PDA

View Full Version : switching from a yak3 to p47

deskpilot
07-31-2009, 04:05 PM
2 very different planes, yeah? So how do you best fight in a p47 when you're used to turning and burning in a yak3? I'm trying the p47 27 1944 late I think it's called.
Is it best at highish altitudes, because I also want to do some ground attack.
cheers

AllorNothing117
07-31-2009, 04:28 PM
Hey dad, I saw this post and nearly shouted, "Hey dad, theres some guy on the forum doing exactly what you are."

:s lol

Well, my advice, based on flying the P-38, P-47 and P-51 is....

As we are flying ofline,

- Fly against some bombers first, dead slow targets that won't use the riidiculess AI speed and chase you around the map. The Ki bombers are great to begin with cos they are made of tissue paper, and the guns are crap. Build up to the desired oponant step by step.

- Always attack with a hieght advantges, stay away from quick missions. I recomend at least 1000 meters advantages. It may feel like a bit of a cheat to start with a big advantage, but the AI cheat all the time! And IRL you wouldn't engage anything above 1k below you.

- Boom and Zoom. Make one attack only, then get back up at least 1k above and get ready to make another.

- Experiment with convergence, I like mine a little further away for booming and zooming then Dogfighting. You just aren't behind them for long enough IMO. my dogfighting convergence for wing mounted guns is about 150, but at 150 you have about 0.0000000000000001 of a second before you must manouver away to avoid shunting your victim!

Best of luck, dunno why I realy realy, you'd ask me in person if you wanted to know, i imagine your on here for other peoples advice lol! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif Best of luck, I'll be sure to scrutinise your tracks ^_^ heheh

Freiwillige
07-31-2009, 04:37 PM
Keep your speed high! If in trouble dive! Set your convergence to 274mm which is what the historical p-47 was set up at the factory and most pilots loved it. Do not try to turn aggressively with anybody, instead use your zoom climb and dive to re engage.

K_Freddie
07-31-2009, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Freiwillige:
Set your convergence to 274mm
Only if you want to shoot your engine off.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

DKoor
07-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Better switch to Tempest. If you have a go with allied A/C anyway.
It has cannons meaning that if you hit target it probably wont survive unlike with teh P-47 where you have more difficult gunnery and less potent weapons. Also Tempest is much more friendly, flying wise.

danjama
07-31-2009, 05:52 PM
I also would recommend the Tempest. Performs up to 7000m, but also a beast at ground attack and knife fighting.

BillSwagger
07-31-2009, 06:17 PM
IMO, If you fly the P-47 for ground attack, use its speed in a shallow dive from 4000-5000M.
Take it down to 2000M, and you will be racing along at 800 kph. You can get in, drop your payload, and then zoom climb where enemy fighters can't touch you.

I use the P-47 on occasion to dog fight, but its a huge transition from a Yak. The main difference is how you position your attack run. With a P-47 its always necessary to start higher to gain speed and then use energy tactics that involve a degree of TnB and BnZ, but you will find that in order to keep its speed up it is better to make long swooping yo yos that take advantage of the zoom climb.
Its armament is not very effective beyond 200M, and even less effective beyond 400M.
(i'm not gonna pull out any charts here)but basically the 8 50s are a bit porked, so it can be a bit frustrating if you are used to landing kills with a quick trigger pull from a Spitfire or Yak.

The Tempest is also a good fit for the ground attack roll, but I happen to think the F4U-1c is a just little bit better. It carries the same armament as the Tempest, but has the ability to turn with out losing as much energy.
At least thats my recommendation, because i find the F4U is an easy transition if you fly the P-47 well.

VW-IceFire
07-31-2009, 06:28 PM
Switching from the Yak-3 to anything heavier like the Thunderbolt, Corsair, Mustang, or Tempest means unlearning what you know and learning a whole new style of fighting. The Yak-3 can twist and turn and use its light weight to power its way through almost anything. Its not supremely fast but its fast enough and it rarely gets fast enough to get into trouble.

Any of the ones I've mentioned including the P-47 Thunderbolt have the capacity to go much faster, with much heavier armament, over a far greater distance (larger fuel capacities), but their manoeuvring is more strategic. If you dogfight in any of these heavier types you will likely loose. Instead you need to manage your technique more carefully and pay special attention to your speed. You can loose it nearly instantly or gather so much speed you reach your critical velocity and the plane comes apart much quicker.

Its a worthwhile endeavour but you're in for a bit of a time when you'll be a bit messed up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PanzerAce
08-01-2009, 12:49 AM
Easiest way to think about it probably: Everything you do with the Yak, DON'T do it with the -47 (other than climb)

Friendly_flyer
08-01-2009, 03:55 AM
The strong points of the P-47 is speed and strong build. To capitalize on that, imagine you are "flying" a train on the rails. No sharp turns, plan all movements well in advance.

p1ngu666
08-01-2009, 12:17 PM
fly with a group if possible, and you can set spilt convergance on the guns, and fly fast

general_kalle
08-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by K_Freddie:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Freiwillige:
Set your convergence to 274mm
Only if you want to shoot your engine off.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

lool 274mm http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
go for it i say!