PDA

View Full Version : warrning to all bfg6800 and gt owners

fordfan25
02-25-2005, 06:19 PM
hay just thought id spread the word. if you own a BFG 6800 or 6800gt card keep a check on the fans. this is the 3rd one that has craped out on me. first was a gt now two 6800s. its always the back fan. so if your a owner keep a close check on your temps as well as every now and then check to be sure the fan is working. im takeing this wh)%e of a card back to best buy tomorrow. thinking of tring to find something else any advice on another 200 to 300 doller. i liked the performnce but after haveing 3 of them go bad im not going to mess with bfg anymore.

JunkoIfurita
02-25-2005, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I've heard they tend to skimp on the components outside the chipset. You have to watch those things - particularly, the way you know you're getting a fan that is heavy enough for the 6800 card is if they have a double backplate for structural support. Check the NVIDIA site for an image of their reference card - double backplate, nice heavy duty fan.

If the card is light enough to only need a single backplate, you know the manufacturers have skimped on the heatsink/fan.

If you're willing to spend a little more, the Sparkle 6800GT or 6800Ultra is the way to go - extremely heavy duty fan, all the quality of the reference machine, and extra warranty.

Although I've heard the ASUS GF 6800GTs are fairly high quality as well.

I'll definitely be going for the Sparkle cards when it comes time for upgrade...

----

LWulffe_Dumbo
02-25-2005, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the heads up, fordfan25. Always good to know this stuff.

I've had my 6800GT (yes, it's BFG) for about six months now...no problems. I do check the temperature every so often, and it always appears stable. Of course, I do have a bunch of fans in my case for additional cooling.

My BFG card came with a lifetime guarantee...did yours?

Good luck...there's nothing worse than having to screw around with this kind of stuff.

fordfan25
02-25-2005, 06:53 PM
yes it did but fortunitly i bought it in jan of this year so i can just take it back to the store. i would not have posted a warrning ifd it had not been the 3rd one to mess up. this time the back fan actully seems to have cracked in half. what a pile. i hate to go back to ati but i dont know. i wish i could find one of the leadtek or gainwood 6800s in a store. i dont order off the web for this very resone. haveing to wait for shiping it there and a replacement to be shiped back.

Charlie901
02-25-2005, 07:30 PM
I've had mine since Best Buy first got them in about six months ago. No problems w/ the fan at all here.

Sorry to say but your problem sounds system specific. You should check the inside of your system. Some loose wiring, too much heat buildup, the fan bumping against another PCI card, could all potentially cause your problem.

I bought the BFG card cause of the lifetime warranty, plus the speed and quality was rated very high.

Honestly, your reoccurring problem is the first time I've ever heard of the fan going faulty on any 6800 series card, irrespective of manufacturer. I've been in tons of forums regarding 6800 cards and have never seen this problem reported elseware. Cause three brand new 6800 cards, having the same exact failure, after some time, in your system, is too coinsidential too be faulty parts or manufacturing.

That's why I'd really check your system out first and save some future headache on yet another 6800 series card doing exactly the same thing (cause I have a feeling it will).

Good Luck!

Cess-SGTRoc
02-25-2005, 07:41 PM
One of the first things to start going on a system
with a PSU that is degrading is the fans , If I where you I would have someone check the output of you PSU under a load.
From what you just told us it is a classic sign of this.
And it is and will show up on these high end cards now because they need so much power to work.

Just a thought that I am passing on that may save you a bigger issue down the line.

Take a look at your temps also because as the PSU fails your temps will tend to climb.

VF-29_Sandman
02-25-2005, 07:50 PM
the high end cards crave power. like cess said, check the psu. 300 watts is what ati advises in 'strong' words for the 9800 xt, and the card u have just might need just a tad more power. always a good idea to have 'more' psu than u actually use. the more things u add to the case, the power that's going to be drawn, and eventually, a puny psu wont be able to keep up and go into meltdown. if it does, it could frag ur entire board.

fordfan25
02-25-2005, 08:17 PM
thanks for the advice guys. psu is an antech 430tp. temps on mobo and cpu are under load 100 and 110.F. no loose or hanging wires and no pci cards at all. its the same rear fan on the cards this one actully has been cracked down the middle on the top flat part of the fan.

