PDA

View Full Version : OT......... All of you In the Galverston Area

Taylortony
09-21-2005, 11:14 AM
Be safe guys and heed the warnings, New Orleans was a wake up call you can't ignore....... Thoughts are with you all...

Taylortony
09-21-2005, 11:14 AM
Be safe guys and heed the warnings, New Orleans was a wake up call you can't ignore....... Thoughts are with you all...

AlmightyTallest
09-21-2005, 01:44 PM
what Taylortony said... Looks like lessons learned are already being applied. Mandatory Evacuation for Galveston, Hospitals and the sick and injured are being evacuated first.

Stay safe guys.

Taylortony
09-21-2005, 03:03 PM
The fact there are few replies to this is in my eyes a good thing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif It means the people that would of replied are heading north http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Hope they packed the P.C http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BaldieJr
09-21-2005, 03:14 PM
I'm broke. The trip to LA emptied my meager reserves. My biggest concern is being unable to help.

Snyde-Dastardly
09-21-2005, 03:55 PM
Duck and cover down there boys!!

Bearcat99
09-21-2005, 04:16 PM
Those of us who pray will be kicking them up for you. Keep us posted on your status. ~S~

PBNA-Boosher
09-21-2005, 09:27 PM
Stick together, men, and remember the wise words of the children's story:

Stone Soup.

Oilburner_TAW
09-21-2005, 10:30 PM
I was going to take my trailer down there and help a friend move his father up here (near Austin where I live) he called me and said forget it. His dad just took pictures of everything and took off, he said it's complete chaos already with everybody trying to get out (he lives in Rockport about 100m from the bay). He's fully insured so the $$$ isn't a concern, but most likely his house will be leveled.

The weather report tonight said we may get winds here in the 60-70mph range, which is kinda crazy seeing how far from the coast we are..this sounds like one monster storm.

My wife went to wal-mart tonight to buy some dog food and she said people are going nuts, even here. No water, no batteries, no flashlights, nothing in the bread aisle, etc..

No worries, got plenty of water, food, 12guage pump, UPS for the computer and my trusty Honda generator. Plan to be on GG or Zeke v Wildcats come hell or high water saturday (knock on wood). http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

BaldieJr
09-21-2005, 10:53 PM
If you haven't already, you might want to get some gas and two-cycle oil for any chainsaws that may need fuel after the winds have died down.

partic_3
09-21-2005, 11:44 PM
Ah, BaldieJr...
I thought it might actually be you. Ha ha.
I just saw Napolean Dynamite on the weekend so it is all now clear.

Oilburner_TAW
09-22-2005, 05:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BaldieJr:
If you haven't already, you might want to get some gas and two-cycle oil for any chainsaws that may need fuel after the winds have died down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks baldie!!

Completely forgot about the 2cycle oil. I have already said goodbye to my beloved peach trees because I don't think they can take a high wind. I have trimmed them and anchored them, but they naturally have a pretty crappy root system. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

Capt._Tenneal
09-22-2005, 07:35 AM
It's unbelievable. The forecasters are saying Rita might even reach Dallas as a Category 1 storm or a tropical storm strength. I have relatives both in Houston and Big D, and they've taken me down to Galveston several times whenever I visited them for vacation. It's a beautiful spot (Galveston). I sure hope for the best and dread the worst (the island being inundated).

vocatx
09-22-2005, 08:39 AM
We've got several community members down that way. Last night I was flying with Republic of Texas, who lives in Spring, just north of Houston. He said he was going to ride it out....

I live about 120 miles north-west of Austin, and my dad says back in the sixties one came through here still classified as a hurricane. Did lots of damage.

Any of you thinking about riding this thing out, please think again. My brother is an insurance adjuster and has been in Slidell, La, for the last couple of weeks. He said the pictures on television don't even do justice to the amount of devestation there.

han freak solo
09-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Hey guys. I just got back home to Houston this morning from a business trip in Toronto. The Air Canada flight was sparsely populated, as you can imagine, and I was lucky to get it.

Above southeast Texas you could see every highway going outbound packed with people standing out of their cars. The news here says that many of the highways going outbound will have both the inbound and outbound sides converted to outbound only. (Inbound to Houston, that is.)

Also, the news mentioned that the fastest outbound speed on the highways is 5 mph. Like said earlier, there is no water, ice, or gas for people passing through. All businesses are closed except for a few grocery stores and gas stations. The gas stations that are open have their parking lots full of cars that are out of gas and waiting on the hopeful passing of a tanker truck.

At 12pm local time, the weather reports have got Rita's eye going to the east side of Houston. My dad has a bayhouse on the east side of Galveston bay. If Rita keeps this current prediction, his house will be wiped out.

