PDA

View Full Version : Combat

nynuc
10-27-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm not sure if this has already been discussed, But I flipped through pages to try and find a combat discussion, and counldn't. I believe AC1's biggest problem was; combat. Problem being, The social stealth aspect of the game was compleatly usless, Because you were able to take on a horde of enemies, and be compleatly fine afterwords. The counter kills were extreamly easy, and your health was tottaly jacked. IN AC 2, Will the health/counter kills, be harder to controll? Getting into a fight, in assassins creed, is one of the most important aspects of the game, it gives the player a sense of honor, and skill. Fighting ONE guard should be difficult and risky. This is where parkour is usefull, social stealth, smoke bombs, throwing knifes, hidden blades, poision come into play. With the combat system too easy, It will ruin the game. Thoughts?

El_Sjietah
10-27-2009, 08:30 PM
I wouldn't count on it, judging by the gameplay vids. The combat system looks pretty much the same with some added fancies. Being able to disarm the opponent probably won't make things harder either.
Don't really mind it myself though. If I want to play the uber stealthy guy I simply force myself to restart whenever I screw up. It's nice being able to go berserk once in a while without being smashed to pulp in half a second.

nynuc
10-27-2009, 08:38 PM
That's where difficulties come into play, or if you're very good at the game, you wont get smashed into a pulp. You'll gain some respect for the streets in the game. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

SBRedFlag
10-27-2009, 08:47 PM
As shown by the leaked PAX demo mostly, but also a little of dev diary #4, the AI is much more difficult this time around. The gameplay demos are purposefully made easier so that the presented doesn't screw up.
AI will try to sneak up behind you, and can outmaneuver you. You can't defend against brute attacks, and your sword strikes will not affect them. Some enemies will be able to use parkour. this all adds to the difficulty level of the game.

El_Sjietah
10-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Still have doubts about the difficulty of actual combat though. You can't make something challenging when there's a failproof way of tackling it, which still seems to be the case in ACII.

Ezio_475
10-28-2009, 06:41 AM
It will be ALOT harder than AC1. Different type of enemies will require a different strategy, not to mention they will also use their own unique strategy, but you can be hit by 2-3 guards at the same time, and you can't counter every move, and they can counter back. So it will be ALOT harder overall. Also El_Sjietah stop being a hater.

guipit
10-28-2009, 07:11 AM
they can counter your counters and you have to ocunter those and if you don't you'll get hit three times but it's too early to tell if it'll be easy or not but they did something to adress it which is good

El_Sjietah
10-28-2009, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Ezio_475:
It will be ALOT harder than AC1. Different type of enemies will require a different strategy, not to mention they will also use their own unique strategy, but you can be hit by 2-3 guards at the same time, and you can't counter every move, and they can counter back. So it will be ALOT harder overall. Also El_Sjietah stop being a hater.

Stop being a fanboy. I'm just sharing my view on the matter. You know, the very thing forums were made for.

Ezio_475
10-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by El_Sjietah:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ezio_475:

Stop being a fanboy. I'm just sharing my view on the matter. You know, the very thing forums were made for. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And your view is wrong.

El_Sjietah
10-28-2009, 10:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by El_Sjietah:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ezio_475:

Stop being a fanboy. I'm just sharing my view on the matter. You know, the very thing forums were made for. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And your view is wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Statements like this are empty without arguments to back it up. And no, ACII not being able to do wrong in your eyes doesn't count as an argument.

moqqy
10-28-2009, 11:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by El_Sjietah:

Now, now, child. Take a deep breath and wait until you've played the game before you go saying things you have no clue about.

Ezio_475
10-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by moqqy:

Now, now, child. Take a deep breath and wait until you've played the game before you go saying things you have no clue about. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually i have a clue because i've seen it in action.

Atmon
10-28-2009, 11:28 AM
So just to give you a quick update on the combat system.

First thing you don't heal between fight. You'll have to find a medic or use healing potions you could buy in the game.

We have different archetypes and not all of them are sensible to disarm or counter attack when they got their max life.

Your opponents could attack together on different sides.

Sometimes you'll have to fight with allies and you could hurt them, as well as they could hurt you (it's also true for guards between them).

During some missions you'll have to protect someone and not only fight for yourself.

