PDA

View Full Version : Save Game Problems....

NetisRothery
01-03-2006, 02:51 AM
I just got hold of the game... Installed fine, and started fine, except that it started in direbo right in front of the pedestal for Noloben.... So I go looking for menu, find the 'x' in the top right corner and click main menu, but instead of taking me to any menu, it restarts the game....

Fine by me... I start playing get past the Great Shaft and quit, and next time I start it up, instead of being in Laki'ahn, I'm back in Direbo in front of the pedestal for Noloben!

Can someone PLEASE tell me what is going on??

Heimdall_G
01-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Suggestions:

1. Under Win XP, game saves are in \Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Myst V End of Ages\Sav\Store1. Journal saves are in \Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Myst V End of Ages\Sav\Store1\Journal\images.

While the game is automatically saved when you exit, you should save during the game by clicking on the camera, the shiny blue sphere in the upper right corner of the screen. Then, you can go back to the place where you did a save by clicking on the rust-red book next to the camera and selecting a save.

Save often! I've ended up with about 80 saves each time I've completed EoA.

2. Start EoA, then click on NEW instead of on CONTINUE. If Player 1 is entitled "Corrupted":
-- a. Close all open applications, then open a Windows Explorer session.
-- b. Go to your \Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Myst V End of Ages\Sav\Store1 folder. Your save subfolders will be sequentially numbered, the highest number being the latest/newest save.
-- b. Open the latest save subfolder.
-- c. Delete or rename the .data file of the Age in which you were playing, the last time you saved (not quit) the game.
-- d. Close Windows Explorer back to the Desktop, and play EoA.

If that doesn't help, or if you don't remember which Age you were in the last time you saved:
-- b. Go to your \Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Myst V End of Ages\Sav\Store1 folder.
-- b. Delete or rename the latest/newest (highest number) save subfolder.
-- c. Close Windows Explorer back to the Desktop, and play EoA.

If Player 1 is still entitled "Corrupted", delete or rename the current newest save subfolder.

3. Re-install EoA from a clean boot as detailed in Myst V: Clean Boot Install/Re-install With Win XP (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3471054943/m/6171031163).

rmailley
01-23-2006, 08:10 PM
I have completed the game. I saved the game before I picked up the tablet. However, the game must have autosaved just as I made my decision on what to do with the tablet. Now when I go back to continue the game to see what the other endings are I cannot as I no longer have the tablet. How can I reinstate the game to my saved position? When I go back in I do not have any controls (camera, books, tools, exit) in the upper right corner.

I am running XP and appreciate your detailed instructions, however, I cannot find my saved games. I have searched and am unable to find the local settings\application data\myst v end of ages\sav\store1 path.

I am thankful for any help you can offer.

Alahmnat
01-23-2006, 08:49 PM
Make sure you have enabled the option to view hidden files and folders in the Options->Folder Options menu.

Heimdall_G
01-24-2006, 04:09 PM
Also, make certain you're looking for \Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Myst V End of Ages\Sav\Store1 and not just \local settings\application data\myst v end of ages\sav\store1.

If all else fails, use Windows Explorer to search for "Store1" (without the quotes) on all of your hard disks.
-- b. On the top taskbar, click on Tools > Find > Files or Folders.
-- c. Type Store1 in the Named: box.
-- d. Click on the arrow at the right end of the Look in: box and then click on the disk drive to be searched.
-- e. Click on Find Now to start the search.

Since you no longer have the controls in the upper right corner of the screen, it's possible that EoA has been corrupted somehow. Which corruption is likely due to one or more applications and processes (or whatever nasties they might have installed) running in the background, or other malware like a virus or trojan infestation. Simply visiting some Internet sites can give you the creeping crud! Try the following:

1. Use your anti-virus software to do a complete, in-depth scan of your hard disk(s). This is the 'start it and let it crank' type of scan, not the bootup quickie!

2. Do complete, in-depth spyware and adware scans of your hard disk(s). I regularly use and recommend all of:
-- Spybot - Search & Destroy (http://spybot.safer-networking.de/en/download/index.html) - free version available
-- Ad-aware SE (http://lavasoft.element5.com/software/) - free version available
-- Spyware Doctor (http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/) - free scan available
-- PestPatrol (http://www.pestpatrol.com) - free scan available

3. Check your hard disk(s) for errors. Refer to How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp). Close all running programs before starting the error check, and tell Windows to automatically fix file system errors. Another option is Norton SystemWorks 2006's Disk Doctor (http://www.symantec.com/sabu/sysworks/basic/).

4. Clear your Internet Explorer caches.
-- a. Close all open applications.
-- b. Open a single Internet Explorer session.
-- c. Click on Tools > Internet Options.
-- d. Click on Delete Cookies > OK.
-- e. Click on Delete Files (check the 'Delete all offline content' box) > OK.
-- f. Click on Clear History > Yes.
-- g. Click on OK to exit.

Use Windows Explorer to search all hard disks and partitions for \temp, \tmp, and \temporary folders, and delete any files in these folders that aren't currently in use. If Windows complains when you try to delete a file, leave that file alone!
-- a. Click on Tools > Find > Files or Folders.
-- b. Type temp or tmp or temporary in the Named: box.
-- c. Click on the arrow at the right end of the Look in: box and then click on the disk drive to be searched.
-- d. Click on Find Now to start the search.
-- e. Click on the temp (or tmp or temporary) folders found to open them.
-- f. Delete any files in these folders that aren't currently in use.

5. Then, after completing steps 1 through 4, re-install EoA from a clean boot as detailed in Myst V: Clean Boot Install/Re-install With Win XP (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3471054943/m/6171031163).

aiapaec
02-25-2006, 11:33 PM
I have exactly the same problem:

"I just got hold of the game... Installed fine, and started fine, except that it started in direbo right in front of the pedestal for Noloben.... So I go looking for menu, find the 'x' in the top right corner and click main menu, but instead of taking me to any menu, it restarts the game....

Fine by me... I start playing get past the Great Shaft and quit, and next time I start it up, instead of being in Laki'ahn, I'm back in Direbo in front of the pedestal for Noloben!

Can someone PLEASE tell me what is going on??"

In my PC there any "Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Myst V End of Ages\Sav\Store1", and I am REALLY sure.

Its strange, the game starts in the same place that the DEMO, and every time that I run Myst V, a Myst V Demo folder appear in my Aplication Data folder, I think that the problem is with the Demo, but I have desintalled it already!

Any knows how to fix the problem?

Heimdall_G
02-26-2006, 10:10 AM
There won't be a \Store1 subfolder until you use the Camera to do saves. The Camera is the shiny blue globe in the upper right corner of the screen, third icon from the right.
-- a. If you're in the mode in which the screen view follows mouse movement, right-click to lock the view.
-- b. Move the cursor to the upper right corner of the screen. The line of icons should appear.
-- c. Click on the Camera to save your game progress to date.
-- d. You can go back to the places where you did saves, with all game progress up to that point intact, by clicking on the rust-red book next to the Camera and selecting the desired save.

You should have uninstalled the Demo as follows:
-- a. Log into Windows with full Administrator privileges, and close any open applications.
-- b. Click on Start > Control Panel, then double-click Add or Remove Programs.
-- c. In the Currently installed programs box, click on the Myst V Demo entry.
-- d. Click on Change (or Change/Remove).
-- e. If prompted to confirm the removal of the program, click Yes.
-- f. Close Control Panel back to the Desktop, and reboot.

aiapaec
03-01-2006, 04:12 AM
I have unistalled the demo right, weeks ago. But the game doesn't save any game. I have used the camera, bot any picture is in my journal! I thinks its a problem with the Myst V Demo... is there any savegame at the beggining that I can use? Layfe if I create a folder by myself...

help!

Heimdall_G
03-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Try re-installing EoA from a clean boot, as detailed under '6. Clean-boot EoA Re-install, Previous Installation' in Myst V: Clean Boot Install/Re-install With Win XP (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3471054943/m/6171031163).