PDA

View Full Version : I-16 engine failure.

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 01:15 AM
Everybody knows that the engine of this a/c fails under certain G forces, but in the game if the engine fails sometimes arrives a moment you don´t have anymore power, is there any solution?

Thanks

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 01:15 AM
Everybody knows that the engine of this a/c fails under certain G forces, but in the game if the engine fails sometimes arrives a moment you don´t have anymore power, is there any solution?

Thanks

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 01:19 AM
You have to land at an airfield. Then you can re~start.

Same with I~153.

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 04:28 AM
I usually play with complex engine management turned off. Soemeimes when my I-16/I-153 engine cuts, if I quickly hit "autopilot" the AI somehow gets the motor started again in the air. I know, I know, this is all cheating, but I'm a dummy, OK?

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 04:39 AM
I forgot about that. Thanks. And no, its not cheating, as we simmers are crippled by lack of knowledge of how our aircraft perform in computer code, while real pilots had instructors. Is this engine flame out in the manual?

Message Edited on 06/27/0303:41AM by LEXX_Luthor

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 04:49 AM
LEXX_Luthor wrote:
- You have to land at an airfield. Then you can
- re~start.
-
- Same with I~153.
-
-

to land???? why that? hit engine start key and go on!

why land??

<center>http://www.bloggerheads.com/mash_quiz/images/mash_hawkeye.jpg (http://www.bloggerheads.com/mash_quiz/)</center>

--
D.Schilling aka BaDCaRMa

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 05:09 AM
Restarting in air by just hitting the start engine key? It's never worked that way for me?

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 05:15 AM
~hi~

Apparently, some aircraft needed special equipment to get started, equipment you only find where they fly the aircraft from.

This may be related to the fact that I~16 is one of a small number of FB aircraft that will *not* takeoff except on FB airfields.

I~16
I~153
Ju~87
He~111
He~162
Me~262
Fiat G~50
Me~323

All others will start their engines and takeoff even if you drag their takeoff waypoint far from an airfield. Its really sweet too, if you got 4 taking off on a flat plain (no forests) or even river/lake ice, they all take off side by side, together.

EDIT:: But you gotta use the FB Mission Editor to create these takeoff waypoints, a good start to creating your own massive missions.

Message Edited on 06/27/0304:17AM by LEXX_Luthor

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 05:32 AM
The I-16 and the I-153 both required equipment like a Hucks starter truck to turn the prop and get them going. Picture a big swinging catupult like device mounted on a truck to start the prop spinning.

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 05:40 AM
the interesting thing is that in a dive the prop should auto-rotate fast enough to restart the engine if fuel is available and magnetoes are on

be good if that was modelled if it was historically possible http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 05:52 AM
Salute

This bug also affects the P-47, or any other aircraft whose mixture can be reduced below 100%.

It is impossible to restart them in the air, despite the fact that the propellor is spinning easily fast enough to turn over the engine.

The problem particularly affects planes which have carbs affected by zero gravity, like the I-16, I-153 and Hurricane I. These also cannot be restarted in the air.

However, land on an airfield, or even a pasture, and you will instantly be able to restart the engine on any of these aircraft.

It's a bug which needs to be fixed.

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 05:57 AM
LEXX_Luthor wrote:
- You have to land at an airfield. Then you can
- re~start.
-
- Same with I~153.

you don't need an airfield (not ingame atleast) just land them anywhere and you will be able hit restart the engine. it worked for me. once i lost my I-16 engine and following that i made a emergy landing in the field. just for the hell of it i tried to restart my engine and i was a bit surprised that it worked. so i took off again to join the fight for the second time.

