PDA

View Full Version : UZO colored triangles -- What do they mean?

pareiner
10-04-2005, 08:49 PM
I have been doing the tutorial for torpedoes.

Im having no end of trouble with torpedoes bouncing off the ships. I have tried AOB of 25 - 165 degrees with no luck.

What are red triangles?
What are yellow triangles?
What are ORANGE triangles?
What are green triangles?

What is the MIN arming distance?

Why would a torpedo MISS a still target if the triangle is GREEN?

ARGH! The manual SUCKS

Kaleun1961
10-04-2005, 09:11 PM
The colours indicate the validity of the solution. Red is the worst, no hope of hitting the target; the others are an improving scale, so that green is the best firing solution. Liken them to traffic lights, stop on red, fire on green.

You are most likely to get a hit with a green light, but it is not 100% reliable. Even though it is "automatic targetting" it is still a human [weapons officer] inputting the information.

Scoring a hit is only part of the ingredient for success. It is best to hit as close to 90 degrees as possible. Off-angle shots are more likely to deflect without detonating.

Kaleun1961
10-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Forgot this. Arming distance is supposed to be 300 metres. That is the distance the torpedo must travel. You must take this into account when firing at an approaching target. If you fire from 300 metres at an approaching target, the torpedo will not travel 300 metres and will dud.

WilhelmSchulz.-
10-04-2005, 09:23 PM
I second Kaleun 61. Also make shure the fish is eather, shalow enough to detonate on impact, or deep enough to below thw keel but not bounce off the bottom.(put the fish .5 to 1 meter below thw keel)

HW3
10-04-2005, 10:51 PM
If a torpedo is set to impact but, is also set too deep, it will run under the ship and miss even though the triangle is green. To do a keel shot the torpedo must be set on magnetic to work and, keep in mind that early war magnetic heads were unreliable.

Jose.MaC
10-05-2005, 07:27 AM
For magnetic pistol, use steam torpedoes. They're faster and more reliable than their electric counterparts. Underkeel shots may be tricky, but once you master them, is the most reliable way to send a gift to Neptune.

I tend to use more often steam torps than electric ones, using last ones for destroyers.

And remember: CONTACT is only contact, while MAGNECTIC is magnetic AND contact.

The_Silent_O
10-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by pareiner:
I have been doing the tutorial for torpedoes.

Im having no end of trouble with torpedoes bouncing off the ships. I have tried AOB of 25 - 165 degrees with no luck.

What are red triangles?
What are yellow triangles?
What are ORANGE triangles?
What are green triangles?

What is the MIN arming distance?

Why would a torpedo MISS a still target if the triangle is GREEN?

ARGH! The manual SUCKS

Just so you know...when you go to manual targeting, you lose the triangles as well as the grey targeting areas on ships...everything is based on experience (but if you fire with doors open between +/- 5 you're generally "green")...

...It was so satisfying the other night to take down a C3 with one shot, because:
- I had to track the ship's vector
- I remembered how to set the torpedo for a shot at the fuel bunkers

Topedo hit...immediate destruction...break out the Sekt!

sharpy34
10-05-2005, 12:04 PM
as well as the grey targeting areas on ships If you mean in the recognition manual how to you get the grey targeting for the ships??? And what is it for?

The_Silent_O
10-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by sharpy34:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> as well as the grey targeting areas on ships If you mean in the recognition manual how to you get the grey targeting for the ships??? And what is it for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know what they are for and I used to use them when I did auto targeting. You have to be within 1000 meters of the targer, close to 90 off target bow and about +/- 15 Gyro angle and THEN they will appear. After that, you can click on a grey box to target your torpedo against that specific part of the ship. Using this, you can essentially sink most ships with one torpedo by hitting their fuel bunker or engine area.

sharpy34
10-05-2005, 12:45 PM
oooo thanks a bunch The_Silent_O http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif