PDA

View Full Version : What's this? (see circled inset)



hkg36sd
11-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Was going through my collected reference library and in one of my Koku-Fan books, there's an image ofa 109G 'taxying in Germany'.
The caption also indicates that they had no idea what the small scoop/extra bulge was. (see inset)

Anyone have any ideas as to what it might be? (with reference to back it up)

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/MF--C/109g.jpg
(BTW, I have no clue!)

general_kalle
11-13-2008, 01:48 PM
i think its some kind of field modification..maybe it was damaged and then repaired rough

JSG72
11-13-2008, 01:50 PM
This is a Bf-109G5.With pressurised cockpit
The bulge is the cover for the compressor fairing and the small airscoop is the air inlet for the compressor.
Some G6s and G14s also had the bulge but not the airscoop. as their cockpits were not pressurised.

I beleive around 500 G5s were built in the Werk no's batches:

15200-16000
26000-26400
27000-27200

Remember all numbers were not concurrent.

Pigeon_
11-13-2008, 01:53 PM
No, wrong! It's the exhaust of the pilot's pee-tube! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Divine-Wind
11-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Pigeon_:
No, wrong! It's the exhaust of the pilot's pee-tube! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Facing forwards? Not very sound design if you ask me... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Scolar
11-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Well it washes the windscreen at the same time, makes perfect sense! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Pigeon_
11-13-2008, 05:14 PM
No, at high altitudes little balls of frozen urine would be formed in the bulge. They are fired through the propellor at supersonic speeds. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

JSG72
11-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Pigeon_:
No, at high altitudes little balls of frozen urine would be formed in the bulge. They are fired through the propellor at supersonic speeds. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Darn! I wish had your wisdom/intelligence/Ability to spout P**h.

Still. Whatever! I can also skate. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

hkg36sd
11-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Thanks to ALL the replies! lol!!

And Thank You 'JSG72' for filling in and correcting the gap!
I'll make a little post it add-on in the book
(hoping your answer is correct!)

Jaws2002
11-14-2008, 08:54 AM
A nice image I used for a while as my il-2 splash screen. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/<FA>Jaws/background.jpg

Player_43
11-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by hkg36sd:
Was going through my collected reference library and in one of my Koku-Fan books, there's an image ofa 109G 'taxying in Germany'.
The caption also indicates that they had no idea what the small scoop/extra bulge was. (see inset)

Anyone have any ideas as to what it might be? (with reference to back it up)

(BTW, I have no clue!)

Intelligent design ?

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

JSG72
11-14-2008, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by hkg36sd:
Thanks to ALL the replies! lol!!

And Thank You 'JSG72' for filling in and correcting the gap!
I'll make a little post it add-on in the book
(hoping your answer is correct!)

Sources:
Bf 109 F.G,K by Prein + Roddieke

Bf 109 recognition Manual by Marco Fernandez-Sommarou

Squadron Signals Me109 "In Action" Part 2

Amongst plenty others. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

major_setback
11-15-2008, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by Divine-Wind:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pigeon_:
No, wrong! It's the exhaust of the pilot's pee-tube! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Facing forwards? Not very sound design if you ask me... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You tell him!
In the words of Neil Young:

"And there ain't nothin' like a friend,
Who can tell you you're just pi**in' in the wind."

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

(I've found this to be a very true statement).