is a multi install one pure MAW as downloaded & another to add aditional planes or make other changes you would like.

Skycat_2
06-21-2007, 07:42 PM
Riesen is very correct about the cheating problem being more myth than fact. I got CFS-3 the day it was released in my town; by then there were already a couple of user-made fixes to the stock plane FMs. In particular, I recall that Len Hjmarlson (?) discovered that the Fw190 had significantly too little ammo for its machine guns, so he released a modded file that had the historic ammunition load. Anyhow, I downloaded those mid-week and then tried to join a closed dogfight room with two buddies ... my modded Fw190 file and a couple of modified FM files kept me from being able to join. It wasn't until I restored to the stock files that I could join in. If I recall correctly, everybody's files must match the host of the room (or at least whomever was the person who initiated the mission).

Seriously to those who have already downloaded the first version of this and have been playing it...will you guys give me an honest opinion...is it as good as Il-2FB/PF..in other words is it worth the download? Is game play & graphics as good ?What about FPS( I only have a 5800 graphics card...)Is it buggy or have a lot of CTD's?
In other words is this worth the download and redoing keystrokes etc. ,or will I find myself back with Il-2 in a week.
"Worth the download" is relative to your expectations. First, remember that at MAW's core is CFS-3. Gameplay is similar, and many of the original strengths and weaknesses exist. Is it as good as IL-2? For the most part, no ... but CFS-3 (and MAW by default) has pretty cool SFX that makes it enjoyable in its own right. Second, when you take into consideration that the MAW team is delivering a lot of content at no charge to the user, you can't argue that it isn't worth the money to try it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Actually, I'm very impressed by the quality of what is in MAW because it is a a 'not for profit' endeavor ... I don't know how else to word that.

There are some buggy aspects to MAW besides the semi-completed cockpits, no engine temperature, and whatever issues caused it to be temporarily shelved. CTDs aren't a problem in my experience, however. It does seem to me, however, that weapon and damage values are inconsistent ... many soft targets seem to not have a DM for example, but then again marksmanship is pretty tough in CFS-3 so maybe I'm just missing a lot. The Gladiator or Swordfish (I can't remember which) that I repeatedly blasted at with my Bf109E must have been skinned in Kevlar.

MAW isn't perfect but it is pretty good, considering it is a total mod. I'm perfectly content just flying around some of the fighters for sight-seeing right now. I said before that the Bf109E is worth the download alone; if you don't have FS9 and Shockwave's WWII Fighters Special Edition pack (or FSX and the Solo Online series), this is the next best thing.

Finally, MAW delivers a region of the globe and a package of planes that have been largely ignored in combat flight sims. I see this as a companion to the full IL-2 series. And if the second and third chapters of MAW have versions of the P-38, P-47, P-51, etc. that approach or match the quality the Bf109E, I'll be in 7th Heaven. Here's to hoping for a combat capable P-47N. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

msalama
06-22-2007, 12:38 AM
Largely a myth? Well I stand corrected then.

leitmotiv
06-22-2007, 04:34 AM
To be able to tear around the Med in a big, bad predatory, torp-armed Sparviero looking for merchants is a kick. Ditto tearing around in a Breguet 693 or a Potez 63.11 looking for truck trade. Wish they had the beast Breda 88, or a Skua, but oh well. I'm enjoying myself even if I can't burn up my motors at high revs. You do have to behave yourself when dropping bombs. You can't be pulling Gs and lob your ordnance out of the bomb-bay like you can in IL-2. Takes adjustment to reality! One of my favorite IL-2 unreal maneuvers was the notorious last second major adjustment which often sent a stick of bombs flying 100m off my line of flight. Can't do that in MAW---you get "denial of service."

reisen52
06-22-2007, 09:32 AM
I'm enjoying myself even if I can't burn up my motors at high revs.

I don't really have the problem with engine heat you do since WEP will bring me down if I abuse it.

My main gripe in engine managemnet & what I think is a bigger issue is the loss of fuel tank selection & thier effect on CoG. In CFS2 you had to watch your fuel loads & waht tanks were feeding the engine as CoG was changed as ammo & fuel were consumed.

