PDA

View Full Version : Saitek x52..opinions?

noobis_maximus
04-20-2005, 10:43 AM
What do you guys think of this joystick?? Any good?? I was thinking of getting it but I didnt know for sure..lot of money to decide on here...also, I dont have track IR but I read that you can use the mouse controller on the throttle to control head movement..this would be very very beneficial for me since I dont have the track IR..is this true?

Chivas
04-20-2005, 10:57 AM
I could be a very good stick but be carefull. Buy it from a store you can easily replace or return. Make sure you buy one of the later models. The earlier model had a set deadzone in firmware that could not be adjusted. Go to the Saitek x52 forum for more info. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

no not again
04-20-2005, 01:18 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

JunkoIfurita
04-20-2005, 06:21 PM
I have the X52, and do use the the virtual mouse to control head movement (coupled with one of the POV hats for flicking back to centre). It's not bad, not perfect but not bad.

You'll need to turn the sensitivity up a bit (in the SST software), otherwise you'll have a hell of a time tracking after moving targets. I don't use padlock, but I imagine padlock, coupled with the virtual mouse, would make quite a good setup.

But the thumbstick is no substite for a TrackIR (I don't have one, but I've had a go with one before). Two reasons - the first being that the location of the virtual mouse stick on the throttle is in cognitively awry location - it's on the right hand side, so to look 'up', you have to pull your thumb to the left, back for looking left, foward for looking right. Secondly, a TrackIR frees movement up from your hand-eye coordination - when you're using a thumbstick to look around, you're also using your hands to control the aircraft, so you may find that you end up tilting sideways inadvertantly when you look left, etc. That's a big problem if you fly with a squadron and spend a lot of time flying in formation.

I'm intending to pick up a TrackIR as soon as I can get the money together, but until then the X52s thumbstick is a relatively decent substitute.

Also, I own a X52 with a deadzone-ridden firmware - while I'd much rather have it replaced (bad retailer, I can't), I have tweaked it to a pretty acceptable standard using the in-game axis sliders.

----