PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on URU

autumnsun
11-20-2003, 01:55 AM
I just started playing last night and I was impressed in some areas and a little thrown in others.

The graphics look really good and the sound is cool. The ability to customize your avatar is long overdue and very nicely done.

On the downside, the ability to freely look around is cumbersome and hard to use. I would prefer that anytime I move my mouse, the view moves accordingly; right clicking is un-natural.

I'd also like to have an auto-run key instead of having to hold down a key over extended periods of time.

Lastly, it would be nice if the avatar moved a bit more smoothly when interacting with the environment or just moving around. Right now it seems that there's a jerkiness when turning, side-stepping, and moving into position to "do something."

I look forward to continuing the game!

autumnsun
11-20-2003, 01:55 AM
I just started playing last night and I was impressed in some areas and a little thrown in others.

The graphics look really good and the sound is cool. The ability to customize your avatar is long overdue and very nicely done.

On the downside, the ability to freely look around is cumbersome and hard to use. I would prefer that anytime I move my mouse, the view moves accordingly; right clicking is un-natural.

I'd also like to have an auto-run key instead of having to hold down a key over extended periods of time.

Lastly, it would be nice if the avatar moved a bit more smoothly when interacting with the environment or just moving around. Right now it seems that there's a jerkiness when turning, side-stepping, and moving into position to "do something."

I look forward to continuing the game!

camomilk
11-20-2003, 02:04 AM
I got Uru last week, I think I'm about halfway finished, but that's just a rough guesstimate.

At first I really didn't like the controls, but eventually I got used to them. It is still true however that the avatar movement is too jerky, which doesn't help with the jumping puzzles.

I don't really like the addition of jumping puzzles; although I appreciate the freedom it gives for exploring, making areas where you are forced to go through two load times just for a slight miscalculation of a jump is too much.

There is a way to autorun, press Caps Lock.

As for graphics and sound I am completely blown away, just a few areas where I could nitpick but I won't bother.

graham_614
11-20-2003, 06:09 AM
My thoughts so far:

Graphically stunning. I'm really enjoying the nature of this game's "stop and look" philosophy.

Auditorily: It's not just candy! I love functional EAXHD, my father was stunned as I walked through a waterfall and I passed in front, through and behind all in sound - Very sexy. I beta tested the first Aureal3D audio accelerator (back with the old Jedi Knight 1) but this is just marvy.

Gameplay - so far it's been very friendly. I won't mention the age, but I kinda giggled at the option to shoot something - didn't think I'd find that in a Myst game. I've always enjoyed adventure games - nothing makes you feel quite as smart as "getting it" and slam dunking a puzzle the first time round.

Replay - this is the big one. I've got Hi-uh-igh hopes about Urulive (if/when I ever get there). An avatar that actually looks like me is *huge* for me, but after the books I've read in this game, I'm psyched for a lot of things. I'd really like the option to be able to write in a journal, then just drop the journal for someone else to read. I'm also going to see if it's at all feasible to put on a play http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif We'll see what's doable when we get there.

All in all, very few complaints (see other threads, mwaha) and a lot of really delightful things.

simiain
11-20-2003, 08:20 AM
I must concur, the graphics are the best I have seen thus far (and very gratifying to witness my computer managing it all with maximum anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering.

And the idea of Uru live, of taking part in a gigantic restoration project and mystery and social environment.......this MMORPG has more potential than any other ever.......

.....at least until the Matrix Online comes out, heee.

Kwartha
11-20-2003, 08:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>.....at least until the Matrix Online comes out, heee.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Nothing against Ubi, but I have yet to see a single movie tie-in game that looked like it was designed by game professionals. Enter the Matrix was a few bad reviews away from Daikatana level unplayability. It seems turning a movie into a game is about as good an idea as turning a movie into a novel. I've seen some good movie novelisations - some that even added more to the story - but they're a far cry from actual novels.

CosimoDeMedici
11-20-2003, 08:42 AM
The hype is definitely there. The potential is astounding. But in the back of your mind, you must know that it just won't happen.

Don't get me wrong, I want this thing to fly, but the unveiling of the Prologue gives a big hint that the ramp of Uru live will follow the same path as all the others. You'll have server problems, lots of bugs, and a content rollout that borders on glacial.