LWulffe_Dumbo
02-25-2005, 09:12 PM
I've heard that BFG's customer service is top-notch. Have you tried contacting them directly about this?

fordfan25
02-25-2005, 09:44 PM
well i called after the fist card fouled up and the girl who awnserd was so ......uninformed that i said pi$$ on it and i took it back to bestbuy.

quistion if it is my psu, that would not cause the fan to crack would it?

o and right now the card under load hits 70.C. i think it idels at 50 something. im not geting any artafacts errors or crashs what so ever.

Owlsphone
02-25-2005, 10:07 PM
Even if my card would go bad, BFGs lifetime warranty is enough to keep me buying their brand of cards. I also heard that their customer service is top notch. Sounds like you either have had a run of bad luck or something else must be wrong.

fordfan25
02-26-2005, 12:24 AM
yea bad luck is my midlle name man. what could make the fan crack though.and why only that one rear fan?

Flakenstien
02-26-2005, 02:19 AM
Curious, did you get all three cards from the same store?
If so maybe the store got a batch of faulty cards?

BlackShrike
02-26-2005, 03:21 AM
i got a bfg too. it was great. had to return it eventually for cash due to money probs. have a pny 6800 gt now. it gets way less frames than the bfg

i am positive there is some other reasoning for the 3 cards going bad. changes in bios? something off the wall for sure. BFG is the best name in vid cards and their stuff is quality. id talk to their techs about it. not some chick

fordfan25
02-26-2005, 02:19 PM
yea i got them from the same store. its so strange that its always the back fan never the frount and how this time the fan is cracked in half. also it is hard to spin with my fingure.well im takeing her back in a few hours. dont know what ill try to do next.

BlackShrike
02-26-2005, 08:53 PM
definition of insanity...

"Doing the same thing over and over and over and expecting a different result each time"

cough....

Shakthamac
02-26-2005, 09:19 PM
fordfan... i realize this is late in the day and you possibly have already solved your problem by now, but if you are looking for somewhere else to buy a vid card from, I highly recommend Newegg.com. they are extremely fast, dependable, and have a great warranty on products. plus, they are the cheapest place around.

Charlie901
02-26-2005, 10:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlackShrike:
definition of insanity...

"Doing the same thing over and over and over and expecting a different result each time"

cough.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL...... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

RamsteinUSA
02-27-2005, 11:10 AM
Hi,
I went with Monarch Computer (this upgrade go-around), mostly because they don't tax California sales and also many of their sales are shipped 'FREE'. But I still check NewEgg.com and feel NewEgg, still has some of the best warranties. But, most computer parts run without returning them. Monarch prices are as good. You just got to pick what's best for you. Also, Newegg.com does pop up with very good sales often. You just don't know when, till the day they pop-up. Monarch also has good cutomer support. I'm not a fanboy, just letting you know my experiences.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shakthamac:
fordfan... i realize this is late in the day and you possibly have already solved your problem by now, but if you are looking for somewhere else to buy a vid card from, I highly recommend Newegg.com. they are extremely fast, dependable, and have a great warranty on products. plus, they are the cheapest place around. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

fordfan25
02-27-2005, 09:02 PM
well time 4 my updtae lol. first let me say that from now on i WILL order from sites like newegg. also the whole resone i bought from best buy was 1 because thay were the only store around me that sould high end PC stuff and 2 because i didnt want to go through the hassle of haveing to ship something back if it didnt work. ha joke was on me.

well i went into best buy and tried to return the card and the gal behind the counter said that thay only warrenty there crapola for 30 days "i was 5 days over the 30 day cut off"...now every wear else i have bought TVs ect give anywear from 60 to 90 day warrentys like C-city walmart rexs ect. well thats when the fit of rage started. i cussed that store that card and every one i laid sight on lol. i went far beond the call of duty in my discipion of what i thought of haveing to wait in line for 15min just to take it up the .... well ya know, as well as the store's idea of a warrenty on a 300 doller piece of hardwear. youv never seen sales men evaporate so fast lol. i almost feel kinda bad about it ....almost. so no longer will i buy from bestbuy.

i called BFG and thay said to send it in and thay will replace it. also the fella i talked to said the first gen of the BFG 6800 series cards with the duel fan set up had problems with the fans not being ballenced or something and that caused problems with fan mess ups as well as cracked memory chips. so know im going to have to wait 2 weeks ...ya 2 weeks how funny is that lol for the replacment. OOOO the horror.

but thanks to every one hear who tryed to help. as always U guys are great. and if any one from the valdosta sheriff department asked ...you never heard of me lol.