PDA

View Full Version : What a fight!!!

tomtheyak
06-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Had a fantastic fight with RAF328thCDR, RAF328thGunrunner and RAF328thKnight flying Reds and (IIRC) 22GCT_Italo, III/JG26_Jag., I/JG78_Flix and another gent (possibly TomcatViP) flying Blue last night at around midnight BST on the Spits.v.109s 'Operaton Cobra' map.
Man, it was awesome!

Really showed the value of gr8 teamwork and the exceptional flying skills of all involved.

Gunny ran into the gaggle of 4 blues in his 25lb MkIX, with CDR and I out of range but hankering to help out. Alas the odds told and Gunny went down, and CDR, on the scene before me, got into trouble in his Tempest not long after. Knight was taking off but was going to be a good couple of minutes and I, in a MkIXeCLP, wasn't relishing the prospect of taking on 2 190D9s and 2 109G10s alone! Staying high I spotted the gaggle milling about above the clouds at angels 6-8 whilst I warily circled above.

Then two 109s spotted me and tried to climb up. Watching carefully I waited till they had lost flying speed and then dropped in on the leader; a bit risky as his wingy might have had a pot shot opportunity but I hoped the speed of my attack and his low speed would make any shot at me unlikely to hit.

The leader was watching and as I thundered down he broke left into the attack, forcing me to pull deflection enough that I lost sight of him under my nose. I took a blind shot and yo-yo'd back up seeing some light debris coming off the 109 as I passed; I'd hit him but not conclusively. Again warily checking around I watched the 109 descend into the clouds and saw what i presumed to be a 190 some way off to the west, slightly lower but no sign of the 2nd 109 whose lead I had attacked.

Keeping high, I called Knight, CDR and Gunny and let them know of the various positions of the bandits, and Knight in particular was closing on the fight at low level - too low I was worried he'd be bounced but apparently he'd found the one of 109s I'd attacked beneath the cloud near the coast and maybe the Dora. Meanwhile I attacked another 109 (in hindsight I'd picked up the number two I'd lost sight of) and dived down on him in a slow left hand turn. He never saw me coming and as he gently turned left I dropped in dead astern and held fire till I was sure I was in range. Two heavy bursts removed his left wing and sent him spinning violently into the sea. Meanwhile Knight (in a standard MkIXC) had been fighting in and below the clouds at 3000ft odd, reporting that he'd seen another 109 going in with a stopped prop! Apparently the 109 I had damaged earlier had suffered a bad fuel leak. I cant recall if Knight got the Dora that had been down there also, but CDR and Gunny turned up not long after and with no bandits in area we climbed and headed east out to the Orne river (or the P-trap as it is colloquially known round these parts).

I joined CDR (got some nice ntrks from here on in I'll post some screenies l8r) out to sea at angels 10 odd and we proceeded east IDing Gunny a ways off to the south. Suddenly I picked up a bogey at angels 6-8 over the clouds near the coast and CDR soon called a tally-ho as we roared in.

It was a D9 and he spotted our attack, breaking high and right as CDR got in range. CDR managed to get some hits to his rear fus as we blasted thru and Gunny joined in to help keep him occupied. The skillful 190 pilot evaded the three of us for another few passes and I left Gunny and CDR to him, as I was concerned about the possibilty of more of the enemy coming in from the East.

Sure enough I found a two contacts, one over the coast at 5,000ft the other slightly higher and further south as I raced in to keep them occupied and out of the way of the others. The nearer kept on west but the southerly contact was coming at me fast. He passed me down the left hand side as I climbed up to make sure of my enegy advantage, all the while calling out positions and keeping an eye to the east (and everywhere else too!!) for more bandits.

The next minutes were tense and frenzied as the four of us called bandits and tried to clear each other, so het-up in fact that I have little recollection of details, but thanks to our excellent mutual support I managed to bag another 109 and the others splashed a couple more also. CDR took some hits from a 190 in a headon pass, but thankfully the damage was not severe and he was still able to fight. The 190 dived hard and fast for home with me toiling to catch up, my decision to break off finally being clinched by the large and accurate bursts of heavy flak that appeared. Also my fuel level was creeping down to the 10 gallon mark and I didnt want to get caught too far in with no juice.

Gunny meanwhile, in his enthusiasm had chased a bandit even closer to the enemy base than I had dared gone and had picked up another (greedy sod!). As i raced back to intervene, i called for him to drag west at the earliest opportunity. He thankfully did so, and unwittingly a 190 fell for the impromptu trap and I cut him off in a fast diving turn. Gunny broke starboard just as I pulled into range and the Dora pulled nicely into a deflection aiding turn. Unfortunately my aiming was off, my first burst missed and correcting wildly my second only just caught his starboard wing, but it was enough to send him flicking seawards. I couldnt hang around and watch him go in however, as Knight called a warning and I looked east just in time as his mate was about to pull on me the same drag'n'bag tactic I had just successfully orchestrated. I pulled into a hard turn and he went wide behind me. A few more turns and I might get a shot I thought as I worredly checked my fuel guage...

At that moment the mission eneded. I have no doubt that the blues may well have caused us some real headaches as we tried to disengage as most of us were low on fuel by that point - but the teamwork that these aforementioned gentlemen displayed was fantastic, selfless and damned impressive. I get the feeling the blues weren't all on comms but they put up a bloody good fight nevertheless - I know that we'd have been in a far worse position if they had been coordinating on TS.

Here's to more of the same on the best server in town!

