PDA

View Full Version : just got the game but ...

tianz
10-05-2004, 11:43 PM
i have a few questions cos been trying to play this game but having a really hard time ...
1>i was wondering if i m able to play using the mouse to fly it ? i was using they keyboard but then when i wana move in position it always bounce back and i can seems to aim at where i want to ..

2>how come my plane keeps flying upwards ? is it possible to keep it balanced ?

3> most mf the functions dun work .. like my fire butoom on my mouse, my auto balance, f9 key and like over 60% of the functions on my keyboard does not work .. is there like a patch or something ?? i got the expansion pack btw..
thx for helping

dieg777
10-05-2004, 11:59 PM
hi

You really need to get a joystick-preferably with twist rudder and throttle. they are not very expensive -check Ebay if short of cash.

All your inputs are available when you click control button on main screen check that all the keys are mapped.

Planes do fly up as speed increases-to compensate you will need to adjust trim- check keys in control and use these.

For useful information on this game see User Fixes thread in community help, Luckyboys guide and unofficial FAQ at www.Airwarfare.com (http://www.Airwarfare.com)

good luck

FI.Snaphoo
10-06-2004, 12:32 AM
Like dieg said, you're going to want a joystick of somekind. Even a cheap joystick would be passable, but one with some sort of rudder control would be best. There are patches available, 2.01 and 2.04, depending on your version (should be in the lower left hand corner when loading game) that will determine where you need to start patching your game. However, none of the patches will help your specific issue. But, a joystick will most likely do the trick.

Welcome to the boards by the way. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Tully__
10-06-2004, 03:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tianz:

1. i was wondering if i m able to play using the mouse to fly it ? i was using they keyboard but then when i wana move in position it always bounce back and i can seems to aim at where i want to .. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No way to do it with mouse. As a couple of other's have suggested, a joystick is very desirable and not too expensive for the more basic ones.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>2. how come my plane keeps flying upwards ? is it possible to keep it balanced ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Each aircraft only has one speed at which it will fly level. If you add throttle, it will try to climb. If you reduce throttle it will descend. In order to fly level at other speed/throttle settings you need to adjust the trim of the plane. Most aircraft have a control in the cockpit that allows you to do that while in flight, IIRC the default trim controls for elevator are Ctrl-UpArrow and Ctrl-DownArrow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>3. most mf the functions dun work .. like my fire butoom on my mouse, my auto balance, f9 key and like over 60% of the functions on my keyboard does not work .. is there like a patch or something ?? i got the expansion pack btw..
thx for helping <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
A lot of the controls only work for certain planes or certain difficulty settings. For instance, if you have the Complex Engine Management difficulty setting turned off the Mixture, Prop Pitch and Supercharger controls will do nothing. Similarly, if you're flying an I-16 the landing gear control wont work. That plane only had hand cranked landing gear, you'll need to assign keys for "Manually Raise Gear" and "Manually Lower Gear" to raise and lower the landing gear in that plane.

The F9 key does nothing visible when you push it because it swaps between the two different view modes. If you're in snap view mode, the view will return to center when you release the view buttons, but if you're in Pan mode the view will move one step and stay each time you press a view button.

If you're absolutely sure a control is not working, check in the "Controls" screen to make sure it's correctly assigned.

If you have Forgotten Battles and the Ace Expansion Pack, you'll need to check your start up screen to make sure of the version. If it indicates v2.0 you'll need the 2.01 and 2.04 patches. If it indicates v2.01 you'll only need the 2.04 patch. You can get them from 3DGamers, but I don't have the link to the Forgotten Battles page handy at the moment.

LEXX_Luthor
10-06-2004, 05:29 AM
I have 20$ Saitek Cyborg Graphite joystick.

The best joystick made for flight simming.

Only problem was I had to break my BAN on shopping at WalMarts.

I also had only keyboard when I first got FB, and its the reason I could never fly much until I got joystick. Until you get joystick, learn FMB.

tenmmike
10-06-2004, 05:37 AM
here is 3d gamers http://www.3dgamers.com/games/il2sturmovik2/

tianz
10-06-2004, 05:40 AM
wow thx alot for the fast and nice replys really helped me heaps http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
i have no idea the controls dun work for all the planes guess i need to stop being lazy and learn the planes and maybe chose a few to stick to http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

tenmmike
10-06-2004, 05:45 AM
like every body says do yourself a favor and get a stick , it's very hard to think of flying without one

lil_labbit
10-06-2004, 08:50 AM
Not all controls work on all planes like Tully__ said, but also not all controls are assigned to keys either - check in-game under "Controls".
To the left you have the name of the control, to the right the key/button it is assigned to. To change or assign a key, just click the key-area to the right, then press the key/button you want it assigned to http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

And oh yeah you need a joystick http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif the more buttons/axis it has the better...

BM357_TinMan
10-06-2004, 08:56 AM
Buy a stick, this is a bare minimum. If you don't plan to buy rudder pedals then one with some kind of rudder control.

Then remember one of the basic rules of flight when learing to fly (which will take a little bit of time) - trim for speed, throttle for alt.

Hawk_9th
10-06-2004, 09:04 AM
Welcome aboard man. They ran over your starter info. If you have any other ques there are plenty ppl here on the boards that will help you out the the best of the abilities.Good luck with learning the game. Im still learning and ive had it since the orginal il-2 realease http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif back when there were only 5 or 6 planes lol.

Aeronautico
10-06-2004, 01:21 PM
Go run & get yourself a stick. Now!

Reading the manual, ain't bad either.

horseback
10-06-2004, 02:38 PM
There was a card with your Controls Menu printed on it for both the game and AEP, as well as a partial manual (the rest is on the disk; click on My Computer/CD-ROM drive the disk is on, and open the disk-the manual folder will be there)

You should note that you can change the control assignments to suit yourself in the Controls page. The manual and half a dozen of the references cited in earlier posts can tell you how.

While piloting a plane, you cannot fire your guns with the mouse; that can only be done when acting as a gunner on one of the bombers. I think the keyboard command for cannon is Enter, and machine guns are fired by pressing the Space key.

The mouse controls the direction the pilot is looking, and I think the 'arrow' keys control the aileron and elevator flight controls. I think the rudder is controlled by the comma and period keys, but I never tried flying like that.

I understand that pressing these keyboard controls results in maximum deflection instead of incremental, so if you can get it into the air using keyboard controls, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

The reason most of these guys are being so nice is that they want you flying online as soon as possible so they can shoot you down several times before you can get good and rack up points. I, of course, am a real altruist, since I only fly offline.

Good luck & cheers

horseback

Chuck_Older
10-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but also on one of the FB CDs (I think it's CD 2), there's some PDF files you should read, about all sorts of things relating to the game

LStarosta
10-06-2004, 05:40 PM
Is it just me or does it reek like fish in here? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Aeronautico
10-06-2004, 06:18 PM
Yes it does, but you never know...

tianz
10-06-2004, 08:10 PM
will stop buy the shop these few days to grab a stick and maybe my own set of IL-2 cos the ones i got now are borrowed . should i get aep too or FB only ?? wat's the diff ?

WTE_Galway
10-06-2004, 08:39 PM
AEP has much more of the good stuff

get the gold pack

has both FB and AEP in the one box

Aeronautico
10-07-2004, 06:22 AM
Definitely get teh gold pack (both FB and AEP)!

You'll need it to install PF on top of it.