PDA

View Full Version : gwx..a couple of questions

aland2
11-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Just started a career patrol in gwx after using standard sh3 previously....
1. activate beacon control.....huh?
2.get messages from other boats with grid references in 5 digits or letters.... eg al0371.
does the 71 signify how many klms into the grid?
Also from these other boats I get sighting reports of convoys..no grid reference....no time,info that is clearly useless to me if I am 1000 klm away.
Rant over.......hope someone can help

Mittelwaechter
11-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi aland2,

the radio messages in GWX are for immersion purposes and don't reflect actual happenings.

You may want to reinstall the original SH3 radio messages (TXT) into C:\...\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Campaigns\Camp aign

Some historical scenarios are integrated into the radio chatter and do happen in GWX - Bismarck or Duenkirchen, D-Day...

The positions are coded like this: AN 16 4 9 is Grid AN16 sector 4 area 9.
Make a tictactoe grid into AN16 and you'll get 9 sectors.
Now make a tictactoe grid in sector 4 and you'll have 9 areas.
Not that difficult.

aland2
11-14-2010, 01:02 PM
Ummmm........tictatoe grid....? ya got me.

Mittelwaechter
11-14-2010, 02:03 PM
http://www.johnthurlow.com/children/Fun/tictactoe.jpg

In Australia noughts and crosses http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

aland2
11-14-2010, 02:47 PM
OK..thanks for your help....but....I don.t think that GWX for me for a career patrolling is gonna be too good.My first patrol,October 1940 sent to DH54...3300 klm approx...sighted nothing all the way and in the grid...so persevered and headed for Gibratar.. 1600 klm.. sighted 2 neutrals in DH56..got to within 30 klm of Gibraltar harbour...an area usually thick of warships...nothing!Headed west towards
home ...contact in CG94..chased that only to find a Spanish schooner.....no mods enabled.Think I will revert back to standard SH3

Mittelwaechter
11-15-2010, 03:03 AM
Patience pays, Herr Kaleun.

GWX is much more realistic, you'll have to bear some days without contacts. It happened a U-Boot coming home low on fuel without sinking anything or only one or two fishing trawlers. Head for the convoy routes or hunt in the Western Approaches north and south of Ireland and around Rockall Bank. North of Scapa Flow and along the British east coast you'll find plenty of bait. And plenty of hostile aircraft and along the east coast some mines too. Even the channel is full of nice freighters, but that area is hard to handle. Most Kaleuns fear the shallow waters.

Gibraltar is a good spot too. Stay westward and find the juicy convoys.

You do not have to patrol the ordered grid. Feel free to decide where to go. There is a map of the convoy routes on your navigation screen in the upper left.

salty_monkey
11-15-2010, 04:45 PM
No! Do not give up on GWX, please, I was going to bin SHIII after a few days as a number of things annoyed me with the so called "vanilla" version, installed GWX and WOW, its like 10000 times better, lack of action at times is frustrating, but a tatic I emplyed was to simply head towards nearest Allied port and try and sneek in or just sit somewhere for a day or two and see what comes along.

This current mission, spent a week chasing shadows with no contacts, but the stumbled across a convoy.

Finding a convoy is so exciting after several missions with nothing, again very realistic, where would the enjoyment and fun be if it was just a arcade fish in barrel shoot, where you could encounter such a convoy within a few mins of your mission?

Of course you have your own ideas what you want out of a game, but for me realism and authenticity is somthing I crave, but is sadly lacking in many games, including by all accounts later versions of SH, however SH III is pretty much spot on.

Mittelwaechter
11-16-2010, 03:30 AM
^^ http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

You may want to install SH3 Commander to have crew transfers in and out, sabotage, malfunctions, the free choice of your asigned grid and much more.

With JSGME - the brilliant mod enabler - you may skin your U-Boot, add new aircraft, more different freighters, new GUIs and attack tools...

The SH3ditor is a mighty tool to modify your game yourself. Tweak nearly every aspect of your U-Boot, your weapons, your enemy...

And the Game-Editor of SH3 will give you the control over convoys and contacts, how often they show up - and where. Want more warships in Gibraltar? More friendly aircraft over the channel? A juicy taskforce in AM25?

Cooperate with someone on the board and exchange scenarios (campaign or singleplayer) to enjoy the surprise factor.

This game is endless fun and GWX is a fantastic base for that.

WilhelmSchulz.
11-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Mittelwaechter:
http://www.johnthurlow.com/children/Fun/tictactoe.jpg

In Australia noughts and crosses http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
carefull with tic-tack toe on a pc. it could start WWIII.