PDA

View Full Version : Hawk 75 AI needs attention

SkyChimp
09-10-2006, 05:58 PM
I'm sure anyone that has played this game for more than a week MUST have come to the conclusion that the Hawk 75 is the lamest AI plane in this game. Even in ACE mode, this plane pretty much just flys straight and level. Can't something be done to perk this thing up? It was, in real life, a wonderfully manueverable plane.

Additionally, it bursts into flames with just a minor hit.

Anyone?

ElAurens
09-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Agreed SkyChimp.

It needs a cockpit as well.

Be sure.

faustnik
09-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by SkyChimp:
Can't something be done to perk this thing up?

Best solution, make it flyable. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Kuna_
09-11-2006, 02:05 PM
G.11 is also messed up in modelling.

Few days ago 5/5 times I shoot at it it exploded.
I will test it further tho. But just how can a G.11 explode under 7,62 and/or 20mm fire?

Fox_3
09-11-2006, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Kuna_:
G.11 is also messed up in modelling.

Few days ago 5/5 times I shoot at it it exploded.
I will test it further tho. But just how can a G.11 explode under 7,62 and/or 20mm fire?

Must have been carrying ammo to the partisans. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

VW-IceFire
09-11-2006, 06:06 PM
N1K-2J got all of its armor plating...can't bring that thing down!

ElAurens
09-11-2006, 08:56 PM
I thought we were discussing the Hawk 75 here?

leitmotiv
09-16-2006, 10:02 AM
I'm surprised at this evaluation of the Hawk 75. I have a Casablanca, F4F-4s v Hawk 75s, scenario of which I am fond, and even set on Average the Curtiss product dives, climbs, and flips like a fresh caught trout---well enough to make a Wildcat wheeze. Maybe my Hawk 75s have more of Henri Bergson's elan vital?

JG52Karaya-X
09-16-2006, 10:36 AM
The Hawk75 climbs, dives, turns just well on ACE setting here - actually they use to hang on the prop like helicopters a lot and are thus quite difficult to shoot down in - say - an Emil.

heywooood
09-16-2006, 10:42 AM
I love fighting the Hawk 75 in an Emil...

The Hawks look great in their French markings and are a great opponent on 'ace' settings.

1 vs 2or3 in a quick Smolensk is a blast.

jasonbirder
09-16-2006, 11:22 AM
More than other planes they do seem to have a tendancy to fly into the ground or hills...I regularly practice in a QMB 109E vs 2 Hawk 75s and i frequently see them auger in!

LEBillfish
09-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Fought them often......seem fast and agile, make great fights vs. a Ki-43-Ia......

QUite flying on rookie settings and you'll have more competition http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif.........Besides, we don't need Hawks till we get Ki-27's.

ElAurens
09-16-2006, 01:59 PM
Please remember that at altitudes below 15000ft. the Hawk 75 could out turn a Spitfire, any Spitfire, and only an FW 190 could out roll it, and not by much either. With the exception of level speed it was a superior aircraft to the P40 series.

Tater-SW-
09-16-2006, 03:56 PM
RAF Hawk 75s (Mohawks) fought Ki-43s as well as Ki-27s (least that's what I remember from Bloody Shambles). Too bad we don't have a Ki-30 or Ki-15...

tater

SkyChimp
09-17-2006, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure which game I'm playing, but I find the Hawk 75 in ACE mode lame. To me, the only reason its any ort of a challenge in the Hayabusa is becasue of the totally inadequate armament of the Japanese plane. Otherwise, I find it to be more of a clay pidgeon than anything else.

LEBillfish
09-17-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm not sure which game I'm playing, but I find the Hawk 75 in ACE mode lame. To me, the only reason its any ort of a challenge in the Hayabusa is becasue of the totally inadequate armament of the Japanese plane. Otherwise, I find it to be more of a clay pidgeon than anything else.

I've found higher skill modes for AI sometimes make for easier kills simply in that they seem to fly the "Ideal".....The ideal not jinking and jerking about, yet eeking every last ounce of power and speed out of a plane........Start with a disadvantage and see what happens, often you can never get a shot at them in an equal plane as they can simply out climb/extend you...Their attacks graceful swooping passes retaining E, to take time and re-set up for a second.

Rookies flopping all over as the live ones do here..........Not that this is your answer, yet something to consider.

heywooood
09-17-2006, 12:41 PM
yeah - I've never seen an AI Hawk75 auger in...

more like what billfish says.

try Smolensk 'ace' 1v1 at a disadvantage using an E4 or whatever you like thats roughly equal and you should be challenged.

try 1v2or3 for even more fun.

leitmotiv
09-18-2006, 11:23 AM
Billfish is right about Ace setting. I used to enjoy 109F baiting in an I-153 or I-16. I found the Ace to never attack unless he was in a situation where all his ducks were lined up perfectly. The best way to beat him was for me to do what more maneuverable, significantly slower aircraft have always done---go down on the deck and wait for the high performance plane to come to me (assuming you can't start with an altitude advantage.) I was so bored with the pedantic and predictable Aces I quit going one-on-one with them and only mix them in with Average AI in brawls (and, inevitably, get shot right in the face by one). The Average give you a good fight.

heywooood
09-19-2006, 06:06 PM
this is odd... I notice the 'ace' pilots are always aggressive and the rest are less so.

setting the AI lower, from what I've seen on my rig, is asking for one pass maybe, then watching the idiot either bank gently and then break off and lazily extend or just lazily extend...*yawn* down he goes.