<Center>Wouter
flying online as Buster82, you better watch your six/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<Center>
<Center>http://www.km011a0004.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fokkerg.jpg <CENTER>

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 06:03 AM
I agree it's a bug. Such planes did in fact have fuel starvation engine cut-outs during negative G's but once
pos G is re-established, the engines should restart automatically if the props are still windmilling. And they would windmill until the plane reached very slow speed, you should not even need to be in a dive. And of course the Magnetos are both switched on, which they would be since nobody would switch them off. Or really if only one magneto was switched on. All older planes that use mag ignition have two for redundancy.
Another bug directly related is that the starvation occurs
too easily. I have descended into lower, bumpy air in the I-153 and had the engine cut-out just from the little "giggle"
that the bumps caused. Very unrealistic since in that situation the neg G's would not last long enough to cause
a problem. In the same plane, I've also had engine cut-out due to hitting bumps on the runway during take-off. This is ridiculously unrealistic and needs fixed. Hope they ironed this bull-crap out in the upcoming patch!!!

Message Edited on 06/27/0305:06AM by mortoma

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 06:12 AM
I've only been able to restart the I-16's engine anywhere once.

http://www.dodhq.net/~pmf/Seegz/Segal.bmp

There are two kinds of people in this world, those with loaded guns and those who dig. Start digging.

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 06:15 AM
mortoma wrote:
- I agree it's a bug. Such planes did in fact have
- fuel starvation engine cut-outs during negative G's
- but once
- pos G is re-established, the engines should restart
- automatically if the props are still windmilling.
- And they would windmill until the plane reached very
- slow speed, you should not even need to be in a
- dive.

my impression as well ..

There was a warbird mosquito lost in a fatal crash at an airshow in Britain a few years ago. Thing was one engine cutting was bad enough ... throwing the plane into a spiral dive. The pilot actually handled that OK ... it was the dead engine restartingat nearly full throttle when he was trimmed up for asymmetric flight at low altitude that apparently killed him.

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 08:33 AM
Ouch WTE, that hurts.

I just Geed out my I~16 engine, glided down, and nope could not start. Maybe we have different releaces of code in our FBs.

How do you all start your I~16 engines after landing engine off?

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 08:51 AM
Hey , In a few of the above cases i have managed to restart the plane mid air, heres how i do it.

Dive, get the props turning as fast as they can, drop the magneto back to 1 , hit the start key (I)

In some cases, this restarts the engine, set magnetos back to Both, then continue on flying.

Hope it works for you

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 09:02 AM
I-153 can be started just about anywhere on the ground, and it also restarts in a long steep dive. Not sure about the Rata, I don't recall trying to restart either.

Try rolling and then using rudder to pull the nose down.

<font face="Courier New">
&nbspBaldieJr
_____ | _____
_\__(o)__/_
./ \.
Whiners don't play vulchers
(er, winners)
</font>

Cpt.LoneRanger
06-27-2003, 09:39 AM
Right, BaldieJr

Only the I153 can restart engines by just diving, but you have to be fast and lucky!

The I16 can't be started in mid-air and that is modelled correctly, not a bug.

Besides that, it isn't true, that the engine would restart once it's balanced out, since it's the same problem: The I16's engine didn't have anything close to a fuel pump. That's why it fails on negative G and if the engine gets below a certain degree of revolutions, the underpressure to get fuel into the cylinders is just too low.

greets
Cpt.LoneRanger

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 09:58 AM
Cpt.LoneRanger wrote:

- The I16 can't be started in mid-air and that is
- modelled correctly, not a bug.
-
- Besides that, it isn't true, that the engine would
- restart once it's balanced out, since it's the same
- problem: The I16's engine didn't have anything close
- to a fuel pump. That's why it fails on negative G
- and if the engine gets below a certain degree of
- revolutions, the underpressure to get fuel into the
- cylinders is just too low.

Why? If engine have enough revs (as it does in normal flight), it has also fuel pressure. So it should start automatically when there is no negative G´s.

Cpt.LoneRanger
06-27-2003, 11:51 AM
Yes.

IF you're fast enough, you can restart the engine.

BUT

the I16 had a fixed propeller, so think of your car stuck in second gear. You'd have to push very hard and fast to start the motor with this transition!!!

Besides that, a radial engine is a LOT harder to start, than a linear one. Infact, as also stated here, some engines in WW2 were so hard to start, they couldn't be even started by hand, but had to be started with an external engine or something like that!

greets
Cpt.LoneRanger