Cheers!

tomtheyak
06-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Had a fantastic fight with RAF328thCDR, RAF328thGunrunner and RAF328thKnight flying Reds and (IIRC) 22GCT_Italo, III/JG26_Jag., I/JG78_Flix and another gent (possibly TomcatViP) flying Blue last night at around midnight BST on the Spits.v.109s 'Operaton Cobra' map.
Man, it was awesome!

Really showed the value of gr8 teamwork and the exceptional flying skills of all involved.

Gunny ran into the gaggle of 4 blues in his 25lb MkIX, with CDR and I out of range but hankering to help out. Alas the odds told and Gunny went down, and CDR, on the scene before me, got into trouble in his Tempest not long after. Knight was taking off but was going to be a good couple of minutes and I, in a MkIXeCLP, wasn't relishing the prospect of taking on 2 190D9s and 2 109G10s alone! Staying high I spotted the gaggle milling about above the clouds at angels 6-8 whilst I warily circled above.

Then two 109s spotted me and tried to climb up. Watching carefully I waited till they had lost flying speed and then dropped in on the leader; a bit risky as his wingy might have had a pot shot opportunity but I hoped the speed of my attack and his low speed would make any shot at me unlikely to hit.

The leader was watching and as I thundered down he broke left into the attack, forcing me to pull deflection enough that I lost sight of him under my nose. I took a blind shot and yo-yo'd back up seeing some light debris coming off the 109 as I passed; I'd hit him but not conclusively. Again warily checking around I watched the 109 descend into the clouds and saw what i presumed to be a 190 some way off to the west, slightly lower but no sign of the 2nd 109 whose lead I had attacked.

Keeping high, I called Knight, CDR and Gunny and let them know of the various positions of the bandits, and Knight in particular was closing on the fight at low level - too low I was worried he'd be bounced but apparently he'd found the one of 109s I'd attacked beneath the cloud near the coast and maybe the Dora. Meanwhile I attacked another 109 (in hindsight I'd picked up the number two I'd lost sight of) and dived down on him in a slow left hand turn. He never saw me coming and as he gently turned left I dropped in dead astern and held fire till I was sure I was in range. Two heavy bursts removed his left wing and sent him spinning violently into the sea. Meanwhile Knight (in a standard MkIXC) had been fighting in and below the clouds at 3000ft odd, reporting that he'd seen another 109 going in with a stopped prop! Apparently the 109 I had damaged earlier had suffered a bad fuel leak. I cant recall if Knight got the Dora that had been down there also, but CDR and Gunny turned up not long after and with no bandits in area we climbed and headed east out to the Orne river (or the P-trap as it is colloquially known round these parts).

I joined CDR (got some nice ntrks from here on in I'll post some screenies l8r) out to sea at angels 10 odd and we proceeded east IDing Gunny a ways off to the south. Suddenly I picked up a bogey at angels 6-8 over the clouds near the coast and CDR soon called a tally-ho as we roared in.

It was a D9 and he spotted our attack, breaking high and right as CDR got in range. CDR managed to get some hits to his rear fus as we blasted thru and Gunny joined in to help keep him occupied. The skillful 190 pilot evaded the three of us for another few passes and I left Gunny and CDR to him, as I was concerned about the possibilty of more of the enemy coming in from the East.

Sure enough I found a two contacts, one over the coast at 5,000ft the other slightly higher and further south as I raced in to keep them occupied and out of the way of the others. The nearer kept on west but the southerly contact was coming at me fast. He passed me down the left hand side as I climbed up to make sure of my enegy advantage, all the while calling out positions and keeping an eye to the east (and everywhere else too!!) for more bandits.

The next minutes were tense and frenzied as the four of us called bandits and tried to clear each other, so het-up in fact that I have little recollection of details, but thanks to our excellent mutual support I managed to bag another 109 and the others splashed a couple more also. CDR took some hits from a 190 in a headon pass, but thankfully the damage was not severe and he was still able to fight. The 190 dived hard and fast for home with me toiling to catch up, my decision to break off finally being clinched by the large and accurate bursts of heavy flak that appeared. Also my fuel level was creeping down to the 10 gallon mark and I didnt want to get caught too far in with no juice.

Gunny meanwhile, in his enthusiasm had chased a bandit even closer to the enemy base than I had dared gone and had picked up another (greedy sod!). As i raced back to intervene, i called for him to drag west at the earliest opportunity. He thankfully did so, and unwittingly a 190 fell for the impromptu trap and I cut him off in a fast diving turn. Gunny broke starboard just as I pulled into range and the Dora pulled nicely into a deflection aiding turn. Unfortunately my aiming was off, my first burst missed and correcting wildly my second only just caught his starboard wing, but it was enough to send him flicking seawards. I couldnt hang around and watch him go in however, as Knight called a warning and I looked east just in time as his mate was about to pull on me the same drag'n'bag tactic I had just successfully orchestrated. I pulled into a hard turn and he went wide behind me. A few more turns and I might get a shot I thought as I worredly checked my fuel guage...

At that moment the mission eneded. I have no doubt that the blues may well have caused us some real headaches as we tried to disengage as most of us were low on fuel by that point - but the teamwork that these aforementioned gentlemen displayed was fantastic, selfless and damned impressive. I get the feeling the blues weren't all on comms but they put up a bloody good fight nevertheless - I know that we'd have been in a far worse position if they had been coordinating on TS.

Here's to more of the same on the best server in town!

Cheers!

danjama
06-26-2006, 07:09 PM
cool.