This is another thing that was to be brought back in CFS4 that got dumped (no pun intended) in the rush to get CFS3 out for the Christmas buying season.

leitmotiv
06-22-2007, 11:29 AM
I can't wait to see how it plays after they fix it up with the new download.

BoF_Gerfaut
06-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by reisen52:

Once someone changes something (like adding 1 extra round of ammo) you will fail the test & not get into the game.

The recomendation is a multi install one pure MAW as downloaded & another to add aditional planes or make other changes you would like.

Couldn't be more crystal than this !

reisen52
06-23-2007, 09:42 AM
Posted on the MAW site today:

"We have finished to check and fix all the problems found. Now we will assemble the new installer, make a good check to see if it works properly and then release. A little more patience. Thanks.

In the meantime you can enjoy the great video Battle of Alam al Halfa by Flyby/Pedigree Chum."

leitmotiv
06-23-2007, 09:45 AM
To borrow from the title of a Derek Robinson novel: a damn good show.

reisen52
06-24-2007, 11:39 AM
From SimHq

"BEAR - AvHistory

Loc: NC, USA

The QA guys have version 1.1 now & are doing the final set of testing. If all goes well it should be out in a week.

Edited by BEAR - AvHistory ( 50 minutes 49 seconds ago)"

VMF-214_HaVoK
06-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Now this is cool. http://www.medairwar.com/maw/films/strafing_ammo_ship.wmv

reisen52
06-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Message on the MAW site

http://www.medairwar.com

Install package for release 1.10 is under testing. If everything goes well we should be able to release this week end.

http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&...42940&page=1&fpart=2 (http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2242940&page=1&fpart=2)

Also a nice in game picture of Ju-52's dropping paratroops on Crete.

Edit: Those Ju-57's are really Ju-52's http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

LStarosta
06-25-2007, 12:08 PM
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

reisen52
06-26-2007, 07:19 PM
I don't remember seeing this page before, but its pretty cool.

http://www.medairwar.com/maw/features.htm

woofiedog
06-26-2007, 10:50 PM
BoF_Gerfaut & reisen52... Thank's for the updates. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

jamesdietz
06-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Please please please make it an easy install...please?

leitmotiv
06-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Yeh. This new version is going to have Blenheim IVs. Good-O.

reisen52
06-27-2007, 02:40 PM
I copied these from the new features section on the MAW site. Some really amazing stuff with both sides trying to light the other up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://www.medairwar.com/maw/uni/nig-05b.jpg

http://www.medairwar.com/maw/uni/nig-04b.jpg

leitmotiv
06-27-2007, 11:27 PM
That's all that was missing in the first version---searchlights and flares. This one will be great!

Feathered_IV
06-28-2007, 12:43 AM
Nice! It has to be said that CFS3 does night ops far better than the Il-2 series ever has.

leitmotiv
06-28-2007, 12:58 AM
I believe this is the work of the 1% fellows. They did a package for European night bombing with flares, searchlights, and flak which I could not figure out how to intall into CFS3. Their tremendous research has been incorporated into MAW. The night flak is deadly---it has smashed my Wellingtons and Swordfish. Can't fly low.

reisen52
06-28-2007, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:Can't fly low.

About flying low.

I was reading that they are also introducing a new type low broken cloud layer that when mixed with night actions (flares, searchlights) really gives some great visual effects of reflections off the clouds.

It also makes for a lot of pilot workload to find & target the mission objectives through the broken clouds.

The post had a very good picture of the attack on the Italian fleet but I did not save the post & can't find it again - DUH!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

leitmotiv
06-28-2007, 07:15 AM
In the handling of atmospheric effects, and the real tools of night bombing, like flares, which everybody else has ignored, MAW is second to none. I am really looking forward to this piece de resistance.

reisen52
06-28-2007, 02:21 PM
In the handling of atmospheric effects, and the real tools of night bombing, like flares, which everybody else has ignored, MAW is second to none. I am really looking forward to this piece de resistance.