At this point, my mom, my sister in law and her kids are already at Lake LBJ on the west side of Austin. My dad is at my stepbrother's house in North Houston. My brother works at a chemical plant on the west side of Galveston Bay. He has volunteered for the skeleton hurricane crew, so that is where he will be.

My woman and me are holding up in Northwest Houston in the area of Hwy 290 and the Sam Houston Tollway. Our children are with our ex-spouses in the Austin and Dallas area.

At this moment, my part of town will be spared the worst of it.

If I have power, I'll fill you in if anything interesting happens.

Later!

han freak solo
09-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Unorganized observations:

1. Amazingly, the traffic within Houston is getting out of the city limits. The highways in the city are almost clear in places.

2. It's great fun getting my survival gear out of my storage area today. The managers of Public Storage have turned off the access gate, so us renters are climbing the fence to get our own property.

3. The nearby FedEx dispatch center has no trucks in its parking lots.

4. The traffic on the surface streets is really weird. People are driving around lost, looking for short cuts that don't exist.

5. The news had footage of an Ice Cream truck pulled to the inbound shoulder of a highway making a truck clearing ice cream sale to the motorists stalled going outbound. (It is supposed to reach 100F here today.)

I was 18 when Hurricane Alicia hit here. It was nothing like this. And Rita hasn't even gotten here yet.

han freak solo
09-22-2005, 05:59 PM
Houston is definitely a semi-ghost town now. Nothing is open. People will have to eat up their supplies before the storm hits land. Which still may be more than 24 hours away.

Many people that have a little gas left are going back home since they don't have the gas to wait it out in traffic. There just isn't any gas here.

I just got word that my brother's chemical plant crew has been evacuated to Atascocita, which is a little Northeast of Houston proper.

Friday should be an interestingly boring day.

han freak solo
09-22-2005, 06:17 PM
Mayor Bill White has announced that for people in Houston that haven't left Houston, to stay home. Just to keep people from being stranded on the roadside with no shelter other than their cars. Be sure that he isn't talking about the coastal communities.

The reporters are already asking the mayor if the evacuation plan should have been done better or different. Amazing that an early reaction to evacuate is still getting criticism for its execution.

It just proves that the government will never be all powerful. Which is fine with me. People should learn to count on themselves first. That's life.

F19_Orheim
09-22-2005, 06:20 PM
take care guys...

Looks like it has eased down just a tad..... down to a Category 4

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/tropical/?from=wxcenter_news

blairgowrie
09-22-2005, 06:30 PM
I am really hoping that it is all being exaggerated by the media. But I was in Rita's path, I would be getting out of it's way like everyone else.

Our prayers are with you.

han freak solo
09-22-2005, 08:44 PM
Thanks guys.

It looks like the people in Beaumont and Port Arthur might get the direct hit, now. Or perhaps Rita will try to split Texas away from Louisiana up the Sabine river.

Pray for those people. It looks like Houston might only see a glancing blow.

P.S. It turns out my dad is now west of San Antonio.

Fehler
09-22-2005, 10:35 PM
Han, you are weirding me out!

Your posts almost seem like a rendition of "War of the Worlds." (The original motion picture of course)

I live up here in Ft. Worth, so if you get wiped out let me know, you got a place to stay. (As long as you cut the grass and walk my dog) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

We've been complaining about a lack of rain, guess we will get some by Saturday... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

woofiedog
09-22-2005, 10:55 PM
My families thoughts and prayer's are with you all down on the Gulf Coast.
Good Luck!

Fehler
09-23-2005, 02:07 AM
What a logistical nightmare:

I am sitting out here on Interstate 20 and am totally amazed at the amount of traffic I am seeing. Even during peak holiday traffic, I rarely see the number of cars I am looking at on the road at 2:30 AM!

To put it into context, I just stopped a van for speeding. The family was traveling towards Ft. Worth from the west and they tell me that they have been looking for a motel in every town for the past 400 miles! They also said that the rest areas from Midland to Ft. Worth are totally packed with cars, trucks and 18-wheelers.

While typing this, I made another stop. This time the family's journey took them to San Antonio (No place to stay) then to Abilene (No room), now they have decided to go to relatives in Kansas City Kansas. Holy Moly, it's hard to imagine how displaced folks can get in such a short period of time. The woman driving, a very attractive young black woman (One of the perks of being a cop, getting to visit with pretty girls from time to time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif) was traveling with her sister and their combined 5 small children. She had a great upbeat personality which was untarnished even though She said that it took her over 12 hours to drive from Houston to San Antonio because of the traffic leaving the city and surrounding areas. Imagine having to put up with the 100 plus temperatures small children and irritated travelers to find out you still have no place to stay!

Of course, from a law enforcement point of view, this got me to thinking about the added potential for a rise in the crime rate. I will be willing to bet that there will be a sharp increase in car burglaries at the motels. Gas drive-off's and other thefts will probably increase as well, especially along the interstate corridor. Things could get interesting.

