PDA

View Full Version : Tips for getting 30k renown by 1944?

S VIIC_41
04-12-2005, 10:07 AM
I want to get a Type XXI when I can which I hear costs 30,000 renown. That's a lot of renown...

So it's late 1940 with me and I have about 2600 renown (on the last patrol I lost my first crewman... my officer on the deck http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif had to replace him then...)

so will I have to save all my renown do you think and what are the best ways of getting renown? Are warships worth more than merchants or the other way around?

Lovo_Kasistan
04-12-2005, 10:17 AM
Sink more ships. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Add more reality, you will receive more points when you use a higher reality setting.

rupert77
04-12-2005, 10:52 AM
XXI cost 30k? That is indeed a lot but justifiably so. When does it become available though, monthwise I mean?

ParaB
04-12-2005, 11:24 AM
I already have 18.000 renown in February 1941. And this is with a fully pimped-out Type VII B (twin 20mm, upgraded batteries, sonar and engines).

Yeah, sink more ships and up the realism a bit...

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ExitStrategy
04-12-2005, 01:59 PM
I'd say start a brand new campaign in 1939 on a type VIIB. Try to not leave any patrol until you have used every bit of torpedo and gun ammo. Heck use flak guns to sink the smallest ships even.

Take advantage of the early years when you can get away with more surface gunnery. I am actually finding that my per/patrol tonnage is going down as I get further in the campaign as it gets harder so I am glad I got a lot of renown up front.

quillan
04-12-2005, 03:25 PM
The XXI becomes available in the career in April or so of 1944. In 1942, I'm up to 34,000 renown. Higher realism settings do seem to give you higher renown awards. Do everything. Sink as many ships as you can. Always go to your patrol grid (if possible, if you get ordered to patrol inland in Spain, you obviously cannot do that unless they've implemented a Q department without informing us), complete the patrol, and sail back to port manually. You get a bonus 100 renown base (before modificiation) for sailing back and using the DOCK AT: option instead of just using the auto return function. Don't switch sub types unnecessarily. Plan your subs out. If you're switching, switch early so you don't have to rebuy a bunch of upgrades.

rupert77
04-12-2005, 05:55 PM
Talking about realism I simply can't help myself but leave god's eye mode on. I don't mind having non updated ships or having ships presented in general but I don't like that radio messages on convoys only get reported on grid position not long- and latitude, that annoys me terribly. Ofcourse BdU would inform a sub on an exact position if possible. The other thing is sonar contacts they should be displayed on the navigation map, that hurts noone and it's just more practical instead of switching between sonar station and navigational map all the time. Especially with many DD's on you it's just too messy when you have do everything on your own and remember every single DD's bearing along with it's heading etc...

quillan
04-12-2005, 06:42 PM
That's the reason I've left automap updates on. I am supposed to be the captain of the boat. Someone else is supposed to keep up with the map updates. I just call out target, bearing, and range.

Banquet
04-13-2005, 12:20 AM
quillan, I agree.. although at the moment I have them off because the map updates are 100% accurate and move in real time. I wish we could have an option where, based on your WO skill (if it's the WO that updates the map) there is a percentage error in the positions on the map, and they only update every minute or so, to simulate the time it takes to plot a new position.

Ditto with the WO identifying ships and giving solutions. It seems the only choice we have is to do everything ourselves or have superhuman people do them for us. Be nice to have some middle ground.

I also leave the god's eye view on. I still get 92% realism and love to use the view for screenshots.

alanschu
04-13-2005, 12:39 AM
Is there a way to add map updates without using the god's eye mode?

rupert77
04-13-2005, 08:02 AM
Don't think that's possible but that's what I'd like to see aswell. Radio messages and sonar contacts should be shown on the map and should have a seperate difficulty setting from automap.

I really like the searching for ships, estimating the range and so without the automap function but I simply won't search 250 square kilometer grids for a single convoy. Especially a fast convoy is practically non-interceptable without automap.

That's my opinion aswell, you are the captain and it's fun that we can perform almost all tasks ourselves but a sub involves teamply too, so the NA and SO should do some work aswell.

joeap
04-13-2005, 08:33 AM
Guys, if you turn off god's eye mode you still get radio updates, both for convoys and single ships mind you. You don't get sonar updates, which is kind of a pity though.