This was posted at netwings by a Desert Rat today, they must be reading your mail. Check the plane type.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r227/corpse_grinder1977/Shot06-26-07-21-31-07.jpg

leitmotiv
06-28-2007, 02:46 PM
This is the purest torture!

reisen52
06-29-2007, 08:25 PM
Copied this from netwings..helps to explain why MAW has so much maw then CFS3.

"RCAF_Gunner

While waiting for the MAW game to launch for the very first time (you know, when it has to build all those pesky little BDP files) and thinking "this is taking a long time" I started looking at the numbers and realized "no wonder!". It's a BIG game compared to the original CFS3. I thought I post some numbers since I know everyone can always use a little more trivia:

CFS 3.1a vs MAW 1.10

Map width: 862.4 NM vs 1046.4 NM
Directory size: 1.52 GB vs 4.67 GB
Folders: 527 vs 3,303
Files: 5,858 vs 18,475
Player flyable aircraft liveries: 34 vs 191

With over triple the number of files, it's no wonder it takes a fair bit longer to load the very first time. I guess the old saying applies:

"Good things come to those who wait"."

leitmotiv
06-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Wow. By the way, I was able to pretty much burn up a Hurricane I's motor by hard climbing at full throttle, and without even breaking the wire to full boost (WEP). So, MAW doesn't give a free pass on engine abuse even without using WEP.

jamesdietz
06-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Slightly OT:This is the first time I've tried CFS3 out of the box while in anticipating MAW ( I bought it some time ago to play Over Flanders Field a WW-1 sim) and I must join the chorus of those who can hardly believe this crude sim was released from Microsoft.I have heard that with all the downloads now available it has come some ways from this rough beginning..true? Some of the aircraft interiors ( like the Ju-88..) have more in common with the earliest of flight sims than say the beauties that have come out in Il-2 series...its almost unbelievable.I haven't flown it enough ( & probaly won't until MAW is downloadable) to comment on flight modelling .AI performance etc.but it doesn't seem to be as smooth as Il-2 or as dynamic as BoB2 ( with all its downloads now.) I can only wonder about its missions & campaigns....? What I wonder about is the almost complete lack of improving patches ( for planes , skins, maps etc .etc. from Microsoft...its like they made an attempt & completely forgot about it.
I really am spoiled by Oleg...I'm here to tell you!
Fingers crossed for MAW!

jamesdietz
06-30-2007, 06:27 PM
By the way MAW is here...downloading now...hopefully done by a week from Tuesday!
Will someone help me understand circular doo-hickey with blue & red dots on the top left side of the screen...can it be disabled? And can I disable "damage reports" script on the top of the page?Very annoying!

reisen52
06-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Will someone help me understand circular doo-hickey with blue & red dots on the top left side of the screen...can it be disabled? And can I disable "damage reports" script on the top of the page?Very annoying!

Circle is a top down (nose of the plane is pointing at the top) gods eye view of targets, boggy, friendlies, aircraft, vehicles, installations, airfields etc.Red is bad guys blue is good guys, black is dead & other color, can't remember is unidentified.

If there is a line in it that's a waypoint navigation line. SHF T turns it on & off. T toggles through the various display categories. CTL SHF T adjusts range.

Damage messages toggle with the SHF D

reisen52
07-26-2007, 12:06 PM
MAW patch is getting ready to go in a few weeks, mid August. They are putting out some screen shots of the new planes.

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/8944/grab003avl9.jpg

Caption says that AvHistory/1% has both the leading edge thingies & the normal flaps modeled in the flight package to make a true STOL aircraft.

http://forums.netwings.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9334

leitmotiv
07-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Lysander, wonderful. Leading edge slats was what you were seeking.

mbfRoy
07-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Will the rear gunner shoot through the aircraft or will it be possible to open the rear canopy to fire?

reisen52
07-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by mbfRoy:
Will the rear gunner shoot through the aircraft or will it be possible to open the rear canopy to fire?

http://home.nc.rr.com/reisen52/lygun.jpg

mbfRoy
07-27-2007, 03:23 AM
Awesome, great picture!