Han, do you have any knowledge of what HPD or other police agencies are doing to prevent what we saw in New Orleans a few weeks ago? We saw a large desertion of New Orleans police in the early stages of the crisis, what about there in the Houston/Galveston area? I try to put myself in the shoes of the N.O. police officers, and honestly, I would have been torn between my obligation to get my family to a safe place and my sense of duty to my community.

It's easy to say, "Why didnt those people evacuate," without really understanding the logistics involved. For some, staying put and riding it out was probably the best, if not the only choise they had.

Let's all hope the storm passes though quickly and with as little damage as possible!

B16Enk
09-23-2005, 02:58 AM
You guys 'n gals are in my family's thoughts.
We have relatives in the Houston area, regardless of that we here in the UK are thinking of you all and hoping for the best.

Illuminating posts Han and Fehler, thankyou.

VV_Holdenb
09-23-2005, 04:48 AM
Keep safe chaps.
Our thoughts with you from UK.

MrBlueSky1960
09-23-2005, 05:58 AM
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GIFS/NHIR.JPG

DONB3397
09-23-2005, 06:29 AM
Han, glancing blow or not, this one has a wide wake. Glad to know so many of your family are out of the path. Take care and let us know how you're doing when you can. We'll be thinking about you and yours.

han freak solo
09-23-2005, 07:05 AM
Just to let you guys know, I do plan on heading West out of Houston if the storm comes back my way. Houston is relatively empty, so travel will be a bit easier than it was yesterday.

If the storm heads for Beaumont that means my apartment is 90 miles to the West in this part of Houston. If this Beaumont track is the course, the news reports expect my part of town to have wind speeds of 40 mph to 70 mph. If so, my biggest worry will be flooding from rain.

Today, I plan to move over to a relative's home a few miles further West since they are on higher ground.

Fehler, thanks for the home offer. Lot's of good people have been offering places to stay. As far as HPD and county sheriffs/constables, the news reports that they are on mandatory 12 hour shifts for the duration. There are no reports of police leaving town.

Last night, the news showed a National Guard convoy on I-10 west of Houston heading to Austin. They were full up with personnel and truck sized generators. They had just come from the New Orleans area.

A news reporter interviewed the convoy commander and said that the convoy was going to resupply near Austin and come back to Houston after the storm passes through.

han freak solo
09-23-2005, 07:33 AM
Just to change the mood a bit, some things about my Toronto trip.

From what I saw, Toronto is a beautiful city. It's a good portion bigger than Houston and being on Lake Ontario is awesome.

The crew I was with spent one evening strolling through downtown Toronto. We went up the CN Tower and visited the many levels including the "Sky Pod" which is 1465 ft (447 m) above the ground. The tower itself is 1750 ft (533 m) tall.

We could see across Lake Ontario to New York State. Directly below us was the Rogers Center where a Mariners vs. Blue Jays baseball game was going on. I was watching one of the players trying to steal second from way above.

Another cool thing was watching aircraft land at an airport on the water nearby. The approach path was lower than we were!

The people I was in training with were from the UK, Australia, Canada, the USA, and parts of what used to be Yugoslavia. The Brits could out drink us all. From 5:30pm to as late as 5 am the Brits (who hosted the class by the way) were still partying. And they were ready at 8 am for class again. Class is still going on as I write this.

Overall, the Canadian experience was an excellent one! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif I recommend Toronto to anyone that considers visiting it. Just don't go during winter! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

han freak solo
09-23-2005, 10:42 AM
Packed up and unpluggin'. Going to my relatives with the higher elevation in a couple of hours. See you when I get power and the internet. Local time; Friday 11:40 am.

Taylortony
09-23-2005, 02:17 PM
Be safe Hans................

The Brits could out drink us all. From 5:30pm to as late as 5 am the Brits (who hosted the class by the way) were still partying. And they were ready at 8 am for class again. Class is still going on as I write this.

Funny that... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Remember in the RAF getting in legless at about 6am from clubbing when on detachement, Putting my Uniform on and sitting on the bed to keep awake so I would be ready to go to work when the Minibus came round at 7am.......... Ahh the good old days, We all did it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Remember sitting on a set of steps and being woken up by someone throwing stones at me so I could tell the German sentry to let him on the Squadron base, I was told i was sitting on top of an A frame set up steps with my head on the tailplane of a Jag fast asleep....

han freak solo
09-24-2005, 07:03 AM
Rita completely missed my part of town. I experienced only heavy wind gusts, light rain, and one power outage. No lightning or tornados. Local time; Saturday 8:00 am.

I hope everyone in the path of Rita comes out safe.

DONB3397
09-24-2005, 07:36 AM
Good news, Han! First light shows some pretty serious problems east of you. But it looks like the refineries got through without the kind of damage they expected. That could be good news for everyone, I think.