PDA

View Full Version : Prop-pitch and turnability

jugent
05-24-2005, 12:05 AM
I have been scrutinizing some track-files of dogfights and seen that many pilots tinker with prop-pitch and closed throttle while dogfighting.
I have tested to tinker with different pitch at idle engine too but I dont have noticed any difference in turnability.
In real-life shouldnt a high pitch and low rpm increase drag and change of pivotpoint of airframe?
Any thoughts or experience about this?

jugent
05-24-2005, 12:05 AM
I have been scrutinizing some track-files of dogfights and seen that many pilots tinker with prop-pitch and closed throttle while dogfighting.
I have tested to tinker with different pitch at idle engine too but I dont have noticed any difference in turnability.
In real-life shouldnt a high pitch and low rpm increase drag and change of pivotpoint of airframe?
Any thoughts or experience about this?

Gwalker70
05-24-2005, 02:07 AM
I know some people who reduce prop pitch to turn better.. some planes react better than others... the people I know who do this .. do it with the P51 .. seems to react well to this

Badsight.
05-24-2005, 02:17 AM
the best way is to test & pratice

as with any other part of the game , its not your own knowledge till you try it for yourself

F19_Ob
05-24-2005, 03:39 AM
The gain is really marginal. I try it on and off, mostly with 109 in different situations.

A litle can be enough sometimes but for me there is many more tactical things to consider before using these things.
The most gain I think is when BnZ'ing and adjusting proppitch for maximum effect for the climb out (still marginal though).
In the 109 that ofcourse isn't nescessary, since it already has the advantage of climb and accelleration aswell as level speed over most allied planes, but perhaps in the much slower planes one might gain something.

Golodnikov adressed a problem with lendlease planes wich was that the linked prop-system made accelleration a bit slower and a dive after german fighters had been more efficient with a de-linked system. (if I recall correctly).
With that said he felt that the speed difference
between german and allied was not that great and marginal in combat.
Factory-speed and the actual in combat conditions was very different (according to Golodnikov).

It's also difficult to show tracks where it's effectiveness is shown, since the gain is so small that it could depend on lots of other things among them, skillful flying. Repeating the same situation with and without proppitch is needed for comparison but quite difficult to achieve.
This I suspect is the reason why the community still haven't any tracks of the event.

There is nothing wrong with using the prop pitch and it's another way of knowing your plane better, but in my opinion it's nothing wich works wonders and fall far behind the tactics knowledge and thinking ahead in battle.
Prop-pitch has almost mythical status on these boards but few details around its use are explained and evaluated. (my opinion)
There is an idea that all the experts use it.

With that said, I'm still very interested in tracks where the advantage is clearly shown.
-----------------------------------
If U want to test it U can do it in level flight in different starting speeds and see to it that its constant and that u are not accellerating before using prop-pitch.
Remember to take the time carefully so U dont have different times for the tests.

Testing it in climbs or dives is very difficult because of the need of exact angles and speed for each test. This enables alot of other factors to play a part in the result.
Please post your results. It's always interesting to see others experiences.
-----------------------------------
A few thoughts.

cheers.