Not mentioning the fact that your armour could be damaged if you take too many hits etc

In a nutshell, it still looks amazing, you have more tools, more challenge and in fact... More opportunities http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

wapikas
10-28-2009, 11:49 AM
I actually agree that game play of AC1 was sometimes quite easy but despite that it was enjoyable, but it seems that in AC2 they have deliberately made it more easy for player. Yes there are different kind of enemies but as I have understood that there is also a foolproof way to deal with each one. Brutes can be disarmed or outruned, seekers can be pulled to the haystack and against agile guard you use smoke bomb. In fight you can use long weapon to take down multiple enemies also with sand you can blind multiple enemies. And as it has been said that escape sequences wont last longer than 30 seconds and during escaping guards position is shown on your map. addition to that you can blend in to every group of people in the streets and you can hire people to do your dirty work. It all seems fun and adds new elements to game play but also seems to take away some challenge.

thekyle0
10-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by guipit:
they can counter your counters and you have to ocunter those and if you don't you'll get hit three times but it's too early to tell if it'll be easy or not but they did something to adress it which is good I don't know where you read this but it seems highly unlikely.

com199
10-28-2009, 02:46 PM
I hope that the combos will be easier. It was really hard to get them in the first game for 360. I would purposefully get in huge fights and try and combo kill all of them... Didn't work...

Also, people say that the only thing you could do in AC1 with the hidden blade was counter, it's not strictly true. If you saw your enemy let their guard down you could jump on them and kill them instantly.

thekyle0
10-28-2009, 02:50 PM
I didn't think the combos were that hard. You just couldn't try to take down the higher ranks very quickly with combo attacks. You had to wear them down with slow, strong attacks before finishing them off because whenever you tried to use three light attacks in a row they would use a counter on you.

salted onions
10-28-2009, 04:06 PM
From all the gameplay videos I've seen, it seems that people were taking damage a lot more often when they went on the offensive. And the guard AI's don't seem as polite, taking turns attacking you. In the videos, it seems that once a guard knocked you off balance with 1 strike, another one would follow up to damage you once more, and another after that. I can see this becoming a very dangerous situation when it's groups of 4 or more enemies. However, once again, I haven't seen a video when Ezio is on the defensive and getting hurt.

nynuc
10-28-2009, 07:26 PM
I really hope this is all true, and it will be ALOT harder. But I doubt ubisoft even reads this fourm. and it's a little to late to add anything. Maybe they should add a 1-hit kill mode after you have beaten the game. That would be interesting. =)

thekyle0
10-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Ubi does read these forums. Atmon, who has actually posted in this thread, is even one of the developers working on Assassin's Creed.

An_Idea
10-28-2009, 07:36 PM

uhhh. its HIS view. comprende, its HIS own opinion on things. not yours. do you understand now? you cant be so short sighted and just think that if they dont agree with you theyre wrong. do you live in texas and does your last name rhyme with bush?

kakashi560
10-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by An_Idea:

uhhh. its HIS view. comprende, its HIS own opinion on things. not yours. do you understand now? you cant be so short sighted and just think that if they dont agree with you theyre wrong. do you live in texas and does your last name rhyme with bush? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> the things people argue over... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

nynuc
10-28-2009, 09:16 PM
This is not a flamewar, It's a discussion. And by the way, The game's fighting system is still amazing, But it's just.. Well, not that it's easy, I mean somtimes you WILL fall for some things and die. But it needs more of a heroic skillfull feel, if you all know what I mean. This is where your techniques could come to use, and you could escape a situation and say: "Well, that was close, I'm glad I flee'd" Or: "Wow, I can't believe I took on all those guards!" But, not in AC1.

kakashi560
10-28-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by nynuc:
This is not a flamewar, It's a discussion. And by the way, The game's fighting system is still amazing, But it's just.. Well, not that it's easy, I mean somtimes you WILL fall for some things and die. But it needs more of a heroic skillfull feel, if you all know what I mean. This is where your techniques could come to use, and you could escape a situation and say: "Well, that was close, I'm glad I flee'd" Or: "Wow, I can't believe I took on all those guards!" But, not in AC1. i understand completely. sounds like a good idea to me

nynuc
10-28-2009, 09:42 PM
I think maybe a one-hit Kill mode, Unlocking at the end of the game perhaps. Or at least a difficulty. This would be extreamly easy to put in. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif and it would be a challenge, and it would let the player have to make use of EVERYTHING in the game at least once.

kakashi560
10-28-2009, 09:52 PM
i dont like difficulties in games. i like games that get more difficult as you go (RPG) but a 1 hit kill mode would be pretty cool