PDA

View Full Version : Really dumb brakes question

btasm
08-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Although I have been running Il-2 for a while now, I can't figure out how to use the aircraft brakes.
First, when starting from a runway, are the brakes automotically set on or off? I can detect no real difference in the a/c's movement if I throttle up and toggle the brake control.
Second (and this goes along with the first), how can you tell if the brakes are activated? So far, I can see no gauge or light which signals this in the cockpit and no message, like "gear up" on the screen.

Thanks.

b2spirita
08-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Brakes are not toggled, they are only on for as long as you press the button.

Come in for a landing on a tail dragger and once you set down, hold the brake button down. You'll hear a whine and end up on your nose.

Thats how you know they're working http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

TipsyTed
08-01-2011, 02:28 PM
To add what b2spirita already said - using rudder while holding down brake key will help you steer your plane on the ground since differential braking is applied.

btasm
08-01-2011, 03:52 PM
No Toggle? Humm. That certainly could explain things. Will try it.

WTE_Galway
08-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by btasm:
No Toggle? Humm. That certainly could explain things. Will try it.

yep ... no parking brakes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Although, that said, I suppose aircraft carriers in game are an exception, as you can toggle "chocks" which kind of work like a parking brake.

Note that historically most WWII aircraft did not have toe brakes so there is only the one brake axis but as stated above moving the rudder distributes that braking force left and right.

If you want to test the brakes are working in game, load up the Avia B534 as it has a functional Dunlop triple brake gauge with needles for pressure in left and right wheels.

Tully__
08-01-2011, 10:19 PM
In most aircraft the brake lever is animated. On most of the Russian and British aircraft it's a hand lever on the stick similar to a bicycle or motorcycle handlebar brake lever. In most of the American aircraft it's toe brake pedals attached to the rudder pedals.

Zeus-cat
08-02-2011, 09:19 PM
My brakes get stuck in the on position at the start of a mission sometimes. If I tap the brake key they usually turn off.

There is no signal that the brakes are on other than squealing if you are moving fast enough and hit them hard.

Col_SandersLite
08-04-2011, 09:46 AM
I've never experienced it myself, but many of the people I've flown with have mentioned that their brakes tend to lock during flight. We don't know the exact trigger for it, but tapping the brake key forces them to reset. If you've had this problem, it's important to tap the brakes before takeoff and on landing approach. Personally I have my brakes on an axis (rudder pedals) and I believe that the constant input from the axis completely negates this.

I'm not sure, but I have a suspicion that this problem has something to do with customizing controls with some mod or combination of mods enabled under 4.09 (newer versions unknown).

Stiletto-
08-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Though not the highest necessity by a long shot, brakes on an axis is also good for the ability to modulate them. It's nice to slowly apply less pressure when you are coming towards stopping range where in some planes if you keep the key pressed it might try to nose over, where you have to keep jabbing that key on and off.