PDA

View Full Version : Memorable Moments

XyZspineZyX
06-18-2003, 11:20 PM
Hi,

It must be story night, I thought you may also enjoy these:

Vaughan Fittall, a flight commander & Typhoon pilot with 198 squadron, recalled:

'We were often disappointed the Luftwaffe seldom had a go at us, so sometimes we used to cross the sea with our flaps down and our engines throttled back in the hope that we would appear on German radar as slow-flying Hurricanes and tempt the 190's to have a go at us.
'On 7th October, 1943 we saw some 190s and then it was a matter of full throttle and after them as we expected them to head for the clouds However, two 190s chose to hug the ground and gradually Mike Bryan (C.O. of 198) and I draw ahead of the squadron and once in range fired alternate bursts until one went down. It was 198's first confirmed kill.

Another memorable encounter for a Typhoon pilot took place on January 24, 1944. Flying Officer W G Eagle of 198 Squadron, who had seen considerable action in the Western Desert in 1941, was flying alone at sea level over the North Sea.

He had become separated from the Squadron and ran into 12 Me109s fitted with long range tanks.

Being well placed for an attack, Bill Eagle climbed up under the leading 109 - they were at 300 feet - and fired. The 109's tank blazed and exploded, enveloping the 109 in burning fuel. Eagle fired into a second 109, which trailed smoke, lurched to one side and crashed into a third 109. All three went into the sea as the others rammed home their throttles and sped for base.

I think these stories are truly amazing and, once again, show how much we owe these men. I think I might do a 'meet the aces' night at Duxford on the 12th of July, should be a memorable occasion.

Matt

http://www.world-data-systems.com/lomac/pirhana.jpg

Message Edited on 06/18/03 10:26PM by mattduggan

Message Edited on 06/18/0310:26PM by mattduggan

XyZspineZyX
06-18-2003, 11:20 PM
Hi,

It must be story night, I thought you may also enjoy these:

Vaughan Fittall, a flight commander & Typhoon pilot with 198 squadron, recalled:

'We were often disappointed the Luftwaffe seldom had a go at us, so sometimes we used to cross the sea with our flaps down and our engines throttled back in the hope that we would appear on German radar as slow-flying Hurricanes and tempt the 190's to have a go at us.
'On 7th October, 1943 we saw some 190s and then it was a matter of full throttle and after them as we expected them to head for the clouds However, two 190s chose to hug the ground and gradually Mike Bryan (C.O. of 198) and I draw ahead of the squadron and once in range fired alternate bursts until one went down. It was 198's first confirmed kill.

Another memorable encounter for a Typhoon pilot took place on January 24, 1944. Flying Officer W G Eagle of 198 Squadron, who had seen considerable action in the Western Desert in 1941, was flying alone at sea level over the North Sea.

He had become separated from the Squadron and ran into 12 Me109s fitted with long range tanks.

Being well placed for an attack, Bill Eagle climbed up under the leading 109 - they were at 300 feet - and fired. The 109's tank blazed and exploded, enveloping the 109 in burning fuel. Eagle fired into a second 109, which trailed smoke, lurched to one side and crashed into a third 109. All three went into the sea as the others rammed home their throttles and sped for base.

I think these stories are truly amazing and, once again, show how much we owe these men. I think I might do a 'meet the aces' night at Duxford on the 12th of July, should be a memorable occasion.

Matt

http://www.world-data-systems.com/lomac/pirhana.jpg

Message Edited on 06/18/03 10:26PM by mattduggan

Message Edited on 06/18/0310:26PM by mattduggan

XyZspineZyX
06-19-2003, 12:12 AM
Very nice, keep them coming!
/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif