billbridgeman
08-03-2006, 10:08 PM
setting up il2 aep to work with a widecreen monitor

billbridgeman
08-03-2006, 10:08 PM
setting up il2 aep to work with a widecreen monitor

FritzGryphon
08-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Try setting your monitor resolution in the conf.ini.

If that doesn't work by itself, fiddle with the 'saveaspect' and 'toggleresize' values.

Wilburnator
08-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Open your conf.ini file in your FB folder and edit the resolution to whatever your monitor's native resolution is. Then lower down in that same section edit SaveRaspect=1 to read SaveAspect=0.

Here's what mine looks like...

[window]
width=1280
height=768
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=1
EnableResize=1
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0
Use3Renders=0

Note that anytime you run the il2setup.exe it is reset automatically to 800x600 (I think), so even if you make no changes in it, you'll have to re-edit your conf.ini after opening the setup program.

steve_v
08-05-2006, 12:46 PM
If you're trying to run at a native LCD resolution, set ChangeScreenRes=0 as well. This will prevent the game from tying to switch to different resolutions to display the splash screens etc.

Nimits
08-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Here's a question for those who already have them; is there any noticable improvement when playing Pacific Fighters on widescreen?

Wilburnator
08-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Forgotten Battles doesn't really support wide aspect ratio monitors, but if you have a wide monitor or like me, a widescreen flat panel t.v.,and you want to use the entire screen (as in no black bars on either side of the picture) this is how you do it. I thought at first this set up added missing field of view on either side, but as it's been demonstrated here many times with comparative screen shots, it does not. It enlarges the image to fill you screen side to side, while cropping a small amount off the top and bottom. So you actually lose some vertical FOV.

For me this is fine, I don't find the loss of FOV a problem. My monitor is a 30" widescreen t.v., so even at a normal 4:3 aspect ratio things look reasonably big. When running in 16:10 things (like enemy a.c. in your sites) look huge. It's pretty cool.

Nimits
08-06-2006, 10:45 PM
What I mean is, since I tend to design my computers around flight simming in general and Pacific Fighters in particular, would there be any real advantage to buying a 20" or 21" widescreen monitor specifically for use with aforementioned Pacific Fighters, vs buying (somewhat cheaper) standard screen versions?

Wilburnator
08-07-2006, 01:36 AM
No, there would be no advantage. Unless you would regard have more limited vertical field of view an advantage.http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif If you are buying a monitor with only this sim as your primary consideration, the biggest 4:3 monitor you can afford is probably a better choice. I got a wide screen because many popular games now do offer true support for them (GTR, GTL, Counterstrike Source, Quake 4, etc, etc.)

However, I think true wide screen support is planned for BoB. Not sure though.

horseback
08-07-2006, 08:47 PM
I was originally looking at 21" widescreens for my main gaming setup, too. For around $350-$600 USD, there are some very good choices, many which can also be set up to be used as HDTV monitors.

Instead, I saw and immediately bought a 26" LCD TV which could be set up to use discrete HDTV, S-video, standard RF cable TV, plus both VGA and DVI-I inputs. On sale for less than $600, I just couldn't pass it up. It's an Olevia LT26HVX, and it runs 1280x720 at 60hz as a computer monitor.

1000:1 contrast ratio, 8msec response time-Forgotten Battles/Pacific Fighters has never looked better (or bigger).

I also run it as a plain TV when I'm not on the computer, and it has a great picture for that as well. I plan to order a HDTV receiver from my cable company once football season starts up, and I can select any of the up to 9 inputs with my remote control.

How cool is that?

My config file looks like this for the video section:

[window]
width=1280
height=720
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=0
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0