PDA

View Full Version : eccentricities

altairego
05-05-2008, 08:36 AM
having played this game a few times i started noticing a peculiar thing: altair covers up his left hand with his right when praying or simply sitting on the bench. I checked to make sure that this was not some random glitch and lo and behold it ain't! Every single time, right goes over the left
what's up with that?

BlairCullen02
05-05-2008, 08:38 AM
He might be hiding his switchblade, you know, the noticeable bit.

altairego
05-05-2008, 08:41 AM
might be hiding the missing half of the finger too -- not every day you see a 9.5 fingered man walking around.
which makes me wonder which fingers we can really live without? not without the middle one, that's for sure http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

BlairCullen02
05-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Altaír has half a finger? When did this happen?

altairego
05-05-2008, 08:49 AM
look at his left hand -- his ring finger is missing, part of intitiation into the brotherhood. and hidden blade sort of replaces it. i thought you knew http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

BlairCullen02
05-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Oh my God, I actually never knew that. Well I guess that just about sums it up, now that his blade acts as a finger. Are you not allowed to be married in the Creed?

altairego
05-05-2008, 08:58 AM
um...
i have no idea. this question has been discussed elsewhere but since assassins were muslims they did not have need of rings.
man is married to the clan is the general idea from other discussions i've seen. i think altair needs to become a bit less arrogant before getting THAT business out of the way -- just listen to him at start of game "watch long enought and you might learn something". christ! wanted to kill him right there.

BlairCullen02
05-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Although, come to think of it, the Informers speak of their wives and children....

I am still unsure.

altairego
05-05-2008, 09:07 AM
the informers can have families. they also have their fingers, all of them. maybe because they're not full assassins (although some of them say they're not as good as they used to be with weapons). altair was an Assassin Instructor, like way at the top of the ladder. in too deep i would think.
but then who are the informers? failed assassins or just a branch of the Brotherhood?

ScytheOfGrim
05-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Chances are it's just a random design choice.

But if you want to get all human and logical over it, then I would guess that it's because two of the three cities that Altair visits are Islamic.

And in Islam right is always favored over left.
You shake hands with your right.
You pray with your right hand over your left.
You wash your right hand, arm and feet before the left in ablution.

You choose... it's either one of the two...

BlairCullen02
05-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by ScytheOfGrim:
Chances are it's just a random design choice.

But if you want to get all human and logical over it, then I would guess that it's because two of the three cities that Altair visits are Islamic.

And in Islam right is always favored over left.
You shake hands with your right.
You pray with your right hand over your left.
You wash your right hand, arm and feet before the left in ablution.

You choose... it's either one of the two...

Hmm, that's quite useful, I never knew that.

ScytheOfGrim
05-05-2008, 10:02 AM
And now you do! ^_^

Bobfish_Almight
05-05-2008, 10:28 AM
You have to remember that the exchange of rings is more of a Christian thing. Different faiths and creeds have differing rituals around marriage. Binding of the hands, dancing around the maypole, jumping of a rope. For every group of people the world has known there are probably dozens of unique and highly personal practices to consider

FYTJ
05-05-2008, 10:30 AM
In christian religion right is also generally preferred. I'm an atheist now but when I wasn't I was taught to put my left in my right hand during eucharisty because they right hand is the "carrying and protecting one".

Bobfish_Almight
05-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by FYTJ:
In christian religion right is also generally preferred. I'm an atheist now but when I wasn't I was taught to put my left in my right hand during eucharisty because they right hand is the "carrying and protecting one".

/agree

The left hand is often referenced as the devils hand as well

altairego
05-05-2008, 12:31 PM
so what if you're left handed?
all hell breaks loose i think, although they could try and TEACH you to use the right hand

Jack_Vykios
05-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by altairego:
so what if you're left handed?
all hell breaks loose i think, although they could try and TEACH you to use the right hand That is actually what they did.
Victorian schools, at least, would punish students for trying to use their left hands instead of their right, and since the general rule is that things were less civilized before then, it doesn't stretch the imagination to assume they did it before then, as well.

altairego
05-05-2008, 12:40 PM
another eccentricity: why do the saracen guards always call altair a heretic?
is it because assassins were muslim?

moqqy
05-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Assassins weren't really muslims.. they were Nizari Ismailis. Which is pretty far away from the normal muslim faith, and that's why they call him a heretic

Bobfish_Almight
05-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by moqqy:
Assassins weren't really muslims.. they were Nizari Ismailis. Which is pretty far away from the normal muslim faith, and that's why they call him a heretic

Yeah, and if memory serves I believe that during the time of the Crusades the mainstream of the Muslim faith had decided a life of none-aggression was the best way to proceed. The Hash i Ashin obviously deviated from that path and were often accused of needlessly agrravating the Crusaders.

moqqy
05-06-2008, 09:24 AM
The assassins rarely attacked the crusaders, their targets were mainly muslims..

And what's up with the Hash i Ashin..? Call them by their proper name:P

Bobfish_Almight
05-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Murderers?

moqqy
05-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Yes, that's better

Bobfish_Almight
05-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Yay, I get a Bobby snack http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

BlairCullen02
05-06-2008, 12:08 PM
I talked to Lucy today, and when she said "Have faith" and placed her hand on her chest, Desmond realised that she was missing half a finger.

And I also realised that Al Mualim has all perfect fingers. Strange?

Kaxen6
05-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by BlairCullen02:
I talked to Lucy today, and when she said "Have faith" and placed her hand on her chest, Desmond realised that she was missing half a finger.

And I also realised that Al Mualim has all perfect fingers. Strange?

Lucy just bent her finger back. She has all her fingers in all other scenes.

>_> no one is missing fingers except Altair.