You guys are trying to say the 'aces' are boring?...I've never been bored by them - but I try to use different tactics and conditions in 1v1 encounters - it isnt always CAVU 'advantage' 25% fuel etc...as I think many in here are using.

and at any rate - you MUST try 1v2 aces or 1v3 aces.

Get yourself outnumbered and then see how easy the AI is....

leitmotiv
09-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Surely you are kidding? Three Aces or two Aces against the player? Would be over in 15 seconds. They would get a kill shot regardless of the deflection unless you stuck them in Po-2s and the player has a Fw 190D.

heywooood
09-19-2006, 06:29 PM
sorry - not so...but it is lively.

you have to constantly break and switch targets - taking aim quikly and firing short and accurate bursts.

reverse, extend, maintain energy, keep a height advantage etc...no simple barber pole down to the deck. You have to fight.

sometimes you get the bear and sometimes he gets you.

JamesBlonde888
09-19-2006, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Surely you are kidding? Three Aces or two Aces against the player? Would be over in 15 seconds. They would get a kill shot regardless of the deflection unless you stuck them in Po-2s and the player has a Fw 190D.

Defeatist rubbish. In my airforce you would be shot.

mortoma1958
09-20-2006, 11:17 AM
I have a I-153 Dgen offline campaign going on the Leningrad/Finnish map. Several times AI buddies and me have gotten into to DFs with Hawks and they were very, very squirrely. They did not just fly straight and level, but fought well!! Although I do recall times past flying Russian in similar campaigns where they did just let you shoot them down easily. But I don't think AI behavior changes from one plane type to another. There is no correlation between aircraft type and AI behavior overall.

PBNA-Boosher
09-20-2006, 07:07 PM
I find it depends where you fly against the Hawks. Against a Zeke, for example, I never found them maneuvering much. Against my 109E, however, they loop, swirl, turn, and twirl around me in circles. I get one of them, then the rest of them pour on the lead like Emeril pours on the brandy.... then it's all over.

JamesBlonde888
09-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Since I bought the ultimate edition DVD all e/a take evasive action. Even Heinkels.

leitmotiv
09-22-2006, 04:52 AM
One of my favorite smashes is F4F-4s v Hawk 75A-3s (Casablanca '42). The Hawks are set on Average and they always put on a worthy show with wild maneuvering suitable to give the Wildcats grief, and if you don't watch out they'll nail you. They do the same against 109E-4s. Another wild fish on the line is the MS406. As a matter of fact, I consider these two to be the most interesting opponents along with the J8A.

Bremspropeller
09-22-2006, 02:47 PM
The MXY7's AI is even worse: it's crash propability is like 100% http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Kuna_
09-22-2006, 10:00 PM
Since you're oldtimer here congrats on taking my time to actually check this out. I bited, ok.

Ki-43 vs. P-36? According to Hardball's AC viewer Hayabusa is faster than Hawk, it turns better than Hawk and when you meet them in equal terms what do you expect? I doubt that has anything to do with the game(s) you're playing.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f193/Kuna_/fb/hav-ki43-vs-p36.gif

Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Surely you are kidding? Three Aces or two Aces against the player? Would be over in 15 seconds. They would get a kill shot regardless of the deflection unless you stuck them in Po-2s and the player has a Fw 190D. Check out the track I made for the purpose of this thread. I rate Hawk 75 as medium on fighter Ace Ai toughness.

I agree with heywooood on this matter, you need to constantly switch targets and learn about Ai behaviour. Otherwise they will nail you in no time as they are exceptionally accurate on ACE level. Too accurate sometimes if you ask me especially in hard negative Gs deflections. Also they're very nasty in h2h.

http://www.esnips.com/web/kuna-fb-tracks search for 405-kunai16-vs-4xhawk75-ace50.zip.

leitmotiv
09-22-2006, 11:44 PM
I am well acquainted with AI behavior and learned years ago an Ace will crack you with a snap burst right through your windscreen with unerring accuracy under circumstances which defy statistical probability; thus, I quit bothering with the bistids unless I was in the mood for Russian roulette Oleg style.

249th_Maico
09-26-2006, 12:31 AM
My experience has been that the Hawk is a worthy opponent in a DF. I use them often when creating early scenerios. Of course in the 109E or the 110 they can be a handfull but In the "busa" or Zero they are easier. Try four vs four. You get careless and slow down, the Hawk will get you or send you home looking like Swiss Cheese. Dont compare it to Uber Planes. Oranges to Oranges please.
IMHO, needs a pit. BOB would not be complete without it. Hawk was a major player in the early days. I expect it to be as manuverable as the Brewster but with more Horsepower and Punch.

El Turo
09-27-2006, 09:40 AM
The Hawk75 is a great diver as well.. although I'm not sure that dive acceleration is super accurate in this sim (crosses fingers for BOB). They are fairly fragile, but very nimble fighters.. and I've always had a good time battling them in quick missions. Their biggest crutches are their weak climb rate and painfully slow top speed. BUT.. if you can spend the time to climb on top of an opponent before the engagement occurs, then you hold all the cards in that nimble little bug.

Over in WWII Online, the Hawk is a very capable fighter below 3km, especially if you get the bounce on a 109 or 110. The pea shooters don't do much against the 190's or bigger bombers with any kind of regularity, though.

MOH_Hirth
10-11-2006, 06:24 PM
IL-2 Series was the best sim i play, but P-36 not viable and no Spifire MK-I are very important planes to be out.