PDA

View Full Version : Taking off from a field.

wintergoose
09-07-2006, 01:11 PM
In a campain I had to take of with a captured Yak from a field.
In front of me a AI Ju 52 took off smoot and fine without a bounce, the same did a AI Stork.
When I tried the Yak I bonsed around as mad and ended on my nose, ewery time I tried a lot belive me.
Is there somting I have missed here? I have no problem taking off from airports.
Are there a speciel tecnic to use outside airports?

Chuck_Older
09-07-2006, 02:13 PM
Unless a special Test Runway is used, taking off or landing on anything but a real airstrip is very hard to do indeed

In the campaign you're playing, it may be that the mission was made using a version in which this was easier to accomplish, but it has become much more difficult now, or the mission maker made an error in placing a test Runway (which can be invisible and will look like any other field of grass, even having trees on it), which is giving you trouble. Lord knows I've made many mistakes using test runways- and I know how to use them!

Kuna_
09-07-2006, 06:05 PM
What Chuck said... also take note that Yak isn't the world best aircraft for this purpose. It would help if a/c has strong engine, therefore usually shorter runway time. But it's not a rule.

Anyhow drop flaps (try with landing) and firewall the throttle, now, if you press your stick up too early there is no doubt that you'll end up nose-over. Roughly saying little nose up only around 130kp/h and more (on earlier models, on later models that figure is going up a bit). By that time try not to bust your prop. First off, if you can choose, choose 25% fuel, that will make your aircraft to weight less and thus you can be airborne easier. Be awared that your movement radius in that case is really limited to (usually) ~200km in one direction. Also try using 120% mixture as this, said by some Yak flying virtual aces, gives you 'extra' power under I don't know 700-1000m. After that with this setting you'll kill your engine. Bring back to 100% once airborne. You may optionally close radiator as it causes more drag in open setting and loss of speed (I think your setting is closed by default, depending on type later have auto). Trim your machine *prior* your take-off try. To do it properly you must test it before that... what are the ideal trim setting on around 200kp/h...? You may try with locking the tailwheel too (while all three wheels on ground, your aircraft will not jinking all around it will hold one direction, once the third small tailwheel is in the air aircraft will start jinking, as we have locked that small one). Don't expect miracles with this suggestions/ideas those are ways to improve your perfomance by almost non-noticeable margin in your case. But whatever may help even a bit http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

It is hard. But *landing* on open field without messing it up is even harder http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif.

leitmotiv
09-08-2006, 12:47 AM
It is a throw of the dice. Pray you don't hit a gopher hole. I have made a great many unprepared field takeoffs and landings, and, in the end, chance rules.

MucusG
09-08-2006, 08:18 AM
If you've got "no instant success" on and its really starting to get to you then just use autopilot to get into the air.

S`
WTE_MucusG

R988z
09-08-2006, 09:22 AM
If there is a road nearby, try and taxi to that and find a straight bit long enough to get some speed up.

LEBillfish
09-08-2006, 10:27 AM
I do this often...It's difficult until you get a feel for it yet is not that bad even now......

Use flaps, yet keep your tail down with elevator as long as you can. Eventually you'll find you can't, so then ease off slightly, you'll find a bounce will get you up, yet do not try and over control in any axis.

Feathered_IV
09-08-2006, 11:40 PM
Maybe try autopilot for takeoff if its getting you down too http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif