PDA

View Full Version : Is this true about some Polish RAF pilots in the BoB

panzerd18
04-06-2006, 07:08 PM
The other night I was playing online and bailed out only to have my human body machine guned.

Another night I bailed out and was parachuting down to have an enemy plane came past and machine guned my body and parachute.

It made me remember somewhere reading that some Polish pilots in the Bob would machine gun the Luftwaffe pilots after they had bailed out.

I can understand why a Polish pilot would do it after there country has been overrun and parts of there population enslaved.

Is it true and were there any other people who were renowned for machinegunning parachuting pilots?

WTE_Galway
04-06-2006, 07:15 PM
not just pilots

during the blitz the british army had to race to rescue downed german pilots from infuriated londoners who had a habit of literally ripping them to bits before they could get out of their harnesses

james_ander
04-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Um, there are many threads on strafing parachutes. I encourage you to read them thoroughly before beginning another. No offense. It's just we've been through this one many times.

NekoReaperman
04-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Were you by chance in Zekes vs wildcats in a hellcat?

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d136/Nekoreaperman/sniperz.jpg

The map was almost over, both sides low on Pilots/planes, but the Allies has 3 pilots left, and something like 14 planes..

I was flying high in a zero, and i damaged a hellcat in a head on pass, he rolled over and bailed out over friendly territory.... so i rolled my plane over and MG'ed the pilot (no parachute even)

:-) i had to do it!

(after that my plane was badly damaged and i was wounded, so i made a daring (wheels down) landing on a dirt road near a seaplane base, and got a RTB! it was an awsome sortie)

berg417448
04-06-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by panzerd18:
The other night I was playing online and bailed out only to have my human body machine guned.

Another night I bailed out and was parachuting down to have an enemy plane came past and machine guned my body and parachute.

It made me remember somewhere reading that some Polish pilots in the Bob would machine gun the Luftwaffe pilots after they had bailed out.

I can understand why a Polish pilot would do it after there country has been overrun and parts of there population enslaved.

Is it true and were there any other people who were renowned for machinegunning parachuting pilots?

The shooting of pilots and aircrews while descending in their parachutes was something that occurred on all sides despite what some people like to believe. You can find many, many documented cases of it occurring.

FPSOLKOR
04-07-2006, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by panzerd18:
Is it true and were there any other people who were renowned for machinegunning parachuting pilots? http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/7521013214

PtIII is what you are looking for

superjohnny
04-07-2006, 07:21 AM
If you want to know more about the Polish pilots in the RAF and the shamefully shocking way the Polish nation was treated by the allies during WW2 then i would suggest reading the excellent book "For Your Freedom and Ours".
I am half way through it at the moment and its eye opening and a fascinating read.

Persecutor_352
04-07-2006, 08:03 AM
If you want to know more about the Polish pilots in the RAF and the shamefully shocking way the Polish nation was treated by the allies during WW2 then i would suggest reading the excellent book "For Your Freedom and Ours".
I am half way through it at the moment and its eye opening and a fascinating read.

I'd also recommend you read "A Question of Honor", a description of the Kosinisky Squadron (spelling?). You'll never look at WWII history the same (and both Allied and Axis behavior) after reading it. We can not apologize to the Polish people enough.

BF_Jagdflieger
04-07-2006, 10:11 AM
I'd also recommend you read "A Question of Honor", a description of the Kosinisky Squadron (spelling?). You'll never look at WWII history the same (and both Allied and Axis behavior) after reading it. We can not apologize to the Polish people enough.

That's 303 "Ko┼"║ciuszkowski" squadron.In fact Tadeusz Kosciuszko is a Polish and American hero,who fought for liberation of Poland in the 18th,and also fought in the American Revolutionary War.

PS.If you want to know more about Poland and Europe history read "Gods Playground" by Norman Davies - it is a complete history of Poland from the beggining in 966 to nowdays.

tigertalon
04-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Many times pilots, flying for occupying forces, had orders to shoot at enemy bailed pilots (that obviously bailed over friendly territory) simply to prevent him from flying again. Some pilots disobeyed and refused such tactics. Some even did not shoot at unarmed aircraft. (Saburo Sakai refused to down an unarmed C-47 IIRC, saluted to them and flew away instead)

JG52Uther
04-07-2006, 10:42 AM
A more usual tactic used by 'some' pilots flying for the British in the BoB was to fly VERY close to a bailed out pilot,thus causing his parachute to collapse in the slipstream of the plane.Definitely frowned upon,but they were different times.