PDA

View Full Version : tell me about coop please

selection_7
07-16-2011, 10:05 PM
I might like to to play one of these games with my buddy, but what's the nature of coop in these games (Forgotten Battles, Pacific Fighters, 1946, Birds of Prey, Cliffs of Dover)? I'm finding official website and googling to bring up more questions than it answers.

I can already tell from perusing forums that user created missions are available, but are there official missions that allow 2 people with their own copy of the game to play on their own monitor while flying different planes in the same squadron?

Are the missions the same as single player? If not, how different are they? How many are there?

Bearcat99
07-16-2011, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by selection_7:
I might like to to play one of these games with my buddy, but what's the nature of coop in these games (Forgotten Battles, Pacific Fighters, 1946, Birds of Prey, Cliffs of Dover)? I'm finding official website and googling to bring up more questions than it answers.

I can already tell from perusing forums that user created missions are available, but are there official missions that allow 2 people with their own copy of the game to play on their own monitor while flying different planes in the same squadron?

Are the missions the same as single player? If not, how different are they? How many are there?

The difference between single player & coops is that in a coop you can have other pilots ... and AI.. Say you have a mission that is 8 blue and 8 red. If you have 16 guys you can fill up each slot with a live pilot.. and have a blast.. Now say you only have two guys.. You can fly the exact same mission .. but the slots not taken up by live pilots will be taken up by the AI.. Both of you can fly on the same side.. or opposing sides.. In situations like that however it is best to try to lead a flight of AI by taking the flight leader slot as opposed to say the 2,3 or 4 slot.. That way you have some control over the AI.. but sometimes they still get wonky. Coops are fun.. I prefer them to DF missions or single missions.. A string of missions tied together is a campaign.. That's kind of a generalization but basically that's the deal.. When you say "official" missions .. most of the coops are.. some of them may be mod missions in that they use aircraft that are not stock in the sim.. but there is enough stock stuff out there to have a ball for a long time.. Should you decide to go the mod route.. there are a lot of missions, coops & camps that are very well made.

Tully__
07-16-2011, 10:36 PM
There are two multiplayer modes in IL2 1946 and it's predecessors:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI>Dogfight - similar to death match or team death match in a first person shooter. All aircraft are human flown, there are no bots. Players can join/leave the server at any time. The server can be set up to run the same mission continuously or (with the help of some 3rd party utilities) run a rotation of missions. In the absence of 3rd party management tools, these are pretty much a free for all unless the players are very disciplined.
<LI>Coop - similar to single player missions. Unless the mission designer has specifically excluded an aircraft, all aircraft that are available at mission start can be human flown. Any aircraft not chosen by a human pilot before mission start will be flown by the computer. Players must join the server before the mission commences, joining is disabled once the mission launches. There is no split screen mode, all players must have their own computer/monitor.

You can use single missions as coop missions simply by moving the mission and briefing files from the single mission folders to the coop mission folders. If you play them without modification, the host/server computer will be forced to fly the aircraft intended for the player in the single mission. A very simple edit in the full mission builder can change this so the host can choose any aircraft.

In general mission designers for coop missions allow players to choose aircraft on either side, but another fairly simple edit will allow you to force players to choose aircraft from only one side. [/list]

I'm not sure of how the multiplayer works exactly in CoD as I haven't flown it online yet, but the same general principles will apply.

selection_7
07-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Thanks for replying, sounds promising http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

...so plenty of stock stuff, and in fact, you can play single-player missions just by copying necessary single-player contents into the coop folder. But I find it hard to believe this is so for every single-player mission for each of these games+expansions I listed. Is that really true? What are the limitations?

Also, "A very simple edit" is required to allow the server host player to choose any plane in the squadron, but let's say you didn't make that edit...the friends who'll be playing with you could still choose from any of the other planes or spots in the formation, right?

Luno13
07-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Actually, ever since 4.10, you can have AI flying in dogfight missions. However, it's impossible to jump into the flight as a member. They're there mostly as targets.

FoolTrottel
07-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Thanks for replying, sounds promising http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

...so plenty of stock stuff, and in fact, you can play single-player missions just by copying necessary single-player contents into the coop folder. But I find it hard to believe this is so for every single-player mission for each of these games+expansions I listed. Is that really true? What are the limitations?

Also, "A very simple edit" is required to allow the server host player to choose any plane in the squadron, but let's say you didn't make that edit...the friends who'll be playing with you could still choose from any of the other planes or spots in the formation, right? Right.

Tully__
07-17-2011, 06:35 PM
...But I find it hard to believe this is so for every single-player mission for each of these games+expansions I listed. Is that really true? What are the limitations?
You can't use a mission intended for a late version in an earlier version that didn't have the aircraft in the mission or missions that included aircraft from modded versions in the stock game. You can't use Dogfight missions as Coop missions. Other than that, any campaign or single player mission will work as a coop mission with only the host choice limitation mentioned above.

Also, "A very simple edit" is required to allow the server host player to choose any plane in the squadron, but let's say you didn't make that edit...the friends who'll be playing with you could still choose from any of the other planes or spots in the formation, right?
Right. If you want to try the edit, open the mission in full mission builder and select (click on) the player flight. Open the View > Object menu choice and in the object window, uncheck the "Player Aircraft" box. Save and close and the host can choose any aircraft too.

selection_7
07-19-2011, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Tully__:
You can't use a mission intended for a late version in an earlier version that didn't have the aircraft in the mission or missions that included aircraft from modded versions in the stock game. You can't use Dogfight missions as Coop missions. Other than that, any campaign or single player mission will work as a coop mission with only the host choice limitation mentioned above.

Awesome. That's very rare for every game in a series to support coop. Thanks for the info everyone!

selection_7
07-27-2011, 03:31 AM
FYI, I bought the 1946 with the expansion packs. I'll see how I like it before considering the newer ones.
Thanks again.

VW-IceFire
07-27-2011, 03:29 PM
FYI, I bought the 1946 with the expansion packs. I'll see how I like it before considering the newer ones.
Thanks again.
IL-2 1946 is ALL you need. It is the culmination of the entire IL-2 series. There are officially sanctioned patches up to 4.10.1 right now (IL-2 1946 stock comes as 4.07 or maybe 4.08 on Steam) and there are also various mod packages out there.

I highly recommend, once you get acquainted, getting the latest patches up to 4.10.1. Mostly because they contain additional content http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif