PDA

View Full Version : SBD & F6F carrier Take offs

clubracer911
02-28-2007, 10:39 PM
I am having trouble taking off carriers with both aircraft even after checking flap settings, engine power etc.. I seem to have very little trouble with the F4U using the same settings, so I am just curious what are some good tricks and settings for the other two aircraft. Thanks

Fighterduck
03-01-2007, 03:08 AM
one of the most common error i made( most of the time when the carrier is static ) is that when you are at the end of the runway you immeditely pull the joystick to bring nose up...dont do that. let the plane "fall" from the carrier and pull back gently to bring it up. For the rest, if you are full throttle flaps take off you are ok. Just let the plane the time to go in the air.

hshmulik
03-01-2007, 05:05 AM
* Raise the throttle to max slowly and let it stay there a few seconds until the engine reaches max power, only then release the chocks.
* Lock the tail wheel and trim the rudder for straight takeoff - this way you won't have to put in a lot of rudder and this will reduce your drag.
* Pull back on the stick to hold your direction until you've reached 60 KMH or so, then push on the stick to raise the tail - you'll have less drag this way.
* Raise the gear as soon as they left the deck

All of the above are meant to help you gain speed more rapidly - you don't have enough runway. And as said above - don't pull on the stick once you've passed the end of the ship - you're barely above stall speed. Just let the AC sink and keep it level by pulling on the stick just enough to keep it from hitting the water.

Fireball_
03-01-2007, 07:42 AM
One interesting thing I learned from reading the pilots manual for the F6F is that for takeoff from a runway the procedure was to lock the tailwheel, but on takeoff from a carrier they left it unlocked. Don't really know why. The procedure for the F4U Corsair was to lock the tailwheel on all takeoffs, runway and carrier.

But that's neither here nor there, for your purposes right now. As hshmulik said, I would lock it, at least until you've got everything else mastered. Keeps you from swerving all over the deck.

And also, you should use full flaps on takeoff from a carrier, even though it says 'Landing' flaps. In real life, the F6F only had two settings anyway, Up and Down. (Learned that from the pilots manual too. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

Tater-SW-
03-01-2007, 08:30 AM
I think I read real F6F pilot accounts that they maintained back pressure on the stick the entire TO, but that doesn't work well in PF. CV ops are pretty FUBAR in PF, IMO.

IV_JG51_Razor
03-01-2007, 09:15 AM
It's a real shame that, in all of the Single Player or Coop carrier missions that came with the game, the ships are cruising at way less than their maximum available speed. If there was any wind modeled in the game, AND they were sailing into it, this would matter less, BUT since wind is not modeled, you're stuck with whatever wind over the deck the ship can give you.

The Essex class ships can go 31 knots in game, and the Saratoga class can go 33 knots. These speeds are more than enough to get any carrier plane in the game off the deck easily, regardless of what you've hung on them......well, maybe not the Hawg, but only because you hang so dang much on it!!

The Jeeps are another matter. Their max in the game is 19 knots, and without a little extra wind over the deck (what little deck there is), or the help of a catapult, I'm afraid that flight ops off of them are a joke.

The bottom line is, if you become real familiar with the FMB, you will then begin to enjoy the carrier portion of Pacific fighters as it was meant to be. And, with a little more knowledge of the .mis files, you can even get the Jeep carrier up to 30+ knots for a more realistic experience.

zoinks_
03-01-2007, 11:32 AM
- trim right rudder then lock tail wheel
- max throttle
- release chocks
- lower flaps at the end of the deck; you build up more speed with flaps up
- don't pull back stick until you leave deck and only small amount to keep level flight as speed increases
- raise gear as soon as you leave deck

try this with 25% fuel and no bomb load until you get the hang of it. having controls mapped to hotas greatly helps.

good luck...stay dry.

Nimits
03-02-2007, 05:58 PM
If you edit the carrier missions to get the carriers going 30 knots (standard wind over deck speed for most aicraft), you can get a loaded SBD or F6F off the deck AT LEAST 50-100 feet short of the end of the flight deck. An unloaded F6F with about 50% fuel can take off from the middle flight deck alot of room to spare. Alot of the problems in the training missions (and often historical missions and campaigns) is the carriers are cruising at 15-20 knots, which IS more or less the speed they would have been making except when under attack or when launching in calm conditions, except that in PF it is almost universally calm conditions as far as wind over the deck is concerned.

On a related note, if you edit the speed of the CVEs in the .mis file with a text editor, you can increase their speed to 30 knots, simulating ops from a Princeton class light carrier (yeah, the flight deck is still 100 feet short, but what the hey . . .).