PDA

View Full Version : Did the Brits have radar on their destroyers in late 1941?

Col_Tibbetts
05-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Did the Brit destroyers have radar in 1941 since it seems that they have no problem finding me in a storm.

It can be pitch black, heavy fog, heavy rain and they will always be right on my butt when I come out of 1024x time.

And how come that pop-up screen doesn't appear in this situation? You know, the one that gives you the three options of "Periscope Depth", "Maintain Orders", and "Crash Dive". This would be much better since it pauses the game. What usually happens is the destroyer attacks you at 8x time. Not good!

Thanks

Col_Tibbetts
05-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Did the Brit destroyers have radar in 1941 since it seems that they have no problem finding me in a storm.

It can be pitch black, heavy fog, heavy rain and they will always be right on my butt when I come out of 1024x time.

And how come that pop-up screen doesn't appear in this situation? You know, the one that gives you the three options of "Periscope Depth", "Maintain Orders", and "Crash Dive". This would be much better since it pauses the game. What usually happens is the destroyer attacks you at 8x time. Not good!

Thanks

quillan
05-01-2005, 01:09 PM
Check out this file:

http://www.radarworld.org/radarwar.pdf

The British put a 79Y shipborne radar on the HMS Saltburn in early 1938. It was a 6.4 meter wavelength, and capable of tracking aircraft at 100km in the later verion (August 1939). In early 1941, they started using the Type 281 on ships, which had about 10% longer range. The file doesn't say whether the first could detect ships, but specifically says the second could detect ships at 20km. You'd have to assume the first could as well.

panthercules
05-02-2005, 06:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Col_Tibbetts:

What usually happens is the destroyer attacks you at 8x time. Not good!

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may want to alter your My Documents\SH3\data\cfg\main.cfg file to change your time compression to drop you to "1" rather than "8" under these circumstances - at least it would give you more time to react before the destroyer kills you. This really helps with plane atacks as well.

Col_Tibbetts
05-02-2005, 08:46 AM
WOW!

Thanks. I just changed that and it makes a world of difference.

Hey. I also read where you can increase the max time accelleration to 2048x. Is this true or is it an old Internet tale?

Thanks

HeibgesU999
05-02-2005, 10:19 AM
You can change it in the same file where you changed EnemyDetected from 8 to 1.

Notice at the bottom of the list it says 1024. Just change entry from 1024 to 2048.