Not to blame Cyan for this. As of this date, noone makes good pasteurized cheese, and noone has made a good MMORPG (aside from a few text MUDs). Humankind just hasn't figured it out yet. I wish the marketing departments of these companies would spend more time with the developers and then be a bit more honest with the consumer. That would be a huge first step in the right direction.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> And the idea of Uru live, of taking part in a gigantic restoration project and mystery and social environment.......this MMORPG has more potential than any other ever.......
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

xICEBURNx
11-20-2003, 08:48 AM
the game looks GREAT. the sound is fantastic. it's a great addition to the line. however, i'm not too crazy about the "tomb raider" type puzzles.
well, maybe i was caught off guard and a little mad about the time wasted trying to "solve" something that didn't have a "solution" http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif But now that i know what to look for, i won't be caught off guard again. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Mowog
11-20-2003, 11:13 AM
Agreed... the visuals are just stunning, and marvelous fun to explore. Same with the sounds, and I'm listening in basic stereo, with no flashy sound card enhancements.

For the most part, navigation is okay; but in some places is quite frustrating. Think water and fireflies... In my opinion, the challenge should be in figuring out solutions to the puzzles, then simply doing them, as in real life. Figuring out the solution, then fighting with a clumsy interface through several attempts to actually solve, is very discouraging. That's where there's a serious disconnect between the game and real life -- when you find yourself fighting the interface when you know full well what the solution is, and you just want to do it and move on! Fortunately, it seems that most of the puzzles work well with the interface. There are only a few that present abnormal difficulties.

All in all, I'm thrilled with Uru, and look forward to completing Prime and moving on to Live. It's fantastic to have a fresh new title from Cyan!

blueleopard84
11-20-2003, 11:58 AM
Hey, newbie here. I got the game 2 days ago and so far everything looks really good. Graphics and sound are awesome as usual. I was really looking forward to being able to customize my own character, but I wish we had more options for clothing and hair and such. I can live with the current options though. Also, I agree that the controls are a little jumpy, it reminds me of Tomb Raider. I don't know why, but when playing my game, it lags sometimes, so that one second I'm walking up to a gap I need to jump, the next second, I've fallen through the gap. I'm not sure if this means I should lower the graphics settings, or defrag my computer or what to do to fix this. And I can't wait to get into Uru Live, but I've read that it can take quite some time. Otherwise, the game is great and I can't wait to see more. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

iko-chan
11-20-2003, 12:53 PM
Okay, maybe I have a seriously technical problem that I haven't diagnosed properly, but my game has some display and sound problems.

When I first loaded up the game and it told me to calibrate my screen, I couldn't read the "URU" at all even boosting up the brightness and playing with both ends of the constrast). After about a half hour of playing in the chasm (with a completely dark screen when in the chasm) and nearly breaking out in tears, I found the "gamma adjustment" in the control panel and I managed to boost the gamma. Yay! I need to pump the gamma on my computer to bleeding-bright white in order for the dark areas to show up. This fix only works in the windowed version of the game (can't play full screen.. drat). It's sort of annoying, but I can manage.

In regards to sound, it takes about a second for the sound to be at proper levels whenever I jump to a different Age. For a second, the ambient sound is way high.

Outside of those two issues, the game has been wonderful. It took me a while to get used to the navigation (I'm a two-handed 3rd person keyboard navigator and I turn to the mouse only to look around or select something). I can imagine 3rd person giving someone a serious headache (especially when the camera whips around suddenly), but the puzzles are fun and the worlds are amazing. I am semi-patiently waiting in the queue for access to URULive, which I can't wait to try (especially with my headset!).

I have noticed that when I am "allowed" to jump a span, I jump pretty far. When it's a span I'm "not allowed" jump, for some reason I end up jumping not as far. I also noticed that a walking jump and a running jump aren't noticably different.

origin_unknown
11-21-2003, 10:48 AM
Ok, graphics blows you away, sound is real nice... BUT, as my native language is not english, some speach wasn't very clear to understand. This game needs subtitles, at least i would have enabled them long time ago.

Some already have mentioned it, but navigation isn't intuitive, and at some points it really starts to annoy. If i had a possibility to switch controls to FPS games' style i'd do it immediately. Jumping is done badly, grrrr, i lost a count when i fell into lava while trying to land onto geyser thingie or few other places.